As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• CyBeRDeMoN23CyBeRDeMoN23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    DebaserZbs wrote: »

...I miss my servers. On a related note, I've heard from the GiantBomb quicklook on MW2 that supposedly the upcoming id game Rage will also use a matchmaking system and cut dedicated servers out.

Aliens VS Predator as well. Looks like Dedicated servers may very well be on the way out altogether. Jezo might have been right after all. :lol:

EDIT: To answer your other question as to why people would use them in the first place, well, some people are just jerks. See also: Hosts screwing with the modem connection in Gears 2. RAGE!

Yeah, Carmack said he was waiting to see what happens with MW2. He also felt that dedicated servers are the past and p2p is the future. What I can't understand is how someone can think that limiting options with playlists is the future.

I'm a creature of habit and I pretty much hang around on HC Crash 24/7 servers, or 24/7 2Fort servers. I find what I like and I stick with it. With Halo 3 I always wanted to play big team multi flag ctf on Valhala, I never see that combo when I play Halo 3 multiplayer. This causes me to lose interest quicker.

CyBeRDeMoN23 on
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yes Ya'll, it does.

Leitner- They said in an interview it's weighted. I would assume it's possible but only has a 1 in 2 billion chance or something. The best I've gotten is the chopper gun and stealth bomber.

NeuralFizz on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

...I miss my servers. On a related note, I've heard from the GiantBomb quicklook on MW2 that supposedly the upcoming id game Rage will also use a matchmaking system and cut dedicated servers out.

Aliens VS Predator as well. Looks like Dedicated servers may very well be on the way out altogether. Jezo might have been right after all. :lol:

EDIT: To answer your other question as to why people would use them in the first place, well, some people are just jerks. See also: Hosts screwing with the modem connection in Gears 2. RAGE!

Yeah, Carmack said he was waiting to see what happens with MW2. He also felt that dedicated servers are the past and p2p is the future. What I can't understand is how someone can think that limiting options with playlists is the future.

I'm a creature of habit and I pretty much hang around on HC Crash 24/7 servers, or 24/7 2Fort servers. I find what I like and I stick with it. With Halo 3 I always wanted to play big team multi flag ctf on Valhala, I never see that combo when I play Halo 3 multiplayer. This causes me to lose interest quicker.

I was about to type something here, but I don't want to start off the server wars all over again.

I will just add that things like playlists and ranking don't exclude the possibility of servers, those are two separate issues.

subedii on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bombboy wrote: »
    Yall wrote: »
    Hate to re-post the same question, but a buddy and myself are at work, and are both dying to know:

Can someone confirm that MW2 allows private/friends-only multi-player matches?

Yes, it does.
    NeuralFizz wrote: »
    yes Ya'll, it does.

Danke. :mrgreen:

Yall on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Algertman wrote: »
    There was some update on hte PS3 version this morning. All it seems to do is not let me play the game online.

Online Multiplayer confirmed 360-exclusive D:

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • CyBeRDeMoN23CyBeRDeMoN23 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I was about to type something here, but I don't want to start off the server wars all over again.

I will just add that things like playlists and ranking don't exclude the possibility of servers, those are two separate issues.

I agree completely. I would like it better if they would let me browse the games in progress and filter on certain criteria(ie map, gametype) and join one. The for me would increase the experience of p2p ten fold for me.

CyBeRDeMoN23 on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm finding the PC version a pleasant experience. Even though I bought the boxed retail version, it installs on steam... no need for a CD in the drive, which is a plus, I guess.

I was worried about the engine upgrades and my PC, but I think it was worrying over nothing: I upgraded my monitor from a 19" to a 24" LCD about a month ago, and I had all but ruled out gaming at 1920x1080. The game detected that I should run at 1280x1024, at "max" settings (and 2x AA), but I bumped it up to 1680x1050 (old monitor resolution), and it didn't seem to suffer. So I said what the hell, and I cranked it up to the native resolution, but I turned off AA, and it seems to run just dandy. And I don't have much of a beast of a PC, by today's standards, anyhow: Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz, and a 9800GTX, 4GB of RAM, and Vista.

