As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New GOP Thread: Taking Anti-Intellectualism to a Whole New Level

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The thing is that the guy we're talking about is basically wanting to charge women more because they're more likely to use preventative care than men are. Gynecologists, etc.

Charging someone more for making use of facilities more? That's unpossible!

Next thing you know, you'll tell me it costs more to get 5 gallons of gas than 4 gallons. Or that it costs more to go to the movies three times than go to the movies two times.

The vast majority of women didn't choose to be women, unlike how one can choose to buy more gas or watch more movies.

So it makes sense to provide some baseline of female care, even if it turns out to cost more than a baseline of male care. Equality of opportunity and all that.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Gosling wrote: »
    Corbius wrote: »
    So, I made the mistake of reading some comments on that story, and was reminded that I have never understood the hate some people seem to have for Nancy Pelosi. Is it just "woman in position of power wwarrraagghable" or what?

She's the person in the Speaker's chair. The opposition leader is pretty much automatically evil incarnate. Standard procedure, really. Pick any random Democrat, stick them in the Speaker's chair or make them Senate Majority Leader, and you'll get pretty much the same thing.

Absolutely correct, it's just that when you belong to a party that is traditionally non-supportive (and a lot of times demeaning) of women and their rights, the question of whether or not your criticism of a woman in a leadership role is based out of misogynistic beliefs instead of a difference of opinion is not easily determined.

I think it's a combination of difference of opinion and being a woman. It shares a similar thread with the intensity of the criticism of Obama. People certainly disagree with his policies, but somehow feel justified in calling him a Nazi/Kenyan/fascist/whatever without a second thought (or even a first) because he's black. Him being black just ramps up the intensity of the attacks against him. Whether it's referring to him as everything but a "nagger" (looking at you, Rush) or something operating at a subconscious level (blacks are minorities, thus not equals; or the cultural tradition of blacks never truly being on equal ground as whites within the mindset of this country). There's absolutely a psychological element at play, but I think it's incredibly subtle for many people. I'm not sure if this is what Carter was getting at not long ago, but this is how I've always seen it. The same can be translated to Pelosi. Pelosi is a woman, thus never truly seen as being on equal ground as men in this country, so the people that attack her go after her more intensely because she's a woman.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    The thing is that the guy we're talking about is basically wanting to charge women more because they're more likely to use preventative care than men are. Gynecologists, etc.

Charging someone more for making use of facilities more? That's unpossible!

Next thing you know, you'll tell me it costs more to get 5 gallons of gas than 4 gallons. Or that it costs more to go to the movies three times than go to the movies two times.

The vast majority of women didn't choose to be women, unlike how one can choose to buy more gas or watch more movies.

So it makes sense to provide some baseline of female care, even if it turns out to cost more than a baseline of male care. Equality of opportunity and all that.

At the same time, there's some evidence that people who are fat didn't choose to be fat, either due to genetics or socialization as a child they had no say over. Charging them more for consuming more food is the same thing.

Much of the difference in cost between men and women is not based on biology but is based on socialization. Women do not just get more health care to offset being born female; women get far superior health care to men. Depending on how equal insurance costs are implemented, it could be very fair or incredibly unfair. A gender blind system that supports more preventative care for everyone is laudable. A system which forces price normalization between men and women while maintaining an imbalance in received medical care is not fair.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Might wanna censor the n-word, even if you are making an example. Rules, etc.

Anyhow, as far as I can tell, the cost of medical whatever (procedures, items, etc) are way, way, way overpriced for what you get.

I always thought the "10 dollar bottle of Aspirin" thing was a joke, but it really isn't. When I went to get a tetanus shot after being bit by an animal, I was seen for about 3 minutes, given a shot out of an uber tiny needle and charged SEVEN HUNDRED FUCKING DOLLARS. Which, BTW, I have no way of paying.

Unless that needle somehow made me younger, thinner and oddly attractive to super models, I can't even begin to understand how I owe them 700 dollars.

And before you say "OMG, it was an emergency!!!!11" I spent a good 2 hours waiting for them to see me for that 3 minutes. I don't think I made a single person rush to do anything.

