As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3 Freezing issue

RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So last night I turn on my PS3 and it goes to the XMB. Fine and dandy just like always. I set the controller down go to the kitchen to get some water and come back and start to move around the XMB and notice... well it's not moving. It's frozen. But... well... what? I can hear the "clicking noise" of the XMB.

So that's that. What do I do? What are my options? I've been having a lot of problems with my PS3 lately doing things like this, but it would usually only freeze up during really heavy games (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Assassin's Creed), not the XMB. I have one of the original 60 GB PS3s. I bought it used from Gamestop a few months after the PS3 release, so I'm pretty sure that it's not under warranty anymore.

Am I just shit out of luck and have to purchase a new PS3 or do I have options to fix this? I've not tried contacting Sony yet.

Please help me. A little over a month until Christmas and there's so many awesome games I want to play. :(

steam_sig.png
Ryadic on

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    first thing first: back up all saved games and media you care about. can't get them off with the ps3.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Arivia wrote: »
    first thing first: back up all saved games and media you care about. can't get them off with the ps3.

What's the best way to do this?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Arivia wrote: »

What's the best way to do this?
    USB thumb drive/external HDD. Just plug it in to one of the PS3's USB ports and copy everything over.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited November 2009
    Alright. I'll give that a whirl. Hopefully my PS3 will allow me to do it before freezing.

Aside from backing up, what should I do after that? I assume the problem is the GPU since when it froze everything else was still working.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you checked to make sure you have the most recent firmware? Otherwise you can always use the "restore to default settings" option.

:edit: Here's the guide for doing a backup, also http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/backuputility.html

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I have the most up to date Firmware. I know that. I guess I'll restore to see if that helps at all.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is it your controller? Sounds like it could be your controller freaking out.

Iceman.USAF on
    edited November 2009
    Ok, sorry to necro this thread, but nothing so far has worked. I backed up the files I cared about, which wasn't much of anything. Reformatted and still froze up on me on Oblivion last night. I still saw graphic tearing prior to the freeze up. =\

I'm pretty sure that the fan is the problem, but it doesn't sound it's running sometimes so I think it is overheating.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ryadic wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that the fan is the problem, but it doesn't sound it's running sometimes so I think it is overheating.

The ps3 does have a variable fan. When I first turn it on, it barely makes noise but if I play anything for over an hour it does kick up. If I then quit to the XMB it'll go quieter again after a few minutes.

Biggest question is there enough space around the side / back exaust to actually cool it? If the input air is pulling in the same hot air it just blew out, it'll eventually overheat.

Gilbert0 on
    edited November 2009
    Hmmmm. That may be the problem. It is pretty enclosed. I guess I never thought about that. I'll try moving it elsewhere to see if that alleviates the problem. Thanks.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png