As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Recruit] Exalted: Infernals

• ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rainfall wrote: »
    Yeah, if any book short of the core is heavy, it's Infernals.

Just because it takes every single thing about charm concepts you've known and used to base your understanding off of and throws it out the window.

Then it throws you out the window.
    Yeah, it's pretty fucking crazy.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2009
    Also, did anyone else catch the digs at "rational self-interest" when referring to the Ebon Dragon?

Thanatos on
  • hotranhotran Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Judging by Rainfall's post, I'm going to assume the answer is no, but is there a place that has online sheets for 2e? Mythweavers has got nothing =(.

hotran on
    The Long Way Down: Clank, Warforged Fighter
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey INNS, no worries. I'm still working my way through the Infernals book and as Thanatos posted earlier, it's a lot to absorb. I'm looking forward to reading about what you have in store for your players and if a spot opens up somewhere, I'll hopefully have enough of an idea about Infernals to present a character for your approval.

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Social juggernauts who hate the sound of words

Adorjan ftw

INeedNoSalt on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can has character sheet? I flipped a coin and ended up with a female. The rest was a bit hard to figure out until I discovered the power of Verdant Emptiness Endowment.

Backstory
    Ano Akina was once a charismatic up-and-comer, a lady seeking office in a town that had a history of being male-led. She became a top candidate for the town's mayor, and had a promising future. Unfortunately for her, the incumbent mayor saw his poll numbers had taken a turn for the worse and that Ano actually had a good chance of winning the election.

On the eve of election, she discovered that her opponent had been funneling the town's money toward something else. Confident of her victory, she slept on it. The next morning, she discovered two things: first, that she had lost the election, and second, that the money her opponent had been funneling had gone towards buying the election.

Distraught by her defeat and knowing that she could no longer reveal her opponent's corruption, she turned her anger inward. She developed the belief that men could not be trusted with power.

It was at this point she was approached by a servant of Cecelyne.

Now she is a Malefactor of Cecelyne, dedicated to using her newfound powers to create a matriarchy.

Appearance:
    Ano was a woman of the East before her Exaltation. Lightly tanned skin with straight brown hair to her shoulders. Clothes aren't too revealing, leaving much to the imagination. Her blue eyes, once full of life, are now cold and distant.

Sheet:
    Name: Ano Akina
    Player: AdventFalls
    Concept: Faustian wish-granter
    Caste: Malefactor
    Motivation: Create a matriarchy.
    Urge: Cecelyian- Kill or subjugate the men of Nexus.
    Anima- A headless suit of demonic armor appears beside her, seemingly sucking all hope out of the room and replacing it with despair for those who oppose her.
    Intimacies: Cecelye

Strength:3
    Dexterity:4
    Stamina: 4
    Charisma: 3
    Manipulation: 3
    Appearance: 3
    Perception: 2
    Intelligence: 2
    Wits: 3

Melee 3/5, War 2, Integrity 3, Performance 3 (Prayers to Cecelyne +1), Presence 3, Resistance 3, Survival 1, Lore 1, Athletics 2, Awareness 3, Dodge 3, Socialize 2

Compassion 4 | Temperance 1 | Conviction 2 | Valour 3

Backing (Cecelyne) 1, Cult 1, Influence (Demons of Cecelyne) 1, Artifact (Shattered Crystal Blade) 3/4, Unwoven Coadjutor 3, Resources 1/2

Hardened Devil Body
    By Pain Reforged
    Scar-Writ Saga Shield
    Viridian Legend Exoskeleton
    First Cecelyne Excellency X3
    Transcendent Desert Creature
    Verdant Emptiness Endowment
    Sand Through Fingers Defense

Statsblock
    Essence: 2/3
    Essence Pool: 16/16 Personal, 33/38 Peripheral (5 committed to Shattered Crystal Blade) ?
    Willpower: 7
    Health Levels: -0 -1 -1 -2 -2 -2 -2 -4 -4 Incap Dying
    Hardness: 4B
    Soak: 4B 4L
    PDV: 6
    DDV: 10
    Attacks-
    Shattered Crystal Blade - Speed 5 | Acc 13 | Dam 8L | Def 4 | Rate 3

Bonus Point Expenditure:
    Essence- 7
    Abilities- 2
    Background- 3
    Virtue- 3

adventfalls on
    NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
    edited November 2009
    Remember that you need Lore 1 to be able to read!

Your melee 3/5, what does that mean, Advent?

