As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sorcerer of Severed Heads

Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished BovineThe sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Artist's Corner
H9f4bVe.png
Golden Yak on

• Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    He looks like he's riding an imaginary horse. You know, like he's straddling something. It doesn't really have to be a horse, I guess.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    N.B.KN.B.K Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    hes just looking stiff. but the armor is pretty bad ass.

N.B.K on
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    The head seems too small for the body, but maybe that's what you were going for. Otherwise it looks awesome.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    TheBurritoManTheBurritoMan Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well, that's something.

Right off, it seems his head is off center, like it needs to be moved to the right. Also, the hands. If you look at your own hand, you'll notice:

1) Your joints dont line up in a row like that.
    2) You don't have that many joints in your fingers.

Also, it looks like his anatomy would be pretty wonky without the armor, but that doesn't really apply here.

TheBurritoMan on
    lawl0mo.gif
  • Options
    pazshadowpazshadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    One thing i find, when illustrating fantasy chars, is not to overwork the image. The problem with this piece is, while cool, its way to busy, to many things going one. Its got a wolf head, wings, massive armor, humanish body, a tail with what looks like plates... its just, from a design standpoint, this guy's to cluttered. besides the fact he would never get off the ground. I think realism does have a place in all illustration, and the sad thing is alot of young artists are cluttering up thier characters, to increase the "teh coolzors" factor.

Just a few thoughts :)

pazshadow on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2005
    I think it looks awesome. Some of the anatomy, can raise questions.. The finger comment made before. Too square, yes, but styalized also. Cartooning is mostly a break from realisim. Also, this creature is not real. It is not a set race with set physical sttributes. It can, concievably, need all that big honkin armor, because its body is messed up and weird and vulnerable and stuff. The armor could have a spell on it to make it lighter to wear.

You dont know the story behind it, so you really cant knock things like that.

Everyone has a different style. You obviously have some talent. If you can make stuff look good, while defying the rules based around anatomy and stuff when it comes to drawing, more power to you.

I think it looks good.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    You definately need some more contrast. Make the shadows darker, and the highlights brighter. Doing that will help define the shapes alot. And for gods sake, grow a god dman mustache.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    SeraphLena wrote:
    I think it looks awesome. Some of the anatomy, can raise questions.. The finger comment made before. Too square, yes, but styalized also. Cartooning is mostly a break from realisim. Also, this creature is not real. It is not a set race with set physical sttributes. It can, concievably, need all that big honkin armor, because its body is messed up and weird and vulnerable and stuff. The armor could have a spell on it to make it lighter to wear.

Everyone has a different style. You obviously have some talent. If you can make stuff look good, while defying the rules based around anatomy and stuff when it comes to drawing, more power to you.

I think it looks good.

I lol'd.

TheBurritoMan on
    lawl0mo.gif
  • Options
    pazshadowpazshadow Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    SeraphLena wrote:
    all that stuff.

oh cummon, are you serious? Concievably need all that stuff? no, concievably you're a git.

pazshadow on
  • Options
    ArisaArisa Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    pazshadow wrote:
    concievably you're a git.

*snicker* I couldn't have said it better.

But, to avoid random spam... There is a lot wrong here. It really doesn't look like you bothered to think out the structure of this fellow's anatomy at all. The head may just look small because of the massive shoulder armour, but, really... I'd love to see a skeletal overlay on this, to see what you were building up from in the first place.

Arisa on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    looks like the monster has no head so he put the head of a wolf where the head should be. What I mean it it doesn't look like the head is attached to the body. Also get rid of the red glow thing it doesn't look good.

Edit: Also I don't like the wings and the pose is bad. You have some talent or skill but you also have a lot that could be improved.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    freeman till im caughtfreeman till im caught Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    SeraphLena wrote:

I think it looks good.

I have to disagree in this regard. I'm all forfantasical creatures with unqiue body shapes ect yet this one is clearly based on the humanoid form, it is only normal for us as artist to then see issues with anotomy. The creature is very mcuh a human with an animal head. Anotomy is important even in non-realistic drawings, the more believeable a fantasy character is the far more interesting it usually is. Its about finidng a balance between reality and fantasy that captures the audiences attention.

this drawing shows promise form the artist so good work. however I agree with the staement that it is too crowded and has some issues. I find the background annoying aswell, especially the glow which just looks chessy. otherwise good work

freeman till im caught on
    Let's Digress now Kings Put your Cans up, Paint the city scope with the Prettiest type of Cancer
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Seraphlena: I add my disgust to your style post. Style is like the Oscar of art... you're not entitled to it unless you've mastered the basics and are good. So pull the style card again and I'm gonna have to whap you one.

