As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War II Online - Battleground Europe

chris66chris66 Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
Hey, any past or present players here?

chris66 on

• AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know that you're new around here and wwiiol is you're thing from the couple posts in eve recruitment, but common etiquette for ops is to post some more background about the game, some screenshots, and anything you find especially great about it.

Anyway, it is nice to see some talk about this game.

I played back at release (when it was so incredibly buggy they weren't making anybody pay subscriptions) and then again for a few months years later.

It's amazing how far this game came along and the dedication to realism the developers adhered to. Especially in regards to vehicle construction and damage models.

I was a big time airquake whore on axis. Gotta love the centerline cannon and mg's on the 109, or the sick amount of guns on an fw190. It was always so gratifying to execute a nice attack run on a spitfire and get a solid hit on the engine, then watch it crash to the ground in fire and smoke. Never mind the super spitfires and their seeming ability to never run out of E even during a steep climbing turn.

Did they ever fix the nigh invincible engines on that one allied bomber though? That always bugged me flying up from behind and unloading an entire magazine only to realize was hitting that one angle where you couldn't hurt them.

Oh, and how's their african theatre sequel coming along anyway? That's gotta be at least in some kind of play testing by now.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I saw you talking about this in your EVE thread.

Honestly, I thought WWII OL was dead. I remember when it came out, around the same time was a DAoC released, and it was a giant fucking mess. I just assumed it had died off, but apparently not.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • chris66chris66 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Avynte wrote: »
    I know that you're new around here and wwiiol is you're thing from the couple posts in eve recruitment, but common etiquette for ops is to post some more background about the game, some screenshots, and anything you find especially great about it.

Anyway, it is nice to see some talk about this game.

I played back at release (when it was so incredibly buggy they weren't making anybody pay subscriptions) and then again for a few months years later.

It's amazing how far this game came along and the dedication to realism the developers adhered to. Especially in regards to vehicle construction and damage models.

I was a big time airquake whore on axis. Gotta love the centerline cannon and mg's on the 109, or the sick amount of guns on an fw190. It was always so gratifying to execute a nice attack run on a spitfire and get a solid hit on the engine, then watch it crash to the ground in fire and smoke. Never mind the super spitfires and their seeming ability to never run out of E even during a steep climbing turn.

Did they ever fix the nigh invincible engines on that one allied bomber though? That always bugged me flying up from behind and unloading an entire magazine only to realize was hitting that one angle where you couldn't hurt them.

Oh, and how's their african theatre sequel coming along anyway? That's gotta be at least in some kind of play testing by now.

Sorry...I guess I should take the time and read up on the posting etiquette. I'm at work so its hard to post screenies.
    the game has come and extremely long way in the last year. You probably wont recognize it. 1.31 will have rag-doll effects when people get blown up. The air game, I find is a lot better than it was before. I'd encourage you, or anyone to go to their see the new video releases. There's new planes, tanks etc. as well. Not sure if you were around when paratroops were introduced.
    Here's a link: http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/about-the-game/screenshots-movies
    I think I'll be a subscriber for as long as I can as I enjoy both he game and the community. If you've ever been in playskool you'll no doubt know how entertaining it can be there.
    The African sequel...lol! I think that and the ordnance server are two things you won't see in a long time.
    Funny...I was looking at some guy's Eve ore calculator and one module he was still working on but hadn't finished; he had 'Soon™' on the page.

chris66 on
    edited November 2009
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I saw you talking about this in your EVE thread.

Honestly, I thought WWII OL was dead. I remember when it came out, around the same time was a DAoC released, and it was a giant fucking mess. I just assumed it had died off, but apparently not.

Nope, CRS are still hanging on. I went to a conference two years ago in Dallas and had a blast. Good bunch of guys.

chris66 on
    edited November 2009
    If I were you, I would go see what we mean by OP (original post), and write one :) Will go a long way to getting you involved in the community, and will generate better conversation about the game...hell, it may even get me to try it ;)

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I saw that. I do 99% of my posting here at work so its kinda hard to post screeenies.
    But, I will for sure next time follow this process.
    By the way, give it a try, you won't be sorry!

chris66 on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played this game at launch and while a buggy pile of poo, it was still great.

I still remember and will always remember an awesome incident:

I was driving a truck pulling my buddy who was running an 88. Yes, we played Axis mostly so there were always plenty of targets.

Anyways, I was pulling up to the battle, and we were going up a long steep hill, we were about third in a convoy of 15 or so, tanks, trucks, jeeps, etc.

We hit a lag spike and as it tended to do back then, it unhitched his 88 from the truck..and it started to slow..then stop briefly, then go back down the hill.

I was at the top of the hill by this point and turned my camera around, to see an 88 reaching ramming speed as every vehicle in the convoy behind him desperately tried to swerve out of the way, some of them flipping in the ditch, others that would have hit each other had friendly collision detection been on, oh it was great.

It took about 15 minutes to get everyone organized again and back on the road. He went a good ways too, I had to backtrack to pick his sorry butt up.

The other good time was hiding out on a roof in an allied city and picking off troopers for a good hour before someone finally saw me and had a Spitfire take me out :(

I never tried it past when they started requiring payment though.

Bigity on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I played for a few months a couple years ago. Good times but I could never truly figure out what the fuck was going on.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited November 2009
    My favourite thing is spawning a Bofors gun and taking out planes. I am pretty good at oblique shots And if there's anything more satisfying than taking out a French plane, I don't know what it is!
    The Tiger tank is a lot of fun to play as well, especially when you're camping an FB at long range.

chris66 on
    edited November 2009
    I miss the Char. Nothing like charging enemy positions at 13 mph! woot!

Bigity on
    edited November 2009
    chris66 wrote: »
    My favourite thing is spawning a Bofors gun and taking out planes. I am pretty good at oblique shots And if there's anything more satisfying than taking out a French plane, I don't know what it is!
    The Tiger tank is a lot of fun to play as well, especially when you're camping an FB at long range.

Wait...they actually let you play a Tiger tank? As in, the original kind of wimpy Tiger, or the King Tiger?

GnomeTank on
    edited November 2009
    Bigity wrote: »
    I miss the Char. Nothing like charging enemy positions at 13 mph! woot!

Ahahahaha! Hardly anyone spawns a Char anymore. Not when there's the Churchill, the Stuart and the Sherman.

chris66 on
    edited November 2009
    Sometimes you just have to do things for style.

Slow moving, burning death style, but style.

Bigity on
    edited November 2009
    The Tiger I
    Dude...check this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOZoqJQYaTA

chris66 on
    edited November 2009
    Heading home guys...going out for a few pints with the lads. If any of you are logged into Eve, give me a shout. (Pilotte, Dclker, Chewchilla) I should be on later.
    Nice meeting you all.
    Cheers!
    S!

chris66 on