As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Y: The Last Man

MarkalarkMarkalark Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Graphic Violence
Hey there!
Anybody read the last TPB of Y:The Last Man (Kimono Dragons) ?

Now can anybody explain to me what the picture that Alter Tse'elon holds in the last pannel means ? It got me kinda confused. And it seems so pivotal to the entire story...

Thanks !

Markalark on

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Im pretty sure this question could have gone in the "ask whippy" thread and didn't really need its own thread.

That being said we can use this as an opportunity for some Y:TLM appreciation. I hear it's a great series that will be ending fairly soon. Ive yet to pick up any of the trades but im sure I will some day.

Marathon on
  • MarkalarkMarkalark Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All right, fair enough

SWITCH !

Yeah, it it indeed a great serie. Everything about it is really well thought out and extremely well done. I, for one, can't get enough of it and feel sad that it is, after all, a finite universe in which this story is told.

Markalark on
  • BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love the combination of comedy, drama, and a little action. It also helps that Yorick's one of the most likeable characters in comicdom.

BionicPenguin on
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Y was very engaging in the beginning. For about the first two years or so. But to me since then it's just been treading water. Bringing up more questions then it does answers. I still like the series and have been picking it up religiously since like the third issue. But I'll be happy when it's over.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Y has continuously been one of the best books on the shelves since it's launch and while I am glad that we will soon be getting some resolution I will really miss Yorrick and 355 and Ampersand when the series ends. This was the first BKV comic I read and I have since picked up pretty much anything else with his name on it.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm still holding out hope that the explanation for the plague that was given was a false one. I think the odds are strong considering it only accounted for the death of human males, and not the death of male animals.

I was thinking that, even after the males return, the existence of two prior generations of women more or less guarantees that females will hold the dominant role in society henceforth. This will be the result of women not only outnumbering men, but also the influence women will have on men as they guide the development of every single new man and the role the new men will have to take as studs whose usefulness will be gauged primarily by their ability to breed. In short, men may find themselves in the same position early women (and to some extent, modern women) were relegated to for thousands of years.

I think this raises an interesting possibility. Could it be, perhaps, that the reason men had the dominant role prior to the plague is because of a prior plague that greatly reduced the number of women, thusly guaranteeing that a large number of men were able to seize control of society for themselves and guide the growth of subsequent generations of women through sheer numbers? So maybe this plague is an attempt to correct the result of the first plague, or maybe the plagues are a cycle designed to keep balance between the two sexes.

Or maybe the plague was the first of its kind, but still a response to male dominance on the part of the world or scientists or whatever to see if the world would be better with women in charge (and of course it is an experiment, on the part of BKV at least, to explore what a female dominated world would look like in the form of a comic book).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I fucking love that Yorick has a "Fuck Communism" lighter.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    Could you maybe put details like how the plague happened in spoiler tags? I know I'm not quite caught up yet, and I'm sure others aren't as well.

DJ Eebs on
    edited March 2007
    Geebs wrote: »
    Could you maybe put details like how the plague happened in spoiler tags? I know I'm not quite caught up yet, and I'm sure others aren't as well.

If you're talking about my post, I didn't say how the plague happened so you don't have to worry about reading it in there.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »

my last christmas present this year (received around jan. 6th) was

detachxi9.jpg

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    bobgorila wrote: »

my last christmas present this year (received around jan. 6th) was

detachxi9.jpg
    Your duty is to tell us where to get this for ourselves

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    well, like i said, christmas present. i couldn't say, really.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • sushijerksushijerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    My friend has one too. He just took a silver zippo and took it to one of those engraving booths at the mall. I'm
    pretty sure there was an official version from Vertigo but this is probably easier to find.

sushijerk on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The nice thing about Y is that it is one of the few comics that is fun and rewarding both as a single and as trades.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited April 2007
    i can't stand non-trade comics anymore. I feel sick everytime i turn a page and see a full ad that makes me completely disconect with the story. I've already paid for this thing ! Why do i have to pay again by watching this crappy publicity !

Markalark on
    edited April 2007
    Because if they didn't run ads, the price would go even higher? Do you not watch TV or look at websites with advertisements either? Or anything with product placement?

As a side note, I just finished the eighth trade of Y. I'm almost caught up in time for it to end!

DJ Eebs on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Because if they didn't run ads, the price would go even higher? Do you not watch TV or look at websites with advertisements either? Or anything with product placement?

As a side note, I just finished the eighth trade of Y. I'm almost caught up in time for it to end!

While I understand the need for ads, I do find that they're a bit much. I could swear some of the singles I own have as many ad pages as comic pages.

Also, I find hughtron's comment perplexing.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007

While I understand the need for ads, I do find that they're a bit much. I could swear some of the singles I own have as many ad pages as comic pages.

Also, I find hughtron's comment perplexing.

I bought the first five trades of Y to catch up, and since then I've been buying it monthly, so I've got some experience with reading the book in both formats.

I just mean that I can buy a single issue of Y and it's a fun little read. There is a 'satisfying chunk of story' in one issue. Most of the issues end with a nice little cliff-hanger so I can look forward to next month, and there's the occaisional single-story issue that are nice. It reads well as a single, compared to say, Astonishing X-Men, which is so slowly paced in singles that hardly anything seems to happen.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited April 2007
    Oh, okay.

...It's hard for me to speak to that, since Astonishing is one of the comics I insist on buying singles of, whereas I've only read trades of Y. (And since there's only, what, six issues left, it seems kind of silly to start buying singles of it now.)

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited April 2007
    I do like Astonishing, I just found that not enough happened for me to justify buying a single issue of it when I could just wait six months and get the whole thing for cheap.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited April 2007
    hughtron wrote: »
    I do like Astonishing, I just found that not enough happened for me to justify buying a single issue of it when I could just wait six months and get the whole thing for cheap.
    Yeah, I can understand that.

Plus, it's not like an X-Men title by a high-profile writer is likely to get cancelled, especially when it's a limited series anyhow.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I crave volume 9, can't get here soon enough

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Plus, it's not like an X-Men title by a high-profile writer is likely to get cancelled, especially when it's a limited series anyhow.

Astonishing isn't a limited series.

SatanIsMyMotor on
    edited April 2007

Yes and everytime i see some, i'm still pissed. I understand advertisement in say, radio, or community television where the basic service is free of charge to the consumer, but in a 6$ 32page comic to have 12 entire pages of ad is just ridiculous. That and going to the movies and having a car publicity before the trailers pisses me off. The ticket already costs me like 10 $ !! Enough with product placement !

On a side note, can anyone answer my initial question about Y ? I tried asking twice in the "Ask wippy anything" thread but they seem to be cought in a causality loop concerting some dying mutants and how their lives seem meaningless now that their world is now populated with less than 200 fictional characters.
    Markalark wrote: »

Now can anybody explain to me what the picture that Alter Tse'elon holds in the last pannel means ? It got me kinda confused. And it seems so pivotal to the entire story...

Markalark on
    edited April 2007
    It's just a picture of army girls shooting at each other. If it has any significance beyond showing that women are as likely wage a war (over the last man) as the men were, I missed it.

And of course, being the center of a war is what Alter wants to save Yorick from.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited April 2007
    I hope it's something deeper than that... It seemed so important, and they put so much emphasis on that picture as the last thing you saw in the entire Kimono Dragon arc.

Markalark on
    edited April 2007
    Where are you at that comics cost $6?

DJ Eebs on
    edited April 2007

Astonishing isn't a limited series.

Right, my mistake. It's just that Whedon and Cassaday will be leaving it after this arc.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Where are you at that comics cost $6?
    In the UK, comics can cost £2.85. Yahoo tells me that that is $5.60 US.

Wildcat on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yes and everytime i see some, i'm still pissed. I understand advertisement in say, radio, or community television where the basic service is free of charge to the consumer, but in a 6$ 32page comic to have 12 entire pages of ad is just ridiculous. That and going to the movies and having a car publicity before the trailers pisses me off. The ticket already costs me like 10 $ !! Enough with product placement !

On a side note, can anyone answer my initial question about Y ? I tried asking twice in the "Ask wippy anything" thread but they seem to be cought in a causality loop concerting some dying mutants and how their lives seem meaningless now that their world is now populated with less than 200 fictional characters.

I remember thinking the same thing when I saw that panel. It confused the hell out of me for a while because I thought I missed something big. But now I am pretty sure it doesn't have any huge significance. Although it's been a little while since I picked up an issue of Y, but didn't it turn out that
    That picture was faked or something? Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I thought there was a scene when another soldier confronts Alter over it and it turns out the picture wasn't what she said it was.

Also, here's hoping that the explanation for the plague was a fake because it seemed pretty stupid and didn't account for a lot of things.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg