As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shine on you crazy diamond : The Pink Floyd thread

13»

• StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    so
    i rip all my music to flac and create cue files and stuff and lately have been using my discman much more for better sound quality and was like hey, i'm going to make good copies of my floyd cd's

i never did this
    so tonight
    i learned how to properly make a good copy of my discs using CUE files
    i am feeling pretty good about my noob ass

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Supraman wrote: »
    I wish i could see the Roger Waters show live. Has anyone seen it ? Is it awesome ?

I'm going in July, should be fantastic.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am going to see Roger Waters in June and every mention of Pink Floyd gets me excited for this.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I listened to Pink Floyd exclusively from 1994 to 1997.

Weaver on
  • VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am going to see Roger Waters in June and every mention of Pink Floyd gets me excited for this.

June 24th, baby! I am very, very excited.

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pink Floyd rules so hard. Meddle is my favorite album.

Shorty on
  • tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Shorty wrote: »
    Pink Floyd rules so hard. Meddle is my favorite album.

Echoes is some perfect nighttime highway driving music.

tugga on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My favourite Floyd song is Shine on You Crazy Diamond, but it changes fairly often.
    I'm a huge fan of the later stuff, Division bell and Pulse and what have you.

don't judge me, fuckers

#pipe on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    My favourite Floyd song is Shine on You Crazy Diamond, but it changes fairly often.
    I'm a huge fan of the later stuff, Division bell and Pulse and what have you.

don't judge me, fuckers

Not judging you; but Pulse isn't an album of original material. The second disk is Dark Side of the Moon (which was more or less entirely Gilmour, the first disk is a mashup of various Floyd tunes, again mostly Gilmour. Hell, even the two songs off The Wall were the two songs that Gilmour wrote. There was a fun and exciting series of lawsuits in the 80's that made it this way, and it wasn't till Echoes that Waters and Pink Floyd made friends just to put out the "best of".

There's a few reasons I love Pulse, namely the extended solo at the end of Comfortably Numb, Guy Pratt on Bass throughout and the rendition of Great Gig in the Sky; but because Pink Floyd were so exact in all their music their studio albums sound nearly identical to any of their live stuff. They would practice until it was perfect. So; for the most part you're getting nearly studio perfect versions of older songs, with a few gems here and there. Also, there's an energy in live performances that tips the scale a little bit on what would otherwise be par for the course for Pink Floyd.

EDIT: I think i have the disks right for Pulse.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Bob The MonkeyBob The Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Druhim wrote: »
    He probably will. I'm sorry but you shouldn't have left valuables in your car.

Welcome to a world where robberies take place, and the robbed are to blame.

TLDR: you are wrong

Anyway, I have tickets to see Roger Waters on this tour. Good tickets. And I'm probably going to sell them because Dark Side of the Moon lost its appeal really fast. On a lighter note, profits++.

Bob The Monkey on
  • SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Oh Bob, Bob.

I saw Roger Waters live last year, and him playing the whole of dark side of the moon was fan-fucking-tastic. The woman he got for Great Gig in the Sky was absolutely incredible.

Which reminds me, I have a two and a half hour drive this afternoon, time to break out the Floyd for the journey,

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • bentbent Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My friends completely ruined Pink Floyd for me when they just wouldn't stop listening to them. At parties, whatever situation was completely unfitting for Pink Floyd, you name it and they were probably playing it. It doesn't happen so much nowadays, thank fuck.

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    Floyd is for driving, or relaxing, or putting on the Pulse DVD on a Sunday morning hangover.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Oh Bob, Bob.

I saw Roger Waters live last year, and him playing the whole of dark side of the moon was fan-fucking-tastic. The woman he got for Great Gig in the Sky was absolutely incredible.

Which reminds me, I have a two and a half hour drive this afternoon, time to break out the Floyd for the journey,

Or you could spin the new Finntroll a couple times.

It's hott stuffff

Bob The Monkey on
    edited March 2007
    Never really got Finntroll.

