As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Big question on my mind:

Motorola Droid or HTC Eris.

Droid is Andriod 2.0, Eris is 1.5. Which, iirc, means that no google maps navigation among other things. Eris should eventually update to 2.0.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got to the store at 6:35, 4th in line, got my phone in the first round. This thing's screen is amazing. Currently setting up music sync. We'll see how podcasts/audiobooks turn out.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I am trying to figure out if I want the Droid or Eric. I honestly think the Eris looks better, and it will eventually upgrade to android 2.0 as well as being cheaper.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No complaints so far. D-pad is useful for those moments when I have no aim.

RoyceSraphim on
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Artreus wrote: »
    Yeah I am trying to figure out if I want the Droid or Eric. I honestly think the Eris looks better, and it will eventually upgrade to android 2.0 as well as being cheaper.

moto.jpg
    what you get when you google "motorola eric"

Kriz on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Feel free to PM me any thoughts/reviews on these new phones. I handle a lot of cell phone related stuff here on campus and I'd like to hear opinions on it before we start fulfilling user's requests for it. (We have like 1800 cell phones *sob*)

Edit: Especially want opinions on how well/unwell it works with Exchange.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
    edited November 2009
    What was the final checkout total when you order on-line?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good news! My dad went to a VZW store in the city (Manhattan for non NYers) today and it turns out his upgrade has been available for a month and my upgrade becomes available at the end of this month. So I will be getting this goddamn phone, and hopefully for the $149 price.

So if you have an Family plan, it just tacks on $30 dollars to the bill for the Smart Phone/Data usage plan, right? We already pay for unlimited texts/pic messages, have our allotted minutes setup, etc. etc.

Goose! on
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Our monthly bill is something like $14,000..Actually it's more i think. we divide it up and split it between departments so much I can't remember.

Our most popular cell phones are the Blackberry 8830 and Storms, The old 7...whatevers, Palm Treos, motorola Qs, rzrs, Samsung omnia's and sagas. Way too much shit to keep track of.

TTODewback on
    Bless your heart.
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Droid owners, odd question: Is the USB port open? like, can you load/unload pics/movies/music/etc. via the USB port?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanz wrote: »
    Droid owners, odd question: Is the USB port open? like, can you load/unload pics/movies/music/etc. via the USB port?
    yep. Anything you want.

JAEF on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I just got the Droid today (replaced an iPhone 3G). Seems a bit buggy. After I charged the phone I unplugged it and about an hour later the light next to the USB port was on and when I woke the phone up it said it was charging. Neat trick.

I also had a contact stuck in my favorites list for some reason. I had to delete the contact entirely and re-add it to get it off the list.

The phone has also lost the data connection (wifi and 3G) twice now. Both times I had to reboot to get data back. It said it had signal but I was getting no data through.

Epyon9283 on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So my new every two isn't up until April. Is there anything I can do to get the Droid now at the promo price? I have a friend who works for Bestbuy if that's helpful, although I doubt it is.

Also: I used to have a 20% discount from Target when I worked there. New job, pays more, but the discount is only 8%. Can I actually get in trouble for not telling them?

Double also: Is the cheapest a droid plan can possible be still like $80?

Mai-Kero on
    edited November 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Good news! My dad went to a VZW store in the city (Manhattan for non NYers) today and it turns out his upgrade has been available for a month and my upgrade becomes available at the end of this month. So I will be getting this goddamn phone, and hopefully for the $149 price.

So if you have an Family plan, it just tacks on $30 dollars to the bill for the Smart Phone/Data usage plan, right? We already pay for unlimited texts/pic messages, have our allotted minutes setup, etc. etc.

If you were adding a whole new line it would be $40. So yeah it is pretty much just adding $30 as far as you are concerned. It took a minute to get this figured out at Best Buy today.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited November 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    yep. Anything you want.

What about via Bluetooth?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • RobobanditRobobandit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yep. Anything you want.