The only issue I had so far is when I tried to install it the first couple times, Steam kept telling me that it hadn't been released yet, and it wouldn't let me install it. I had to manually restart Steam and it took.

That, and I can't seem to find a key binding for "next" or "previous weapon" anywhere; would like to have that on my mouse wheel, but oh well.

My friend and I are going to try some Spec-Ops tonight at some point, and I made it as far as Rio last night before I had to take care of some things. But so far, so great.

DietarySupplement on
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Photon wrote: »
    Recoil42 wrote: »

Not unexpected ... does the pc version use punkbuster or something else?

VAC.

EDIT: Which is why this comment raised quite a few eyebrows when it was made:
    DudezTY: Since we cannot kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?

Mackey-IW: Our goal is to ban hackers from the game.

It's funny now, one of their goals with IWnet was to get rid of hackers, but they've only enabled hackers to go unmolested with the lack of admins, black-lists, and punk buster.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
    edited November 2009

VAC.

DudezTY: Since we cannot kick people in ranked matches, how will we stop hackers who get past VAC?

It's funny now, one of their goals with IWnet was to get rid of hackers, but they've only enabled hackers to go unmolested with the lack of admins, black-lists, and punk buster.

Well that depends. The game's only been out a day. If VAC / IWnet is fast on countering this and other hacks then it might not be an issue. Otherwise yeah, big problem.

subedii on
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh sweet jesus this thing is CHUGGING on my PC, i'm only about halfway through the Campaign mode and i've bluescreened and CTD'd about 5 times already. I've updated my gfx and sound drivers but to no avail. :(

For reference I'm running an NVIDIA 8800 GTX with 4gb of ram and windows xp and an AMD Athlon X2 6000+ but my god the game just....hates me....

Has anyone had any trouble with their PC installations running this bad? I'm also running into pretty bad framerate issues as well.

For reference I'm running it in 1680x1050 mode for my widescreen flatpanel (Viewsonic 23") with 2x anti-aliasing and all graphics settings maxed to "extra", should I notch em down a tich or try turning off Anti-Aliasing first?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Edit - And just to clarify, I pretty much ran these same settings on COD4 and never experienced framerate or CTDs this bad before, did they really upgrade the engine this much with the particle effects and whizbang whatsitcalleds that it's changed significantly? I'm not trying to sound ornery or anything, just trying to figure out the major difference in performance. O_o

Thegreatcow on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok so.. (story spoilers)
    Fuck that 'run to the sub' part on Vet. 1 min 30 and 10 billion dudes...sure no fucking problem. oh wait...2 shots and I die I forgot.

Gah.

Also while im at it, fuck the Gulag bathroom part. 3 rooms of pure hell.

Ok bitch over.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is it just me or is there no AA for the PS3 version? I noticed some serious jagginess
    looking at the satellite

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, I wish there was a perk to have a PIP view of your victim's killcam, like an instant replay. Or if you could hit a button to save your most recent kill replay for later viewing. I dropped down like a fucking ninja on this guy and knifed him in the back, and I wish I would watch it again.

And over and over again.

Also, Leitner and I just tried out the SpecOps AC-130 level and it's basically that exact level from campaign in CoD4, but with one dude on the ground making a run for it and the other providing support by way of firey sky death. It's awesome.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I've pretty much decided that the only way I can kill people in multi is RPD with Grip and Sleight of Hand Pro and Stopping Power. With this, I can usually stay near 1:1 K : D in TDM, but with anything else I end up at like 1:4. :(

a5ehren on
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuck
    grenade
    launchers

pyromaniac221 on
    psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    edited November 2009
    Fuck
    grenade
    launchers

Josh got me so many times with it earlier today by skimming it off window frames and shit. Another reason I wish the killer could watch the killcam - there's no way it was intentional, but there was once where it was literally an inch away from hitting the wall and being harmless, and it hit the window frame, bounced in to the opposite wall and got me. The only way you see that is by watching the grenade trajectory.