Golden Yak: Besides the anatomical issues which have already been brought up, the image is entirely too dark, making it blurry and unprofessional. You may have been going for that dark, mysterious look but instead managed an "I'm unsure of myself and my skills so I will shroud him in mystery" look.

also, the "Fear" on the side just straight up has to go.

beavotron on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I've said it once and I'll say it again... I hate outer glow.

I don't hate the concept of outer glow, persay, God knows it's gotten me out of some messes. It's just that when ppl use it to shilouet a character in a piece with colors like this one it tells me "You need to work with contrasting colors better"

If you've used dark colors on the character dont place it on a black background, that will only lead to tacky use of outerglow...

I also totally agree with Beavotron, the "Fear" has to go.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Well, that's something.

Right off, it seems his head is off center, like it needs to be moved to the right. Also, the hands. If you look at your own hand, you'll notice:

1) Your joints dont line up in a row like that.
    2) You don't have that many joints in your fingers.

Also, it looks like his anatomy would be pretty wonky without the armor, but that doesn't really apply here.

Sorry I missed the part where this wasn't a fantasy wolf warrior, but a realistic anatomical drawing of a human.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I can't possibly yet draw as good as you are but imo i think the midsection cant possibly hold up the upper body without him snapping in half. Unless he's flapping his wings constantly, but than as soon as he leaves the ground his bottom half will fall off. I guess you would say the V shape is too exagerated.

Also i don't know if this is a useful crit or not, but his hand seems to be tightened as in ready to attack. Scary Claw like bend, tightened muscles etc. But the arms leading to the hand are positioned with no purpose.

Like if i'm going to karate chop someone. And i straighten my hand into the karate chop position, and tighten it up in preperation of my "Hiyah!", i'm not going to keep my arms at my side. Sorry i think I suck at explaining things.
    Sorry I missed the part where this wasn't a fantasy wolf warrior, but a realistic anatomical drawing of a human.

I think what they mean by their critisicms, is while the creature is fantastical, certain concepts should adhere within. That way a fantasy creature has a stronger foot hold in reality. Its easier to believe their is a wolf man with wings that imbues fear, if that creatures body holds true to basic concepts of anatomy. We think, things are the way they are because thats what helps them get by. So we put large wings on dragons because we think little baby wings won't lift that weight, etc.

Kinda like saying "The devil was never so real until he was given the shape of man."

bebarce on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I can get behind the sentiment here. And so he shall remain nameless and background-less.

fear5.jpg

If anything else wrong pops out now with the background gone, let me know.

I'll see if I can do some sketches of him without the armor. I suppose I should've done one before, but he's not terribly different from a human-build, just a bit more exaggerated and cartoony.

I totally see what everyone means by the pose. I shall endeavor to not make that mistake again,
    SeraphLena wrote:
    I think it looks good, et al.

Thank you very much, but you do not need to defend my work. I do want my creatures to be believable as well as fantastic, and anything wonky in the drawing is something that I screwed up on, not a quirk of the species. I want people to be able to look at something I've done and think 'Wow, cool!', and not think that some part of it looks fucked up and weird and try to explain it away as being part of the creature's anatomy.

While I'm not hugely concerned with hyper-realistic anatomy, I still think everyone's made valid comments, so I'll be keeping everything in mind for future characters.
    Edit: Also I don't like the wings and the pose is bad. You have some talent or skill but you also have a lot that could be improved.

Anything in particular about the wings? Too dark, bad shading, too feathery, not feathery enough? I want to keep them in some form or another. Him being capable of flight has more to do with his inherent sorcery rather than him being genuinely aerodynamic.
    bebarce wrote:
    Also i don't know if this is a useful crit or not, but his hand seems to be tightened as in ready to attack. Scary Claw like bend, tightened muscles etc. But the arms leading to the hand are positioned with no purpose.

