As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I know that some devices in the past had problems with specific routers, for some reason.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PlasticLackPlasticLack Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Simpsonia wrote: »
    Lanz wrote: »
    Odd question: You can change the wallpaper on the home screen, right?

Yes, got to the gallery and when viewing a picture there will be an icon in the top left that says "set as" which you can choose wallpaper.

Easier: just long-click anywhere on the home screen (not on an icon or widget). A menu will pop up that lets you select a wallpaper from your saved pictures or pre-loaded wallpapers.

PlasticLack on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I asked this earlier but, does anyone know how to get ChompSMS now? It's not on the Market and downloading it from the site doesn't work either. I've tried Handcent SMS but I think I actually like the default better, outside of not listing the character count. but wanted to try out ChompSMS too.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Will Navigation work if you have no signal?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Yes, got to the gallery and when viewing a picture there will be an icon in the top left that says "set as" which you can choose wallpaper.

Side note is anyone having problems with getting the Droid connected to a protected WiFi router? Mine will connect to open routers just fine, but won't work with my WEP protected home router. I have added the Droid's mac address to the filter list. If I force the droid to use a static IP on the network it will connect, but the internet will not work (even if I force set the Droid's DNS to use my router IP.) If I let the droid try and acquire an IP from DHCP it will always fail.

thanks.

And hum, what Router are you using?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

You can. Under settings. I am posting on mine now, and I must say I am verry happy. The Mrs decided to get one too. Quite pleased so far. The keyboard IS usable but I kind of like the on-screen one. The vzw screen protectors as a bit too big though. ad have to go on just perfectly. Any other options?

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Zampanov wrote: »
    So if you go over the 5gb do they start charging, or is it capped? I'd personally rather have it cap than have the bastards start charging me stupid amounts.

Edit: And using Wi-Fi doesn't count toward the 5gb, right?
    Wifi doesn't count, and all they do is just slow your speed once you hit cap.

JAEF on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    The vzw screen protectors as a bit too big though. ad have to go on just perfectly. Any other options?
    Yeah VZW screen protectors are usually a smidge too large. Easiest thing to do is take tiny slices off the sides with a good pair of scissors (or one of those cutters at Kinko's or something.)

JAEF on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Will it be possible to buy a GSM Droid and use a T-Mobile USA SIM Card with the G1 Plus Unlimited Data/Text Plan?

Cause I would buy it in a second if I could.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Will it be possible to buy a GSM Droid and use a T-Mobile USA SIM Card with the G1 Plus Unlimited Data/Text Plan?

Cause I would buy it in a second if I could.

if you managed to import one, it'd probably work (like how they support unlocked iphones). you wouldn't have true 3G and the network coverage is going to be different from verizon, but I'd bet it'd function.

Kriz on
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hello thread, thanks to a variety of circumstances, both good and bad, I'm going to pick one of these up after work today or sometime tomorrow. Due to the wear-and-tear I've managed on my Razr, I am concerned for the well-being of my phone. Does anyone have recommendations for a case?

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Side note is anyone having problems with getting the Droid connected to a protected WiFi router? Mine will connect to open routers just fine, but won't work with my WEP protected home router. I have added the Droid's mac address to the filter list. If I force the droid to use a static IP on the network it will connect, but the internet will not work (even if I force set the Droid's DNS to use my router IP.) If I let the droid try and acquire an IP from DHCP it will always fail.

thanks.

A Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    pheknophekno Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

thanks.

A Buffalo WHR-HP-G54.

I have several of the exact same router running DD-WRT and I'm able to connect just fine. Mind you, I'm not using WEP or MAC filtering, but I am using WPA2 and it seems to work.

phekno on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hmmm, anyone else using WEP on their router and having connection troubles?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It works with WPA2? well I guess I'll switch over to that, I just held off because my roommate is only around at odd hours and would get mad if he couldn't connect.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I let it drain last night and after reecharging for a long while, with shit running, I have a ? Over the battery. Wtf? Oh, and GOG works on the browser so watch out bank account.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

It caches along your route, so you'd be able to continue navigating, but it would not be able to reroute you if you take a wrong turn/leave the precached area.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    This is crazy. I have an iHome. And I just at random set my Droid on top of it. On either side with the spinning dials for setup. Anyway when I look back the Droid is showing the landscape multimedia station screen. What the hell. I guess the magnets in the speakers or perhaps in the dials trigger it the same as what the multimedia dock does.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Another dumb question: if you list a contact's web site, how do you go to the site from the contact page?