Apparantly the new Type O Negative is pretty awesome. I need to go track it down.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Never really got Finntroll.

Apparantly the new Type O Negative is pretty awesome. I need to go track it down.

Their new album is a lot more metal than their older albums, which had a very prominent folk influence. The stuff other people seem to love (Trollhammaren, etc.) I never liked so much, but this new album just kicks your ass all over the place. I'd give it a go.

There is also a possibility it isn't out yet and that I 'bought' a promotional advance copy, so good luck finding it.

Bob The Monkey on
    edited March 2007
    There is also a possibility it isn't out yet and that I 'bought' a promotional advance copy, so good luck finding it.

its okay. I've found it.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i really like the scissor sisters' cover of comfortably numb

actually, i think i prefer bits of it to floyd's

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    bongi you shut your pretty mouth

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    I AM FILLED WITH HATRED FOR YOU RIGHT NOW BONGI.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    i think the chorus of the scissor sisters' ("there is no pain you are receding") is a bit rubbish, but the verses ("hello, hello hello is there anybody in there?") i much prefer to roger waters' mopey crooning

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    You are dead to me.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
    edited March 2007
    Why is there a current fashion in butchering the classics with oontsoontsoonts drumbeats, and little more?

I think it's 'Groove Coverage' who keep laying drumbeats over 'whole lotta love' and other already badass songs.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    bent wrote: »
    Why is there a current fashion in butchering the classics with oontsoontsoonts drumbeats, and little more?

I think it's 'Groove Coverage' who keep laying drumbeats over 'whole lotta love' and other already badass songs.

the scissor sisters did a lot more to comfortably numb than just add a disco beat

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    I am not talking about the scissor sisters bongi

they butchered it in new scary ways that I don't like to think about

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    You are dead to me.

It's OK, my cat mauled the shit out of him yesterday.

go rosebud!

Bob The Monkey on
    edited March 2007
    Respect to the cat Bob.

New Type does sound good.

Silmaril on
    t9migZb.jpg
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    fucking moggy attacked my hand with the furiosity of a million suns

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    Bongi, make sure you have "Jew-Choo!" written on the side of your Auschwitz train.

Bob The Monkey on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    also none of you have any taste

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    Listening to the Scissor Sisters and claiming you have good musical taste is like being a member of the BNP and congratulating yourself on your excellent political views

bent on
    sig1.png
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    that's exactly what a breeder would say

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    you would know!

bent on
    sig1.png
    edited March 2007
    bent wrote: »
    Listening to the Scissor Sisters and claiming you have good musical taste is like being a member of the BNP and congratulating yourself on your excellent political views

I'm pretty much a metalhead and I can appreciate that the Scissor Sisters write great pop songs.

go suck a dick

Bob The Monkey on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    so would your dad!

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    now why would my dad suck a dick

Bob The Monkey on
  • bongibongi regular
    edited March 2007
    no i was responding to bent

bongi on
    edited March 2007
    Oh sure, weasel yourself out like that.

For the second time this page, bongi

you are dead to me

Bob The Monkey on
    edited March 2007
    I'm just bitter. The first time I heard any Scissor Sisters song was in HMV - the prior night before I had gotten blind drunk and fell over in my friends front garden, it was raining and my clothes had mud all over them. So I had to go kill some time in town before getting a bus and of course that 'Filthy Gorgeous' song was playing in HMV, it wasn't the best accompanying music.

Ever since all I've heard has been that cover of 'Comfortably Numb'. The original was my favourite song for about a year or two, so I've been blindly against their music since. I'm well aware of how many people like their stuff (...my girlfriend) so I don't really care all that much, they just make me so mad.

bent on
    sig1.png
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I watched the Wall on acid like, three times. Then watched it sober once a year later. I swore it was not the same movie.

That scene where he is lining up all of the smashed things in his hotel room near the end does weird shit to your brain.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!