As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rendering of sea life

ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
Well, sea death, I guess. My daughter caught part of a Discovery Channel special on a whale that mysteriously exploded in Taiwan, and drew her own interpretation. She calls it "The Whale Is Sad Because He Blew Up."

whalesplode.jpg

Note the strong use of color in the whale guts, and the attention to detail on the gas pump in the lower right - the way the gore hangs from it gives it an almost 3D feel. Also, the strong sense of emotion conveyed in the whale's eye. You really get the sense that the whale is sad because he blew up.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like the mushroom cloud over the whale. Nice attention to detail.

The whale also blew up so badly that he was lifted off the ground by the explosion.

Is your daughter taking the whale's..er...sadness okay?

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You're getting ready to tell her the dog story, aren't you?....

Guy Bell on
  • Options
    CheerfulBearCheerfulBear Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Honestly ElJeffe I think you need to be a little more assertive in telling your daughter that she really needs to work on perspective and anatomy. Sure, there's the emotional impact but that's no excuse for sloppy technique. And don't tell me she's using her own "style" or whatever. Sorry, that's just not going to cut it this time.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2009
    Is your daughter taking the whale's..er...sadness okay?

She thought it was awesome and wanted to save the episode so she could watch it again.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I thought the perspective and anatomy were great. It's hard to accurately draw anatomy that is flying through the air at a hundred and fifty feet per second, and I think it was handled well.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Give it up, Metalbluh, she's not going to draw your portrait.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That was stupid

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What you're overlooking is the work's poignant symbolism as an environmental and socio-economic critique. In a world of uncertainty today, who knows what world the next generation will grow to inherit? The petrol tank is a clear reference to the looming oil crisis and the depletion of natural resources, while the whale is an embodiment of the whole of mankind - bloated and ever-consuming. The fact that the whale is blowing up is a symbol for things blowing up.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    You probably missed the part where all the whale-peices flew into the gas pump and made more gas.

Hey Jeffe, you should really get your daughter to post here more, I really like her art.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You people are too hung up on natural representation. Clearly, the artist is not trying to imitate nature, this is a psychological rendering of the artist's experience of seeing a whale blown to bits.

Tam on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Um this is about as mimetic as it gets, Tam. Maybe you're just projecting.

CheerfulBear on
  • Options
    LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    that hand calligraphy is amazing, so well rendered

Loomdun on
    splat
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Um this is about as mimetic as it gets, Tam. Maybe you're just projecting.

Oi'll projec yew inna nex week inna minnit

Tam on