There's a bluetooth file transfer app on the marketplace.. I forget the name..

Robobandit on
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Robobandit wrote: »
    yep. Anything you want.

There's a bluetooth file transfer app on the marketplace.. I forget the name..

It's called Bluetooth File Transfer.

Epyon9283 on
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When people say you can replace the touchscreen keyboard, does that replace it everywhere or what? Because the HTC Eris one was great in comparison to the Motodroid version.

It is probably the only thing holding me back, considering I have NE2 discounts of $100 still. I thought that they had reduced it to $50, or did I miss something? I'm not on an expensive plan, so it isn't that. I'm not really complaining, just wondering.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    edited November 2009
    See, this is why, though I've settled on the Droid soon, the Eris looks better physically and in a UI sense. But I will be glad for the extra screen real-estate and processing power.

Artreus on
    edited November 2009
    Trying to get two final things worked out. I have yet to successfully play a video on the Droid. I've ripped a section of a DVD with handbrake into MP4/H.264/AAC but I get audio only, with both the Video Player and Cinema apps. I've tried lowering the resolution, not using anamorphic and going to 1-pass ABR but it's still not going. :(

Also trying to figure out how to sync playlists with MediaMonkey.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
    edited November 2009
    Man. apparently the Droid battery is much, much better than that of the Eris. Looks like that makes my final decision easier.

I just wish my dad would get back to me already about whether or not I can get it. I want my phone dangit.

Artreus on
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I got video working though the method involves a Handbrake development build. The playlists finally updated on the music player app. I'm not sure what triggered that. Anyway I'm mostly happy with where things are. There's no native podcast or audiobook categories, but you can cook up a "Podcast" and "Audio Book" auto-playlist and make do. Don't know if it will save your spot in the audiobook though.

RandomEngy on
  • DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seems like you've been wrestling with the Droid a bit, RandomEngy.

I'm heading over to Verizon to pick mine up now, I'll let you know how it goes.

Daemonion on
    edited November 2009
    What is Handbrake and does one have to use it?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited November 2009
    Handbrake is a program for (mainly) ripping DVDs. There are a lot of programs out there that can create MP4 files, but Handbrake is free and the least contemptible program there is. There was a little bit of trial and error. I don't think it likes Anamorphic aspect ratio and it does not like the width to be bigger than 854 or the height bigger than 480.

There was also the video player: Android has the ability to play videos but no app to do it. I found the Cinema free app to work the best. However when you get it up and running it looks great.

The music app is really weird though. You can sync an updated playlist, but it takes a few minutes for the changes to actually show up. Not sure yet if you just need to wait, or how to tell when it will be done.

RandomEngy on
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Handbrake is a program for (mainly) ripping DVDs. There are a lot of programs out there that can create MP4 files, but Handbrake is free and the least contemptible program there is. There was a little bit of trial and error. I don't think it likes Anamorphic aspect ratio and it does not like the width to be bigger than 854 or the height bigger than 480.

There was also the video player: Android has the ability to play videos but no app to do it. I found the Cinema free app to work the best. However when you get it up and running it looks great.

The music app is really weird though. You can sync an updated playlist, but it takes a few minutes for the changes to actually show up. Not sure yet if you just need to wait, or how to tell when it will be done.

hmm, I see then, thanks for the heads up

oh yeah, is it true what I'm hearing that contacts are entirely in the cloud? I imagine Google, unlike MS, would think ahead to redundant back ups, but it is a bit worrying

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

oh yeah, is it true what I'm hearing that contacts are entirely in the cloud? I imagine Google, unlike MS, would think ahead to redundant back ups, but it is a bit worrying

Yea, my gf had to return her droid because of a camera defect, as soon as she got the new one her contacts were already in it. You could also sync your contacts with gmail. I think google will have bigger problems than cell phone contact lists of gmail crashes.

