As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Skeletal Giant Eagle? [LP in progress]

IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirateAnd give me that bootyRegistered User regular
edited January 2010 in Social Entropy++
That's right folks it's time for some fucking Dwarf Fortress!

Screenshot_33.jpg

What is Dwarf Fortress? Basically the most crazy ASCII based rogue/adventure/city building game ever. If you aren't prepared to sink several hours just learning how to play the game don't even bother. You can play either in fortress mode or adventure mode. Adventure mode is basically a suicide generator, albeit a ridiculously fun suicide generator. The real meat of the game is in the Fortress Mode, which is what I will mostly be discussing here.

OK I have no life and am interesting in finding a way to waste several weeks of my life, how do I get started?

Go here to download the game: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ It's available for both Macs and PC's and supposedly there is a Linux port.

Next go here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page and then immediately here http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Your_first_fortress and read until you are pretty damn sure you know what the hell you're doing. Then go back and read some more after starting up the game and realizing you don't know anything.

You could also follow along with some of the guided first time walk throughs.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=31928.0 - Text based guide
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=28477.0 - Video based guide

So lets talk about this! I would do an LP but since it's my first time through and I don't really have the time I won't. I'll probably update when something crazy happens.

So I just started learning how to play this. So far I'v played for several hours, not counting the several hours I took learning how to play, and I haven't even received my first caravan. But none of my dwarfs have died yet and I have a pretty good limestone mug production set up going, so I guess I'm doing OK? I also just downloaded a graphics set to make the game look far less confusing. A green dot? WHAT THE FUCK IS A GREEN DOT

I downloaded this graphic set, because it supposedly makes the game look like an NES game and that sounds cool. I haven't installed it yet as I'v been busy figuring out how to install it, and how to do an accent removal. After some searching I finally found the modified files for an accent removal here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=341

Also in case you're wondering a green dot is a lizard! Or a toad. Or grass.

Bloodline Game

OK We're also doing a Bloodline Game! A bloodline game is where one person plays a set amount of in game time (usually a year, spring to spring) then copies the save file and forwards it to the next person in line. This almost always ends in lots of FUN.

The Syrupstorms Saga

Starting stuff on page 48.

Current line up (in play order)
IpseDixit (Finished, Write up)
Dubh (Finished, Write up)
VALVEjunkie (Finished, Summary of Valve's turn)
Nerdgasmic (Finished, Screencaps, Write up)
L|ama (Finished, and his write up which is good unlike the last two bumblers)
BYToady (Playing)
Buttcleft
Krosius
Raneados is a quitter
Lasbrook
HellaJeff
Artreus
Rankenphile
DracoGriffin

ipsesignew.jpg
Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
IpseDixit on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    don't you do this to me

DON'T YOU DO THIS TO ME

Raneados on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited November 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    don't you do this to me

DON'T YOU DO THIS TO ME

yes. Because I need ANOTHER addictive game to go with the digital crack that is Oblivion I got today.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't even give a fuck cuz I have Dungeon Fighter Online, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age, Torchlight, and Call of Juarez to play

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    don't you do this to me

DON'T YOU DO THIS TO ME

Doing it

Right in your butt

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Don't even give a fuck cuz I have Dungeon Fighter Online, Modern Warfare 2, Dragon Age, Torchlight, and Call of Juarez to play

Why'd you stick Call of Juarez in there?

If you're talking about the absolute shit first one, anyways.

Never played the second.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The second one is so much fun!

I never played the first.

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    asperger's appreciations station.

Teefs why do you hate fun so much

Stop hating fun

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    fucking hell the last time I tried to play this I couldn't even figure out how to tell those fuckers what to do.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    teefs that is offensive against people with asperger's syndrome

stop being a cunt and a whore

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    And of course my body decides that it's time to sleep now

Why do I always start things right before I go to bed

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    FUCK now there's a video tutorial

now I have no excuse!

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

now I have no excuse!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    ackack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

now I have no excuse!

oh jeez

ah i probably still won't get it into it because i only like baby games

ack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    IpseDixit wrote: »
    asperger's appreciations station.

Teefs why do you hate fun so much

Stop hating fun

Just because this game is designed for sperglords by sperglords doesn't stop it from being fun, bro

have you seen that isometric realtime visualiser

I'v just barely figured out how to make my record keeper keep records

Link me and I will follow said link in the morning

IpseDixit on
    ipsesignew.jpg
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Teefs you have been extra cunty lately.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    no a game thats entirely micromanagement is actually pretty spergy

sperg is just a funny word its not all that bad :)

ack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Teefs you have been extra cunty lately.

