As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hey its a loomdun, and he is drawing stuff, how neat [NSFW]

• Dr's OwlDr's Owl Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I made an account just to tell you how amazed I am at the speed of your progression. You have come a very long way, in a relatively short amount of time. Kudos to you, hopefully you can keep it up! :D

Dr's Owl on
    Pirates have Parrots, Doctors have Owls?
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hooray thanks person

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Dr's OwlDr's Owl Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    The first post was just going to be, "You make my eyeballs happy." but I figured a formal post would be more appropriate. >_>

Dr's Owl on
    Pirates have Parrots, Doctors have Owls?
    edited November 2009
    jesus, I decide to skip one day of not posting my progress and now the transition from last drawing to now is just like "what?"

zMncQ.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Are you purposely not blocking in feet and sometimes hands for time? Clearly that old dude is wearing shoes, and your hands has been steadily getting defined, but your feet don't always feel planted, I think because of the vagueness of the toes.

I can also understand that alot of time can be wasted in over defining a hand, so I'm not surprised by the trend, I'd just recommend thinking about studying those two areas a bit more to build better gestures of them without spending too time on them in full figure drawings.

I don't know the watts curriculum, so I'm just going on what I see. Its evident that you're working really hard loom, its inspirational, and I hope you continue on strong.

Iruka on
    edited November 2009
    yes, usually I establish the feet and hands structure, today I more established the hands and some of the feet but with such limited time its better to just give the indication its there and work on what I need to solve, as I slowly get faster i'll actually define the hands and feet more

Loomdun on
    splat
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Well, I would say watch leaving out the toes completely like on that bottom foot. I'm not sure you need much more to imply just a bit more structure, and you seemed to do alright with the other foot.

Iruka on
    edited November 2009
    theres actually a bottom part to the foot I took a bad picture of it which is cutting it off, but its more squared off I forgot to establish the toe of it

Loomdun on
    splat
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looking pretty good.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited November 2009
    looking over my drawings, I would say that another thing that is missing is cast shadows on feet, which would definitely help me create the figure being planted more firmly in a short amount of time, I will remember to mark cast shadows in my next drawing as well as 3 other things that i learned today

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2009
    9RiEa.jpg

meh, lets see how awful I do tomorrow

Loomdun on
    splat
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That guy has too many abbs! Watch your edge loom. If you make your lines too dark they look like creases. He looks like hes got plated abs.

PROX on
    edited November 2009
    That is mainly because I was working from a picture and thoughtt "hey I see the things lighter but lets see what happens if I try making dark core shadows anyways" And then I learned a horrible horrible lesson and the erasing couldn't even fix, anyways its another thing to add of things not to do but oh well, my lessons are always painful

edit: its also supposed to be half abs half rib cage but I apparently did not apply it right to be understood as such

Loomdun on
    splat
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Edges are very important. In fact...that's all there is to drawing.

PROX on
    edited November 2009
    well no, theres edges, shapes, and tone

Loomdun on
    splat
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Actually in my opinion he is right, shapes and tone are both made up of edges.

rts on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    lolwat i dont get it. please explain everything that has just been said.

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    huh I GUESS thats true if you consider really really fat strokes a edge and a triangle or even a circle a edge, but that would be stretchingggg it since all 3 usually mesh together in some fashion and would just be over simplifying drawing which is already very simplifed as it is

I mean in general it is a edge that is used in varying length to make shapes or tone, but then on the other hand, you could say that it is also varying thickness in tone used to create a shape and edge

wait this is silly your silly

Loomdun on
    splat
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    lolwat i dont get it. please explain everything that has just been said.

Here this might help.

When my bandwidth is not being used like crazy. N/m remembered I have money give me a sec to buy some bandwidth.

Edit:I'm paying for it, im paying for it

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
    edited November 2009
    ohhh silly ikage, all your pictures are apparently broken because you exceeded its bandwith

edit: also to edit the edit, the bandwidth wont ever stop because photobucket works off a limited amount of memory that it can store which you exceeded and now it wants your muneys

Loomdun on
    splat
  • IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ohhh silly ikage, all your pictures are apparently broken because you exceeded its bandwith

edit: also to edit the edit, the bandwidth wont ever stop because photobucket works off a limited amount of memory that it can store which you exceeded and now it wants your muneys

HOHOHOHO Try and burn my bandwidth now mini-wheat boy!

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
    edited November 2009
    but but but

Loomdun on
    splat
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The reviews for that book are pretty hilarious.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited November 2009
    so i'm currently drawing aunt jemima climbing through a wormhole of space and time to scrub the floor of the empty void and advertise her delicious pancakes

034.jpg

and i'll post my head drawing later tonighttt

Loomdun on
    splat
  • ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Curious as to why you finished off certain areas before even finishing the lay-in in others.. generally a good idea to bring the everything up as a whole.. be real careful with all the shapes and folds.. leyendecker designs all that stuff incredibly well.

Shizumaru on
    edited November 2009
    I dont knoww i'm just a crazyyy kiddd

036.jpg

edit: well actually I establish the general tone in the specific area i'm working in and I keep it consistant as I move through it because theres so many shapes that it would take longer correcting the shapes if I tried to speedily simplified it then had to go back in and establish every crack of light

Loomdun on
    splat
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh, it's that guy!

NightDragon on
    edited November 2009
    that one over there

Loomdun on
    splat
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    damn ikage, it staking over an hour with my sltow internets, ill check it out when it resets kpro thank you. loosk interesting though

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    my speed began to increase and my strokes became better as time progressed with my instructors help of course

010-3.jpg

and 20 minute lay ins

002-11.jpg

004-13.jpg

006-10.jpg

008-9.jpg

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice work, Loom.
    I'm just curious. Watts seems to put a lot of time into charcoal. Is Henry Yan ever referenced? I have his book and love the way he expresses figures without much detail.

Guy Bell on
    edited November 2009
    I have no idea they might talk about him but not in the classes i'm currently taking

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Guy Bell wrote: »
    Is Henry Yan ever referenced? I have his book and love the way he expresses figures without much detail.

Yeah, but it's not so much as "hey class today we're going to learn about Henry Yan/Henry Yan methods" and more "hey dudes I brought in some cool books to check out over the breaks if you want" and his book shows up a lot. Pretty rad book.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited November 2009
    ohh that silly loomdun

Loomdun on
    splat
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ohh that silly loomdun
    MVB74.jpg
    whats going on with his left arm. was he moving it on you?

Kendeathwalker on
    edited November 2009
    It was slightly aiming towards me but not much

its more the issue I forgot to draw the back half of the pillow so it looks slightly confusing since its mixing with the arm

Loomdun on
    splat
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    oh, I see it as a pillow now. It was confusing because the value range you are using on him is pretty much the same. These seem like quick poses so getting into more subtle relationships probably isn't practical. Although some of these do feel a bit heavy handed. as in not much sense of a fall off of the light on the limbs further from the light source- too much contrast. However the aunt jemima drawing is quite nice, im guessing because youve had a lot longer to work on it.

Kendeathwalker on
    edited November 2009
    heavy handed as you can tell from the beginning to now is generally my own personal weakness which I have been working off while the pose is limited to 2-3 hours (unlike the crazyyy aunt jemima drawing thingy) I have been forcing out bad habits which have been allowing me to constantly build up on my drawings so yah, that is definitely something I am consistantly aware of and pecking away

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited November 2009
    ughghghghghgh

as long as I keep learning I wont go insane

Loomdun on
    splat
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DAMN DUDE! Stuff is improving loads. *thumbsup

I really like this one.