As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's the [DJ HERO], I'm the Rapper

• XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    for the achievement where you play a mix with a mic plugged in, i guess it means like a rock band mic right? because i plugged in my headset and did a few mixes, nothing

Yep, a GH or RB mic should work fine.

XiaNaphryz on
  • midgetspymidgetspy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Woo, replayed some of my sightreads and the last tier on Hard and got the Legendary Status trophy! I still haven't been able to find a single online game though - I wonder if there are ports I need to open on my router or something...

midgetspy on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    midgetspy wrote: »
    Woo, replayed some of my sightreads and the last tier on Hard and got the Legendary Status trophy! I still haven't been able to find a single online game though - I wonder if there are ports I need to open on my router or something...

You are not finding games because no one is buying DJ Hero, and of those zero people, somehow even less (normally a statistical impossibility!) are buying it on PS3.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i found a game no problem, but hosting takes a bit longer
    after christmas when people get the game as a gift i expect more players online

Local H Jay on
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Played this last night, friend brought it over. GODDAMN 1 POINT ACHIEVEMENT!!!!

We got too drunk to progress far enough to 4 Star a song on Hard to even out my gamerscore, the game is super stingy with stars even on Medium. I had friends missing like 5 notes/fades total throughout a song and getting no better than 3 stars.

Allforce on
    edited November 2009
    Why do you care so much about a 1 point Achievement?

Also, I felt pretty confident on Expert, 'cause I was 5-starring easier stuff. Then I got to the Word Up/Poison mix and...oh my God.

UnbreakableVow on
  • PhoneBonePhoneBone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've been enjoying this immensely. Probably even more than I've enjoyed other plastic instrument based gaming. The music's great, even though I would have preferred a bit more European style DJ-ing (which, I have to admit, probably wouldn't work that well with the whole scratching interface)

Last night, however, I finally 5-starred everything on medium (fuck Noisia, seriously) and failed to get the 'The Grandmaster!' trophy (PS3). I did not enjoy that at all... Anyone else have this problem?
    Normally I don't even care for trophies, but I kinda felt I deserved this one. Guess the only way to get it now is 5-star everything on hard D:

Online has been a bit of a mixed bag. I can barely find any games on hard, but on medium I get a lot of rage quitters, especially if they're still a bit new to the game. Hopefully it'll pick up a bit after the holidays.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
    edited November 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »
    Last night, however, I finally 5-starred everything on medium (fuck Noisia, seriously) and failed to get the 'The Grandmaster!' trophy (PS3). I did not enjoy that at all... Anyone else have this problem?
    Normally I don't even care for trophies, but I kinda felt I deserved this one. Guess the only way to get it now is 5-star everything on hard D:

If you're using the standard setlist, check the guitar setlist as well. I was missing like two songs in it.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    PhoneBone wrote: »

If you're using the standard setlist, check the guitar setlist as well. I was missing like two songs in it.
    Holy crap, you might just be right! I always use the quicklist to check out my missing stars, but always pick standard setlist like I'm on auto pilot. I guess my brain likes to pretend the guitar setlist doesn't exist.

Unfortunately I can't check right now as I'm stuck at 'work', but I'll be sure to check it tonight. thanks!

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
    edited November 2009
    I'd like to point out that this turntable controller has remarkable battery life.

This is pretty much all I've been playing for two straight weeks and haven't had to replace them yet.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, the hardware seems to be pretty sparse with its battery usage. I've been playing it with the same batteries it came with and no problems so far. Although I have to admit, I've been taking 2-day breaks between heavy DJ hero play. This game is giving me some serious burnt in vision.

Actually, most rhythm games give me some trouble sleeping. I've woken up on three seperate occasions with the DJ hero notes highway still running in my head. Once was a bit disturbing when I hadn't even been playing the game the night before! Probably because I only play these games for hours on end instead of in short sessions and DJ hero happens to be the most addictive rhythm game I've come across.

