As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAA Episode 3

• TeburninatorTeburninator Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    xbskid wrote: »
    uglyhat wrote: »
    Ooooor later.

We're going by Valve time.

Or Blizzard. It will be ready when it's ready type of thing. Hopefully it'll eventually be out, like most of Blizzard's games.:lol:

Teburninator on
  • xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Or Blizzard. It will be ready when it's ready type of thing. Hopefully it'll eventually be out, like most of Blizzard's games.:lol:

If anything, I would hope they'd put an extra six months in so they can get episodes 3 and 4 done and out the door at the same time.

xbskid on
  • d0gmad0gma Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Well, lots of different things it could mean, but worth noting that the upcoming demo for OTRSPOD 3 that had been listed on Hothead's site for months (as very soon, with episode 4 listed as being available "a bit after soon") is no longer listed: http://www.hotheadgames.com/pademos.php

So while if we want to cling to any hope we could maybe argue this means that they're paying attention to it again and changing the episodic structure or something, but it seems more likely to be another pointer in the direction that PA may not be finishing eps 3+4 (or not with Hothead, but it's hard for me to imagine them doing it with a different company).

d0gma on
    edited November 2009
    d0gma wrote: »
    Well, lots of different things it could mean, but worth noting that the upcoming demo for OTRSPOD 3 that had been listed on Hothead's site for months (as very soon, with episode 4 listed as being available "a bit after soon") is no longer listed: http://www.hotheadgames.com/pademos.php

So while if we want to cling to any hope we could maybe argue this means that they're paying attention to it again and changing the episodic structure or something, but it seems more likely to be another pointer in the direction that PA may not be finishing eps 3+4 (or not with Hothead, but it's hard for me to imagine them doing it with a different company).

I don't think it means they are not finishing the episodes. More of a strategic push back of the release date as there are about 4 billion games on the market or about to be released to the market at this moment in time. Of course, that's just my hypothesis. Also with the release of modern warfare 2 I think the count is about 4 billion and one now. I'm pretty sure my number is accurate.

Teburninator on
  • d0gmad0gma Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I don't think it means they are not finishing the episodes. More of a strategic push back of the release date as there are about 4 billion games on the market or about to be released to the market at this moment in time. Of course, that's just my hypothesis. Also with the release of modern warfare 2 I think the count is about 4 billion and one now. I'm pretty sure my number is accurate.

Obviously if they're concerned about competition that'd make sense, but this was an unannounced change to remove a reference to a demo that was "coming soon!" that had been up for months and months. In the absence of any hope-affirming information that doesn't look good. Also, looking at the Game Info section I believe there also used to be some language about "additional episodes being released about every 4 months" which is gone, now. (Wayback Machine only had a copy from Jun 2008, which did have it, but nothing since ep 2 was released)

Again, this is all circumstantial, but looking at the OTRSPOD section of Hothead's site there's no longer ANY mention of Episode 3 or 4. . . :/

d0gma on
  • LordSintaxLordSintax Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that.... kinda sucks. I really liked these games. I sincerely hope that the 4-episode arc at least gets finished somehow.

LordSintax on
    ubd6013.png
    ubd8803mk8.png
    5438.png
  • BonemerangBonemerang Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Very sad news indeed. I really liked these games and have been looking forward to part 3.

Bonemerang on
  • cityfanchriscityfanchris Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    well it's easier to guess what will happen with PAA on the standard market. i mean take any game company, EA, Activision, even Naughty Dog, and compare their 'official fanbase' to that of Penny Arcades, put simply, should episode 3 ever come out, it will rocket to the top because it's fan base is so very much larger than the other companies. Therefore (so long as your not in charge of, oh i don't know, a game featuring a character called Gorden Freeman...) the supply and demand would indicate Episodes 3 + 4 will eventually come out, purely on the basis that everyone thinks it will rock, that Penny Arcade rocks, and that, in comparison, everything that is not Penny Arcade has the new meaning of 'Always second place'. Right, that rants out the way, where's the pub...

cityfanchris on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think you're vastly over-egging the audience for the game.

I will admit that I bought three copies of the first one, but still.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • cityfanchriscityfanchris Registered User new member
    edited December 2009
    Willeth wrote: »
    I think you're vastly over-egging the audience for the game.

