As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Several GOP lawmakers seem to have blown off House Judiciary committee votes on the Patriot Act in favor of toasting Tea Partiers at Michelle Bachmann's rally against health care reform on Capitol Hill yesterday.

Reps. Steve King of Iowa, Trent Franks of Arizona, Randy Forbes of Virginia, Jim Jordan of Ohio, and Louie Gohmert and Ted Poe of Texas all showed up at the Tea Party -- and all missed Patriot Act votes that took place at about the same time. Some of the votes on Republican-sponsored amendments to the reauthorization of the Patriot Act were close enough that they might have passed had more GOPers bothered to show up.

bwa hahaha

o_O

Just...
    o_O

This isn't horrifying, because it isn't my party so I don't give a shit, but really? They're just going "fuck our jobs" now?

Rent on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    werehippy wrote: »
    I popped this in the healthcare thread too, but videos like this make me feel decidedly less ambiguous about single party rule in the US for the next couple decades.

Nothing but jackasses from here to the horizon

Jesus Christ, really? Fucking really? "I object. I object. I object. I object. I object." It literally has gotten childish.

Henroid on
  • werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On the one hand, I suppose the more incompetent my opponents become the happier I should be, especially on egregiously horrible stuff like this. But at a certain level we as a society are worse off for the fact there are places in the country where mouthbreathers like this are apparently the best and brightest.

werehippy on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm counting on The Daily Show to make a segment out of that bullshit. Look, it's one thing for people of a party to spout out crazy shit. But when their actual conduct reverts to that of a fucking five year-old, they're out of line. Grow the hell up. They want to bitch about the President's conduct in office, how he walks around with rolled up sleeves, or gives shout outs to people at speeches who are present. That's all personality. It's a far cry from the childish temper tantrum they threw in the debate, that was embarrassing to watch.

Henroid on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    big l wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    Sheep wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Wait, so which generation is Generation Y?

Roughly Mid 70's to Mid 80's.

Sadly, this is the next generation.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh292/jurassiclyts/scenester.jpg

And this is their music (NSFW/ears)

Oh no! People younger than us have different tastes! The world is ending!

actually no, that band/song is terrible

crimes against humanity terrible

To you, maybe. That's the thing about opinions.

When someone presents obviously bad takes on art/music/food with the excuse that "olo opinions" you can bet that they just don't know what they're talking about.

Yeah, you can like McDonalds cheeseburgers and think it's good food, but it's still not. You can, personally, like this, but that's still a terrible portrait and awful "art".

Just like Brokencyde is awful, terrible, mind numbingly bad pop music regardless of the idiots who like it.

Except you can do that for every generation. Every generation has some ear-rendingly bad pop music in there. I had an English teacher in high school who told me, "Any time anyone from your parents' generation disses on your generation's music, remind them that they thought the song 'One' by Three Dog Night was really profound." He later had sex with a student and fled to Guatemala.

I told my mom about this quote and said "I guess that means that that song was really terrible," to which she responded "it wasn't terrible, it was great."

Honestly, punk rockers were white rappers who made up for their inability top play or sing by turning up their speakers too high and screaming into the microphone.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    Eh, GenX doesn't care about vietnam. GenX is the generation that (mostly) got fat'n'happy at a young age on American "Sole Superpower" brand cheese.

It shouldn't be surprising that the generation whose cause celebre was something between social apathy and getting theirs wound up buying into conservatism.

Gen x was born in 1960-1975, to mostly boomer parents. Its the milenials(1976-1990) that your thinking of.

no, I'm thinking of generation x.

The gen y/millenial/whatever crowd was too young to get fat on the booms in the 80s and 90s.

And the millenials don't start until 1983.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That isn't even how you throw up parliamentary roadblocks. Being a douche to the Speaker so it takes 5 minutes in order to say something doesn't actually prevent a limitation on the time allotted to debate.

moniker on
    edited November 2009
    Eh, GenX doesn't care about vietnam. GenX is the generation that (mostly) got fat'n'happy at a young age on American "Sole Superpower" brand cheese.

It shouldn't be surprising that the generation whose cause celebre was something between social apathy and getting theirs wound up buying into conservatism.

Gen x was born in 1960-1975, to mostly boomer parents. Its the milenials(1976-1990) that your thinking of.

The gen y/millenial/whatever crowd was too young to get fat on the booms in the 80s and 90s.

You aren't from my generation if you can remember a time without access to the internet.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There has not been a time in the past century where our representatives and senators are our best and brightest.

SithDrummer on
    edited November 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    That isn't even how you throw up parliamentary roadblocks. Being a douche to the Speaker so it takes 5 minutes in order to say something doesn't actually prevent a limitation on the time allotted to debate.

I usually say that if you have to assume that the other side of an argument is stupid you're missing something, but I honestly can't think of anything this was supposed to accomplish other than being obnoxious assholes. If there were real amendments or debate that might have been on the table but were getting locked out because no one could talk it might make sense, but the bill is already locked in for the house vote. Unless the point is to deny people youtube clips were they can be on the House floor talking up the bill I can't see any upside.

werehippy on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

You aren't from my generation if you can remember a time without access to the internet.

well, that just means gen x is even bigger than I thought it was, then

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited November 2009
    There has not been a time in the past century where our representatives and senators are our best and brightest.

See, as much as these asshats are the bottom of the barrel I can't agree with that either. There really are some great ones, and I refuse to let the moron contingent rule out that fact.

werehippy on
    edited November 2009

See, as much as these asshats are the bottom of the barrel I can't agree with that either. There really are some great ones, and I refuse to let the moron contingent rule out that fact.

There are, but they are not the majority nor have they been. Even the first few Congresses were staffed full of boss appointees, nepotism, and jackasses.

moniker on
    edited November 2009

There's no hard and fast rule like that. Demographically the consensus split seems to be somewhere in the ealry 80s, but as time goes on we're likely to force our own split, especially since the difference seems to be pretty stark. If the republican support is in the low teens to single digits in your year, welcome to Gen Y. If you're closer to an even split welcome to Gen X.

werehippy on
    edited November 2009

Huh. Wikipedia made it sound like we didn't have what people mean when they say "internet" until 1988, unless "open to private entities" means providers rather than web sites.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009

There's no hard and fast rule like that. Demographically the consensus split seems to be somewhere in the ealry 80s, but as time goes on we're likely to force our own split, especially since the difference seems to be pretty stark. If the republican support is in the low teens to single digits in your year, welcome to Gen Y. If you're closer to an even split welcome to Gen X.

Generational demarcations are bullshit. For one thing, people are individuals. For another, societal norms, beliefs, and widely held values shift as a gradient over time; not with 'bright lines' &c. Finally, generational anything are generalizations based on generalizations.

You really shouldn't worry about if being born prior to May 7, 1982, at 12:31pm (GMT) is the dividing line between one sociologist's definition to another.

moniker on
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

If we remember BBSes does that count?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Generational demarcations are bullshit. For one thing, people are individuals. For another, societal norms, beliefs, and widely held values shift as a gradient over time; not with 'bright lines' &c. Finally, generational anything are generalizations based on generalizations.

You really shouldn't worry about if being born prior to May 7, 1982, at 12:31pm (GMT) is the dividing line between one sociologist's definition to another.
    Having broad terms we can use for "people about X age" is useful for the purposes of discussion. Just like any other form of specialized vocabulary.

Anyone telling you they can lock down a specific demographic based purely on birth date is full of shit, however.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited November 2009

The internet was originally owned by the British government?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Ok so you are too young to know what a Bulletin Board System was. Good times.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

But without generational lines I won't be able to discuss how much better I am than people who are older/younger than me!

Cervetus on
    edited November 2009

I was born in 1990, so "early internet" means my shitty mac screaming at me before assaulting me w/ AOL ads.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Prodigy all up in your face

Burtletoy on
    edited November 2009
    Back then, the only thing you could play on a mac was Oregon Trail. I still haven't forgiven the os for that.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nah, you had Marathon and some other stuff as well. I remember dropping well-earned paper route money in 1992 to buy some Tia Carrera and robot video camera gun friend game for my Mac. Hell, I remember having an RPG on my old Mac Plus toaster machine, way back in 1987 (called Dragongate maybe? I don't remember the name anymore).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I was born in 1990, so "early internet" means my shitty mac screaming at me before assaulting me w/ AOL ads.

Why did they ever make that noise come out by default when it was logging on? It seems like one of those things everybody would turn off if they new they could.

Couscous on
    edited November 2009
    Back then, the only thing you could play on a mac was Oregon Trail. I still haven't forgiven the os for that.

Breakout.

moniker on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

Ah, AOL chatrooms. My first tentative steps into the tubes.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Apperantly, they didn't sell those at the costco. Anybody remember those games yopu played by scanning barcodes? I wanted those.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Man, I used to play Legend of the Red Dragon all the time back in the day.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited November 2009

How does it feel to be having political discussions with someone younger than your video games?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

How does it feel to be having political discussions with someone younger than your video games?

Just you wait - the same thing will happen to you some day.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

.....you're worse than XKCD lately.

This is like the day I realized that my cousin who was 10 years younger than I was actually like a real person and no longer an annoying little human larva.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This is like the day I realized that my cousin who was 10 years younger than I was actually like a real person and no longer an annoying little human larva.
    ....You're worse than Family Guy lately.

Anyway. So, I hear tea-partiers are doing dumb things again, and republican officials have gotten to the point where they're outright egging them on?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

....You're worse than Family Guy lately.

Anyway. So, I hear tea-partiers are doing dumb things again, and republican officials have gotten to the point where they're outright egging them on?
    Apparently they missed out on some votes they might have won if they were there, just because they wanted to be at those stupid rallies.

Fencingsax on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    New Plan guys: 24-7 Tea parties!

Scooter on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Apparently they missed out on some votes they might have won if they were there, just because they wanted to be at those stupid rallies.

Someone schedule a tea party on the steps for during the healthcare vote. See if anyone gets caught out like an idiot.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Re-election is more important than voting on policy, duh. If they weren't at the parties, their smiling faces wouldn't be remembered by the attending conservatives.

emnmnme on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gosling wrote: »

Someone schedule a tea party on the steps for during the healthcare vote. See if anyone gets caught out like an idiot.

I would seriously consider doing this if I had the time, and if I wasn't concerned about the darkness of my soul reaching critical mass just from pretending to be a tea partyer.

Cervetus on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich spoke before a conservative audience in Naples, FL yesterday. Gingrich gave a talk about his new book, To Try Men’s Souls, which tells the story of men who played a critical role in the Revolutionary War. When a reporter with the Naples News asked Gingrich what the Founding Fathers would “say about our current issues” if they were alive today, he suggested that they would be “very severe critics” of President Obama:

I think they would be very, very severe critics of the current system. And they would tell us that if we continue to drive God out of public life and we continue to increase power in Washington, we are literally putting our freedom at risk.

In other words, Newt Gingrich has never heard of the founding fathers before.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.