Magus` on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dude, this isn't the health care thread.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Says the guy who was just talking about healthcare issues. O_o

And don't fucking call me dude.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoa. I heard of the Magic Negro "debacle", but when did Rush call the President a Ninja?

Also, perhaps the reason you would charge a woman more than a man is because the level of expertise regarding what one would consider a gender specific operation/service isn't the same?

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I'm not really on the up and up with health insurance, but is it binary or do you get like coverage options? Cause if it's the latter, then you could just pay for what you need.

That would solve the whole 'put in what you get out' issue.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Are you asking about different health care plans employers currently provide? It all depends on someones needs. Some employers have flexibility (I always chose Kaiser when it came time to reup), some don't. The problem most people have is that even though you might have some choice, you're still paying an arm and a leg for it. I personally never noticed it as I didn't have any dependents and didn't live paycheck to paycheck. For others, I can imagine it is a very real (and sore) spot each month when they take a look at their paycheck.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Magus` wrote: »

Seems a bit of an overreaction to the word "dude"....person I am conversing to on the internet (see what you've made me do Magus?! See?!)

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    It's a pet peeve. Anyone who knows me knows very quickly to never, ever call me that.

Magus` on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I just read this thing that the new Japanese Prime Minister wants to form a trading alliance with China - and cut the USA out of it. Here's what the Washington Post has to say about it. Can't wait for it to hit the airwaves, unless healthcare drowns it out.

Edit - Removing joking-aroundness, I'm sorry. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You son of a bitch

Also, silly Japan, no one cares what you think.

Magus` on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You tell 'em, dude.

theSquid on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Seriously, it's a psychological thing. Please don't do it.

Magus` on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    His parents were killed by city slickers trying to hog-tie a sow.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Magus` wrote: »

hey-dude.jpg

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How about El Duderino?

Speaker on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    So I just read this thing that the new Japanese Prime Minister wants to form a trading alliance with China - and cut the USA out of it. Here's what the Washington Post has to say about it. Can't wait for it to hit the airwaves, unless healthcare drowns it out.

Edit - Removing joking-aroundness, I'm sorry. D:

meh

total GDP, in USD :

— European Union 18,387,785
    1 United States 14,441,425
    2 Japan 4,910,692
    3 China 4,327,448

GDP per capita, in USD :

13 United States 47,440
    23 Japan 38,457
    104 China 3259

No real reason to worry. If anything, Japan has signed tons of multilateral and bilateral agreements with
    the rest of the world already, so it could do with a few more bilateral agreements with the PRC.

Not that logic is going to stop any pundits left and right from flailing, though.

(and this is assuming that all the [strike]JAPAN[/strike] CHINA TAKES OVER THE WORLD flailing is correct, which is often unmerited. For comparison, Mexico's GDP per capita is 10200, nearly three times the PRC. Perspective, people!)

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yea, I'm not entirely sure why the USA needs to be in every trade agreement ever. I'm sure we've already got separate arrangements with both.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I made the mistake of reading some comments on that story, and was reminded that I have never understood the hate some people seem to have for Nancy Pelosi. Is it just "woman in position of power wwarrraagghable" or what?

She's the person in the Speaker's chair. The opposition leader is pretty much automatically evil incarnate. Standard procedure, really. Pick any random Democrat, stick them in the Speaker's chair or make them Senate Majority Leader, and you'll get pretty much the same thing.

Kinda like how every time a Democrat runs for President, he's suddenly the most liberal liberal that ever liberaled.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Kinda like how every time a Democrat runs for President, he's suddenly the most liberal liberal that ever liberaled.

In 1988, Michael Dukakis was the most liberal Governor. I n 1992, that position passed to Bill Clinton. In 2004, Kerry was the most liberal Senator, and in 2008, that position passed to Barack Obama.
    Dyscord wrote: »

also that she isn't attractive enough for them

Gingrich and Hastert were ugly fuckers. And Pelosi is quite a looker in her HS graduation picture.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Westboro Baptist Church Protests Outside Obama Girls' School

Westboro-Baptist-Church-Protest-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg
    Westboro Baptist Church protesters in June 2009 in California

Westboro Baptist Church, the fringe-of-the-fringe anti-gay group famous for protesting at military funerals and claiming that God is punishing the country for its tolerance of homosexuality, was spotted this morning protesting outside Sidwell Friends, the school attended by Sasha and Malia Obama.