Edit: oh, you're differentiating between what you bought with normal points and bonus points, looks like.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    *checks sheet*

I used BP to bump it to 5. I used slashes do denote I used BP on something.

adventfalls on
    edited November 2009
    quite good then :P

INeedNoSalt on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Remember that you need Lore 1 to be able to read!

Your melee 3/5, what does that mean, Advent?

Edit: oh, you're differentiating between what you bought with normal points and bonus points, looks like.

Reading is for people who can't dance. And kill people with their hair at the same time.

Rainfall on
    edited November 2009
    I'm not gonna get a chance to actually make a character until tomorrow night.

I had a character in mind as I was reading through the charms last night, but when I refreshed this thread, he was an awful lot like Rainfall's (like, half of the charms were gonna be the same), so I'm gonna do some re-working.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2009
    That is the biggest woe of Infernals I guess, it's hard not to have a bit of overlap. It's not the worst thing in the world, though.

No rush.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    Social juggernauts who hate the sound of words

Adorjan ftw
    In their defense, they don't hate the sound of words anymore than they hate the sound of everything else (which is to say, quite a bit).

Thanatos on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My sheet is still being revised but I will steal you guys' format anyway.

Backstory
    There once was a man who lived in Nexus. He was not really an evil man, though he did terrible things on occasion. He went through life keeping his head down, and survived well enough. But this is not his story.

There once was a man who worked for the Guild. He was not really a stupid man, though he did foolish things on occasion. He did as he was told, for the most part, even when it was disagreeable. But this is not his story.

There once was a man who had a family. He was not really a hateful man, though he did spiteful things on occasion. He did not resist his superiors, even when they sold his family into slavery. But this is not his story.

There once was a man who had nothing. He was not really a fearful man, though he did cowardly things on occasion. He saw a chance for vengeance, but at the last moment, he found himself incapable. But this is not his story.

There once was a man who spoke to a demon. He was not a powerful man, though he did great things on occasion. He whispered into the dark, and the dark answered him and gave him strength. This is his story.

Appearance:
    Fasara's appearance changes each time he enters Creation, of course, due to the benefits of Loom-Snarling Deception, and often changes in Malfeas to amuse Fasara (or simply according to his whims), but his "natural" appearance is that of a tall, wiry man with short cropped black hair and eyes that were green even before his Exaltation, but now have just the faintest trace of a sickly green fire burning inside them when viewed from just the right angle. He prefers to dress in the finest clothes available, at all times, even to the point of dressing inappropriately for an occasion and then using magical disguises to "change clothes".

Sheet:
    To Be Completed Soonish

Motivation and Urge:
    Motivation
    Take over the Guild by any means necessary.

Urge: Ophidian
    Break up the Confederation of Rivers through infighting and betrayal

EDIT: Motivation updated.

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited November 2009
    Hey folks. Getting the sheet together, but I've got a date with a likely-to-be-mediocre film, so its got to be put on hold.

As it stands, he's a pretty-combat focused, but I feel like that fits in with the concept pretty well. Question: Can Infernals use the Charms of other Exalts? Goes without saying that I'd play with the flavor considerably.

hotran on
    edited November 2009
    Like any other Solar-tier Exalt, only the bureaurat Caste (fiends, moonshadow, eclipse) can learn Charms from not-native sources.

Infernals can learn any Charm from the five reclamation Yozis (as well as Kimbery, but her Charms aren't printed yet), though, which means as we progress if you want to learn, like, the "Be a City" Charm, we'll find a way to homebrew that stuff up.

I like custom charms. :)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    I am so looking forward to creating unique custom Charms. Of course they won't remain unique for long, seeing as the instant I generate it is becomes valid for any Infernal anywhere to learn intuitively as I recall, but hey, fun nonetheless!

KrataLightblade on
    edited November 2009
    Yep, no secret Charms for Infernals.

The Yozis (have to) grant 100%, complete access to their entire Charmset to the Infernals to be involved in the Reclamation and have a say in what the Infernals do. Yozis can't make new Charms for themselves or for their Infernals. Infernals can make new Charms, and when they do, the Yozi whose Charm tree they made it in automatically learns it. And then that loops back up -- since they have to make any Charm they know available to their Infernals, any Charm an Infernal makes becomes available to all Infernals.

Now, there are definitely Charms that Infernals aren't really privvy to (Malfeas probably doesn't ever mention the totally righteous Performance (Dance) Charms he absolutely has), but with a little effort, they'll be able to figure it out and learn it on their own.

Edit: Which basically means that custom Charms for Infernals will be split between "Charms that already exist and aren't in the book" (like say, Being The Most Badass Dancer in Hell Charm, Being Made of Wind Charm, Being a Giant Phallus Charm) and Charms that are made up new and shiny (which still have to follow the Yozi's theme, necessarily.)