YodaTuna on
    edited November 2009
    When I got my pre it synced my gmail contacts. So my contact list was basically useless because it had everybody I'd ever emailed in it.

edit: fortunately I could just type in the name of whoever I wanted anywhere and it pulled it up.

Artreus on
    edited November 2009
    Some more observations about videos: The default player (via file manager or the Video Player app) is not that great at keeping A/V sync when seeking. The Cinema app does a pretty good job with it.

Also, I was fumbling with the keyboard when I first got it (my first smartphone) but I'm getting much faster, to where I can just type without looking at the keys. The keys are kind of flat but you can still learn to type by feel. It just takes a bit of time to adjust.

RandomEngy on
    edited November 2009
    Some more observations about videos: The default player (via file manager or the Video Player app) is not that great at keeping A/V sync when seeking. The Cinema app does a pretty good job with it.

Also, I was fumbling with the keyboard when I first got it (my first smartphone) but I'm getting much faster, to where I can just type without looking at the keys. The keys are kind of flat but you can still learn to type by feel. It just takes a bit of time to adjust.

I was so scared when I was messing with the display model, because sure I knew it was a display model, but I wasn't sure how close it was to the real thing. The real keyboard was muuuch better.

I might still go with the touch keyboard a lot though.

Artreus on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »

Yea, my gf had to return her droid because of a camera defect, as soon as she got the new one her contacts were already in it. You could also sync your contacts with gmail. I think google will have bigger problems than cell phone contact lists of gmail crashes.
    When your contacts are transferred into the Droid when you have it done instore (through a handy dandy Cellebrite) the current process actually dumps your contacts on the memory card. You then just go into the contacts program on the Droid and import them. Once contacts are in the contact list on the Droid they'll also be synced over to your Gmail account. Which means that if you ever move into another Android phone (or get a replacement) it's just a matter of either syncing up the same gmail address to automatically pull your contacts or importing them all from your memory card. Of course, unless you've exported them again beforehand they might be a little out of date should you only do the latter.

JAEF on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have backup assistant, you can just goto the backup assistant webpage and at the upper right there is something to create a .CSV file of your contacts, which you can then synch to google mail.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Gizmodo says its just a matter of separating your contacts into groups to making them useful again because of the whole "everyone you ever emailed" being in there.

Goose! on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I might wipe out my e-mail contacts in Gmail before updating it. It's not like I don't have them elsewhere.

Dignified Pauper on
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yeah, Gizmodo says its just a matter of separating your contacts into groups to making them useful again because of the whole "everyone you ever emailed" being in there.

That's exactly what happened to me on my new Hero, it took me 2 days to finally get my people folder all organized. Now that it's looking spiffy on my phone, how do I get Google/Gmail to sync and back it up exactly as i have it? It automatically will sync newly added contacts as well, right?

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had to adjust several settings on mine because while it was useful to have it vibrate everytime I made a command, it was killing my battery. I just wish I could get a sound when I held down any of the bottom 4 buttons.

RoyceSraphim on
    edited November 2009
    Ahh my bad, the Droid does come with video playing capability out of the box. It's just under Gallery for some reason.

RandomEngy on
  • Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ahh my bad, the Droid does come with video playing capability out of the box. It's just under Gallery for some reason.

Android has been pretty loudly by just about every gadget dwelling site as simply being a poor excuse for a media player. It's mostly chalked up to just thinking that Google just doesn't have it as any sort of priority at the moment. Which is pretty understandable to me.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
    edited November 2009
    I can confirm the first update for the Droid is coming December 11th. It's going to fix a lot of small things. January has another big update coming too.

Dignified Pauper on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can confirm the first update for the Droid is coming December 11th. It's going to fix a lot of small things. January has another big update coming too.

Ah, okay. And it will just push to our devices? Will it fix the fact that my e-mail inbox keeps telling me that I have new mail and then when I check it's just old mail that has magically marked itself as unread? That's the only problem I've experienced, minor or otherwise, with the Droid. I love it!

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G