As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Disregard... The ladybug went to a better place.

Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
About ten minutes ago I noticed a ladybug crawling on my desk. Seems one of its wings won't retract into its shell and, being that it's cold and rainy, I've taken it upon myself to adopt this poor creature and either nurse it back to health or watch it die a lingering death through neglect. I'll go ahead and make a little terrarium when I get home.

Unfortunately, I don't have convenient access to aphids. Do ladybugs eat any sorts of fruits or sugars? Chocolates, perhaps? I did put some water in its cup in which the ladybug immediately dunked its head. But, I don't know if it was getting a drink or trying to drown itself.

I'd appreciate any help. Suggestions concerning names are par for the course.

I don't have a camera at work, so no pictures. But this ladybug is as cute as a three legged kitten.

Richard_Dastardly on

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Y'know, this would seem like the sort of question wikipedia is made for.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This is one of the few times that wikipedia dissapoints.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+care+for+a+ladybug
    Q. Can I keep a ladybug as a temporary pet?
    A. Keeping a ladybug as a pet to observe will be fun. You can house your ladybug in a bug box or terrarium. Keep the foliage moist, or place a damp paper towel inside so the ladybug can get a drink. You can feed your ladybug moistened raisins or other sweet, non-acidic fruits. This will help maintain their fat reserves until you are ready to release the ladybug in spring.

From the first link.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2009
    I'm well aware of google. But, I don't always tend to take the first link as gospel.

I'm looking for second opinions here.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    About ten minutes ago I noticed a ladybug crawling on my desk. Seems one of its wings won't retract into its shell and, being that it's cold and rainy, I've taken it upon myself to adopt this poor creature and either nurse it back to health or watch it die a lingering death through neglect. I'll go ahead and make a little terrarium when I get home.

Unfortunately, I don't have convenient access to aphids. Do ladybugs eat any sorts of fruits or sugars?

Coccinellidae are designed to ingest aphids. Are they obligate carnivores? No, not in the sense that cats are. Aphids are more of a "slow moving sugary snack in a meat wrapper", an organism that exists to consume plant matter and digest it until being plucked up and eaten by another, much larger but still rather small critter. Can Ladybugs consume other stuff? Yeah, they're beetles after all they can subsist on a lot of stuff but they extract a good deal of nutrition from the aphid not because of the aphid's flesh itself but from the half-digested contents of its digestive tract.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Funny. I just looked this up a few weeks ago because I saw about a swarm of them flying outside my workplace. Turns out that there are invasive species that are actually pests that look like ladybugs and they swarm. If its not bright red then you don't have a ladybug.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
    edited November 2009
    Funny. I just looked this up a few weeks ago because I saw about a swarm of them flying outside my workplace. Turns out that there are invasive species that are actually pests that look like ladybugs and they swarm. If its not bright red then you don't have a ladybug.
    It's... actually more of a dull orange. I must consult the oracle.

Crap. So, apparently I've actually rescued this.
    H_axyridis.JPG

Richard_Dastardly on
    edited November 2009
    I never knew how creepy lady bug larva looked. LarveCoccinelle(s).jpg

@MadScientist: They are all ladybugs, there are just different types. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccinellidae

And a couple other links on that google page offer the idea of using a soaked raisin as food. The only food items I saw offered were aphids, raisins, and super tiny spots of honey.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited November 2009

@MadScientist: They are all ladybugs, there are just different types. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coccinellidae

And a couple other links on that google page offer the idea of using a soaked raisin as food. The only food items I saw offered were aphids, raisins, and super tiny spots of honey.

Yeah.. I didn't realize something so cute could come from... that.

Anyway, it drank up all the water I gave it, then its wing went back into the shell so, assuming its healthy, I set it free outside my office.

Godspeed, insect.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    AW SICK!
    More like nasty alien bug hiding in a cute little shell...
    Grossed out for the day, thanks.

rfalias on
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The asian beetles were introduced as a means to control aphid and other pests that destroyed crops. While they are an 'invasive species', their introduction was purposeful.

The reason the beetle has found its way into your home, is probably because it is at the end of the season. The beetle normally dies off (or hibernates, I believe) with the cold weather, but instead, it finds its way into your home, and mistakes the warmth as a sign to stay awake. Thus, the beetle lives in your home for a while until it dies of starvation.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I love that thing. Give me more of those things.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
    edited November 2009
    Google Image Coccinellidae larvae and get ready for pages and pages of red and black facehuggers.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Toledo?

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited November 2009
    Toledo?

Wait... how... wha?!?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • ascannerlightlyascannerlightly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Toledo?
    shelbyville hospital?

ascannerlightly on
    armedroberty.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Toledo?

Wait... how... wha?!?
    Was the title change not you're doing then? Or did I accidentally stumble onto something significant when I named Toledo?

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • KillgrimageKillgrimage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    These little guys are EVERYWHERE in New England. They are figuring out ways to sneak inside my lab. I, for one, welcome our Asian Ladybug overlords.

Killgrimage on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited November 2009
    Just be glad you don't have to deal with the stink bug overlords.

Unknown User on
    edited November 2009
    Toledo?

Wait... how... wha?!?
    Was the title change not you're doing then? Or did I accidentally stumble onto something significant when I named Toledo?
    I'm in Toledo, so I just thought maybe you'd hacked my Internet.
    robothero wrote: »
    Just be glad you don't have to deal with the stink bug overlords.
    Once I realized what kind of bug it was I handled it like your average woosy. Before that, though, I was letting it crawl on my hand and then was pushing it around with the tip of my pen.

Richard_Dastardly on
This discussion has been closed.