INeedNoSalt on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Argh. Recruitment flies by the one night I'm unable to access the internet. Ah well, I can always throw peanuts from the spectators gallery (suddenly I have the image of Adorjan flicking peanuts at the speaker of the Thing Infernal as they try to debate world corruption).

Paranoia833 on
    edited November 2009
    Argh. Recruitment flies by the one night I'm unable to access the internet. Ah well, I can always throw peanuts from the spectators gallery (suddenly I have the image of Adorjan flicking peanuts at the speaker of the Thing Infernal as they try to debate world corruption).

Evil peanuts.

KrataLightblade on
  • SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I too missed this thread until it was too late. Would have been fun to get some actual Exalted play in. Oh well, I'll join you in the peanut gallery.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
    edited November 2009
    So much overflow, someone should run a second game... :P

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    I must rabble rouse!

I am excited for the game.... make thy characters!

adventfalls on
    edited November 2009
    Apologies for the double-post, but something just occurred to me. And by occurred, I mean bludgeoned into my head by an interested party. And said party knows who s/he is.

Our characters more likely than not know each other, yes? So should we develop relationships/connections to each other's characters?

adventfalls on
    edited November 2009
    There being only 50 Infernals, and with the way gatherings tend to work, yeah, we've probably all met and definitely know one another by reputation if nothing else. Fasara himself has always made a point of associating with his fellow Green Sun Princes as often as possible. He is unfailingly polite, even when he's insulting someone, at least when dealing with other Infernals and higher ranked demons... it's not wise to upset things that are actually at the moment more powerful than you are. He's got a fondness for the finer things in life (twisted as those finer things are in Malfeas), especially food and clothing. He's also more than happy to make deals with other Infernals to advance their goals with subtlety and guile when necessary in return for their help advancing his with less... subtle... methods, so there are all sorts of possibilities in play for knowing him through business, pleasure, or both.

KrataLightblade on
    edited November 2009
    This is pretty much correct. You can't really NOT know an Infernal, because when they're Exalted, you're called back to Malfeas to greet them, basically.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    Aaaand character. Sorry it took so long; as others have said, this book is a beast. Tried to make the Number-y, Charm-y stuff fit with the concept as best I could, but help/revisions in that area are very welcome.

Backstory
    In mortal life, Walker on Shards of Beauty was a captain in the Gethamane guard. Among other duties, his small guerilla unit was charged with developing contacts among the Icewalkers, in order to provide the city with a bulwark against the growing power of the Bull of the North. A difficult task, Walker undertook it willingly, but the effort was doomed from the start. The group had some initial success ingratiating themselves with several tribes by posing as traders; however, one of Walker's troops (he never found out which) betrayed his fellows, and they were slaughtered as they fled the Icewalker camp.

Only Walker made it back alive, and he bore the full weight of his unit's failure on his shoulders. The city's rulers needed someone to take the fall, and Walker was a perfect fit. After the briefest and showiest of show trials, he was imprisoned deep below the city. It was here that a servant of Malfeas found him, despondent over his failure, and the death of his comrades. The demon forced him to relive their agony for days, highlighting each of the ways Walker had fallen short; he forced him to watch the petty nobles that presided over his trial condemn him over and over again. When he was at his lowest, the demon offered Walker enough power to make sure that he never suffered such indignities again, and he jumped at the chance.

As he writhed in his Chrysalis, Walker's new master guided him to a brilliant truth. No rulers, no councils, no kings could possibly be better than those that had cast him down. No, only the Primordials, Creation's true lords, could guide the world. As he burst forth into Creation, his body and mind perfected, Walker's purpose was clear; to bring down the pathetic, false rulers of the world, and restore the Primordials to their rightful place.

Now, as a Slayer in the service of Malfeas, Walker wields the finest creations of his master's smiths in this purpose, and seeks to bring the light of the green sun to all.

Appearance
    Walker stands nearly seven and a half feet tall, his body rippling with unnatural, slab-like musculature. While his white-blond hair still reflects the Northern climes of his mortal existence, his eyes are now a bright green, with slit-like red pupils. His calloused hands end in long, six-knuckled fingers that curl with ease around the massive reaver echarklave gifted to him by Malfeas.