No she hasn't

Where in the shit have you been

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No.

I can't do this again

the dreams

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ack wrote: »
    no a game thats entirely micromanagement is actually pretty spergy

sperg is just a funny word its not all that bad :)

like "fag" heh

:...:

ack on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    134.png

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I never figured out how to play this game, but I still think this is hilarious even though it's 2 years out of date:
    http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php?title=Elephant&oldid=726

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was really hoping that this thread was about skeletal giant eagles so it could be vaguely about archaeology and thus I could talk about Henry Jones Jr.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is so much fun. So many updates in the last year.

NONE RELEASED THOUGH.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    wooops i'm watching the tutorials

ack on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    aha found it

the very moment I learned about elephants

DwarfFortress101.gif

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The new demons are generated out of a mash of body parts. It's awesome.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    The world generation is amazing.
    The Terror of Lambs was the name of a goblin civilization that arose in the Windy Land. They settled at a spot in the mountains which they called Urarstod, "Malignedlaw". Initially, they were equals, but within the year, the goblin Zom Hatredscourges intimidated the others with threats of violence and called herself "Law-Giver", assuming absolute authority over the others. The Palace of Nightmares was constructed, and Zom ruled from within, amusing herself with the jaguars she tamed from the dunes. Strangely, having big kitty cat friends was not enough, and war began with the elves within three years. Zom led a small band to attack their forest two times and was beaten back twice in personal combat with the elf Lapama Glimmerdrink, a hobbled cyclops hunter. The third attack, named The Brutal Assault by historians, was to be the last for Zom, killed and eaten by Lapama, who returned to cyclops hunting and died the next year.

The goblins were used to having a Law-Giver by this time, and Smunstu Staticsteal, a bear-lover who braved the tundra and elven forests for polar bears and black bears alike, rose to the position. The humans took advantage of Lapama's death and defeated the elves utterly during this time, and the goblins lived in peace for many years. A trade dispute with the dwarves brought war back to the Windy Land.

The goblins were winning, nearly taking the dwarven capital, when something horrifying emerged from the dunes. A shambling mound of vomit vaguely resembling a walking frog, it was Vim Forkedmarshes the Profane Nadir, mistress of torture and misery, emerged from the underworld. The demon challenged Smunstu's legitimacy as Law-Giver of the Terror of Lambs, and brought down her putrid fists on Smunstu's face three times, killing the unfortunate goblin. After a few years, Vim moved into the Immoral Tower in Terrorballs, a new settlement built near the ruins of the dwarven capital, which had fallen to the cyclops, Savot Seasonwill, the same beast who killed Lapama years before. Indeed, the cyclops problem was now the pressing issue for the goblins and their disgusting leader. Savot's pack of four attacked Terrorballs repeatedly, and Vim held twice, fighting off the beasts. In the end, Savot was victorious, and Terrorballs became another empty husk to match the dwarven ruins nearby. The goblins cowered in Malignedlaw while the humans eeked out an existence far away on the coast, besieged by ettins and a bronze colossus.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God help me I'm wondering if there is a df app

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    get this tileset, faglords. you just have to download that file there and I think the guy who made it is a forumer here for some reason maybe.

I've had df sitting in the top right of my desktop for several months now and had completely not noticed it, damn you. I've also just finished exams and need to get a job, but the dorfs...

[tiny]2cat[/tiny]

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    tilesets are for GAAAAAYYYSSS

Raneados on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    it was hard enough to learn how to play with the pretty pictures, fuck having letters for everything

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I can't really say

last time I played it didn't have a third dimension

but I had a friend come over while I was playing once and she did not know what the fuck

she asked me if I was writing code

it really gets to be like you're watching the matrix code
    you don't see the code
    just dwarves and the many deaths that befall them

I think I'll watch those tutorial videos tomorrow

Raneados on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I remember someone saying they were playing in a public library once.

And one of the librarians came over with a security guard because she thought he was "hacking".

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    funny, but at the same time not surprising.

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is so great.

Also holy crap that video teefs

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Love this game, man.

Nothing like building a fortress in a desert so hot that anything flammable immediately immolates under the summer sun. I ended up building special execution chambers for prisoners/nobles/terminally injured to be vaporized by a single beam of sunlight. Incredible challenge, only lasted ten years or so before I ran out of booze/water, with many of the dorfs sleeping on the floor for lack of wood.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1