I will admit that I bought three copies of the first one, but still.

Right, um, your arguing but proving my point...my head hurts...well, it's not over-egging them, i'm just saying these threads don't sprout from thin air, many, many, many, many, many...x100 gamers enjoy Penny Arcade on t'internet, so follows standards that a game should do better than other companies, whose websites are filled with people purely complaining their headsets are filled every 30 seconds by an american singing 'Boom Boom Boom' by the black eyed peas...it's true, look it up...

cityfanchris on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    I think you also have to consider the fan base of people who are PA people that play RPGs could be limited.

For example, a good majority of people either play exclusively shooters/platformers/sports games.

So that narrows the audience. Meanwhile EA and Co release these games with A) Huge marketing Campaigns B) A+ Presentation and gameplay, C) towards masses that may not even be connected to the internet, let alone here about PA.

I'm betting Penny Arcade Adventures sells in the mid-thousands, not millions, or even tens of thousands like smaller releases like say Harvest moon, or other episodic titles such as Sam and Max.

ANTVGM64 on
  • ChokeholdChokehold Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I think you also have to consider the fan base of people who are PA people that play RPGs could be limited.

For example, a good majority of people either play exclusively shooters/platformers/sports games.

So that narrows the audience. Meanwhile EA and Co release these games with A) Huge marketing Campaigns B) A+ Presentation and gameplay, C) towards masses that may not even be connected to the internet, let alone here about PA.

I'm betting Penny Arcade Adventures sells in the mid-thousands, not millions, or even tens of thousands like smaller releases like say Harvest moon, or other episodic titles such as Sam and Max.

One should also consider readers/fans who are too young and can't afford and/or don't have the means to pay for this. Not everyone has a piece of plastic they can hook up to Paypal, for example.

In essense, many people who might want, but can't, get a hold of a copy of their own.

Chokehold on
  • evshell18evshell18 Registered User new member
    edited January 2010
    Thanks Mike and Gabe

You just referenced the same person with both his real name and handle -- Mike == Gabe, Jerry == Tycho

That being said, I agree. I am disappointed as well, but appreciate their honesty. I'd rather the comic survive and the game die than the other way around. I do hope they will follow up with their promise to wrap up the story in whatever method, be it a graphic novel or animated show. I also hope it is free as a courtesy to those of us who supported them by buying the games.

evshell18 on
  • The DIMDThe DIMD Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    evshell18 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike and Gabe

You just referenced the same person with both his real name and handle -- Mike == Gabe, Jerry == Tycho

That being said, I agree. I am disappointed as well, but appreciate their honesty. I'd rather the comic survive and the game die than the other way around. I do hope they will follow up with their promise to wrap up the story in whatever method, be it a graphic novel or animated show. I also hope it is free as a courtesy to those of us who supported them by buying the games.

Where did they state that the game was no longer being released?

The DIMD on
    <+ACC3SS> 4chan doesn't make me cringe as much as you do, The_DIMD.
    edited January 2010
    The DIMD wrote: »
    evshell18 wrote: »
    Thanks Mike and Gabe

Where did they state that the game was no longer being released?

Don't spread these rumors! Unless you have facts behind your claims.

Teburninator on
  • LordSintaxLordSintax Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    In the words of Psy-Crow (of EWJ fame)....
    "Maximum Suckage"

LordSintax on
    ubd6013.png
    ubd8803mk8.png
    5438.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I don't know.

There hasn't been any communication in what, a year? They obviously missed their 'every four month' deadline. There was no mention of the game at any of the big conferences this year, including their own expo. There have been no updates from the developer and now the game isn't even listed as in development, or any mention for that fact, on their own webpage.

Other than the sporadic mentions from Mike, Jerry, and Khoo that everything will 'make sense' - we've got zero to go on.

I'm in the camp that the game is dead, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if it shows up somewhere. Bought each of the first two episodes and I'd like to see how the game ends.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    edited January 2010
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Other than the sporadic mentions from Mike, Jerry, and Khoo that everything will 'make sense' - we've got zero to go on.

Based on vague comments from the Hothead website, as well as the media they've been releasing for their upcoming projects over the past few months, the most likely scenarios are:

1) The game is on hiatus pending completion of Hothead's new game, DeathSpank.
    2) The game has been transferred to another developer, since Hothead has opted to pursue DeathSpank after their disappointment with the sales of the first two PAA games.
    3) The game is dead.

Personally I think the first option is most likely, but only time will tell.

Nijhazer on
  • chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited January 2010
    I just had a look at the date of the first post in this thread...

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah so have we learned anything in the OVER A YEAR'S TIME since this thread was first posted asking what was up with the game?

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2010
    Htown wrote: »
    Yeah so have we learned anything in the OVER A YEAR'S TIME since this thread was first posted asking what was up with the game?

Happy Anniversary...? D::cry: One day, one day I know the clouds, will go away.

Teburninator on
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    The game sold poorly? That's a shame, I enjoyed the hell out of the game, both of them. I thought the 2nd was better then the first and was looking forward to the third being better then the 2nd.

:'(

DrunkMc on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Ya I was really looking forward to an Ep3 as well. but now that looks to never be. I know there has been many informal announcements about it being canceled but it would be nice if Mike and Jerry would make a formal announcement about it.

Artoria on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Yeah, it sold poorly. They had very weak DRM on it, unfortunatly, and for a few days it was THE most popular thing on the various nefarious sites. Which is a shame. I actually paid money for it, myself, once I saw that.

GIVE US NEWS YOU BASTERDS

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • PhanmanPhanman Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Phanman on
    Wii Code: 6596 9931 4190 2980
    edited February 2010
    Phanman wrote: »

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I was having an awesome day (felt I aced an exam) and then a crap one (found out i didn't do as well as I thought on another) and now back to awesome because of this news! Thanks again!:mrgreen:

Teburninator on
  • toriantorian Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ahem... WOOT!

torian on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Huh. That would be super cool.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Not gonna believe it till it actually happens.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2010

FYI, Gabe confirmed this at the book signing last night.

ASimPerson on
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    ASimPerson wrote: »

FYI, Gabe confirmed this at the book signing last night.

And yet Tycho said that when they had news they would post it on the main page. Seems really silly to not say that they will make the announcement on the front page.

I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying it is odd that they haven't posted anything.

Mace1370 on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Well that wasn't the News.

That was news about the News.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • havsangelhavsangel Registered User new member
    edited February 2010
    I just finished playing through Ep 1 & 2 again, desperately longing and waiting for Ep 3. I won't really believe anything until they release the info officially on the main page though. Don't want to get my hopes up too much yet.

havsangel on
  • StantzStantz Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man, I totally forgot about this game, the second one must have came out two years ago.

Anyone know where I can download a saved game from episode 1 and 2? I guess i deleted my save when I ditched my old computer.

Also I don't think concepts like good or evil would apply to either mimes ,robots or birds, since they do not have souls.

Stantz on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    Oh man.

I'm going to be there.

It would be awesome if they announced something about it there.

3cl1ps3 on
    edited March 2010
    Man, writing an essay is so much less fun than Penny Arcade Adventures On The Rainslick, Precipice of Darkness: Episode 3. AND IT ISN'T EVEN OUT YET.

Teburninator on
  • DimitryZDimitryZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    In any case, I had better be able to collect hundreds of rare birds and buy different shoes for them online in EP3.

DimitryZ on
    Wishlist for EP3:
    1. The Merch
    2. Claw-shrimps
    [more]
  • JulianvonRoseJulianvonRose Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    It's about bloody time, I've been awaiting this with bated breath for years it seems.

JulianvonRose on
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/26/penny-arcade-adventures-discontinued-there-wont-be-an-episode/

So the series is dead, then? That really kills my night, I've been eagerly anticipating episode 3 ever since I finished the 1st & 2nd (what feels like ages ago). If Deathspank is the reason PA3 got canned though, it kind of makes me wonder why they couldn't just wait out its release, especially given how Deathspank isn't supposed to be episodic anymore. http://grumpygamer.com/8920865

Unless that's not how the industry works, and Hothead wants to continue moving on with "bigger, better" games? Either way, I am now sad.

TheCaptain on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well looks like the Hothead is in hot water now

Gilbert departs Hothead

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6257071.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop%3Btitle%3B6

I have my opinion on this. But rather than come off being rude I'll just say that they looked to be pretty screwed.

Artoria on