As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Comic for Friday, March 30, 2007

• Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Yeah.

That's the point of his argument Defender.

Games back then were a lot shorter, so they made up for it by being a lot harder so it would take you longer to reach the end.

I'm saying that it's true of SOME games, not all, and I offered some decent counterexamples. I'm also saying that using challenge as part of a game's length is not bad and can actually be good.
    Javen wrote: »
    So you're saying you can tell just by looking at a game that you'll be playing it years down the road? Because that's a pretty lofty claim.

No, I said that I prefer to buy games that will last instead of crap that will be boring in a month. I did not say that I can do so at a glance with unerring accuracy.

Defender on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I normally turn my old games into pants.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    my old games are nostalgia inspired conversation pieces if nothing else

mrpaku on
  • Options
    MuhahahahahaMuhahahahaha Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Pics or it didn't happen

Muhahahahaha on
  • Options
    tsplittertsplitter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

normal pants or deni quality?

tsplitter on
    FqmsaJ6.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess it's kind of related, where do you folks go to buy games anyways? Going into Gamestop and/or EB nowadays makes me want to fly into a fit of rage at the stupid customers and stupid workers, Frys is like 30 miles out, and Best Buy never seems to have anything I actually want

Usually I just end up going to Frys but fuck that's a lot of gas money

Ledneh on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Are you guys clamoring for the return of games like Pacman and galaga or something

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    CBG BlenderCBG Blender Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't see how so many people get burned buying crap games. I'm not so impulsive that I jump at a game 'just because'. If I owned a PS3, would I have bought the Gundam game? Fuck no. I could easily read one review or see one gameplay vid to know that. Did I buy Tomb Raider? Hell no. How many good tomb raider games have their been since the first couple? I'm not going to chuck 60 bucks at something on a good faith gamble. I'll buy games at launch that are pretty much guaranteed to rock. Crap games aren't worth $60 new, nor are they worth $40 used. If I should use EG/Gamestop's used games like rentals, how about I just, you know, go to a rental place ?

In this day and age, it's too easy to find out about a game before buying it. Most reviews will tell you how long it takes to play through the game. If it sounds appealing, but you still don't want to buy it, then rent it! It's like 7 bucks. Do people just walk into Best Buy and buy games based on the box art? Just like movies, you can know in advance that some games are bound to suck. Don't waste your money on them then act surprised about it.

Re: Physical vs Digital: I've always liked to have a physical collection. I'll buy DVDs and games that I enjoy, and like to have them to let my friends borrow and whatnot. Digital distribution takes up a ton of space, and isn't as portable/transferable as I would like.

CBG Blender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Yeah I really really don't get how people are so dumb that they do that shit, because I'm pretty sure most people don't have money to burn or time to waste.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Defender wrote: »
    Yeah I really really don't get how people are so dumb that they do that shit, because I'm pretty sure most people don't have money to burn or time to waste.

Jesus was that sarcasm, I can't even tell anymore

Ledneh on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    It's Janeway

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Ledneh wrote: »

Huh? No, I'm not kidding, I don't get how people drop $60 on something without doing any kind of research whatsoever and then sink hours into playing it, only to discover that it's a piece of shit and there are all these websites that would tell you so. I don't know anyone who even goes to the movie theater if they don't know in advance what they want to see and when it's playing, and they've usually also read reviews by that time.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Huh? No, I'm not kidding, I don't get how people drop $60 on something without doing any kind of research whatsoever and then sink hours into playing it, only to discover that it's a piece of shit and there are all these websites that would tell you so. I don't know anyone who even goes to the movie theater if they don't know in advance what they want to see and when it's playing, and they've usually also read reviews by that time.

Oh, okay

See, I thought it was sarcasm 'cause frankly people can be pretty fucking stupid and I'm sure you know this

Ledneh on
  • Options
    opieopie Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I just go to theaters all the time. There's a big difference here, Video games are much newer (obviously) than Movies, so there isn't as much of that group of nostolgic critics like movies have (Why is everything a dick or fart joke, why aren't there movies like Casablanca anymore?) You don't get that bias with game reviews, I'd trust a game review any day of the week, but fuck movie critics.

opie on
  • Options
    AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I work at EB Games and find this hilarious. I'm going to show this to the guys at work. Hopefully they find it just as funny.

AutoSciz on
  • Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Paladin wrote: »
    Are you guys clamoring for the return of games like Pacman and galaga or something
    Yo momma plays Pac Man.

jwalk on
  • Options
    ThaoxThaox Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is a decent candidate for a knob edit.

Thaox on
  • Options
    Randall_FlaggRandall_Flagg Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Still, discs are useful. I recently used my old Medal of Honor and Gauntlet discs as wheels for a car that was powered by a mousetrap (it was pretty awesome).

Randall_Flagg on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    jwalk wrote: »
    Paladin wrote: »
    Yo momma plays Pac Man.
    Actually she plays super mario bros

She always takes the warp pipes

Paladin on
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    Some_JerkSome_Jerk Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Man I fucking hate when people compare games to movies. That shit's dumb. Then again, so am I, so here I go...

You wouldn't pay $10 or whatever your local cinema-plex-a-tron charges to go see Epic Movie would you? No, probably not, that movie's gonna suck and suck hard. Now lets say that you walk into Blockbuster one day and the guy at the counter offers you a chance to buy that movie for TWO dollars. This is significantly less than what you would pay for the experience when it was first available. Would you buy said shit comedy? Fuck no! First of all it's not worth the two dollars, and secondly you have no desire to waste two hours of your life.