He's supposed to be standing there tensing his claws, not ready to pounce, but I see what you mean. If he were human, he'd be watching something he didn't like and making a fist, but not really ready to jump into anything. I'll keep in mind the rest of your post, of course.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the comments, they're all great and really helpful.

I think I love this forum.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I think the problem with the wings is that we seem to be looking at them straight on, while the rest of your warrior is at an angle in relation to the viewer. It makes it look like the wings aren't really attached to the warrior but where tossed on as an after thought.

see317 on
  • Options
    TimTheSlothTimTheSloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    The problem with the wings is they aren't detailed and (maybe because of this?) they seem to be anatomically incorrect... What i mean is wings like that will be folded into to main parts when in that pose and I don't see the parts, I cant imagine him extending the wings. Use a reference if you haven't already. Also the other guy is right the wolf guy's body isnt pointed straight at us but the wings are.

I like your coloring style but you need to add some contrast. Start off by coloring on a grey background instead of white, it will help you see the darks and lights better.

TimTheSloth on
    redtidesig1.jpg
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited August 2005
    In addition to the colouring needing more contrast, you need a good definite lightsource. As is now, the colouring has a very embossed feel and isn't adding anything to the lineart.

The Q&D thread with all those nice links is AWOL, so here's some relevant posts from other threads:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3868921#3868921

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=189121&start=849

bombardier on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Thanks for the links Bombadier. I'll be sure to go through them when I'm working on my next colored piece.

And while I'm warming up for that:

fear_nekkid.gif

Here's Fear without his armor on. This was a pretty quick sketch, but it gives a vague idea of how he's built without all the armor on. I know he probably shouldn't be able to move under all that stuff, even given the fact that he's pretty built, but like I said I wasn't going for -complete- realism.

I'm not totally sure what's going on here, really, but I've got a vague idea. He's not a natural creature (obviously) buy rather was created. I've been getting interested in Warcraft lately, so either demons or black dragons are involved somehow. The lower torso is draconic, while the upper half is were-wolf. I like were-wolves. Sue me.

Next...

turnip.gif

An angry little man named Turnip. Started out as an evil hobbit, but I forgot to give him bare feet, so maybe it'll turn out that he's an evil gnome, or something. Depends on which WoW race I decide I like most. I was going to color him, but I figured I may as well get some crits and comments on the lineart first, in case there's anything wrong with the anatomy.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    (Why did you just repost your images? O_o)

Am I the only person that has noticed that the perspective on crazy angry hobbit guy is completely fucked?

I took the liberty of busting out MS Paint to correct the perspective. The red is bad, the crappily compressed blue is correct.

Basically you have everything except his shoes going toward a horizon that is slightly above his head, or around there, and the shoes are completely ignoring it--and have a weird horizon of their own.

Check it out:

angryhobbitdudecorrections.jpg

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Uh... If I were you, I'd draw the wolf"man"'s crotch area differently, because as it is, it looks a lot like a vagina.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    Maybe it is a vagina...

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    It's a very big vagina.
    a giant vagina attacking his peener :(

beavotron on
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    yeah well fear can be a bitch some times

bebarce on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    beavotron wrote:
    It's a very big vagina.

I only get that kind of treatment on my birthday.

TheBurritoMan on
    lawl0mo.gif
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited August 2005
    I thought it was spelled Homunculus, as in Roger the Homunculus.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    MaximasXXZ wrote:
    (Why did you just repost your images? O_o)

The people at the places where I usually post art always add new art to the first post of their topic in addition to adding it in a new post. It kinda turns their first post into an art index so any newcomers can see everything first off. If it's not widely done here, then I won't do it in future.
    MaximasXXZ wrote:

Am I the only person that has noticed that the perspective on crazy angry hobbit guy is completely fucked?

I took the liberty of busting out MS Paint to correct the perspective. The red is bad, the crappily compressed blue is correct.

Basically you have everything except his shoes going toward a horizon that is slightly above his head, or around there, and the shoes are completely ignoring it--and have a weird horizon of their own.

Check it out:

angryhobbitdudecorrections.jpg

Awesome! Thanks for the perspective corrections. It'll be easy to fix with this.

And I think I'll make it an evil gnome guy... I don't really wanna draw hairy hobbit feet.
    Everyone wrote:
    vagina, vagina, vagina

Well, I knew when I drew this guy with no pants that people would no doubt be drawn to comment on his groin. In hindsight, a simple loincloth might have averted this tragedy. I shall know better next time.

