As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity.Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
It's out now, folks! Why aren't you playing it?

MODERNWARFARETITLE.png

Hello and welcome to the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 thread! While posting here and playing with other people remember:

a) Have fun.
b) Don’t be a dick, even if doing so accomplishes a) for you.

What does Wikipedia have to say about it?

Wikipedia description:
Modern Warfare 2 (packaged as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2) is an upcoming first-person shooter video game developed by Infinity Ward and published by Activision for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. Officially announced on February 11, 2009, the game is due for worldwide release on November 10, 2009. It is the sixth installment of the Call of Duty series, and the direct sequel to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, continuing along the same storyline.

Modern Warfare 2 will be released in conjunction with two other Call of Duty games: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized for the Nintendo DS, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, a port of Call of Duty 4 adapted by Treyarch for the Wii console. In addition, a comic book series based on one of the game's characters will also be produced, entitled Modern Warfare 2: Ghost. The developer has stated that the game's proprietary IW 4.0 game engine is an improvement over the engine used in its previous game.

I checked and surprisingly this description basically hasn’t changed, so eh.

Ground Rules

I've PM'd Echo about these, since I don't want to come off sounding like I think I have Mod-like powers, but I'll post them in this spoiler and let you guys decide whether they sound reasonable.
Due to previous controversy, I’m setting out some rules to ensure that we all have a good time here.

-No ‘LOL Treyarch’ posts: I don’t care if your cat was run over by a Treyarch employee, this is the MW2 thread, stay on topic.

-No PC vs console arguments: We’re all here to enjoy Modern Warfare 2, so play nice, and don’t perpetuate this stereotype of internet forums.

-Keep ethical debate civil: Discussing the inner workings of a game is what these threads are all about, but once again, play nice.

On Dedicated Servers, etc: This argument appears to have died down, and while any thread on even the most AAA of games is going to have people bring up (often legitamate) gripes (like Killer Croc in Batman:AA, or No Fighting in the War Room in this thread), I would like to think that the people who have been turned off from MW2 (your call and I respect your decision) have said their piece and can leave this thread to the people who are excited about this game.

-Remember your spoiler tags!

Work-around to lack of Party Chat by Sivraj:
Sivraj wrote: »
But for anyone trying to play multiplayer with their friends, here's an alternative to party chat:

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/11/09/alternative-to-party-chat-in-call-of-duty-modern-warfare-2/

From the site:
Step One: Go to Xbox.com and log in to your account
Step Two: From your profile page, click on Privacy Settings (it's just to the right of your avatar)
Step Three: The top option should say Voice and Text. Set it to Friends Only. Save.

Now whenever you play "Modern Warfare 2" multiplayer you'll only hear people you are friends with.

Basically, you set your "Voice and Text" option to Friends Only. BAM, problem solved :D. I'm not sure if you can do it from your console though. The website only explains how to do it through Xbox.com.

Awesome video time! I know I've missed some, but they can always be added later.

What about weapons, perks, etc?

Weapons/equipment list plus unlock levels courtesy of Mechanical.
Primary Weapons

Assault Rifles
4 - M4A1
1 - FAMAS
9 - SCAR-H
20 - TAR-21
28 - FAL
40 - M16A4
48 - ACR
60 - F2000
70 - AK-47

Submachine Guns
4 - MP5K
1 - UMP 45
12 - TDI Vector
24 - P90
44 - Mini Uzi

Light Machine Guns
1 - L86 LSW
4 - RPD
16 - MG4
32 - AUG HBAR
52 - M240

Sniper Rifles
2 - Barrett Light Fifty
4 - Intervention
36 - WA2000
56 - M14 EBR

2 - Riot Shield

Secondary

Machine Pistols
3 - PP2000
22 - G18
38 - M93
58 - TMP

Shotguns
1 - SPAS-12
18 - AA-12
34 - Striker
42 - Ranger
54 - M1014
67 - Model 1887

Handguns
2 - USP.45
26 - Colt Anaconda
46 - M9
62 - Desert Eagle

Launchers
1 - AT4-HS
14 - M79 x2
30 - Stinger
50 - Javelin
65 - RPG-7 X2

Equipment

4 - Frag grenade: Cookable frags
4 - Semtax: Timed stickey explosives
7 - Throwing Knife: Throwable weapon, can be picked back up
11 - Tactical Insertion: Choose spawn position
19 - Blast Shield: Increased explosive resistance
31 - Claymore: Proximity mine
43: C4: Remote explosive device

Special Grenades:
x1 Smoke
x2 Flash
x2 Stun

Primary weapon attachment list with help from Kris_xK (Secondary weapon attachment list pending):

Assault Rifles: ( M4A1, FAMAS, SCAR-H, TAR-21, FAL, M16A4, ACR, F2000, AK-47)
Grenade Launcher
Red Dot Sight
Silencer
ACOG Scope
FMJ
Shotgun
Holographic Sight
Heartbeat Sensor
Thermal
Extended Mags

Sub Machine Guns: (MP5K, UMP45, Vector, P90, Mini-Uzi)
Rapid Fire
Red Dot Sight
Silencer
ACOG Scope
FMJ
Akimbo
Holographic Sight
Thermal
Extended Mags

Light Machine Guns: (L86 LSW, RPD, MG4, AUG HBAR, M240)
Grip
Red Dot Sight
Silencer
ACOG Scope
FMJ
Holographic Sight
Heartbeat Sensor
Thermal
Extended Mags

Snipers: (Intervention, Barrett .50 cal, WA2000, M21 EBR)
Silencer
ACOG Scope
FMJ
Heartbeat Sensor
Thermal
Extended Mags

Perk list also courtesy of Mechanical (and completed with help from Kris_xK):
TIER 1
1 - Marathon: Unlimited sprint.
-Pro: Increased mantle speed. (Run 26 miles with this perk)
2 - Sleight of Hand - Faster reloading.
-Pro: Increased Aim Down Sight speed. (120 kills with this perk)
13 - Scavenger - Full resupply from dead enemies.
-Pro: Extra Mags. (100 Resupplies)
21 - Bling - 2 primary weapon attachments.
-Pro: Two attachments on secondary weapon. (200 kills with this perk)
45 - One Man Army - Switch classes without respawn.
-Pro: Swap classes faster. (120 kills with this perk)

TIER 2
1 - Stopping Power: Increased bullet damage.
-Pro: Increased damage to vehicles. (250 kills with this perk)
1 - Lightweight - Overall speed increase.
-Pro: Quick aim after sprinting. (Sprint 30 miles with this perk)
9 - Hardline: Killstreaks require 1 less kill.
-Pro: Deathstreaks require 1 less death. (40 killstreaks [at least 2 kills] with this perk)
25 - Cold-Blooded: Undetectable by UAV, air support, sentries and thermal.
-Pro: No red crosshair or name when targeted. (Destroy 40 enemy killstreak rewards while using this perk)
33 - Danger Close: Increased explosive damage.
-Pro: Extra air support damage. (100 explosive kills with this perk)

TIER 3
1 - Commando: Increased melee distance.
-Pro: No falling damage. (20 melee kills with this perk)
1 - Steady Aim: Increased hip accuracy.
-Pro: Iron Lungs (Hold breath longer to reduce sniper rifle sway). (80 hip-fire kills with this perk)
17 - Scrambler: Distorts nearby opponent's radar.
-Pro: Delay enemy claymore explosions. (50 close-range kills with this perk)
29 - Ninja: Invisible to heartbeat sensor. (Note: NINJA WORKS CORRECTLY ON THE HEARTBEAT SENSOR, IT IS A BUG IN THE KILLCAM.)
-Pro: Dead Silence (Move silently). (50 close-range kills with this perk)
37 - Sitrep: Locate enemy explosives and tactical insertions.
-Pro: Enemy footsteps louder. (Destroy 120 enemy devices using this perk)
41 - Last Stand: Pull out your pistol before dying for 10 seconds.
-Pro: Use grenades and equipment as well as your pistol. (20 Last Stand kills)

Kill/Deathstreak list:
Modern Warfare 2 Killstreaks (Note: You start with UAV, Care Package and Predator Missile, you earn tokens to unlock more as you level up, first at level 10. These do stack now, meaning you won’t lose your previous rewards if you earn higher level ones. You also can’t take two killstreaks which require the same number of kills to earn at the same time).
3 Kills -- UAV
4 Kills -- Care Package
4 Kills -- Counter UAV
5 Kills -- Sentry Gun
5 Kills -- Predator Missile
6 Kills -- Precision Airstrike
7 Kills -- Strike
7 Kills -- Attack Heli
8 Kills -- Emergency Airdrop
9 Kills -- Pave Low
9 Kills -- Stealth Bomber
11 Kills -- Chopper Gunner
11 Kills -- AC-130
15 Kills -- EMP
25 Kills -- Tactical Nuke (this instantly ends the match with you as the victor)

Deathstreaks
1 - Copycat - 4 deaths without a kill
6 - Painkiller - 3 deaths without a kill
27 - Martyrdom - ? deaths without a kill
39 - Final Stand - ? deaths without a kill

Neogaf's thread is alright for some other info and pretty pictures.

I want to play with people on this forum!

