As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Modern Warfare 2: No killstreaks, Vector only, Final Destination. (Steam Group in OP)

• SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Shaggy wrote: »
    I am right now. I didn't have this problem last night though.

ditto, was wondering if it was just me. back to Demon's Souls I guess.

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so, my MP impressions (pc version)

after some 20 games I see no diffrence betwen my standart 80 ping server and this, I have a 1MB connection and the game runs and plays without problems, I expirianced one host migration, but that was done in some 20-30s
    then again I am not very sensitive to lag

overall this is the most fun I had out of a CoD game in ages

Enosh20 on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm jumping on 360 for some SpecOps if anyone would like to join me.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had bad experiences with the Wireless G adapter, and only go wired. I have an N router, and Microsoft is releasing an N adapter. Despite the N router, I've never used anything that uses N. Will the N adapter make a difference?

Thank you for clearing up the story.
    The whole moral sounds like it's against the mentality of chicken hawks, veterans and pubbies that everyone who is not in the military is somehow not a citizen or unworthy of being American.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Just beat the campaign. Holy shit. That's how you do a conclusion.

Yeah, even better than the first game. One of the most exciting moments in gaming, period, really.

Urian on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Klyka wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just wish some of these guns came with more ammo out the gate in MP. The SCAR only has 40 bullets, really? I need to unlock a means to have a larger capacity and fast.

When I use SCAR, I run with Scavenger. Makes it bearable.

Scavenger doesn't unlock until level 15 or so.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited November 2009
    Urian wrote: »
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Just beat the campaign. Holy shit. That's how you do a conclusion.

Yeah, even better than the first game. One of the most exciting moments in gaming, period, really.

My sister was watching this. I never thought I'd hear her say this...
    What are you doing?

It's almost over, I have to pull out this knife and throw it at that guy.

Go go go go! Pull it! Kill that guy!

Also, I would like some manly mustache wax.

Cantido on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I just wish some of these guns came with more ammo out the gate in MP. The SCAR only has 40 bullets, really? I need to unlock a means to have a larger capacity and fast.

If you're not to level 15 after about two hours then something's wrong.

Sheep on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Shaggy wrote: »
    I am right now. I didn't have this problem last night though.

ditto, was wondering if it was just me. back to Demon's Souls I guess.

The last update seems to have broken multiplayer on the PS3 for fair number of people by the looks of it.

subedii on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm done with multiplayer. The kill streaks in this game are just stupid and incredibly game swaying. It's like whoever gets a decent kill streak going first is almost guaranteed to win if they actually put effort into winning (for taking HQ's and shit). Shit is fucked up when over half your kills is coming from kill streak bonuses and not like, shooting people.

aBlank on
  • BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    I am kinda hoping that hackers have a lot of success getting past VAC. It might force them to put dedicated server support back in.

1) Hackers will easily get past VAC

2) They won't put dedicated serves in, ever.

Regarding 1), it's really easy to inject code into a process and have it mask as one of the processes own. There are in fact, more than a few ways to do it, and most of them can't be detected by even Lord and Savior if you're doing it right. It is being done on Steam every day with all the other games, and it will be done with this one just the same.

2) - They didn't take the servers away because of hackers or piracy or any other company line. The main reason is because they want the PC people to buy their DLC maps and shit with which they are already making a KILLING on the consoles. There are more than a few million dollars there of PURE profit, as the maps most likely got most of the work done on them during the development process (cut out levels, etcetera, spit and polish, out of context, sell as DLC).

Other reasons include someone somewhere figured out that they would a) Save a lot of money on not optimizing the game for the PC but instead just port it over from the Xbox real easy-like (D3D is there for just that purpose), and b) they themselves want to track who is playing what and where at all times, so they know how to tailor that aforementioned DLC in order to get the most people to buy it.

Dedicated Servers are probably never coming back. It is a stupid idea to put them in, simply from a financial perspective. And that's the bottom line.

BlackDove on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I need to go find the all the intel now that I beat the game. They were better hidden then last time , only found 3 playing normally.

