As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Uncharted 2: Electric Goddamn Boogaloo

• MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm late to the party. Doing the Brutal Legend thing and all.

This game makes me want to buy lots and lots of blue-firey resin. I'll put that shit in my fireplace.

A blacklight fireplace would be preaty fucking rad.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get the GAU trophy? What chapter should I be playing it in?

You know in the SP store you can buy weapons right. As long as your on a chapter that you have cleared on your current difficulty or harder you can spawn any weapon you have paid for.

Oh yeah I knew that. I meant if there's a particular chapter where this would be easist on. One that just has constant enemies spawing, since 200 seems like it'll take a while.

Kyougu on
    edited November 2009
    Malechai wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get the GAU trophy? What chapter should I be playing it in?

You know in the SP store you can buy weapons right. As long as your on a chapter that you have cleared on your current difficulty or harder you can spawn any weapon you have paid for.

Oh yeah I knew that. I meant if there's a particular chapter where this would be easist on. One that just has constant enemies spawing, since 200 seems like it'll take a while.

Well it is acumulative. I just basicly started on a chapter I was missing treasure in and kept spawning it as I went. I'd say maybe the jungle wouldn't be a bad place to start where the grenade tutorial is.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game makes me want to buy lots and lots of blue-firey resin.

I said the same thing. It's like it's sponsored by it for god sakes.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves brought to you by Blue-Firey Resin

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

We could synthesize some and make a killing at the nightclub scene.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

We could synthesize some and make a killing at the nightclub scene.

My eyes are literally $_$

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't see how it garnered a 9.5/10 from so many sources. I also don't see how MGS4 scored 10/10. But I'm a PS3 owner and will take it happily because it'll help to sell more units and make the system more popular.

But the story isn't that great. It's told exceptionally well, but it's entirely predictable. The climbing system isn't as good as I'd like to have seen it - I'm on my second playthrough and it still seems sloppy at times.

Worst of all, there were a lot of "What am I supposed to do, now?" moments.

That all being said, those are my only complaints. Its graphics and presentation are pretty damn amazing, and I really loved the fights. I kind of wish the game were a bit more stirred and less shaken at some points - the long train level was nice, but
    a BOSS at the end that took how many bullets to the head and uncovered arms and lived? Completely removed all immersion.

It's overall a pretty great game - again, those are my complaints, and I could go on and on about its strenghts. The multiplayer is good, but I can't imagine many people will stick around come November 10. I mean, what's up with this matchmaking system?!

Oh, and people going through the story to try and beat the next difficulty level - I hear you can use tweaks by starting a chapter, saving, quitting, changing the difficulty level, setting your tweaks, then at the end of the level changing back to the high difficulty level (or something along those lines). Is this correct?

Black Ice on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    It's told exceptionally well, but it's entirely predictable.

This is key.

Not too many games, films or books come along anymore without someone being able to deconstruct it and be like "been there, done that." This applies to pretty much every video game ever.

And so presentation becomes much more important.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Black Ice wrote: »
    It's told exceptionally well, but it's entirely predictable.

This is key.

Not too many games, films or books come along anymore without someone being able to deconstruct it and be like "been there, done that." This applies to pretty much every video game ever.

And so presentation becomes much more important.

This makes me wonder if Uncharted 2 will stand the test of time, to which I must hypothesize that it will not. It will be remembered for being groundbreaking, but it will not be a mainstay that people still play years from now, unlike Ocarina of Time or Goldeneye or even previous Naughty Dog titles. Whereas Naughty Dog's prior titles - Crash Bandictoot and Jak and Daxter - will be remembered for their gameplay and humor, I feel that Uncharted 2 will not stand the test of time because its strength lies in its presentation. Its presentation relies on flash, not substance.

It is certainly groundbreaking in terms of game cinematography, and I would like to reiterate that. Although it seemed a bit out of place, the scene in which Nate marks up a map on Chloe's back with a sharpie then spits out the top out sticks out in my mind most.

I think with time, all games will incorporate these elements, however, and we will look back at Uncharted 2 and say "Sans cinematography, was this really a 9.5/10?" which will be a completely subjective question. I certainly enjoyed the game itself, and I'm not trying to take away from it, I'm just honestly taken aback that it scored this well. To me, all three Jak games were better in terms of gameplay than Uncharted 2. I do feel as if I'm in the minority in saying so, however.

Black Ice on
    edited November 2009
    Half-Life has a pretty standard story, but it really changed things up with the presentation of how it was told, and hey, 11 years later and it's still remembered for that very reason.

UnbreakableVow on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think they're different gamplay styles, too. I mean, say what you will about Ocarina but I wasn't a big fan of it then (clunky camera and it felt "slow" compared to 2D zelda) and I don't think it's really held the test of time. Most people who replay it seem to do so because they were amazed with it when they first played, and are replaying to relive that nostalgia rather than any actual quality of the game. I'd argue that Link to the Past had a much less cliched story, as well.

But I'll also say that I've never been a fan of 3D platformers, either. I've played some Rachets, some 3D marios, and in general I just don't have a lot of fun jumping around on platforms in 3D. I mean, I'll do it, but I think the genre exists best in 2D.

I think Uncharted 1 had better enemy AI in most situations, as they tended to flank you and flush you out of your locations so you had to move around during a firefight. In Uncharted 2, it's not so much that the AI moves to a good spot as it spawns behind you, forcing you to move. There were only a few firefights that were large enough (Nepal) that you really had to move and rethink your position, which is something I like -- even though I typically die more during those scenarios.

One thing I liked more about Uncharted 2 compared to most every modern game is that there really wasn't any section that I thought was bullshit. In Uncharted 1, the jetski levels were almost always bullshit. In many games, there's usually a level or two that's just annoying, yet I didn't feel that way about any of them in Uncharted 2. I usually don't like stealth levels but Uncharted 2 did it perfectly, IMO.

Black Ice, your comment about Jak & Daxter and the lack of good climbing/jumping around in Uncharted 2 makes me think you wanted more of a 3D platformer rather than a "shoot from cover with some exploration/puzzles and climbing thrown in" game.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, is co-op objective hard, or do I just suck? I've been trying on normal with randoms, and while we can always seem to beat the Plaza one, we always fail the Sanctuary and the Village. I don't know what the common denominator is (:P), but it's frustrating to always lose. Do I really need to switch back to easy? Is this how it is with randoms that don't talk and just run off to die alone?

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just beat this game. So wonderful.

But man fuck the last boss.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EggyToast wrote: »
    One thing I liked more about Uncharted 2 compared to most every modern game is that there really wasn't any section that I thought was bullshit. In Uncharted 1, the jetski levels were almost always bullshit. In many games, there's usually a level or two that's just annoying, yet I didn't feel that way about any of them in Uncharted 2.

your game must have had a different last boss than mine, that dude was extremely lame.

Ah_Pook on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bficky wrote: »
    So, is co-op objective hard, or do I just suck? I've been trying on normal with randoms, and while we can always seem to beat the Plaza one, we always fail the Sanctuary and the Village. I don't know what the common denominator is (:P), but it's frustrating to always lose. Do I really need to switch back to easy? Is this how it is with randoms that don't talk and just run off to die alone?
    I don't think I've played with you but I think it's safe to say the common denominator is the randoms. In particular I've failed with randoms in the Sanctuary multiple times due to the same problem...
    You make it to a perch with 2 or 3 sniper rifles and a wall that needs to be climbed. Once the first person starts climbing the mans start spawning and the two people who aren't climbing are suppose to use the sniper rifles and fals to protect the climber. Unfortunately this is made much more difficult when one player runs ahead, grabs all the sniper rifles, starts to climb and is quickly shot to his death.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm on chapter 17 right now. I really fucking hope there isn't another train level.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    I'm on chapter 17 right now. I really fucking hope there isn't another train level.