PhoneBone on
    dansig.gif
    edited November 2009
    gonna snag my siblings rock band shit to get those achievements
    having a blast with this game, once you get the hang out it it's addicting
    i got to where i started five starring medium songs and bumped it up to hard, snagged the 'activate all (red button thingies)' my first go
    hard is a bitch though, the directional scratches can really throw me when i'm not paying attention
    also whoever made it so euphoria does crossfading for you, i want to hardcore make out with them

Local H Jay on
    edited November 2009
    I was playing with my webcam again tonight and made some videos... unfortunately I can't figure out how to link them without embedding them though, so super huge post ahoy:

M.I.A vs Wale

2 Pac vs The Aranbee Pop Symphony

Noisia

Hella Good vs Television

midgetspy on
    edited November 2009
    holy shit guy
    i can barely do hard and you post like a pro

Local H Jay on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Question: how does the game treat it when you screw up songs? Like, on that All Eyez on Me vs. Bittersweet Symphony, if you intentionally just leave the crossfader on the right (playing the symphonic harmony), does that track play continuously as it should, or would the track only play when it comes up in the song proper?

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited November 2009
    yeah it does not play if you mess up the crossfader. it's like a missed note on guitar hero, it stops playing.

Local H Jay on
    edited November 2009
    Woodroez wrote: »
    Question: how does the game treat it when you screw up songs? Like, on that All Eyez on Me vs. Bittersweet Symphony, if you intentionally just leave the crossfader on the right (playing the symphonic harmony), does that track play continuously as it should, or would the track only play when it comes up in the song proper?

Yeah it only plays the song if you're playing correctly, but that's what I'd expect for the regular single player mode. It would be really sweet if they had a freestyle mode where you could crossfade and scratch whenever you wanted though, but it'd be tough to make it work without having a way to line up the 2 songs somehow.

midgetspy on
    edited November 2009
    so here's a question, since the DJ is on no fail always, could i just play the guitar part myself? for the achievement for playing DJ/guitar set
    i'm pretty sick so friends are afraid to come help me with this shit.

Local H Jay on
    edited November 2009
    so here's a question, since the DJ is on no fail always, could i just play the guitar part myself? for the achievement for playing DJ/guitar set
    i'm pretty sick so friends are afraid to come help me with this shit.

Just for the "play guitar and DJ at same time" achievement? Sure you can. Then build some star power, then switch to the DJ side and get some Euphoria, then activate both and get the other achievement.

XiaNaphryz on
  • AnarchyAnarchy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really want this game but I can't justify the £60 they put on top of the game to get the peripheral. I'll wait till it comes down in price, but you guys aren't making it easy for me :P.

Anarchy on
    "Oh, well, this would be one of those circumstances that people unfamiliar with the law of large numbers would call a coincidence."
  • UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    *Steps into thread*

*Erupts into flames*

Man, this is worse than Rock Band. :P Seriously though, I tried this yesterday at EBs and...didn't seem too bad. It was very confusing though and incredibly embarrassing to do it in public and in front of friends.

Feels just like when I was starting Guitar Hero again! I must say, the sound quality is really top notch, it'd odd actually - I think Guitar Hero 5's were pretty well mixed.

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
    edited November 2009
    BTW I recorded my (short) session last night and threw them up on youtube again if anybody's interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/midgetspy. The songs I did were:

Daft Punk - Robot Rock vs Hashim - Al Naasfyish
    Benny Benassi - Satisfaction vs Tiesto - Elements of Life
    Common - Universal Mind vs Masta Ace - Jeep Ass Gutter

(I wish I could link to them without embedding them)

I have really been having trouble with the Beastie Boys songs - I wish there was a practice mode (or online charts) because I have no idea which arrows are pointing which way half the time in those complicated scratches. Also I still haven't figured out how to do multiple scratches in the same direction properly. I have been trying tapping the button while slowly rotating the platter in one direction but that doesn't seem to work, heh. I wonder what that is supposed to represent from a real DJ perspective? Or how you're "supposed" to do it?

midgetspy on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They really need to get some of these tracks up on Itunes. I've got no real interest in playing the game, but I'm a big fan of mashups, and many of the tracks that I've seen/heard are positively tasty.

