As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a

13»

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Justin will just have to face wave after wave of enemies until he reaches his preset kill limit.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    I like to spout one liners related to the quest I'm doing while playing wow.

Then you are actually RP'ing. And didn't know it.

Unless you did.

in which case

doin it rite

Arch on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    See, that's my problem. I have a hard time accepting that the characters(aside from being mentally unstable) would appear to enjoy life in a land that tries to kill them at every turn.

It's about what's the norm for the world this is taking place in. If having monsters try to cut you is ubiquitous then to that's just another fact of life for the people inhabiting that place. We can look historically to the rate of death during various times throughout civilization. It was hard, but that doesn't mean people failed to find joy.

Besides, the ability to come back to life takes the edge off death.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Septus wrote: »
    Justin will just have to face wave after wave of enemies until he reaches his preset kill limit.

My Stats page shows that my kill limit must be an imaginary number.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    90% of "RP'd" characters grew up abused, mysterious past, parents are now dead, and the character has an ominous scar over their eye/cheek.

The more you know!

(I think they're seeking some in-game sympathy... like... "Oh man, I'm so sorry that your fake parents died... that must be so hard for you...")

Actually, my Troll Mage was abused by her first teacher who was promptly blacklisted, her parents are still together, alive, and healthy, and the scars on her back from her abusive teacher, which is covered by her robe anyway and never comes up!
    I like bringing up the parent thing though. Not only are they alive, they're active adventurers. My Shaman is my Mages father, for example.

I should post her backstory. It weaves in and out of Warcraft lore a bit (which I regret, but ah well. Cliches are cliche because they used to be good, after all), but I'm fairly proud of it.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like to name my characters with care and make them look like something that won't hurt my eyes

other than that, who cares

you could even say that I RP a dick, because I'm a dick.

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Good for you.
    But this is kind of like posting in the DK thread that you don't play a DK, but your Warrior is kind of a Knight who brings Death so that counts right?

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    90% of "RP'd" characters grew up abused, mysterious past, parents are now dead, and the character has an ominous scar over their eye/cheek.

The more you know!

(I think they're seeking some in-game sympathy... like... "Oh man, I'm so sorry that your fake parents died... that must be so hard for you...")

Something that often crops up in that percentage:

"No, see, I'm roleplaying a person that's a complete and utter shithead so you should be okay when I'm a total dickface to you.

Also, I am a cock in real life."

Paradiso on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I roleplayed a character that was a dickwad to people for the most part, once upon a time. Outside the friends I made then, I only managed to meet very few people willing to play along. Everyone else thought I was trolling. The irony is that I eventually did start showing up just to troll people who were RP'ing tropes. I'm a bad person. More at 11.

Henroid on
  • Options
    KazakaKazaka Asleep Counting SheepRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Paradiso wrote: »

The more you know!

Something that often crops up in that percentage:

"No, see, I'm roleplaying a person that's a complete and utter shithead so you should be okay when I'm a total dickface to you.

Also, I am a cock in real life."

This shit annoyed the hell out of me. It was like "is anyone really such a horse's ass?" Obviously not, and thus, not only are you a douche, you're also an uninteresting RPer.

Kazaka on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    champions online's official forums are so openly hostile towards RPers

that the very vocal anti-RP contingent used the term "RPists" to refer to them

which led to "RPist" being a banned term from the forums and calling someone an RPist gets you an infraction there

seriously

Pony on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's just stupid.

Edit: I tried to RP in WoW but I couldn't get into the world Blizzard presented.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Good for you.
    But this is kind of like posting in the DK thread that you don't play a DK, but your Warrior is kind of a Knight who brings Death so that counts right?
    Actually, no. This is sort of like posting "I do 10-mans" in the raiding thread.

Good try, though.

Senshi on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's just stupid.

Edit: I tried to RP in WoW but I couldn't get into the world Blizzard presented.
    \

Press your face against your monitor.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Good for you.
    Actually, no. This is sort of like posting "I do 10-mans" in the raiding thread.

Good try, though.

"You could say I RP a dick because I am a dick"?

"I RP a dude who rolls on items whose names are in purple because they are superior to his other one I am wearing" isn't really RP.

EDIT: I also like how this same topic on SA has about 60% less "I RP a guy who just plays the game".

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pony wrote: »

which led to "RPist" being a banned term from the forums and calling someone an RPist gets you an infraction there

seriously

While I admit that the RP community has its fair share of creeps (ok, far, far, far more than its fair share), vocal anti-RPers just strike me as sad. It just seems like some serious denial.
    That's just stupid.

