As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Aion] Is Now Completely Free To Play. 3.0 Is Now Live.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There's no need to get defensive. This thread is a legitimate platform for discussion the game, and seeing as most of us have put a sizable amount of playtime in, I think we're all entitled to discuss what we like and dislike about it. Pointing out that one dislikes the grind doesn't need to be met with accusations of childishness or a lack of "MMO cred" or whatever.

Silas Brown on
  • StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oddly enough, I'm one of the few who have never played WoW. (I mentioned this fairly recently in this thread.) I'm sure that a sizable portion of readers immediately discount my postings as pointless drivel because, having never played WoW, I clearly have no concept of what makes a successful MMO work. Never mind that I've worked very closely with the designers of a successful MMO for eight years, have many real-life connections to people in the MMO industry, and have been enjoying and playing MMOs since "massively" meant two hundred simultaneous logins. (Many others discount me due to my screen name, but I've found that those people typically don't have anything worthwhile to say anyway.)

People compare Aion to WoW because its an easy analogy to make. They look similar, and the play "feel" is similar. But even though it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it isn't fitting into that blue sailor suit. If WoW were the aforementioned duck, then Aion is a plastic and metal robot with a MP3 player hidden inside it. They may look similar, but the instant you drop them into water you'll know the difference.

A lot of players are pissed off at Aion because they wanted WoW 2.0 - just like WoW but with more PvP. And they didn't get that. What they got was a mish-mash of old-school Ultima Online ganking, Lineage style grinding, and a WoW-like User Interface. "We've been tricked!" they scream as they scamper back to their old games. "This isn't what we signed up for!" The sad part is that they start out with such high expectations that when the reality of it becomes painfully apparent, they feel cheated and have a burning need to deride the game as a whole.

It's not that Aion is better, worse, easier, harder, or even more or less fun than WoW. They're not even the same kind of game. Oh sure, they're both MMO RPG "type" games, and they both have a third person look to them. But really, WoW and Aion have as much in common with each other as they do with an online game of Dungeon Siege. It doesn't make anyone wrong and it doesn't mean that Aion sucks.

In fact, despite the neighing and braying in this forum, there is a lot of evidence that Aion does NOT suck. Over 1 million copies sold. Top ten seller for two consecutive months. Rated in the top 5 ranked games on xfire since release. Listed in the 75 most popular games on steampowered. (Anecdotally, it looks like about a 40% first-month retention rate which is -stellar- for any MMO not named "World of Warcraft".)

I actually saw one posting complaining that Aion was "too much like DAoC and GuildWars!" Personally, I think when people are "complaining" that your game is similar to two of the most popular PvP MMOs in existence, you've got a pretty good game. It's not a game for everyone; it really is nothing like WoW despite how it looks at early levels. Some people really hate it for that.

I really enjoy it and I'm liking it more and more as I advance further and further.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think a lot of the discussion of this game goes down the toilet as people attempt to accuse each other of comparing it to one MMO or another.

People being experienced players of MMOs or not is irrelevant. What other games are doing is, largely irrelevant, in the context of discussing this game, and whether it is good or not. It's relevant to the question of "Would I rather play this MMO than another?" which is an incredibly important question in the MMO genre, as very few employed people have the spare time to get their money's worth out of more than one MMO at a time.

Whether Aion is an enjoyable game is a good thing to discuss.

Whether Aion is the MMO you want to be playing right now is a very good thing to think about, but I'd argue that posting about it not so good. Many people posting about this lead themselves into making arguments for or against playing, which is fine in your own head, but when you start making internal arguments public you forego a lot of the important first steps in discussion, like defining priorities. You already know what your priorities are, and that'll be what your personal take on whether to play Aion is based on. However, leaving them silent, you sound like a total blowhard.

Let's look at an example here. Look at these two statements, and see which one comes off sounding like a total dickweed:

"I just logged into Aion, and man, it's so not worth playing."

vs.

"I just logged into Aion, and it took me quite a while to get anywhere meaningful, which sucked, because I only have maybe an hour, at best two per day to play my MMO of choice. It's not worth playing for me, since it will take me a very long time to reach max level and balanced PvP content, which is what I'm interested in."

Just my thoughts.

Also, having played a number of MMOs at launch I've come to think that launch is the worst time to play any MMO. Things are in constant turmoil, and there's a ton that needs ironing out. I guess if this became the common opinion, it'd be really hard to get MMOs up and running, but I don't think I've seen a single MMO launch where I'd want to be playing from day 1. Month 6 seems to be about where companies get their shit together.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
    edited November 2009
    As I re-read this, I thought it might be worthwhile to post WHY I'm enjoying Aion.