Now replace the words "blockbuster" with "gamestop" and "Epic Movie" with "Red Steel" and you see what I'm getting at. Don't buy shit games. If you get bored with a game put it down for a while, pick up some others, then go back to it. Games are either good or bad, they don't change without mods. It's still fun to snap necks in Metal Gear Solid, I swear.

Some_Jerk on
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe, and from this side only! The flight of a half-man, half-bird. Dinosaurs nuzzling their young in pastures where strip-malls should be. Cookies on dowels. All those moments lost in time; gone like eggs off a hooker's stomach. Time to die.
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm totally for digital copies of multiplayer only games. I bought DoD :S, CS:S and the Source SDK for 30 bucks and I'm quite happy with that. I just can't see myself doing that with any game I'd like to bring over to a friend's house to play. I don't own a next-gen console, but its not something I'd like to lug down to my friends house every second day, especially in the crazy weather we usually get here. We also rent more than we buy (although he owns stacks and stacks of used games which is cool, because I can bum some off him.. something else I can't do with air and electrical pulses in his machine)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    All this talk of old games got me to reinstall Medieval: Total War.

Man my comp's really feeling it's age. It used to run Medieval with some issues but it worked. Now when I go to a battle, my comp usually freezes up and I have to restart my comp. It's about 50/50 whether it'll freeze. But I keep trying because the battles are the best part of the game. Can hardly wait for my new comp to arrive and I hope this works in Vista because it's actually a cool old game that I'd like to keep playing.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess it's kind of related, where do you folks go to buy games anyways? Going into Gamestop and/or EB nowadays makes me want to fly into a fit of rage at the stupid customers and stupid workers, Frys is like 30 miles out, and Best Buy never seems to have anything I actually want

I just buy them online, either at amazon.com or a dedicated online game store. You pick out the game you want, they charge your credit card and then they mail the game to you. No fuss, no muss.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If there were a place where you could trade in old movies for decent prices, I would probably do that, too. I own a lot of DVDs that I don't watch that much, anymore.

Javen on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    don't those EB places take used dvd's

I know I always see them for sale

ZeroFill on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited March 2007
    yeah you get like $1 for every dvd you trade

Knob on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Do people really even care that much about the price of a game? Personally, I care a lot more about the quality. I don't buy more than maybe 8-10 games a year though, I guess some people buy that many a month, but still.... Would you rather pay $60 for a super awesome good game that you will play (off and on) for the next 6 months, or a year.. or MORE... or would you rather pay $45 for a crappy and/or short game you'll finish or be bored of in a week?

Seriously. I played Warcraft: TFT last night. I think I've paid about $100-$120 for Warcraft III and its expansion. I have gotten my money's worth out of this game and WELL BEYOND. Even if I bought a $500 graphics card just for this game, it would still come out to way under $1 per hour.

I don't know what a good metric is, like in terms of dollars per hour of entertainment, but I, you know, work for my money, and I don't have a vault full of gold dubloons. I don't understand buying a $60 game that you play for 10 hours and then you're done.

100-120 dollars? That is some ridiculous shit right there. I think the battlechest is like fourty bucks at wal mart. Even if you grabbed them first day release, I think RoC was fifty and TFT was what, thirty five?

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I love my GameStop

I worked there even

I haven't seen them refusing to sell any new shit but uh yeah I like the whole used games thing, though i would never sell a game for like $4 or whatever they give you. They buy some for a dollar. Store credit. $.80 cash.

Ugh.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Do people really even care that much about the price of a game? Personally, I care a lot more about the quality. I don't buy more than maybe 8-10 games a year though, I guess some people buy that many a month, but still.... Would you rather pay $60 for a super awesome good game that you will play (off and on) for the next 6 months, or a year.. or MORE... or would you rather pay $45 for a crappy and/or short game you'll finish or be bored of in a week?

Seriously. I played Warcraft: TFT last night. I think I've paid about $100-$120 for Warcraft III and its expansion. I have gotten my money's worth out of this game and WELL BEYOND. Even if I bought a $500 graphics card just for this game, it would still come out to way under $1 per hour.

I don't know what a good metric is, like in terms of dollars per hour of entertainment, but I, you know, work for my money, and I don't have a vault full of gold dubloons. I don't understand buying a $60 game that you play for 10 hours and then you're done.

100-120 dollars? That is some ridiculous shit right there. I think the battlechest is like fourty bucks at wal mart. Even if you grabbed them first day release, I think RoC was fifty and TFT was what, thirty five?

Oh OK, then in that case I guess I paid like $95 or something? I got the fancy RoC with the art book and the DVD of all the cutscenes, so I think that was $60, then I guess TFT was $35 if you're correct, so I suppose it's $95 before tax, which is roughly $100, especially when you include my state's 6% sales tax.

Defender on
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    200.gif

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    where's johnny smash

Paladin on
  • Options
    Carl with a KCarl with a K Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you asshole i came here just to post that comic

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    fuck you im doing it anyway

200.gif

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey it is Karl

hi Karl

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    sup

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    where have you been, Karl

I have not seen you

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    doin stuff

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    cool stuff

Carl with a K on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    oh that is cool

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey it's one of those

"Hi I'm in the thread now so it's my thread now" line of posts

it turns into a boring phone conversation at the drop of a hat

ZeroFill on
This discussion has been closed.