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jonxp wrote: »

It caches along your route, so you'd be able to continue navigating, but it would not be able to reroute you if you take a wrong turn/leave the precached area.

So if I get lost in say the mountains, with no signal, I'm screwed. Hrm. That's less than helpful. Wonder if there will be a way to pre-cache an entire area, when you know it's gonna have spotty reception.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

So if I get lost in say the mountains, with no signal, I'm screwed. Hrm. That's less than helpful. Wonder if there will be a way to pre-cache an entire area, when you know it's gonna have spotty reception.

Well if you get no GPS signal it will make the best guess. But I do believe you can get GPS in the mountains beyond normal cell reception.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

Well if you get no GPS signal it will make the best guess. But I do believe you can get GPS in the mountains beyond normal cell reception.

IIRC, you can get the GPS satellite signals, but since the maps are not stored on the device, you'd just have a a location, but no reference to the surrounding area.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »

IIRC, you can get the GPS satellite signals, but since the maps are not stored on the device, you'd just have a a location, but no reference to the surrounding area.

Right, a GPS signal and no cell signal means it will be able to still give directions for whatever it has cached, but moving off path means it can only give you a vague location.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Picked it up today and am really liking it. Found an apparently called dockrunner that will switch it into media mode sense that's not built in like car mode

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm not sure whether I want one of these or an iPhone. I'm leaning towards an iPhone, but I wouldn't have to change carriers for this one.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So if I have multiple windows open in the browser, are all of them loading their pages or just the one on top? Also, what are some fancy and fun things I can do with this bluetooth?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    KevdogKevdog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I found a three-part video series that does a nice job comparing Droid and iPhone:

After playing with both, I ended up going with Droid based on crispness of text (which still amazes me), better Exchange support, and multitasking capability. Plus I'm not bought into the iTunes ecosystem so I wouldn't gain much from the integration there, and I don't foresee myself making heavy use of the camera (which is admittedly much weaker on Droid).

Kevdog on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for those videos! I've been looking for something like these, but hadn't had any luck.

After watching that I'm definitely siding more with the iPhone. Media is something that I'm really looking to upgrade for, and I use iTunes for all of my music on my Mac.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Nimble Cat wrote: »
    Thanks for those videos! I've been looking for something like these, but hadn't had any luck.

After watching that I'm definitely siding more with the iPhone. Media is something that I'm really looking to upgrade for, and I use iTunes for all of my music on my Mac.

The Droid is really, really lame with media. Most of my music is old ripped CDs, and I have something like 800 unrecognized artists. Also, about 10% of my music has been assigned an album cover from TLC - God knows why. I'm gonna have to do a ton of work if I want to use this thing as a music player, unless someone comes out with a good app store product.

That being said, my wife is just keeping her Nano for music, and I've never had an Ipod. We'll both be fine. Don't kid yourself, though, if you want media you want an iPhone.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

The Droid is really, really lame with media. Most of my music is old ripped CDs, and I have something like 800 unrecognized artists. Also, about 10% of my music has been assigned an album cover from TLC - God knows why. I'm gonna have to do a ton of work if I want to use this thing as a music player, unless someone comes out with a good app store product.

That being said, my wife is just keeping her Nano for music, and I've never had an Ipod. We'll both be fine. Don't kid yourself, though, if you want media you want an iPhone.

Why the hell do you think that an iSomething would properly tag your messy music collection? O_o

Impersonator on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Why the hell do you think that an iSomething would properly tag your messy music collection? O_o
    Also, maybe give tunewiki a spin. Really good about getting album art, and oddly, lyrics, karaoke style.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

iThingie has done an amazing job of doing just that for my wife, actually. Maybe more importantly, it doesn't make any WAGs and assume that all my unlabled songs are by the same artist. Or TLC.

I'll give TuneWiki a try. Thanks!

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Ok, TuneWiki is my hero. 2 minutes later and it organized everything amazingly well. It was able to do some extrapolation from my folder structure and lable things well. The only thing it did was occasionally list an artist twice, but that beats teh crap outta unknows from here to breakfast.

Great suggestion. Thanks a ton.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Holy fuck! I tried using Doubletwist to sync my music with my Droid. I locked up both my mac and my droid (had to pull the battery) and left me with a corrupt sd card, that i had to mount on a windows PC to get working again.