Why do you hate amazing things

UnbreakableVow on
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    I don't think I've played with you but I think it's safe to say the common denominator is the randoms. In particular I've failed with randoms in the Sanctuary multiple times due to the same problem...
    You make it to a perch with 2 or 3 sniper rifles and a wall that needs to be climbed. Once the first person starts climbing the mans start spawning and the two people who aren't climbing are suppose to use the sniper rifles and fals to protect the climber. Unfortunately this is made much more difficult when one player runs ahead, grabs all the sniper rifles, starts to climb and is quickly shot to his death.

if you don't play with randoms, it's ok. i've been doing all the co-ops with 2 person total (as in i know the other person really well). it's way easier with 3 people though, since you automatically get another person to revive the other two who might be red or blue

xta on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

There's a better one.
    ♪Convoy♪

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love the rhythm of this game. Chapters 5 to 21 are just so goddamn perfectly paced. Intense firefights, followed by some slow sequences of platforming that allow you to just marvel at the visuals, followed by bigger firefights and bigger set pieces, culminating in a crescendo of unprecedented awesome (read: train).
    Then, you take a fucking stroll through a village, do some platforming. Stakes keep getting higher and higher before you're being chased around by a tank and eventually jumping from burning truck to burning truck.
    I am gushing but those 16 chapters form what is easily the best crafted experience of the generation.

I hope you can tell how disappointed I was by the endgame.

Muddy Water on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok, quick question.

I've noticed several other players have the Revenge booster (the one that automatically drops a gernade when you die) even though they are nowhere near the level necessary to buy it in normal multiplayer. How?

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
    edited November 2009
    Ok, quick question.

I've noticed several other players have the Revenge booster (the one that automatically drops a gernade when you die) even though they are nowhere near the level necessary to buy it in normal multiplayer. How?

When pre-ordered the game came with a code that unlocked the revenge booster. Also had a code for the second beta. Realy though I only find the booster usefull on teritory games like king of the hill. For the love of god if you are going to use it let your team know so they can move if they're next to you when you get taken out.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The concept art...ahahahaha
    Easy enemy - Mostly Light
    Medium enemy - Mostly Dark
    Heavy enemy - Mostly Badass

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just picked this up. Its grand.

PSN: Decasshern

projectmayhem on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah co-op is incredibly hard.

I've had experiences everywhere from finishing a co-op objective on Crushing with two players (me and Carbonfire.. yay!)

To not being able to get past wave 3 on survival because the people I'm playing with won't listen to my directions and run around trying to get as many points as possible but then being flooded with mans.

I've managed to finish The Lost City and The Village on survival, so at this point I have some idea how to beat them.. and the way is not running around in the area where all the mans spawn.

It's as if people don't realize how much money you'll score if you finish the levels.

Dying on level 10 = ~ 10 - 15,000. Finishing level 10? 40 - 50,000.

Urgh.

adytum on
    edited November 2009
    I was actualy amazed today me and sciencepiggy were playing gold rush and our pick up actualy worked together with us. So damn often I get pugs that don't try to help people when they're in a choke hole or down. Won't try to move the idol and just camp a high spot with the sniper rifle trying to rack up headshots.

With that win I've now cleared every single level of gold rush. Think I still need to clear survival on sanctuary though. Also we managed to unlock crushing too.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • xtaxta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    adytum wrote: »
    Yeah co-op is incredibly hard.

I've had experiences everywhere from finishing a co-op objective on Crushing with two players (me and Carbonfire.. yay!)

To not being able to get past wave 3 on survival because the people I'm playing with won't listen to my directions and run around trying to get as many points as possible but then being flooded with mans.

I've managed to finish The Lost City and The Village on survival, so at this point I have some idea how to beat them.. and the way is not running around in the area where all the mans spawn.

It's as if people don't realize how much money you'll score if you finish the levels.

Dying on level 10 = ~ 10 - 15,000. Finishing level 10? 40 - 50,000.

Urgh.
    isn't carbon level omgwtfbbq by now?

xta on
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    nah he hasn't even logged onto PSN in like 12 days. He must be playing some OTHER game.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    edited November 2009
    I'm right before
    the entrance to Shambalalalalala

I don't want it to end! :(

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm right before
    the entrance to Shambalalalalala

I don't want it to end! :(

theres always crushing!

Ah_Pook on
  • GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I actually beat this yesterday. As with the original, the introduction of
    the purple fucking monsters
    really kind of soured my opinion on the game overall. Those sections were, mercifully, rather short. So that's good. Final boss was lame, though. Not that I have any idea how it could have been done better, really, but I didn't like it too much.

A great game overall. Much better than the first. Platforming was a lot of fun, most firefights were fair and fun.
    Basically everything that happened in snow was completely awesome. I loved the parts where you got a sniper rifle - knocking down that tower was sweet. "Did I do that?"
    Presentation is second to none. I'm afraid I can't quite agree with the claims of 'best single-player experience of the generation', but the game really was quite enjoyable, and definitely one of the finest experiences I've had with the PS3.
    I really wanted to put a bullet in Flynn's face.

Graviija on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Graviija wrote: »
    Final boss was lame, though. Not that I have any idea how it could have been done better, really, but I didn't like it too much.

I was thinking about this, and I think it would have been good if they'd
    actually made him invulnerable. Imagine the same fight, except you're not trying to lure him near the sap to blow him up. Instead, you've got to avoid him while you find and blow up all the sap deposits, destroying the supports to the area, and bringing the entire tree down on top of him (Just like happens on the bridge anyway), burying him forever.
    It's the traditional way to deal with people who want to live forever; you grant their wish, but make sure they're not going to enjoy it.

Still, I like this way more than Uncharted 1. I just tried going back to it to try and finish it on Crushing, and ragequit five times over the weekend.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    klemming wrote: »
    Graviija wrote: »
    Final boss was lame, though. Not that I have any idea how it could have been done better, really, but I didn't like it too much.

I was thinking about this, and I think it would have been good if they'd
    actually made him invulnerable. Imagine the same fight, except you're not trying to lure him near the sap to blow him up. Instead, you've got to avoid him while you find and blow up all the sap deposits, destroying the supports to the area, and bringing the entire tree down on top of him (Just like happens on the bridge anyway), burying him forever.
    It's the traditional way to deal with people who want to live forever; you grant their wish, but make sure they're not going to enjoy it.

Still, I like this way more than Uncharted 1. I just tried going back to it to try and finish it on Crushing, and ragequit five times over the weekend.

I like to imagine that
    Lazarevic is still technically immortal, so he gets to spend the rest of eternity getting beaten up by Guardians. Maybe hundreds of years later, it evolves into the Shambhalan national pastime. "What're you doing after school?" "I dunno, maybe I'm gonna go beat up Lazarevic for a few hours." "Cool, cool"

l337CrappyJack on
    edited November 2009
    Just beat it.

Wow.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Yup.

Remember when you were a kid and stuff was fun and exciting? This game? This game is like Christmas morning in a box.

l337CrappyJack on
  • DesertChickenDesertChicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yup.

Remember when you were a kid and stuff was fun and exciting? This game? This game is like Christmas morning in a box.

Yes, exactly, Uncharted puts the wonder back into games. Like, holy crap, I can't fathom the code it took to do that.

DesertChicken on
    PSN/XBLA/SteamID- DesertChicken
    LoL - Renon DeSaxous
    edited November 2009
    This game is incredible in so many ways. I still can't get over the fact that THERE ARE NO LOADING SCREENS. I couldn't put it down because there was no good "pause-point" in the entire story.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    This game is incredible in so many ways. I still can't get over the fact that THERE ARE NO LOADING SCREENS. I couldn't put it down because there was no good "pause-point" in the entire story.

To blow your mind, there are literally no loading screens. Skip the chapter break movies, especially the ones showing Drake going from one zone to another. Skip the cutscene between Bolivia and the streetfighting in Nepal, it'll take maybe a second to load. They seriously worked some voodoo fucking magic with this game.

l337CrappyJack on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I highly recommend unlocking all the dev diaries and watching them. They go into the tech a little bit, they did some pretty cool stuff with it.

Houn on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crap, I saw an Xplay video again mentioning how awesome UC2 is, and it just made me want to shirk all of my current responsibilities and ignore UC1 and jump into 2. Some of those moves Drake was pulling off? Brutal

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00