EspantaPajaro on
  • ArgonomicArgonomic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ps3 netplay is temporarily down due to unprecedented usage levels.

Argonomic on
    edited November 2009
    Argonomic wrote: »
    Ps3 netplay is temporarily down due to unprecedented usage levels.

Ah, remember the Christmas LIVE meltdown? I feel bad for Ps3 users. They just got Call of Duty'd. :D

Cantido on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Willeth wrote: »

Yeah, this was a problem for me last night. No silencer on my any of my handguns yet either so I was screwed once that SCAR ran out. :P

iTunesIsEvil on
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Do you guys recommend I pick this up? Is Multiplayer as good as all the official review sites are saying? Should I listen to them or the User Reviews? Xbox 360 or PC?

remlap13 on
  • FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Why is there a guy running around shooting people in close quarters with a Barrett? This is silly. Also that thing weighs like 30 pounds and would be difficult to swing around.

Fats on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Oh man, just finished SP, talk about crazy all the way through.

However I did have a question regarding the ending
    These spoilers are basically for the end of the game, so be warned
    Why did Shepard kill Roach and Ghost? Did I miss something? He obviously wasn't working with Makarov.
    He HIRED Makarov. That's the whole thing. Shepherd arranged it so the Russians would attack the US. He wanted to start a war to "avenge" the soldiers under his command who died during the nuke in MW1. And he is doing that by starting a war between the US and Russia.
    Ahhh, ok. I knew it had to do with the nuke, but wasn't quite sure how it all played out.

Slight correction there:
    He didn't do it for revenge, as he obviously doesn't give two shits about his men, evidenced by the final level when he brings the hammer down on them, not to mention murders them in order to achieve his goals.

What he did do it for is the fact that all of his men died, and nobody gave a fuck. So in order to wake people out of apathy, he orchestrated a world war in order to get everyone to be a "patriot" and "enlist" and be "proactive".

It gives his character some modicum of depth as that is a real problem that we, as a global society, face today.
    That's what I got too, although in my head he had more sinister "He wanted a World War so he could be Patton" bent to it.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fats wrote: »
    Why is there a guy running around shooting people in close quarters with a Barrett? This is silly. Also that thing weighs like 30 pounds and would be difficult to swing around.

Because shooting randomly at all directions in a sad attempt to kill someone in close combat with a sniper rifle makes you 'leet' or whatever the hell kids call it these days.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    remlap13 wrote: »
    Do you guys recommend I pick this up? Is Multiplayer as good as all the official review sites paid to say? Should I listen to them or the User Reviews? Xbox 360 or PC?

fix'd.

I'd get it for 360, since that's the console it was developed for.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cantido wrote: »
    I had bad experiences with the Wireless G adapter, and only go wired. I have an N router, and Microsoft is releasing an N adapter. Despite the N router, I've never used anything that uses N. Will the N adapter make a difference?

Thank you for clearing up the story.
    The whole moral sounds like it's against the mentality of chicken hawks, veterans and pubbies that everyone who is not in the military is somehow not a citizen or unworthy of being American.

Wireless is only ever for convenience, or when it's impossible to get a wired connection from your router/modem.

Why risk a dropped connection or degraded performance from outside wireless interference at all? Ethernet connection all the way.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    Do you guys recommend I pick this up? Is Multiplayer as good as all the official review sites paid to say? Should I listen to them or the User Reviews? Xbox 360 or PC?

fix'd.

So your saying that the review sites were paid to say its good, but that I should still get it?

remlap13 on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got it. Nearly done with the singleplayer. Hearing Kevin McKidd half the time, and Keith David the other half? Yesssss

Renzo on
    edited November 2009

fix'd.

So your saying that the review sites were paid to say its good, but that I should still get it?

It's not GAME OF THE YEAR 10/10 like they're hyping. It has it flaws but it's still fun as hell.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You know the publishers have bought media outlets when they praise a story that is written with this many plot holes.