Has anyone else had such a complete and utter failure on Doubletwists part?

edit: google first, post second. plenty of people are, need to keep the droid from "sleeping" while syncing

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009

Yeah, I was definitely leaning towards an iPhone for that reason, and those videos really cemented my position.
    I'll probably still stop by a Verizon store to check one out though.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, I'm currently considering the Droid, a friend at work recently picked up the HTC Droid Eris which I plan to play with in a bit, and she says she likes it a lot more than the Motorola droid, primarily because of the extra screens. I'm not sure if that's something I really care about though, and the slide out physical keyboard seems like it'd be a really nice addition, on top of the whole actually being Android 2.0.

Anyways, I currently carry a cell phone (an old motorola v325) and an iPod touch, since I wasn't sold on the whole data plan thing and switching carriers, but I've been reconsidering it as my roommate has an iPhone and I'm constantly saying he should look up obscure stuff when we're out somewhere. If the music playing really is abysmal, I don't think I can really justify dropping bucks on it since I think I'd be better off with a smaller more minimal phone with a QWERTY keyboard and holding onto the iPod.

I've also been looking at the HTC Imagio and windows mobile in general, as I've heard it's a lot easier to develop for it, which I'm somewhat interested in, although I doubt I'd ever really do anything particularly useful with it. Then again, people seem to hate it, and I haven't had any experience with it since I used to borrow a friends old Dell Axim, which I quite liked.

TLDR; If I get a Droid, will I miss my ipod touch?

TehSloth on
    FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    TehSloth wrote: »
    So, I'm currently considering the Droid, a friend at work recently picked up the HTC Droid Eris which I plan to play with in a bit, and she says she likes it a lot more than the Motorola droid, primarily because of the extra screens. I'm not sure if that's something I really care about though, and the slide out physical keyboard seems like it'd be a really nice addition, on top of the whole actually being Android 2.0.

Anyways, I currently carry a cell phone (an old motorola v325) and an iPod touch, since I wasn't sold on the whole data plan thing and switching carriers, but I've been reconsidering it as my roommate has an iPhone and I'm constantly saying he should look up obscure stuff when we're out somewhere. If the music playing really is abysmal, I don't think I can really justify dropping bucks on it since I think I'd be better off with a smaller more minimal phone with a QWERTY keyboard and holding onto the iPod.

I've also been looking at the HTC Imagio and windows mobile in general, as I've heard it's a lot easier to develop for it, which I'm somewhat interested in, although I doubt I'd ever really do anything particularly useful with it. Then again, people seem to hate it, and I haven't had any experience with it since I used to borrow a friends old Dell Axim, which I quite liked.

TLDR; If I get a Droid, will I miss my ipod touch?

I have a Droid and I still use my iPod Touch. Since I had the Touch first and for longer then the Droid, trading everything wasn't really an issue for me. I also don't have any problems at all caring both devices with me, but I guess that's more of a personal preference then anything. I have some music on my Droid, but it's mostly just for the hell of it. It's not a terrible music player honestly, it's just not a very good one either. The external speaker on the Droid is pretty fantastic sounding considering, though. I also don't have an iPod Touch with the external speaker either so, yeah.

As for the first part between the Eris and the Droid, I don't find the 3 screen limit an issue whatsoever, but I'm also minimalist with the layout on my Droid. I also don't use many widgets either (not even a stupid clock, it's right in the corner, what's the point?). I have 4 icons on each of the 3 screens and just the Power Control widget on one. I don't honestly know what I would end up doing with 4 other screens. But that's just me. The QWERTY keyboard is nice to have, and the Droid is actually remarkably thin considering it does have one. This is my first Android phone so I can't really comment on the benefits of 2.0 over 1.5 with Sense UI. What really would sell you on the difference, that you might not think about, if price isn't an issue is the screen on the Droid. Everything is so remarkably clear and fonts are so crisp. It's really impressive.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So does android continue to load window a in the browser after I have switched to window b?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got my Droid today. I'm liking it a lot actually. I like the keyboard quite a bit too, which is why I went for the Droid over the Eris. I considered the iPhone for the longest time, but in the end I didn't want to switch to AT&T.

Geod on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got my Droid, loving it so far. it's a pain trying to figure out how set custom ring tones and message alerts. Actually, still haven't figured out how to set custom message alerts.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo