As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On] Final Fantasy 11! Wings of the Goddess annoncenced!

mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
New Expansion!
Not much about the new expansion is known except from what appears in this trailer on the official website:
(Link may have what some people consider spoilers)
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/altana/index.html
2007051215000024bigda3.jpg
2007051215000018bigoa6.jpg
2007051215000015bighp3.jpg

Information provided by Xhero.

What is Final Fantasy XI:

For those of you who don't know Final Fantasy XI is Square-Enix's MMO based on the Final Fantasy series. It is the first cross platform(PC,PS2,360) MMO where all platforms play on the same servers. Your character in FFXI can switch between 18 jobs from previous games (with the exception of the puppetmaster). There are also 5 races to choose from ranging in their natural stats and 3 starting nations.

The best way to describe FFXI is a standard MMO with a JRPG twist.

Races

As stated previously there are five races in FFXI. While all races can play each job effectivly, some races are better at some jobs than others. Bellow is a list brought to you courtesy of FFXIclopedia.

Humes

180px-Ffxi_fce_05l.jpg

Originating from the Bastok region, Humes are the most common race and have spread to the farthest reaches of Vana'diel. They are characterized by their equally balanced abilities, moderate intelligence, and high level of skill in numerous areas. This combination of traits has played a large role in Bastok's growth into a prosperous nation of technology and industry.

Galka
180px-Ffxi_fce_03l.jpg

The Galka are the second most physically powerful out of the playable races of Vanadiel, but are the most physically durable. They originated from the Altepa Desert of Zepwell Island, but their capital was destroyed by a race of ant-like beastmen six hundred years ago. What remained of the Galka were forced to take refuge in other parts of Vanadiel, with the majority moving to Bastok. Unfortunately for the Galka who moved to Bastok, the Humes that lived there decided to take advantage of their new neighbors' great strength. Many of the Bastokan Galka are now members of the Bastokan Military, or its mining force.
Although technically genderless, Galka are generally regarded as males. They reproduce through a form of reincarnation where an elderly Galka, feeling at the end of its lifespan, goes out into the wilderness and a young Galka returns.
It is not widely known what method, if any, the Galkan race has for dealing with decreases in number due to violent death or illness.
Elvaan

180px-Ffxi_fce_01l.jpg

A race of proud warriors, The Elvaan are the founders of two legendary orders of knights in the nation of San d'Oria. Physically, they are characterized by their tall, slender bodies and pointed ears. Their unshakable pride and faith in their beliefs is visible in each of their determined faces. Both males and females of the race excel in swordsmanship. Most Elvaan seem to eschew the business world, preferring an austere lifestyle as skilled swordfighters.
The Elvaan are the founders of three of Vanadiel's greatest Knightly Orders: the Royal Knights, which spawned the adventuring job of paladin; the Temple Knights, and their adventuring parallel, red mages; and finally the now-extinct Dragon Knights, still seen today in the faces of dragoons. The three orders were tasked with protecting San d'Oria, but adventurers have long since taken the tactics and abilities of the branches and made them their own.
This Race has excellent hearing, second only to that of the Mithra. Elvaan are physically the most powerful of the 5 races and the second most physically durable. They are extremely skilled with swords. Last, but not least, they are uncanny business men/women.
Mithra
180px-Ffxi_fce_06l.jpg

The Mithra are a predominantly female race of hunters who live alongside the Tarutaru in Windurst. They are easily identified by their characteristic ears, which give them spectacular hearing ability, and their long tails, which result in an unparalleled sense of balance. They are known for their energy, curiosity, and their penchant for causing playful mischief. The Mithra enjoy a friendly relationship with the Tarutaru, and this attitude of mutual cooperation has made Windurst a nation of peace and prosperity.

A race of humanoid cats. These cat-like people live alongside the Tarutaru in Windurst and in a small town of Kazham in the Outlands. Their home is somewhere far to the south (according to the Vana'diel Tribune and the Sin Hunters). Only females are allowed to hold positions of power and the freedom of travel. As such, only women are available as playable characters. Mithra men are only found on the mainland, it is speculated their freedom is limited either due to capitvity or slavery. Or it could be just that mithra men are pacifists unlike their adventurous women or they are just plain lazy. Mithra men cannot be found anywhere neither on the nation of Windurst nor on Kazham. The tails of the mithra give them an excellent sense of balance that no other race seems to be able to compare with. This gives them the highest dexterity and agility among the races of Vana'diel, however, due to their tribal hunter culture, their lack of social grace found in other races results in a penalty in their Charisma. Like all cats they have unbelievable energy, and sad to say curiosity. Being cats, Mithra are the only race able to eat raw-fish. Thanks to the friendly relationship with the Tarutaru (who many Mithra view as little brothers and sisters), Windurst enjoys a peace and prosperity that is only threatened by the Yagudo, with whom Windurst shares an uneasy truce.
Tarutaru
180px-Ffxi_fce_08l.jpg