I started an alt with the express purpose of making kinah. No, I'm not botting. I just totally ignored the storyline/quests completely. I didn't try to get "good" or even "decent" gear for the character. I parked my new alt in an area that I knew high-demand items dropped and started farming for them incessantly and reselling every drop I got for buckets of kinah. The only exceptions were easy quests that were "on the way", or that I knew I could finish in 5 minutes or less. I only used dropped or quest equipment, typically 3 to 5 levels LOWER than my character. I used the account-common warehouse to transfer kinah and items to my "real" character and didn't spend kinah on ANYTHING. No flying, no teleporting, no manastones, no trade broker. NOTHING!

It took about two days to make my first million kinah. I've "earned" about 5 million so far and the whole money sink part of the game is not even a passing concern to me. Five million is not a huge amount; the level 40+ players chatter about gaining and spending 2-3 million as if it were commonplace. I, on the other hand, have not gotten a single character up to level 30 yet and 5 million is still a significant chunk of change and has drastically affected my feelings towards the game as a whole. Naturally, I've already spent nearly 4 million of that total... because I could. And spending that kinah on consumables and seemingly unobtainable equipment has made my gaming experience much more enjoyable.

Some would argue that I'm "making it worse" by grinding for kinah rather than playing the game. I won't dispute that. But I will say that I've had a lot of fun sitting there and grinding for hours. It doesn't take a lot of concentration or effort to grind, so I chat/joke with others in the guild. It's like sitting in IRC and earning kinah that can be used to make Aion a better gameplay experience.

And when this alt gets to level 30, I'll take my Daevanon armor piece and start over again.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, enjoy the game your way, man. If you're not inconveniencing other people, I don't see why they have any right to say you're doing it wrong.

If they're saying that inflation is bad, they are pretty patently wrong. The same thing occurred in Ragnarok Online, eventually. Some very basic items are worth thousands of times to players what they are to vendors, and selling stuff to vendors is a really, really bad way to make money.

What this means, though, is that players starting out, with a little research, can make their costs-of-living a complete non-issue (in RO you pay to access your storage, and to instantly travel to various towns, among other costs). When I played very early in the game's life, teleporting around the world was prohibitively expensive for me. Now, my character has millions of moneys on her, and going from one town to another costs just 1-3 thousand.

I'd say that, in games with fixed in-game costs, inflation is almost always a good thing, for active players. You're constantly getting more doodads to sell, if you're playing, so your wealth should always be going up, even if your million moneys will buy less today than a month ago. The people it would hurt most would just be people who somehow amassed a giant, golden throne of cash early on, and then stopped doing anything productive.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really like Aion, but I still cancelled my sub - I think I'm just MMOed out right now.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do you do it? How does anyone make money on the damn broker? I get really decent drops, things like Researcher's Chain Pauldrons, say.

I go to the broker, search for that item, and list mine at the cheapest current price or a little under - then I wait for 8 days to get the item back in the mail after the sale period expires.

Do I have to do what Stupid claims to do, farm up only specific items that sell? Do I have to vendor/grind up the kinah to level crafting and crit blues?

The single thing I find unenjoyable about Aion is never having enough kinah to afford upgrades, consumables, crafting, etc. If I could just figure out the magic trick other people use to not be strapped for cash all the time I would be so much happier with my playtime. *shrug*

hlprmnky on
    _
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
    edited November 2009
    I'll tell you a secret. The best way to make money off the broker is to BUY items, not sell. I won't even bother posting something to the broker unless I can get at least double the merchant price.

When I started my alt, I noted the prices of things that dropped like rain from the sky. Not the broker prices, the NPC merchant prices. As soon as I know the actual sale price for an item, I go to the broker and search for that item. Typically you will find five to ten people who have posted items to the broker for LESS then the NPC merchant would give them. (This is doubly stupid since not only did they lose money on the sale, but they also paid the broker fee to list the item!) Buy them all, run the 2 seconds to the merchant and resell. Instant profit.

For example, do a broker search on "Elf's". These are low level rings and belts that drop all over Verteron. They sell to the Merchant for 1410 each. I'll bet you a hundred kinah that RIGHT NOW there are at least three of them listed on the broker for less than that.

Sometimes you only make 10 kinah per individual flip. Whatever. With a short list of only 5 of 6 items, I would make 1000-5000 kinah per trip to the broker. Sometimes I would run back and forth between the broker and the Merchant two or three times because my inventory wasn't big enough to hold everything. My list now has over 20 items on it and I can make 10,000 to 50,000 per trip, just for removing items from the game economy. I made 20,000 on ONE ITEM last night.

MMO designers always add "money sinks" in the economy to prevent runaway inflation, but in Aion, the players have an opportunity to BE the money sink.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I dunno, I seriously do not have money problems, and I don't do any of the kind of market manipulation that others do. Crafting? Nope, only for myself. Flipping items on the broker? Haven't tried yet.

Yeah, sometimes your stuff doesn't sell on the broker, but typically I sell anything with a reasonable price tag on the broker in a day or two. Whatever doesn't sell I check again, sometimes I just vendor it.

I actually make quite a bit of kinah off of gathering. I really only have Handicrafting for staves, and that means a lot of materials get sold. Sure, I could save my adamantium and give it to a crafter to make for me, or I could make as much or more by simply selling the mats and buying the armor off the broker when some idjit posts it for well under mats price.

edit: actually, while I'm thinking about it, I do have a few rules. I always sell whites to the vendor. They typically don't sell for much on the broker, and people don't always search for whites. Also, make SURE when brokering weapons that you can't sell it to the vendor for more. Weapons are valuable, white or not, and generally the vendor will buy it for more than you can possibly sell it on the broker. There are some specific levels that this is doubly true, like the 30-35 range, since everybody can get Hannet's with very little work, which is better than almost any other weapon in it's level range.

Ender on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the irony in all of this is that they quit WoW because they were tired of it and wanted something new. Then they quit Aion complaining that it's not WoW.

*boggle*

JediNight on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JediNight wrote: »
    I think the irony in all of this is that they quit WoW because they were tired of it and wanted something new. Then they quit Aion complaining that it's not WoW.

*boggle*

Nobody complained that it wasn't WoW. They complained about things that happen to not be in WoW and you claim that "being different from WoW" is their complain.

Djiem on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aion is pretty okay I still play may Chanter on Yustiel.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • bejeavisbejeavis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JediNight wrote: »

*boggle*

Everyone who critiques Aion is a obviously a WoW scrub, new to MMORPG's and gaming in general, got upset they didn't get free epics, and quit Aion to go back to WoW.

Am I doin' it right?

bejeavis on
  • LockoutLockout I am still searching Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aion is my fourth MMO. I've probably put more time in it than any of the others (which wasn't much, to tell the truth)

I just don't feel like logging in anymore

Lockout on
    f24GSaF.jpg
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Was Kifet anyone from the board? They seem to have assumed lead of the Elemenstors and just vanished. I was hoping the alt guild would hang around in case it was needed later, but as-is it's not terribly useful.

Madpoet on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Was Kifet anyone from the board? They seem to have assumed lead of the Elemenstors and just vanished. I was hoping the alt guild would hang around in case it was needed later, but as-is it's not terribly useful.

There should still be room in the Sorcelators for anyone who wishes to switch over.

I haven't played in a few days due to being busy and also having Dragon Age, but last I was on, we had spots open.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Didn't think we were bringing alts in at all... and either way, was more bemoaning the loss of a good name. We can bring people in, but no way to kick anyone out or make new officers.

Madpoet on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I'm on airel as an Asmod named Tchel. I wanna join a guild of cool people, so I'm wondering who here is on that server, and is still playing.

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • TreTre Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    So I'm on airel as an Asmod named Tchel. I wanna join a guild of cool people, so I'm wondering who here is on that server, and is still playing.

I still play myself. Currently in a legion that's mostly people in their mid-high 20s with a few 30+ peeps. Obviously, we're not hardcore or anything. I'm pretty sure there are no legion level restrictions or anything so you could probably join if you want. My main character's name is Vulpecula if you wanna hit me up in game.

Tre on
    edited November 2009
    My main still hasn't gotten to the abyss. I'm slow.

I suspect the game'll take a leap in interestingness once I can pvp, though.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    My main still hasn't gotten to the abyss. I'm slow.

I suspect the game'll take a leap in interestingness once I can pvp, though.

Trying to PvP in the abyss before 35 seems like a waste of time to me. All you'll run into is players/groups who will rape you while you barely touch them. You'll have much better chances doing a little rifting.

On a funnier note, I was standing at the broker in Morheim putting stuff up for sale when a random elyos somehow flies straight inside of the building. I stood there kinda surprised for a moment because he didn't even move after landing, but neither did the other 50 asmos at the broker. So I engage him and he starts to run while other people flying by oblivious to this fight going on in the middle of the city. Being a few levels higher, I finished him off pretty quickly but it was only then that people actually noticed looking around puzzled because someone just got killed in their chat log. I don't know whether to laugh or feel embarrassed for my faction.

Tre on
  • goodtimesgoodtimes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    well, not to be a dick but anyone still in morheim this late in the game is pretty slow

goodtimes on
    new sig underconstruction
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "Late in the game"?

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Haven't you heard? MMOs are a race and if you don't keep up then you are a "noob" who "suxx0rz" and obviously has only ever played WoW and should go back to said game for noobs who suxx0rz.

Silas Brown on
    edited November 2009
    goodtimes wrote: »
    well, not to be a dick but anyone still in morheim this late in the game is pretty slow

I am still in Eltnen and I bought this game at launch.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Why aren't you grinding, Fandyien? Right now? Shame on you.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited November 2009

I didn't realize not even 2 months post release was "late in the game". I better start taking my comp with me to work so I can keep up with the 10% of people on my server above level 30.

Tre on
    edited November 2009

Why aren't you grinding, Fandyien? Right now? Shame on you.

I'm so fast, I'm slow.

Also I hit 23 on my chanter last night so hooray.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Theobomos is dumb easy but lacks gatherable things, and I need duckets.

So is anyone in the sorcelators a bad enough dude to make me some level 23 chainmail? I have 30k. D:

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Theobomos is dumb easy but lacks gatherable things, and I need duckets.

So is anyone in the sorcelators a bad enough dude to make me some level 23 chainmail? I have 30k. D:

See http://www.therealstupid.com/Aion/Penric_Armorsmith.htm

Those are the raw costs to craft; anyone who does it for less than that is taking a loss.

You can find me on tonight after 6PM. I'll let you guess what my character name is. :)

EDIT: That page is out of date. I have some of the level 43 armor designs/skill now and will add those this weekend.

Stupid on

26904.png
    edited November 2009
    If I sent you, say, 100k, could you make worthy titanium chain for me? I can farm that up pretty quick.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
    edited November 2009
    As an addendum, how the butts does in-flight pvp work as a chanter? I only have smite one. Rangers are going to eat me.

Though I guess my job is to offheal and rape assassins / anyone I can get close to?

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    At your level, you have very few options for in-flight combat. Basically, try to catch up, nothing else works against a ranger.

On the ground, you do better. Your knockdowns will work, and following a ranged attacker is easier. In flight, you're kinda screwed until at least 28, when you get the questionably useful Binding Word stigma.

Ender on
    edited November 2009
    As an addendum, how the butts does in-flight pvp work as a chanter? I only have smite one. Rangers are going to eat me.

Though I guess my job is to offheal and rape assassins / anyone I can get close to?

you are there to pop word of quickness before you get silenced and die.

goodtimes on
    edited November 2009
    You are not very good times, goodtimes.

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • BlueBaronBlueBaron regular
    edited November 2009
    All hail goodtimes, king of the douches.
    You realize you are in morheim until past level 40, right? If you weren't one of the lucky ones to choose the right class off the bat, then there is no way you are past 40. Unless you don't have a job or a life, and then I guess you would be(lucky bastard).
    Anyways, congrats on being 50 early, most of the people I know that are 50 just play a lot. It doesn't mean you are good at this game, and I hope you are an elyos on triniel so I can kill you.

BlueBaron on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    50 already?

You poor fucker.

Endomatic on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, do you mean there are still people who are not level 50, who don't have the full set of level 30 DP armor for every class and don't own the best AP reward items?

Djiem on
    edited November 2009
    BlueBaron wrote: »
    All hail goodtimes, king of the douches.
    You realize you are in morheim until past level 40, right? If you weren't one of the lucky ones to choose the right class off the bat, then there is no way you are past 40. Unless you don't have a job or a life, and then I guess you would be(lucky bastard).
    Anyways, congrats on being 50 early, most of the people I know that are 50 just play a lot. It doesn't mean you are good at this game, and I hope you are an elyos on triniel so I can kill you.

I'm only halfway to 48 and unfortunately for me you are asmo as well.

I can't apologize if you didn't take advantage of the 6 closed betas and the week-long open beta to figure out that you sucked at whatever class you rolled initially.

I am on triniel though , so if you need help with crushing the conspiracy just gimme a shout.

goodtimes on
  • edited November 2009
    i will be 449 cooking and 399 handicraft tomorrow O_O although i am missing a lot of handicraft recipes. if anyone need anything on yustiel, lemme know!

Push Button / Receive Cat on