(X360) Friends List for that console which overheats a lot:

We've got a CoD Clan Meta-Tag run by Burtletoy: A PA CoD Clan

If you send a friend invite to this account, either pm Burtletoy on the forums, or send a message to his real xbox gamertag, Brutletoy (Not Burtletoy, like his forum handle) If you just post something in this thread, he might see it an reminder to add you.

Special Burtletoy related update!
Burtletoy wrote: »
Either way, what it comes down to is it is my list, and I'm not going to be the one sending the invites cause I don't want to and I'm going to go home and take my ball with me!

In other words, send the invite to the clan, don't expect him to take the time to send invites to you.

There's also PA CoD4, which is an older account with a lot of names on it, I think it was being run by I King Kong I. It probably isn't being maintained anymore, FYI.

(PS3) Friends List for that console which people seem to laugh out loud about for some reason:
PA Handle - PS3 Name

Gihgehls as Hellphish
Debaserzbs as FancyLad
Jokerman as Jokermein
Fourier_series as Fourier_series
Algertman as AlbertBOMB
Ah_Pook as Ah_Pook
Jean Claude Van Calm as Grimmsy- (yes, that's a dash there)
KidDynamite as NinjaForHire
Articus as Art__ (that's 2 underscores)
Shaggy as Mr_P1tt
(PC) Friends List for that console which actually isn’t a console and uses some sort of program called ‘Storm’, or whatever.
PA Handle - Steam Name

Gihgehls as hellphish
Fleck0 as Fleck0
SirToasty as patoast
Dourin as Dourin
ReverendCaliber as ReverendCaliber

We also have a Steam group! It's public, so no need for invites. PM Fleck0 if you have any other questions.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/pamw2

And finally, a funny:

707743737_9t9ZR-L.jpg

PaperLuigi44 on

• SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I stayed awake over 24 hours but then still went to midnight launch, just beat the campaign a few hours ago. So worth it. Easily GOTY.

Just now played multiplayer for a few hours with a friend, taking a break now. Feel free to add me on Live, my gamertag is in my signature.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TAR-21 OR BUST.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • SaigaSaiga Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also regarding the ending, REAL SPOILERS :
    This does mean Modern Warfare 3, right? Because I am PUMPED, even more so since it'll involve Soap, Price and Nikolai.

Saiga on
    28je138.png
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I feel like levelling is really sped up compared to MW1. I'm almost level 10 now, and that's after almost beating the campaign. I remember that level 10 took me a couple days, before.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Have a bowl of Cheerios, buddy, because I just kicked your ass!"

New low in insults, courtesy of an 11 year old boy on XBL

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got this game. The PC version, in fact. My Steam name is SteveBartz if anyone wants to play.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Alright, I'm heading on now. Anyone who want to join me, hit me up through the meta-tag, assuming there I don't join someone else's game.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was going to buy this game on PC until I checked the metacritic score and saw how it was universally panned.
    I never had any intention of buying it, but I was entertained by the smear campaign going on. People sure do love their dedicated servers.

langfor6 on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Have a bowl of Cheerios, buddy, because I just kicked your ass!"

New low in insults, courtesy of an 11 year old boy on XBL

Just remember he has a bedtime and you don't.

You still win.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm trying to figure out the best way to build a "Stabby" class.

Marathon seems to be mandatory, as does Cold Blooded.

But for the third perk, should I go Scrambler or Commando? Commando's the obvious choice, but then, I know that I turn into a gibbering idiot whenever someone scrambles MY radar. It's worked pretty well so far.

But Scrambler does alert people to your presence. I think it probably works better on clusterfuck stairway maps like Favela.

Well, the entire idea of a run-around-stabbing-people class really only works on maps like that anyway, huh.

Captain K on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    I was going to buy this game on PC until I checked the metacritic score and saw how it was universally panned.
    I never had any intention of buying it, but I was entertained by the smear campaign going on. People sure do love their dedicated servers.
    I was never really a fan of dedicated servers. I usually always get slammed with peoples ads for their clans/servers.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
    edited November 2009
    I just realized that my brain is trying to turn MW2 into Counter-Knife: Source.

But, seriously, stabbing people is the best.

Captain K on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    I just realized that my brain is trying to turn MW2 into Counter-Knife: Source.

But, seriously, stabbing people is the best.

A kindred spirit!

The Impaler title was the first one I unlocked. I think I had it before I hit level 3.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
    edited November 2009
    I just remembered that one of the loading screen "intel" bits was about the Tactical Knife option, which I guess lets you stab faster when you're holding a pistol with that "attachment" equipped? (omg Snake Eater CQC anybody)

Has anybody used this? I wonder how many pistol kills I'd need to unlock it.