I have open contempt for the Warcraft world, but I still find it easier to RP in than say, Lord of the Rings: Online, which is based off of some of my favourite fiction. Making a backstory and playing it out in that game seems like fanction. Whereas any idiot can write something better than Warcraft's background.

Those people with their cyborg elves and immortal vampire wizards? Not actually more retarded than official Blizzard characters. Who linked to that magical shaman messiah-orc in that chat thread a while back?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    From my experience, roleplayers tend to fall in one of two categories: The hardcore crowd, mostly found on UO freeshards, whose "RP is mightier than thine" and the softcore crowd found on WoW RP servers who have no real clue what roleplaying means but chose that server because they thought the community there would be better (It isn't.).

I've tried both forms and really can't stand either. Most hardcore RPers are arrogant, narcisstic egocentrics
    who bash everyone that doesn't live up to their standards of roleplaying (Which more often than not includes "playing rape scenes" o_O ). Softcore RPers simply aren't sensible enough to just play along and their roleplaying is often overridden by gameplay mechanics.

I don't really think "true" roleplaying is possible in an MMO.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Senshi wrote: »
    Good for you.

Good try, though.

"You could say I RP a dick because I am a dick"?

"I RP a dude who rolls on items whose names are in purple because they are superior to his other one I am wearing" isn't really RP.

EDIT: I also like how this same topic on SA has about 60% less "I RP a guy who just plays the game".

I answered the first question asked in the OP. I am technically contributing. Your bitch post, however, is not a meaningful contribution.

Here, I'll even take it a step further--I settle for letting my characters' names and looks befit their class, and I even pick professions that could make sense for a character of that class. The reason I don't go all-out thee-and-thou is because a) WoW is horribly suited for it and b) the Warcraft lore is already bad enough without my half-assed fan fiction.

I'm more prone to act the character in a singleplayer game, because then I don't have to deal with other people who're RPing.

Senshi on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it's been said already. Short of extensive use of imagination, MMO worlds leave something to be desired with regard to the depth one would expect to make a convincing story develop. Yeah you can RP some kind of fantasy character in WoW and the like, but everyone is on the same vague path (determined by mechanics, not story) travelling around the world and doing (the same) good deeds.

Characters are rarely unique in appearance due to a limited amount of (useful) loot available for each character type, which really kills interest in actually explaining why your character might look/dress a certain way, and thus developing a personality (CoX and Champions being notable exceptions). Though I don't actually RP in CO, I do put some thought into a simple theme and backstory for my characters when I am creating them, precisely because I can make them look unique. So really it's the difference between a character and just an avatar.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I refuse to roll on anything but RP or RP-PVP servers. I dont' RP, but I can't stand the names that are allowed on non-RP servers. Sure you get the rogues with like "Stabsxx" or deathknights with shit names like "Unholyguysface" but that is nothing compared to the shit you see in your first 20m on a regular server.

It actually bothers me, seeing the bullshit names people name their characters on those servers. I don't pretend that I can't be immersed in the gameworld, because that's not it. You're characters name is the first impression I get of you, and if it's a fucking retarded name, well guess what I think of you. Which means I'm not going to group with you. Therefore, on regular servers, I can not join groups, because everyone is stupid. Yes I know I'm judging a book by it's cover, and I'm sure there are some really good players with names like "Hordesux", but if I pick up a book, and it's title is "This book fucking sucks" I'm probably going to look for another book. And regular servers seem to have more of that book, than any other.

That's why I enjoy RP servers. Because blizzard actually attempts to somewhat enforce their naming policies on those servers. Where it seems on regular servers, anything goes. And when I see someone RPing I don't really care. Sometimes I play along, most times I don't.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    on rp servers you are also allowed to report the names. doesn't always mean anything but it's satisfying.

I also can't comprehend how someone could pour the necessary man hours into leveling a character with a fucking stupid name.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    GPIA7RGPIA7R Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

GPIA7R on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    On my server in AC we had a player named Shtstain.

It was a good three or four years before the admins caught on and did something about it, and of course the "community" rallied to his defense because OMG HE'S HAD THE NAME FOR SO LONG ITS NOT FAIR.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I pretty much always give my characters legitamate names.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

seriously

To their credit, RPist is sorta funny kinda sorta but not really.

I hate communities that bash RP'ers though. Typically, RP'ers have their own server or place to talk aside from everyone else in the game. I've met very few people who RP to strangers, which on the one hand is sorta commendable but on the other it invites a basher to open their mouth. Though, if a basher is on an RP server, they're in the wrong place.