The Tarutaru are a race of skilled magic users who call Windurst their home. Although the Tarutaru physically resemble children, their size does not reflect their age. Masters of the magical arts, the Tarutaru have honed their abilities through dutiful study of the world around them.
Their dedication and hard work fueled the rapid reconstruction of Windurst after its destruction in the Crystal War. The Tarutaru enjoy a friendly relationship with the Mithra, who call Windurst their home as well.
The Tarutaru are the most skilled race when it comes to the use of magic. They originated from the Windurst Region, and are the creators of the magical automations known as Cardians. Unlike most races, the size of a Tarutaru does not reflect its age. They are among the most dedicated, yet childish races of Vanadiel. They welcomed the Mithra into their home of Windurst at some point in history, and the two races have lived together in peace and harmony ever since. The only thing threatening that peace is a race of Beastmen that call themselves the Yagudo.
Tarutaru are unique in using a network of skilled mages for teleportation around their sprawling home, Windurst. Two brothers provide a similar service for the residents of Al Zahbi and Aht Urghan Whitegate.
A Tarutaru in Lower Jeuno, Parike-Poranke uses a unique form of "Brown Magic" to remove food effects.

The Nations
As stated above there are 3 starting nations to choose from. In addition, there are also 2 “hub” nations linking everyone together. While any race can start in any city, players can get a ring to boost their stats by a wee little bit if they choose the nation their race is native to.
Nm02.jpg

This steampunk city is home to humes, galkas, and Cid. The navigation is pretty easy and houses the smithing guild headquarters. It is also one of two nations that is closest to valkurm dunes(a starting area where people first start to party). Many people consider the gritty, industrial setting to be too ugly for their tastes, but as a fan of steampunk I am a citizen of Bastok.

Nm01.jpg

Typical fantasy setting with no shortage of elves. This city has the most guilds, somewhat close to the dunes and easiest to navigate. IMO the starting area also has the best music.

Nm03.jpg
A natural, druid like setting full of trees is home to the Tarutaru and the Mithra. It's the hardest to navigate and it's furthest away from the dunes. However, with these strikes against it, Windurst can be the best starting city for one reason:
necklace quest
Kill a bunch of yagudos when leveling up your first two jobs and do this quest about 50 times then thank me for the time I saved you. I'll talk about this more in a guide I'll write...

Jobs
You know what, I'm just going to post a link for now

Myths about FFXI

First of all there are few people who disagree that FFXI two years ago sucked. The game had an economy ruined by gilsellers who caused hyper inflation on “standard” and otkau who set the standard to gear dropped by mobs which spawned once in 3 hours or so and might not drop the sought gear. This situation still leaves a poor taste in FFXI vets. Let me state right now that the economy is fixed. SE has spent the past year or so banning gilsellers and fixing many exploits these guys would use. They also made these items harder to obtain thus lowering the standard. No one really gives a shit anymore that you spent an extra 500k gil for that +1 charisma (yes, a bard in an old linkshell actually spent this ridiculous amount of money then berated me for being a ninja without an emperors pin). Instead, people will just be thankful that you're playing the job they want. Now most elitism is based on the jobs (“loldrg, lolpup,lolthf”) while all of these jobs are fairly balanced.

Now I'm not saying that FFXI is for everyone. If you do not like JRPGs you will see this game as a “grind fest.” Sure, the grinding has been eased in recent years, but the game is focused on socializing and dungeon crawling. FFXI is an acquired taste.

Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
mrcheesypants on

• mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    reserved (Guide)

mrcheesypants on
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
    edited March 2007
    Roster:

At the moment here are the people playing that posted in the previous FFXI thread their character names and their server. I have not gotten to everyone yet so please be patient. There are a lot of people who decided to start on Asura but there was an old G&T linkshell in lakshami and those who are still around or might reactivate probably can help you out more than new characters. (shameless plug :-p)

Asura
    Skullie as Skullie
    Varega as (not reported)
    Meatflower as Draconis
    langfor6 as (not reported)
    lightor216 as (not reported)
    Retarted_Turkey as (not reported)
    SkannerJet as Ramiah

Lakshmi
    Mrcheesypants as Mrcheesypants
    Erickei as Erickei
    Arkady as (not reported)

Carbuncle
    Just_Bri_Thanks as Bri
    pb as Ancalaehte (inactive)
    Kingshand (inActive)

Bahamut
    Murphy as Murphie

Phoenix
    Evil_Pig as Karli

Valefor
    Al Baron as Albaronia

mrcheesypants on

Then I moved to Georgia.
    edited March 2007
    Oh and feel free to PM me about any changes you think I should make or to comment about my shitty grammar.

mrcheesypants on

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    PS: Bastok sucks Taru peen

Pb on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kingshand - Carbuncle - Inactive.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited March 2007
    Pb wrote: »

Oh how I wish I could change the Sandy music to the bastok music though.

My ears! They bleed!

The Dude With Herpes on

edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »

My ears! They bleed!

But the music in Ronfaru is awesome.

mrcheesypants on

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No one plays on Ramuh, so there's no point knowing my name.

DuskTwilight on
  • DeliasDelias Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not sure if I want to get back into FF11 or not, can't even recall my username or pass (Stopped playing 1 1/2 years ago) but I'm curious if it's changed. If they do a welcome back event or if I can get a trial pass I'll be happy to try it again with you all.

Delias on
    darleysam wrote: »
    Wrex has no problem taking cover. Cover has a problem taking Wrex.

SWTOR - Elysium
    League of Legends Handle - Siegfreid
    WoW - Siegfreid
    FFXIV - Maxim
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Varega - Varega on Asura. By the way, with the added people on asura, we should try to start up a linkshell. If anyone has the cash, send me a mail.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Some people were complaining about the FFXI interface, so I will break it down here to make it easy to understand. First, we have the right half of the keyboard. I have marked it up in MSpaint for reference:

interface.JPG

First, don't use the mouse at all. Ever.

You press the red button (pinky or ring finger) for your menu. Navigation inside the menus is done with the arrow keys (thumb) and the enter key (pinky)

The 8 key is for moving forward. You would use this key with your middle finger. Turning left and right is done with the 4 and six keys, using your index and ring fingers. I marked the seven key for autorun, and the / key for switching between running and walking.

Next we have the left side of the keyboard:

interface2.JPG

Targeting is done with the Tab and Escape key, marked in Black. You can make a macro to target specific things more quickly, I use one myself.

Speaking of Macros, you hold down the CTRL or the ALT key, and hit 1 through 0. You have 10 banks of keys in game, 20 keys per bank. Changing banks of hot keys is down by holding down the CTRL or ALT key and hitting the up or down arrows.

Really, that is all there is to it, unless you want to use a controller. I don't use one myself, but I hear it makes it a whole new game.

tl;dr: Move with the right hand, actions with the left hand. MENUs with the right hand.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • aettaett NorCalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Using a controller is SO much better, in my opinion. The game was really designed for it, after all.

Karnein on Valefor (for what it's worth)

Oh, and the music in Selbina is by far my favorite track in the game, and it ranks fairly high in my list of favorite game tracks.

aett on
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    aett wrote: »
    Using a controller is SO much better, in my opinion. The game was really designed for it, after all.

Karnein on Valefor (for what it's worth)

Oh, and the music in Selbina is by far my favorite track in the game, and it ranks fairly high in my list of favorite game tracks.

There's better zone music, in my opinion. I'm partial to Zi'Tah's theme.

Xhero on
    edited March 2007

My ears! They bleed!

But the music in Ronfaru is awesome.

You're right. I happen to like the music to Gustaberg better, but it's still good.

I was talking specifically about sandy though. Out of tune fanfares FTL!

The Dude With Herpes on

• MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I'm one of those few people who would disagree about the game sucking a couple of years ago. It is pretty much the same. Sure, the cost of items has changed, but the ability to make large amounts of gil has changed also. So it evens out.

Sandoria was my starting nation back in 2003, so I don't mind the bagpipes at all. It's all about the nostalgia.

Murphy on
    edited March 2007
    I love bagpipes. Bagpipes those are not.

It's really not hard to make money now though...well at least last summer and the economy was already drastically different then. Trade goods still sell, and sell well. Leveling 1-10 in sandy, if you focus on fire crystal mobs, by the time you're 10,11, you can/will have a hefty amount of cash. In Saruta, farm silk, and in gustaberg, you can farm honey and/or wax and sell them in Sandy for a good amount.

Anyway; overall though, yes, it's the same game. A lot of things have improved, little, if anything, has gotten worse. Some would argue that it couldn't get worse but I had fun when it was released (PC) in the states, so the things that I liked then are just better now.

But I don't think anyone is trying to say that FFXI is a game for the masses. It's a very "harsh" MMO, and it appeals to a different type of player. It's not a mass appeal game like WoW or CoX, which is neither good nor bad, it just is.

The Dude With Herpes on

• JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am thinking of playing this game. Is there anything I should know about it in particular starting out?

James on
    edited March 2007
    Jameserson wrote: »
    I am thinking of playing this game. Is there anything I should know about it in particular starting out?

Yeah.

Take it on it's own merits and don't try to compare it to other MMO's (WoW). It's not them and doesn't want to be them.

Give it the time it needs. You won't be doing everything and have it all figured out in a few hours, or even a few days.

Be patient. It can be annoying as hell to be LFG for an hour; but the feeling of being in an awesome PT totally makes up for it. Find a book to read or something while you're LFG. It could be 5 minutes, it could be longer.

Try to ignore all the haters and cynics about FFXI. Obviously their opinion isn't any less valid than someone that loves the game, but pissing and moaning has a lot stronger effect on most peoples attitudes than praise. There were times when I've totally hated MMO's I played, not because anything was wrong with the game, but because I'd hang out in official forums during the day and those places are cesspools. Regardless, all the whining started to effect my view unintentionally and things that I never bothered with before started staring me in the face and I couldn't ignore it.

Don't train. Unless you're really close to a zone border, just take it like a man and die. There's no reason to potentially take down other players minding their business because you don't want to lose a couple hundred easily made up XP. There's nothing more irritating than zoning into Valk from Selbina only to find some people trained two bogeys and 10 tinks to the border squashing anyone unlucky enough to pop up.

Use a controller. It makes a million worlds of difference.

Have fun.

The Dude With Herpes on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Jameserson wrote: »

Always get a 10% exp buffer before leaving a group.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Don't train. Unless you're really close to a zone border, just take it like a man and die. There's no reason to potentially take down other players minding their business because you don't want to lose a couple hundred easily made up XP. There's nothing more irritating than zoning into Valk from Selbina only to find some people trained two bogeys and 10 tinks to the border squashing anyone unlucky enough to pop up.

This really isn't possible any more. They made changes to how creature agro works to prevent players from intentionally or otherwise killing each other with monsters. Run to your heart's content now, once the creature moves far enough from it's spawn point and it's agro threshhold drops low enough it will simply despawn, provided someone doesn't activly work to peel it off of you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited March 2007
    Ok guys I just got back from a college visit so I'm going to add the guide for beginners real soon.

mrcheesypants on

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Heya ladies and gents. Im jumping back into FF and was wondering what server would be best for hopping on to. I ask in reference to any PA Linkshells that might be running. I left a while ago and have few real life friends still playing so finding a good group of people would be great. Thanks.

SkannerJAT on
  • JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    SkannerJAT wrote: »
    Heya ladies and gents. Im jumping back into FF and was wondering what server would be best for hopping on to. I ask in reference to any PA Linkshells that might be running. I left a while ago and have few real life friends still playing so finding a good group of people would be great. Thanks.

Looks like Asura has two PA people on it.

I'll let you guys know which one me and my bro jump on.

James on
  • EricKeiEricKei Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Quick Addendum - Always have Signet on. It's a free enhancing "buff" from the guys next to all gates out of town, and it's free. Talk to the guys with things like W.W or T.K. after their names. Without this, you get none of those crystals which were mentioned before; said crystals are a major source of income for low level players.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    Goozex referral pimp sig, click Spoiler to see it.
    EricKei.png
  • XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    EricKei wrote: »
    Quick Addendum - Always have Signet on. It's a free enhancing "buff" from the guys next to all gates out of town, and it's free. Talk to the guys with things like W.W or T.K. after their names. Without this, you get none of those crystals which were mentioned before; said crystals are a major source of income for low level players.

Signet is even more important now than it was, since it gives you an Evasion and Defense boost against Even Match and lower mobs.

Kind've balancing the formula, so to speak.

Xhero on
  • SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    K, Im back in on Asura, Ramiah be the name.

Edit: I cant believe Im saying this but Im actually looking forward to the dunes. Just to party again.

SkannerJAT on
  • BruanBruan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    can 360 users play with PC users?

Bruan on
    Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
    edited April 2007
    Bruan wrote: »
    can 360 users play with PC users?
    Yes, Bruan, all players play on the same servers -- so, people from the PC, 360, and PS2 versions all play FFXI together.

EricKei on
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them, the rest of us could hardly succeed." ~ Mark Twain
    EricKei.png
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, we all play on the same servers. I know a lot of friends who have both a PS2 and PC account, and they sometimes log two characters on at once and dual box that way.

Makes me wish I had a 360, to be honest. :(

Murphy on
  • skullieskullie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I can't review my billing at the moment, but I'm worried that I was billed $13 for like, a week of play last month since I registered late, and then $13 for this month as well. Is this really what happened? I thought they used to charge by the day basically if you registered near the end of the month.

skullie on
    edited April 2007
    skullie wrote: »
    Well, I can't review my billing at the moment, but I'm worried that I was billed $13 for like, a week of play last month since I registered late, and then $13 for this month as well. Is this really what happened? I thought they used to charge by the day basically if you registered near the end of the month.

Yes, they prorate for the amount of time you are actually subscribed. When I first started the billing cycle, I was charged between 3 and 5 dollars.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited April 2007
    They only prorate the first month after your free subscription ends. After that, they bill you the full monthly price, no matter when in the month you reactivate. It's frustrating, but that's just how SE does it.

Murphy on
  • skullieskullie Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Murphy wrote: »
    They only prorate the first month after your free subscription ends. After that, they bill you the full monthly price, no matter when in the month you reactivate. It's frustrating, but that's just how SE does it.

Yeah, I just managed to get into the billing review and saw I was charged $25 for this month as well as the 8 days or so I played last month. What a fucking ripoff - it really makes me lose my drive to play.

skullie on
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Since I can't do my Buddy Pass thing at the moment due to Registration Server Maintenance, a few questions:

1) What happens if I quit FFXI in the middle of the trial? Will I still get to play for the remainder of the time?
    2) If I do end up buying the full game, how do I get the expansion packs? Like, could I just add on the code from the Vana'diel Collection 2007 to my Buddy Pass account?
    3) And what if I do the above a month or two after my trial? How will this prorate business affect me?

Also, hi aett.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Karli Phoenix Active.

Add me up there :)

Evil_Pig on
    edited April 2007
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Since I can't do my Buddy Pass thing at the moment due to Registration Server Maintenance, a few questions:

1) What happens if I quit FFXI in the middle of the trial? Will I still get to play for the remainder of the time?
    2) If I do end up buying the full game, how do I get the expansion packs? Like, could I just add on the code from the Vana'diel Collection 2007 to my Buddy Pass account?
    3) And what if I do the above a month or two after my trial? How will this prorate business affect me?

Also, hi aett.

1) No, the time is 30 days flat, even if you don't play once during those 30 days. So don't activate it until you know you'll have time. It's not 30 days of /played.
    2)Yeah. You just go into your account in POL and add the keys that come with whatever copy you buy.
    3)Since you're not actually paying for the buddy pass, I'm pretty sure the first month will be prorated when you start paying, the second month will be full (square processes at the end of the month, not when you subscribed like most games). After that, as stated above, if you cancel and come back 6 months later on say the 20th, when you're charged on the 30th or whatever, you'll be charged the full $25 or whatever for 2 months. Kind of stupid, though if the extra couple bucks matters that much to you I'm sure you could call SE and bitch, they might refund you a little bit.

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2007
    Ah, man. I just found this on my server from when a Taru used to be my FFXI guy (square deleted him :(). Makes me want to start a taru if I come back...but I had so much money and stuff into my Elvaan.

FFXI_Porkchops_Sig.jpg

The Dude With Herpes on

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hm. So is there a good time of the month to start my billing cycle or am I going to get caught on that prorate business no matter what?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2007
    Yer caught on prorate regardless...But they usually bill on the second or so. This would be the time to sign up if you want to get a full month's play out of it.

EricKei on
    EricKei.png
    edited April 2007
    yeah, first half of the month for sure to get your moneys worth.

The Dude With Herpes on

This discussion has been closed.