Sheet
    Name: Walker on Shards of Beauty
    Player: hotran
    Concept: Unstoppable Destroyer
    Caste: Slayer
    Motivation: Cast down the petty rulers of Creation so that his Masters can take their rightful place.
    Urge: Malfean - Leave the East in leaderless chaos.
    Anima: A pack of blood-apes gleefully tearing their victims limb from limb in front of a blazing green sun.
    Intimiacies: Malfeas, the Ebon dragon, any representative of Creation's authority (negative intimacy)

Strength 4
    Dexterity 3
    Stamina 4
    Charisma 2
    Manipulation 1
    Appearance 4
    Perception 3
    Wits 4
    Intelligence 2

Archery 5, Martial Arts 2, Melee 5, Thrown 1, War 4, Athletics 3, Awareness 3, Dodge 3, Presence 3, Resistance 4, Lore 1

Compassion 1 | Conviction 3 | Temperance 1 | Valor 4

Backing 1 (Malfeas), Influence 1 (Servants of Malfeas), Artifact 7 (Represents the gifts of Malfeas: 2 for Caustic Reaver Echarklave, 2 for Acid-Rime Short Powerbow, 3 for Vitriolic Reinforced Breastplate)

First Malfean Excellency
    Hardened Devil Body
    Insignificant Embers Intuition
    Green-Sun Nimbus Flare
    Kissed By Hellish Noon
    Factual Determination Analysis
    Wind-Born Stride
    Thousand-Fold Typhoon Hand
    Essence-Dissecting Stare
    Counter-Conceptual Interposition

Statblock
    Essence 3
    Essence Pool: 16/16 Personal, 37/37 Peripheral
    Willpower: 7/7
    Health Levels: 1x-0, 2x-1, 5x-2, 2x-4, Incapacitated, Dying
    Soak 4B/2L
    DDV 5
    Attacks -
    Echarklave - Speed 5 | Acc +3 | Dam +9L | Rate 3
    Short Powerbow - Speed 6 | Acc +3 | Dam +3L | Rate 3

I can't find the scrap I was tracking BP's on, but 7 definitely went to raising Essence, I believe the rest went to abilities. Again, in the more-than-likely event I screwed something up, let me know and I'll fix it.

hotran on
    edited November 2009
    So, after looking over the book a little bit more, I'm seriously considering a Sidereal Akuma.

A couple things: it seems like it would be nigh-impossible to hide the fact that you're an Akuma from fellow Sidereals, so I'm guessing the Sidereal Akuma more or less abandon Yu-Shuan unless they're ridiculously powerful...?

Also, my reading seems to indicate that you are allowed to choose from your Exalted-type charms, spirit charms, and the charms of your patron Yozi, correct? So, a Sidereal Akuma of the Ebon Dragon could choose from normal Sidereal charms, spirit charms (at least, those available to demons, one would assume), and the Infernal charms of the Ebon Dragon, but not the charms of the other Infernals, correct?

Thanatos on
    edited November 2009
    hotran, you've got too many charms: because you're Essence 3, you have to take the Malfean Excellency 3 times, so you've got 12 Charms total there. I'll crunch other numbers in a bit.

Thanatos: When you become an Akuma, you get the Creature of Darkness mutation, so there's no way they won't know something's up. They'll also be aware that you're spending way too much time outside of Fate, unless you had some excuse to cover that up.

The Green Lady's managing to play Heaven and half a dozen Deathlords, so it's probably possible to fool Heaven if you're creative. Doesn't the Ebon Dragon have a Charm that lets you hide your nature...?

An Akuma can learn their native Charm set and the Charm set of their Yozi patron. They can learn Spirit Charms that the demon casting Investiture of Infernal Glory knows when he casts it, but they can't learn Spirit Charms after that unless they've got some other way to learn them (like a Fiend or Eclipse Caste does.)

Akuma get a pretty big mechanical advantage in the form of +30 bonus points, but it's counter-acted by having no Motivation, and having an unchanging Urge. With that in mind, you should come up with an Urge that'll still let you interact with the rest of the party ("Live in a tiny hut in the North until the Alchemicals show up" wouldn't leave much room for interaction!) but also that serves as the disadvantage that it should be (ie, should get in the way from time to time, not having free will is sort of the Akuma theme!)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    hotran, you've got too many charms: because you're Essence 3, you have to take the Malfean Excellency 3 times, so you've got 12 Charms total there. I'll crunch other numbers in a bit.

Thanatos: When you become an Akuma, you get the Creature of Darkness mutation, so there's no way they won't know something's up. They'll also be aware that you're spending way too much time outside of Fate, unless you had some excuse to cover that up.

The Green Lady's managing to play Heaven and half a dozen Deathlords, so it's probably possible to fool Heaven if you're creative. Doesn't the Ebon Dragon have a Charm that lets you hide your nature...?