I remember on one of the WoW RP servers the amount of people who RP actually outnumbered though who don't, and those who don't were heckled off the server. It was crazy bizarro land.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Which is the opposite of the CO forums, where you have Krunch(sp) rp'ing his horrible speech all over the forums. ((Also annoying is the use of ooc notifiers when using zone chat.)) It's zone chat, of course it's ooc.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ((What do you mean? I thought all public messages are IC and people were just playing characters who were talking about shit like football.))

GungHo on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

seriously

The small contingent of SA Goons and other online flotsam responsible for trolling the CO forums trying to goad roleplayers and furries into providing them with amusement have, predictably, either been banned or floated off to the next new MMO.

Since then, the CO forums have been a lot less hostile towards RPers and other folks normally targeted for harassment by folks desperate for attention.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »
    ((What do you mean? I thought all public messages are IC and people were just playing characters who were talking about shit like football.))

((Nah I'm just screaming as loud as I can so that people in Orgrimmar, Dalaran, Undercity, and even Stormwind if they're doing events/PVP can hear me))

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    GungHo wrote: »

((Nah I'm just screaming as loud as I can so that people in Orgrimmar, Dalaran, Undercity, and even Stormwind if they're doing events/PVP can hear me))

to be fair, NPC shouts have to be assumed to be zone-wide. So King Rockface mcChinpants shouting about deathknights can be heard all over stormwind and YOU CAN TOO(tm)

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I really REALLY love my death knight...here is GPIA7R's thing, blatantly stolen and altered for my death knight.
    Name - Meldrum Axelrot (formerly Meldrum Axlefizz)
    Age - Young (for a gnome)
    Race - Gnome (Leper gnome)
    Class - Deathknight, formerly tinker
    Size - Gnome
    Gender - Male
    Height - 3-feet
    Weight - 75 lbs
    Eyes - Unholy
    Hair - Brown
    Skin - Green
    Appearance - Average for a gnome, if you discount the green skin and glowing blue eyes, along with the slight necrosis...
    Diety - None
    Alignment - Chaotic good
    Profession - Alchemist
    Sub Skill - Medic, can cook a mean stew if given a bunsen burner...or flamethrower
    Affiliations - Gnomeregan
    Langauges - Gnomish, common, Gutterspeak
    Occupation - Alchemist, 'pest control'
    Personality - Sarcastic and slightly deranged as well as VERY impulsive, what with being undead.

Background - Meldrum came from a long line of Gnomish alchemists. His family held several patents, especially in the realm of theoretical 'solvents'. Meldrum was in the process of developing a new 'solvent' when Gnomeregan was attacked by troggs, and summarily flooded with radiation. Luckily, the chemical fumes that Meldrum was constantly surrounded by in his daily life had already partially addled his brain, so when the radiation sickness took hold, the only thing to suffer was his body. Initially content to stay in the poisoned city and develop new acids- er, 'solvents'- Meldrum Axelfizz became quickly fed up with the constant trogg attacks on his laboratory. He packed up his chemicals and decided it was time to head to Ironforge with the rest of the gnomes. Unfortunately, thanks to the 'reputation' the other (more crazed) leper gnomes had garnered, as well as the lingering cloud of poisonous radiation emanating from his body, Meldrum was denied entry. Furious at both his treatment and the other gnome's apparent lack of progress in neutralizing the radiation, he stormed determined to "Fix my own damn self!".
    His travels led him to the Undercity, where he learned much from Grand Apothecary Putress, until Putress decided that Meldrum would make a good 'test subject', and locked the gnome in a cage for 'further experiments'. Luckily, Meldrum always carried some 'solvent' around with him, and was able to melt the bars (read: whole cage) and escape. Fleeing the Undercity, Meldrum made his way to the plaguelands JUST as Acherus descended upon them. Set upon by a legion of scourge ghouls, Meldrum managed to stave them all off with his "Extra-Special Zombie Solvent". Impressed by the gnome's tenacity, the Lich King decided to 'recruit' him into service to assist Professor Putricide. Once Meldrum helped to concoct a new choking gas, the Lich King decided he had outlived his usefulness and ordered him to assist with the assault on Light's Hope, along with other newly risen Death Knights.
    Thankfully, Meldrum was able to break free of the Lich King's control. In addition, passing through death and back also seemed to have given Meldrum the ability to control and channel his leprous radiation through his mastery of the unholy energy that had reanimated him. This allowed a happy Meldrum to return to his people, although he decided to alter his surname to reflect recent changes in his lifestyle.
    Axelrot now seeks to give the Lich King his comeuppance, help cure the leper gnomes in Gnomeregan, and to retake his position as one of the prominent Alchemists of the Alliance.

Annnnnd a picture
    WoWScrnShot_110409_172526.jpg

Arch on