I kinda wish the killcam would do a similar thing, Fallout 3-style, on the final bullet that killed you.

Willeth on
  • ShrikeTheAvatarShrikeTheAvatar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aoi wrote: »

It takes two seconds to mute someone. Some of the game modes do seem to allow you to party chat. The modes that don't are the ones where dead players and living players can't talk so you can't give away positions and such. You may not like it, but within the context of certain game modes, it completely makes sense.

This is actually not true. I was just playing Hardcore TDM last night, and during the longer respawns you can talk to your living teammates no problem. Granted, you can't spectate the enemy, but you can say, 'he's coming around the corner' or whatever.

I think they implemented the no party rule to avoid having someone on the enemy team giving positions away to a player on the other team.

Still, it hardly seems worth it for that.

ShrikeTheAvatar on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    Fuck
    grenade
    launchers

Josh got me so many times with it earlier today by skimming it off window frames and shit. Another reason I wish the killer could watch the killcam - there's no way it was intentional, but there was once where it was literally an inch away from hitting the wall and being harmless, and it hit the window frame, bounced in to the opposite wall and got me. The only way you see that is by watching the grenade trajectory.

I kinda wish the killcam would do a similar thing, Fallout 3-style, on the final bullet that killed you.

In my defense it's just to get the XP bonus then it's off my killing stick.

joshgotro on
    edited November 2009
    Aoi wrote: »

It takes two seconds to mute someone. Some of the game modes do seem to allow you to party chat. The modes that don't are the ones where dead players and living players can't talk so you can't give away positions and such. You may not like it, but within the context of certain game modes, it completely makes sense.

This is actually not true. I was just playing Hardcore TDM last night, and during the longer respawns you can talk to your living teammates no problem. Granted, you can't spectate the enemy, but you can say, 'he's coming around the corner' or whatever.

I think they implemented the no party rule to avoid having someone on the enemy team giving positions away to a player on the other team.

Still, it hardly seems worth it for that.

I really like that they've done it. It's frustrating as hell in Halo when the party splits and you've got one guy on your team doing nothing but feeding them information. In CoD, where you've got an even more limited motion tracker and even less resistance to damage, it's even more irritating.

Josh: That's exactly why I've got such a hard on for throwing knives right now. All I need to do is find one guy who's facing the wrong way, shoot him a little and chuck a knife, and bam - XP bonus. I do think it's ridiculous how there are two bonuses for jumping off a building, though.

Willeth on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

VAC.

Well that depends. The game's only been out a day. If VAC / IWnet is fast on countering this and other hacks then it might not be an issue. Otherwise yeah, big problem.

So am I the only one who thinks this is absolutely hilarious

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, just finished SP, talk about crazy all the way through.

However I did have a question regarding the ending
    These spoilers are basically for the end of the game, so be warned
    Why did Shepard kill Roach and Ghost? Did I miss something? He obviously wasn't working with Makarov.

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Oh man, just finished SP, talk about crazy all the way through.

However I did have a question regarding the ending
    These spoilers are basically for the end of the game, so be warned
    Why did Shepard kill Roach and Ghost? Did I miss something? He obviously wasn't working with Makarov.
    He HIRED Makarov. That's the whole thing. Shepherd arranged it so the Russians would attack the US. He wanted to start a war to "avenge" the soldiers under his command who died during the nuke in MW1. And he is doing that by starting a war between the US and Russia.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am kinda hoping that hackers have a lot of success getting past VAC. It might force them to put dedicated server support back in.

Hoz on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It was fun playing with you guys last night. Getting a new headset today so I don't sound like I'm deep throating the mic.