An Akuma can learn their native Charm set and the Charm set of their Yozi patron. They can learn Spirit Charms that the demon casting Investiture of Infernal Glory knows when he casts it, but they can't learn Spirit Charms after that unless they've got some other way to learn them (like a Fiend or Eclipse Caste does.)

Akuma get a pretty big mechanical advantage in the form of +30 bonus points, but it's counter-acted by having no Motivation, and having an unchanging Urge. With that in mind, you should come up with an Urge that'll still let you interact with the rest of the party ("Live in a tiny hut in the North until the Alchemicals show up" wouldn't leave much room for interaction!) but also that serves as the disadvantage that it should be (ie, should get in the way from time to time, not having free will is sort of the Akuma theme!)
    Yeah, I understand the Urge thing just fine. When I initially read that Demon Investiture background, I was thinking "why the hell wouldn't every Akuma Exalt take five dots in this?" Then I saw the part that said "every Akuma Exalt gets five dots in this for free." Suddenly made a lot more sense. :P

And yeah, I'm not saying that a Sidereal Akuma wouldn't be able to get into Yu-Shuan, just that I don't imagine them doing so as a Sidereal for any significant length of time, given that there are still Sidereal who were alive during the Usurpation tooling around. I just don't see a Sidereal selling his soul, then continuing about his duties in the Celestial Bureaucracy without missing a beat and without anyone noticing; I just wanted to make sure I had the concept straight.

Thanatos on
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah, it'll be rough to keep up a normal Sidereal life in Heaven while also serving a Yozi. Not impossible, depending on what your Yozi wants, but it might be rough to justify running around with a handful of "Solars" that live off the grid and hiding outside of Fate for a significant amount of time.

You'll still have some access to Heaven, though, which is probably a big reason a Yozi would want a Sidereal servant.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    Oh yeah, it'll be rough to keep up a normal Sidereal life in Heaven while also serving a Yozi. Not impossible, depending on what your Yozi wants, but it might be rough to justify running around with a handful of "Solars" that live off the grid and hiding outside of Fate for a significant amount of time.

You'll still have some access to Heaven, though, which is probably a big reason a Yozi would want a Sidereal servant.
    This is pretty much exactly what I had pictured, just wanted to make sure we weren't going to get started and you'd say "oh, and you'll be spending most of your time in Heaven, doing grunt work for your Sifu..."

Thanatos on
    edited November 2009
    Oh no, I very much expect for your Sidereal (should you go that route) to hang out with the Coven, with a bit of his own thing on the side (but I expect all characters to have their own stuff going on on the side) which might involve visiting Heaven from time to time.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    Hey, thanks for the info, INNS. I'm at school, so no book, but off the top of my head I'd say I'm likely going to drop Wind-Born Stride and Thousand-Fold Typhoon Hand.

hotran on
    edited November 2009
    No rush, hotran.

Thanatos: Do you have Glories of the Most High: Maidens? It introduces a new type of Charm for Sidereals (Astrological Charms) and has some errata.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    Thanatos: Do you have Glories of the Most High: Maidens? It introduces a new type of Charm for Sidereals (Astrological Charms) and has some errata.
    I'm at work right now, but I have a friend who I can probably borrow it from.

Really, what I desperately need right now is more options for character creation. :P

Thanatos on
  • RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually, Akuma have access to a very convenient charm that makes them all but undetectable. Loom-Snarling Deception, an Ebon Dragon charm, available to all Akuma regardless of their patron.

Of course, the ED reserves the right to revoke its use at any time, but it at least allows you to fake being a Sidereal in Yu-Shan, since it changes your appearance and fate as a shaping effect, and can be explicitly used to pretend to be the person you were before your infernalization.

Rainfall on
    edited November 2009
    It can, but those people are still going to notice that you're not in Fate a fair deal of time, not doing your job, etc

INeedNoSalt on
    edited November 2009
    It can, but those people are still going to notice that you're not in Fate a fair deal of time, not doing your job, etc

That's when you find someone important anc donvince them you're REALLY working for JUST THEM and pass them a whole bunch of not-quite-perfect information and have them squash any investigation into your activities.

Or just convince everyone you work for Oversight... Of course, Oversight might be a bit pissy about this, but they're going to be your biggest worry anyway, right?

KrataLightblade on
    edited November 2009
    I was intending to play a Sidereal who had "gone rogue," in any case. I may still pick up Loom-Snarling Deception, though, just because it's cool.

Thanatos on