SkyGheNe on
  • BloodMuffinBloodMuffin Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

fix'd.

Pretty much. Look at the game reviews 8 - 10 for the PC, scroll down a little and user reviews for are around 1-2.

Xbox 360 has better support, bigger matches, better everything.

BloodMuffin on
    edited November 2009

fix'd.

Pretty much. Look at the game reviews 8 - 10 for the PC, scroll down a little and user reviews for are around 1-2.

Xbox 360 has better support, bigger matches, better everything.

Ya I saw that but I figured maybe those users were just bitter about the lack of dedicated servers.

So you guys are saying the 360 version is more of an 8 or 8.5?

remlap13 on
  • SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looks like Modern Warfare 2 PC is already hacked, awesome.

Squabman on
    lagbagg.png
    edited November 2009
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    You know the publishers have bought media outlets when they praise a story that is written with this many plot holes.
    I'm not going to say that media outlets haven't been bought in this case.
    I'm not going to say that plots like swiss cheese are good.

But one can enjoy a story, a lot even, even though it's full of holes.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The story is about as intellectually engaging as a roller coaster. But it's also just as entertaining. Don't think about it, just go with it.

Renzo on
    edited November 2009
    So I finally get around to looking at Ops Orders.

Guys...It's fucking Timesplitters 2 Challenges. Without having to kill thousands of Hamburger Helpers. :D

Cantido on
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »
    The story is about as intellectually engaging as a roller coaster. But it's also just as entertaining. Don't think about it, just go with it.

What about the MP? Awesome as MW1?

remlap13 on
    edited November 2009
    Renzo wrote: »

What about the MP? Awesome as MW1?
    I've had just as much fun so far. Except since I don't know the maps all that well yet there's still the "oh god oh god where are they" feeling to it. Which is nice.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    More awesome. In MW1 i felt there were like 3-4 different ways I could play the game. In this one, literally every combo of attachments, perks and weapons feels like a different "class"

I just switched to the two attachment perk, tossed on the heart beat monitor and the thermal, threw on the scrambler perk and im pretty much scouting out the enemy movements and picking them apart. Throw in a few buddies to help command with my heart beat monitor and its a blast.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Something of note for the people that beat the game
    You can visit the museum in the credits via the mission select, and there's a bunch of weapons in the display case in the middle. Guess what's in the display case?

A useable M1911!

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know this was stated already... but... thread is moving so fast. But so yeah, I remember reading someone saying that TDM isn't the fastest way to level up in MP. Where's the good stuff at?

bejeavis on
    edited November 2009
    bejeavis wrote: »
    I know this was stated already... but... thread is moving so fast. But so yeah, I remember reading someone saying that TDM isn't the fastest way to level up in MP. Where's the good stuff at?
    Domination normally helps.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited November 2009
    Disrupter wrote: »
    More awesome. In MW1 i felt there were like 3-4 different ways I could play the game. In this one, literally every combo of attachments, perks and weapons feels like a different "class"

I just switched to the two attachment perk, tossed on the heart beat monitor and the thermal, threw on the scrambler perk and im pretty much scouting out the enemy movements and picking them apart. Throw in a few buddies to help command with my heart beat monitor and its a blast.

Awesome. I will be picking this up probably this afternoon then. It doesnt hurt when everyone I normally play NHL10 with are ALL playing this game. If ya can't beat em, join em.

remlap13 on
    edited November 2009
    You can visit the museum in the credits via the mission select, and there's a bunch of weapons in the display case in the middle. Guess what's in the display case?

A useable M1911!

haha awesome!

I do kind of wish there was a mile-high club mission, but I guess that's what the whole co-op thing is now?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • bombboybombboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

A useable M1911!

haha awesome!

I do kind of wish there was a mile-high club mission, but I guess that's what the whole co-op thing is now?

You sir, can go jump off a cliff while doused in the fires of the deepest bowels of hell. Mile-High Veteran can accompany you.

bombboy on
    XBL - BombBoyGT | PSN - BombBoyGT | Steam - BombBoy | BF4