Captain K on
    edited November 2009
    Captain K wrote: »
    I just remembered that one of the loading screen "intel" bits was about the Tactical Knife option, which I guess lets you stab faster when you're holding a pistol with that "attachment" equipped? (omg Snake Eater CQC anybody)

Has anybody used this? I wonder how many pistol kills I'd need to unlock it.

It comes with one of the premade classes; it is faster, it allows you to return to your secondary weapon more quickly. Dunno kill count.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So did they ever wrap up the Mile High Club mission from CoD4?

Lucky Cynic on
    edited November 2009
    And while we're at it, I saw an extremely goofy-but-effective way to play earlier tonight--one of the guys in my game lobby exclusively used the riot shield with a throwing knife. He ended almost every round with a positive K:D ratio!

The solution is semtex, it turns out. It sticks to that riot shield quite nicely.

Captain K on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never really cared about dedicated servers per se. I did fear the change they represented, but everything seems to be running smoothly on the first day. Which is really more than I can say for most games that come with interesting and new . . . "doohickies".

That being said, this game was freaking intense! Bought it at noon, beat it an hour ago, kicked ass every step of the way.
    Jesus Christ no one can kill Soap and Price. Those two are getting to be more hardcore than Solid Snake.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm loving the Spec-Op missions. I need some major practice for the MP though...I knew I was rusty but not this bad. :mrgreen:

I think my only complaint so far...Party Chat! There is nothing more annoying than a random 13 year old popping on your team, yapping about nonsense.

NovembersChopin on
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha, teamwork with riot shields; this guy was leading a charge in, so I come up behind w/ mah TAR-21 and kill like 4 people.

WTB Bro-fist functionality in game.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do we have a steamgroup for us pc gamers? cause if so my steamid is Fleck0

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Complete of campaign done... 5 hours 19 min 1 sec 30 ms. And id like to say first off the game overall is great. I did love it as a whole.

But FUCK some of those areas. Fuck em up thier stupid asses. I need some decompression time before I even try to play on veteran,
    12 Production Babies... cool!

Jubal77 on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    THROWING KNIFE = GREATEST THING.

That is all.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    stabbing dudes is basically the best thing. major counterstrike flashbacks going on for me here. also i suck really bad thus far.

any ps3 people feel free to add me, my psn is Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook on
  • mooshoeporkmooshoepork Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck all you Americans giving me yellow connections <_<

They REALLY need a filter by locality function. They needed it in MW1, they didn't do it in WAW, and of course, they didn't do it in MW2. Wtf guys. Wtf.

Fffffffffffff

mooshoepork on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you just want to play online on ONLY hardcore mode, can you just search for a hardcore game? Watching gameplay videos, I noticed most people play with magic radar/superman life turned on. Hardcore mode is the only real way to play this game.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yea you choose hardcore from the list of gametypes. you have to unlock it first though.

Ah_Pook on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, what you guys are saying is that I should get this game tomorrow?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh theres so much to love, the TAR-21 blinged out with the sensor and scope, the AA12 just being awesome and making children rage quit. Goin to sleep now, killings will resume tomorrow. Add Grimmsy- PS3 players.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • Super NaturalSuper Natural Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RAAAAAAAGE
    I have to wait till Monday night to play due to a shipping miss-count at my local, good-old Gamesman.

I don't even know why I still go there....

Super Natural on
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good to see that BS knife lunge is still in multiplayer.

P.S. oh and people jumping into areas they shouldnt too.

Jubal77 on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    yea you choose hardcore from the list of gametypes. you have to unlock it first though.

:(

what level is the unlock?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Everytime you play this game on the PC, Jesus rapes a puppy.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited November 2009
    I don't know any puppies. Not my problem.

(launches game on steam)

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So guys, give it to me straight.
    Should I buy the 360 or PC version?

I'd love to buy PC (by a wide margin), but does it run like COD4? As in, smoothly? Is it an clunky port?

Bearcat on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I rented the game today.

I am not liking that first Brazil level, where enemies are fucking everywhere on multiple levels and you get turned around so easily. I don't even know how that's going to be feasible in Veteran.

DarkPrimus on
    edited November 2009
    Yah, Brazil is tough.
    I literally had to hunt down and murder everyone in that little shanty-town before I could locate Rojas.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Getting blood splatter in your eyes after a fall is not a great thing

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I rented the game today.

I am not liking that first Brazil level, where enemies are fucking everywhere on multiple levels and you get turned around so easily. I don't even know how that's going to be feasible in Veteran.
    It's feasible, just really annoying and difficult. My friends seemed to have less difficulty with it than me though.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot