As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May We Die In the Forest Inspired

OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
The tag line "May we die in the forest" was sort of funny, and one night messing around with Photoshop I decided to make a desktop background for the computers at my weekend job (can you guess what I do on the weekends?)

ValetDie3-1.jpg

WidescreenValetDie-1.jpg

I thought it was funny, but my boss disagreed and took it down when he first saw it a few days later. Seemed kind of a waste not to show it somewhere, so here it is!

OldSchoolChicken on

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should avoid using cheap photoshop effects. The papyrus font doesn't work at all.

Tam on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Papyrus. :evil:

EDIT: beat'd

Flay on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seriously, the fonts you used and that noise filter cheapened what was a fairly decent shield design.

Tam on
  • Options
    valerycevaleryce Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like the shield :>

valeryce on
    Art Blog!
    I like drawing, cartoons, cookies, and shiny pointy objects.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The noise is actually kind of confusing for me. I have no idea why it's there. Next to that, the fonts don't bother me nearly as much. It was a funny idea though, and I like the design of it otherwise.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    preaching to the choir here, get rid of the effects. all of them, including the embossing and the weird white spots on the shield. nice execution otherwise, though

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    OldSchoolChickenOldSchoolChicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wow, you actually get responses in this forum, I'll have to post here when I actually have something decent. Thanks for the comments.

One of the weird things about this one is that it actually looked good on the cheap ass monitors I had at work. At home here I have a Dell Ultrasharp (meh) and a really nice 24 inch Samsung, and these look like crap on them. Too bad there isn't any "cheap ass monitor" filter effect in photoshop, haha.

Thanks again

OldSchoolChicken on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    ?

I don't understand. 1. I've worked on cheap, non-LCD monitors, and the only differences were color. 2. If you did, why would you apply the noise filter anyways? [strike]3. And this sort of thing generally goes in the doodle thread.[/strike]

I'm sure the pun is great at work, but for an actual finished something, those colors are really abrasive on the eyes, and the background distracts from the design. Black and yellow generally equates to roads, bees, and signs, and means "warning." Calm down the colors and I wouldn't hate seeing it as a desktop.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Also where do you work that the valets are the ones handling the bell carts and not the bell men?

JohnTWM on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JohnTWM wrote: »
    Also where do you work that the valets are the ones handling the bell carts and not the bell men?

Because who wants to pay 2 people for a job that takes only 1?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    iglidanteiglidante Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I really think this kind of thing needs to be crisp, vector goodness - the noise and drop shadow only detract from it. And I second the dig against Papyrus. Also, the title-case doesn't really do it for me.

iglidante on