As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Using PS3 and DirecTV on the same TV

cooljammer00cooljammer00 HeySmall Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I wanna play some PS3 on the SDTV in my house (ole boxy CRT) but my DirecTV box is using the VGA (red, yellow, white) ports in the back of the TV, and there is only a secondary set of ports with only 2 ports, one for mono sound and another for video.

There are VGA ports on the back of my DirecTV box...I plugged the PS3 into there, just for kicks, and I'm not even sure what I expected to happen. Nothing, so far, but is there a way I can sort of use the box as a bridge to the TV?

Is there a way to do this besides just unplugging and plugging the box back into the TV every time I wanna play some games?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
cooljammer00 on

• UncleChetUncleChet N00b Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    They make source selector switches for RCA cables that you would hook up between your DTV/PS3/TV and then just push a button to change sources.

UncleChet on
    I'm sometimes grumpy and random, feel free to overlook the strange man in the corner.
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you have a DVD player/VCR you could try plugging into that.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    skeldare wrote: »
    If you have a DVD player/VCR you could try plugging into that.

I'm reading through the manual now and they seem to be working under the idea that a secondary VGA using machine, like a VCR, would be plugged into the back of the DTV box and work fine...only I don't know how I would get access to it or get it to show up on the TV.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Found this with a google search, not sure if it'd help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4510251_hook-up-video-games-directv.html

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Heh, I just saw that too. Doesn't seem to want to work. This TV is either too old or I just don't know how to switch between the VGA ports in the back. It has a button to go to VIDEO, but one press goes to VIDEO, another goes to channels.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    VGA is the wrong word.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • eternalbleternalbl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, that'd be composite connections. Manual switches are pretty cheap, like sub 20 bucks.

eternalbl on
    eternalbl.png
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're plugging into an "in" port on the back of the DTV box, and then it's going out to the TV, you'd obviously need to set the TV to see what's coming from the box (which it looks like it can do, that would be "video"), but you need the box to see what's coming from the in port and pass it along to the TV. That would be something you select from the DTV box. If you have the model number and the make we coudl probably find the manual for the box online.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    VGA is the wrong word.

Yeah, this is a VGA connector:

VGA%20plug.jpg

Sir Carcass on