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    edited November 2009
    shalmelo wrote: »
    They really need to get some of these tracks up on Itunes. I've got no real interest in playing the game, but I'm a big fan of mashups, and many of the tracks that I've seen/heard are positively tasty.

Soundtrack rips are floating around teh interwebs if you look in the usual places,

XiaNaphryz on
    edited November 2009
    Wow killer DJH night for me, I got almost all the 5* scores I was missing! Only two missing now: Rockit and Beats and Pieces D:

I found a trick for multiple scratches in a row: scratch *entirely* with your thumb on the side of the platter and just tap the button with your finger. Usually I scratch with my finger and thumb but that makes it too hard to pick up my finger between each scratch, so for unidirectional scratches I scratch back and forth with my thumb and tap the button only on the direction of the scratches. So now they've gone from completely impossible to very difficult ;-P

midgetspy on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SO glad i decided to buy this - amazing fun and the mixes are fantastic!

Louie on
    camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, sales are apparently tanking.

Ars Technica articlehttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/innovating-problems-why-dj-hero-flopped.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=Main%20Account&utm_campaign=microblogging

Here's hoping that I can pick up a copy of this on the cheap as a result. Unlike Rock Band, which I could use to entertain lots of people, I can't justify this game (which admittedly looks super, super awesome) being a higher price point than the other 50 single player games I want.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, sales are apparently tanking.

Ars Technica articlehttp://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/innovating-problems-why-dj-hero-flopped.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=Main%20Account&utm_campaign=microblogging

Here's hoping that I can pick up a copy of this on the cheap as a result. Unlike Rock Band, which I could use to entertain lots of people, I can't justify this game (which admittedly looks super, super awesome) being a higher price point than the other 50 single player games I want.

Hell, even if it didn't tank it would go on fire sale quick. Activision is notorious for cranking out too many copies of Hero games, even the popular ones, so they tend to get cheaper faster than you'd expect.

Edit:
    You don't know any of these songs

DJ Hero comes with a numbing number of great, big-name songs by impressive artists. The problem is the music you actually play in the game consists of mash-ups of two songs per track, and the DJs and producers who created the music were free to chop, change, and cut up the songs to create something new. The tracks are great, but it's not what you're used to, and your favorite song may only be used as a hook or a bass beat buried deep in the original track the game uses.

With other rhythm games, you know the songs you're playing. You know when a big solo is coming, and the hook that you love listening to is always going to be there. DJ Hero offers tracks that bump and pulse and change... that's good for the club, but it can create distance between the songs and players used to something a little more traditional.

If you're already comfortable with this style of music, you're going to love what the game offers. If you're not, you may find the use of the songs you know and love strange. The game's credibility may actually hurt it; including artists like Afrika Bambaataa may excite hip-hop fans, but that's not a name that's going to energize every gamer who sees it on the back of the box in a game store.

I knew I wasn't crazy.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Girlfriend's roommate grabbed this for Wii, I played about an hour the other night and utterly raped expert after playing just the tutorial. It's not that it's bad it just isn't for me.

Plus it is really lame as hell to watch someone sit and play with knobs and shit when we could all just be playing Rock Band and having a fucking blast.

EDIT: Feel like I should add that this is in response to news that sales are bad, I'm not just trying to rip the game I did kind of enjoy it. But I would not spend money on it in any way so I can see why sales are in the pooper.

Also, it could be due to xmas looming so close and people are waiting to get it as a gift - like me with Assassin's Creed 2.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited November 2009
    Girlfriend's roommate grabbed this for Wii, I played about an hour the other night and utterly raped expert after playing just the tutorial. It's not that it's bad it just isn't for me.

Plus it is really lame as hell to watch someone sit and play with knobs and shit when we could all just be playing Rock Band and having a fucking blast.

That's basically one of the reasons most people think it tanked. $120-200 for a video game is usually not something you'd want to spend. We learned that Rock Band and Guitar Hero were exceptions, but those were social activities from the start. Unless you find some way to get a friend to agree to let you play DJ Hero during his house dance party, I don't see this being something you do with friends often.

Edit: Jesus Christ. I decided to glance at craigslist just for kicks. Played-once copies selling for ~$75 all over the place.

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Edit: Jesus Christ. I decided to glance at craigslist just for kicks. Played-once copies selling for ~$75 all over the place.

I actually took a look at my local listings, and the only thing I could find was someone who wanted to trade their copy of Wii Fit for DJ Hero. :P

UnbreakableVow on
    edited November 2009
    I take it back, there was only one $75. Plenty of $80-90's though. That's not a great deal for an opened $120 game, but the sheer volume of people already wanting to get rid of it surprises me.

Darkewolfe on
  • temperature!temperature! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played this at Best Buy when someone left it paused on easy. It was too easy so I wanted to try a harder setting but I didn't know whether or not it was left on meduim or easy, so I put it on hard. I sucked pretty bad but 2 starred all three songs. I haven't been a fan of the Hero games since Activision took over but I really want to pick this up. It's a shame it's 120$ so I probably won't be getting this any time soon.

temperature! on
    XBL - Temperature_MD
    PSN - CardboardNine
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If I can find this at a Gamestop for $60 I will definitely pick it up. I have a $50 gift card that I was planning on using for New Mario Bros. or Borderlands, but I would be willing to put those off.

Nimble Cat on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, uh, Activision has already put DJ Hero on sale at $90 bucks on its online store.
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379866
    The regular edition of DJ Hero is now apparently 90 dollars online after a discount at the Guitar Hero Store.

Doesn't exactly speak well for the game's sales, but hey, a sale's a sale if you want it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd recommend the game to anyone who like rhythm games and anyone who likes remixes/mashups.

I'm having great fun even though I suck at this stuff. Battling through on hard as medium is probably too easy and I'm getting a few 4 stars amongst my 3's and occasional 2's.

Is Dizzee Rascal on the american version?

EDIT: also, how does everyone have their deck setup? mine is sitting on a small coffee table infront of me but I sometimes feel like I'm having problems getting enough purchase to scratch easily on blue. That may just be a hand size problem or something as my fingers feel pretty cramped on the deck.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • ChrisDudeChrisDude Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Adda wrote: »
    I'd recommend the game to anyone who like rhythm games and anyone who likes remixes/mashups.

I'm having great fun even though I suck at this stuff. Battling through on hard as medium is probably too easy and I'm getting a few 4 stars amongst my 3's and occasional 2's.

Is Dizzee Rascal on the american version?

EDIT: also, how does everyone have their deck setup? mine is sitting on a small coffee table infront of me but I sometimes feel like I'm having problems getting enough purchase to scratch easily on blue. That may just be a hand size problem or something as my fingers feel pretty cramped on the deck.

I think the song list is the same through each region. I love the Dizzee Rascal/Genesis mix, it's one of my favorites in the game.

I usually sit the deck on my lap so I don't feel like I'm overextending my body to reach for it.

ChrisDude on
    Chris Pennell Is A Huge Nerd - My blog. I talk about nerd-ish things a lot.
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah I really enjoyed that mix as well, was just surprised to see him on an international release like this.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited November 2009
    I put mine on an ottoman in front of me and then lean forward with my elbows resting on my knees. I don't recommend it.

midgetspy on
    edited November 2009
    WOOT, I got my last two 5*'s tonight to finish the full game 5*!! Those rewinds really help if you can find little parts of the songs that you can do perfectly and then rewind them and do them again for 8x. Now the only trophies I'm missing are all the online ones - I still haven't found a single game, lol.

midgetspy on