Apparently my attempts to make ninja-turtle-esque reptilian crotch armor plating failed. I was using this pic for lizardman reference:

http://cglenn.com/images/3d/Lizardman_b.jpg
    Spectre-x wrote:
    I thought it was spelled Homunculus, as in Roger the Homunculus.

Hell, I don't know. It might be. I can't be bothered to look something like that up. I only have the vaguest of ideas what I'm doing when I'm throwing together a creature's back-story. Generally I fall back on 'a wizard did it.'

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    zootsozootso Registered User regular
    edited August 2005
    beautiful stuff...you don't get to see many pics of angry, pissed and mean looking hobbits. <*_*>

zootso on
  • Options
    Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited August 2005
    Hell, that's no Hobbit, that's a Lemming! . . . on crack! :wink:

Castle_Builder on
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    Whew... that World of Warcraft really sucks you in, doesn't it?

Still, I managed to tear myself away from watching my abilities cooldown long enough to rework my angry short man a tad. Hopefully the angle on the boots is better. Behold:

turnip2.gif

I suspect I may have gone overboard on the hair. Nevertheless, I love him. Colors will follow shortly. Just as soon as I kill 7 more Rothide Gnolls...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited September 2005
    Short and sweet. Well, short, anyway. Colored gnome:

turnip.jpg

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited September 2005
    beavotron wrote:
    It's a very big vagina.

That's no poon, that's a space station! :shock:

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    What with all the recent Halloween happenings going on, I got inspired to draw up some new stuff.

Now, some of my previous drawings have given rise to comments about certain regions resembling sex organs. Well, the jokes on you this time around, as the genitals of all of these characters are either in an advanced state of decay or absent altogether. Ha!

Enjoy:

Bone archer. Smacks of WoW, because I'm obsessed lately. Thinking of submitting it to Blizzard's Fanart section once I've got it colored.
    bonearcher.gif

Mega Zombie. Take 25 corpses, bind them around a mystic nucleus, and you've got a member of the undead who never has to make more than 1 trip to the car to carry in all the groceries.
    megazombie.gif

Maim Gorrvinius. Started out as another throw-away armored skeleton warrior, but I've sinced named him and given him a backstory. He has a brother, whom I think I'll draw next.
    bonelord.gif

Maim's weapon. Originally the giant sword of a mighty demon that was shattered during some ancient conflict. The crosspiece is large enough to act as an axeblade, and the horned skull guard is big and heavy enough to act as a mace head. His brother will carry the other piece of the blade, although I'm currently at a loss as to how he'll wield the damned thing.
    maimmace.gif

That's it, it's over. That wasn't so bad, now was it?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    The left foot of the mega zombie is pretty messed up. Other than that, i really like your linework.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    Is that his left or my left?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited November 2005
    His.

Sublimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2005
    A smattering of Warcraft related sketches, inspired by the initially tantilizing but rapidly squashed rumours that the new Alliance race would be the Pandaren. It may not happen, but one can dream... and draw...

Pandaren Warrior concept.
    pandaren_yojimbo.gif

Pandaren Rogue concept.
    pandaren_rhonin.gif

A very rough pencil sketch of a Tauren. Not terribly pleased with it, but it's the best incarnation thus far. Still workin' on it...
    printerissues.jpg

And some undead left-over from the last set of sketches:

The concept for an Egyptian deadite. I ran out of room for his legs. Then I thought, hell he'd probably be even creepier if he was just hovering around without any legs.
    defiledinfidel.gif

Decided to try doing some serious shading on my skeletal lord Maim. This is the beginning of that little attempt...
    bonelord2.gif

...and this is what I ended with. I'm trying some Photoshop filters to take away the grainy-ness. Still, I'm pretty happy with it. Turned out a lot better than I'd expected, considering how little practice doing pencil shading I've had.
    bonelord3.gif

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Megamau_XMegamau_X Registered User regular
    edited December 2005
    these last one are freakin sweet. especially that giant tuaren guy, he is frickin cool.

these are begging, BEGGING to be colored though. such sweet lines should never stay as such, they need to evolve into the psycho coolness they can be.

awesome, freakin awesome.

Megamau_X on
    banditsig.gif