Protesters were carrying signs with anti-gay, anti-abortion and anti-Obama slogans, slowing down traffic all along Wisconsin Avenue this morning.

One member, Megan Phelps-Roper, posted a picture on Twitter of the protest.

Westboro Baptist Church, founded by Fred Phelps and made up mostly of Phelps family members, has garnered national attention for carrying signs such as "Thank God for 9/11" and protesting at funerals, including that of Matthew Shepard, the student who was killed in 1998 because he was gay.

They believe that the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, as well as the ensuing wars and even the mass shooting last week at Fort Hood, are punishment from God for tolerance of homosexuality. They plan to picket the Fort Hood memorial service this Tuesday.

The group, which is not affiliated with the Baptist church, protests nearly every day in Washington, D.C., rotating around the city. According to their web site, today they plan to hit a few more local schools and the White House, and will be at the Sidwell Friends Lower School tomorrow afternoon.

"Quakers?! Are you frigging kidding me? You pretend to be all non-violent, and you allow the most bloody, deceitful, evil, murderous bastard and his shemale sidekick to place their satanic spawn within your four walls?" reads the posting for today's protest at Sidwell Friends, which is a Quaker school.

The school has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Randall Terry, the extreme anti-abortion protester, has also arranged demonstrations outside the school.

I look forward to the impending media outrage over this.

Clevinger on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can wew just ignore Westboro Baptist? Especially in this thread, as they're not really GOPish. They're just loons.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »

Try not to strain your eyes.

Houn on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Westboro Baptist Church Protests Outside Obama Girls' School

Westboro-Baptist-Church-Protest-cropped-proto-custom_2.jpg
    Westboro Baptist Church protesters in June 2009 in California

Westboro Baptist Church, the fringe-of-the-fringe anti-gay group famous for protesting at military funerals and claiming that God is punishing the country for its tolerance of homosexuality, was spotted this morning protesting outside Sidwell Friends, the school attended by Sasha and Malia Obama.

Protesters were carrying signs with anti-gay, anti-abortion and anti-Obama slogans, slowing down traffic all along Wisconsin Avenue this morning.

One member, Megan Phelps-Roper, posted a picture on Twitter of the protest.

Westboro Baptist Church, founded by Fred Phelps and made up mostly of Phelps family members, has garnered national attention for carrying signs such as "Thank God for 9/11" and protesting at funerals, including that of Matthew Shepard, the student who was killed in 1998 because he was gay.

They believe that the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, as well as the ensuing wars and even the mass shooting last week at Fort Hood, are punishment from God for tolerance of homosexuality. They plan to picket the Fort Hood memorial service this Tuesday.

The group, which is not affiliated with the Baptist church, protests nearly every day in Washington, D.C., rotating around the city. According to their web site, today they plan to hit a few more local schools and the White House, and will be at the Sidwell Friends Lower School tomorrow afternoon.

"Quakers?! Are you frigging kidding me? You pretend to be all non-violent, and you allow the most bloody, deceitful, evil, murderous bastard and his shemale sidekick to place their satanic spawn within your four walls?" reads the posting for today's protest at Sidwell Friends, which is a Quaker school.

The school has not yet responded to a request for comment.

Randall Terry, the extreme anti-abortion protester, has also arranged demonstrations outside the school.

Learning about people who protest 24/7 always makes me wonder: "Don't these people have jobs?"

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IS the frog coming out of Obama's mouth based on a line from Revelation or does it make sense only in the mind of the person making that sign?

Starcross on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Archgarth wrote: »
    Learning about people who protest 24/7 always makes me wonder: "Don't these people have jobs?"

Quite a few of them are lawyers. Their entire job is making sure their protests are never technically illegal, and suing people who "assault" them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    IS the frog coming out of Obama's mouth based on a line from Revelation or does it make sense only in the mind of the person making that sign?
    13 Then I saw three evil spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
    14 They are spirits of demons performing miraculous signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty.
    So Obama is a Dragon/beast/false-prophet. And the frog is an evil spirit! Duh, get with it duder.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    none of these people seem to come to LA... my friends and I would love a fun target for our giant slingshot.

NotYou on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Someone's getting to be on the secret service's speed dial

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    All they're doing is pissing off rich people in Washington, which is never a good idea.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I would fully support making it illegal to protest in front of schools (strikers excluded).

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I would fully support making it illegal to protest in front of schools (strikers excluded).

I'd exclude students as well.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know, I'm almost tempted to put WBC members in a better position on the Totem Pole of Bigotry than people who vote against gay marriage because "it's immoral". Why? Because at least they believe they're helping the USA avoid God's wrath. Using your shitty principles to "protect" others is at least marginally better than just wanting to deny rights because you disagree with it.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    KingLampshadeKingLampshade regular
    edited November 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    You know, I'm almost tempted to put WBC members in a better position on the Totem Pole of Bigotry than people who vote against gay marriage because "it's immoral". Why? Because at least they believe they're helping the USA avoid God's wrath. Using your shitty principles to "protect" others is at least marginally better than just wanting to deny rights because you disagree with it.

So you would rate a bunch of soldier hating idiots who give real Christians a bad name higher than those who vote to not redefine marriage? Why is it somehow unacceptable to vote against gay "marriage" if one believes it is immoral? Morality one way or another is involved with most politics.

KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh god it's actually happening
    After hard-line conservatives and tea party activists forced moderate Republican Dede Scozzafava to drop out of the race in New York’s 23rd congressional district, they announced that Florida Gov. Charlie Crist would likely be their next target in the GOP civil war. Politico’s Ben Smith reports that some Florida Republicans recently registered an official “Tea Party” to challenge both Republicans and Democrats:

“The current system has become mired in the sludge of special interest money that seeks to control the leadership of both parties. It’s time for real change,” says Orlando lawyer Frederic O’Neal, the new party’s chairman, who couldn’t be reached immediately by phone, in a press release.

A spokeswoman for the Florida Secretary of State, Jennifer Davis, said the party had registered in August.

O’Neal compared his party’s role to that of the Conservative Party in New York’s 23rd District. Florida, however, lacks the “fusion” rules that has allowed third parties in New York to amass influence by offering their ballot line to acceptable major-party candidates.

On Saturday, Dan Semenza, a Lake County Republican Party executive committee member, told the Daily Commercial that the registration of the third party organization meant “that the Tea Party has considerable strength.”

I'm so happy I could cry

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was wondering when WBC would get involved in the Obama stuff. I'm glad they decided to be classy and do it outside the girls' school, because now we know how low they're willing to go. Not that protesting funerals wasn't low enough.

Henroid on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    13 Then I saw three evil spirits that looked like frogs; they came out of the mouth of the dragon, out of the mouth of the beast and out of the mouth of the false prophet.
    14 They are spirits of demons performing miraculous signs, and they go out to the kings of the whole world, to gather them for the battle on the great day of God Almighty.
    So Obama is a Dragon/beast/false-prophet. And the frog is an evil spirit! Duh, get with it duder.

This may take the thread off topic, so I apologize, but I just have to say something that Ive thought about a bunch of times since these crazies started coming out of the woodwork, but never actually vocalized.

How come the crazy religious people take EVERY SINGLE THING in the Bible SOOOOOOO literally - EXCEPT Revelation?

They argue that the bible says marriage is between a man and a woman ONLY, because ITS RIGHT THERE IN THE BIBLE. Theyve used the bible to argue for segregation. They use the LITERAL BIBLE for all the excuses, yet the one really BADASS part of the Bible is CONVENIENTLY 100% interpretation.

I hope so badly one day that a fucking dragon descends down from the sky on National News and opens his mouth and frogs start flying out and every religious nutjob goes "Ooooooh THATS the Antichrist."

This also makes me think again how I would pay a billion times to see a movie that was a literal, word for word, version of Revelations. That shit in CG with the four horsemen and dragons and fire and huge epic angel battles would be so awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

I'd exclude students as well.

Enough interest groups already exploit idealistic young students for free labor.

"Heeey, want an internship?"

"Oooooh yes yes I do!"

Umaro on
    Dogs.jpg
This discussion has been closed.