:winky:

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

I agree. It seems like a crappy idea. Especially considering that you and your friends can technically just ute everybody else and get the same functionality.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am kinda hoping that hackers have a lot of success getting past VAC. It might force them to put dedicated server support back in.

That's never gonna happen and you know it's not

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited November 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »

Well I don't and neither do you, so...

Hoz on
  • FingerSlutFingerSlut __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Dear video games, I'm dumping you.

FingerSlut on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

imagine: you are infinity ward

do you continue with your semi-sucessful policy of leaving it up to anti-hacking programs that only affects a small part of your userbase who have already bought the game from you?

or do you backpedal wildly, apoligising all the way, and go to great expense to re-wire all online play that the lion's share of your customers will never use

Nuzak on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nuzak wrote: »

do you continue with your semi-sucessful policy of leaving it up to anti-hacking programs that only affects a small part of your userbase who have already bought the game from you?

or do you backpedal wildly, apoligising all the way, and go to great expense to re-wire all online play that the lion's share of your customers will never use

great expense?

dedicated servers exist already .... there is (well, would have been) no expense.

Xaquin on
    edited November 2009

Rewiring the online play?

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you? A dedicated server isn't a result of super engineering, it's a dedicated host. This is their top brand, yes they would want to go through the extra effort to salvage the multiplayer on the PC if they think it's called for.

Hoz on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Okay...FUCK whoever thought up the genius gamechat-only-or-you-get-kicked idea. It is now impossible for my friends and I to have any amount of communication without some jackass telling us exactly how "faggy" (?) we are, or some other jackass to talk about how stoned he is. Granted, we can mute them, but this never should have been implemented

But if you used party chat for team games you're a filthy cheater. The functionality was removed because of people like you. What? You're talking to people playing other games? Well you'll still use it to cheat.

Mechanical on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Look, I like wishful thinking as much as the next guy, but this game isn't going to get dedicated servers. The next Call of Duty might bring them back depending on how things go, but this one has its system in place and they're not going to do a massive retooling of it now.

sethsez on
  • Signum Ex SonitusSignum Ex Sonitus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Picked it up for the 360. Love the campaign so far, even though the levels feel too short. Enough for now, I need to sleep.

Signum Ex Sonitus on
  • NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Rewiring the online play?

You really don't know what you're talking about, do you? A dedicated server isn't a result of super engineering, it's a dedicated host. This is their top brand, yes they would want to go through the extra effort to salvage the multiplayer on the PC if they think it's called for.

oh a-bloo bloo bloo i got the technical details wrong

the point is they won't change it unless it is completely necessary

and by completely necessary, i mean "it affects infinity ward a shitload" which is going to be hard to do given that they have shown that they don't care too much about the PC as a platform

Nuzak on
    edited November 2009

So am I the only one who thinks this is absolutely hilarious

I guess it depends on whether you're on the receiving end of it or not.

Actually no, I still think those guys are jerks.

subedii on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just wish some of these guns came with more ammo out the gate in MP. The SCAR only has 40 bullets, really? I need to unlock a means to have a larger capacity and fast.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited November 2009
    oh a-bloo bloo bloo i got the technical details wrong

the point is they won't change it unless it is completely necessary

and by completely necessary, i mean "it affects infinity ward a shitload" which is going to be hard to do given that they have shown that they don't care too much about the PC as a platform
    Well, thanks for setting me straight with your condescending bullshitting.

Hoz on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I agree. It seems like a crappy idea. Especially considering that you and your friends can technically just ute everybody else and get the same functionality.

I dunno, I'm sort of in favor of it.

I got tired of jumping into various multiplayer games where comm is a huge part, only to realize half of everyone playing is in a private party. BF1943, I'm looking at you!

Yall on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just wish some of these guns came with more ammo out the gate in MP. The SCAR only has 40 bullets, really? I need to unlock a means to have a larger capacity and fast.

Short controlled burts my man.

Please note that I don't actually pratice what I preach. Which is why I lean towards whatever that gun is that makes you do three shot bursts.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif