As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Giant glass mug cracked! Safe to drink!?

kathoskathos Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I got my dad a giant A&W mug (those big glass ones) a few years ago and he'd been drinking out of it ever since. He loves that godamned thing.

A few days ago he left it in the living room and there was a little bit of juice left, it... congealed. So I thought "BLAST IT WITH HOT WATER!" so I did, and then to put in some cold water-....

*crack*

Yup. Cracked. I felt around and the cracking is on the inner part of the glass (I mean like, INSIDE the glass, you can see the cracks but can't feel them).

Is it safe to drink out of or should I go try to find an A&W that still sells these things? (My answer is no-drink but I don't know if they still sell these things, I haven't seen an A&W since I bought that glass)

I've kept it in my room (he's visibly upset and might 1% chance still try to drink out of it) just in case.

Brlito.png
kathos on

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I would definitely throw the mug out and try to find a new one. It couldn't be that hard.

zilo on
  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, think of it this way. 12 bucks plus S and H is probably cheaper than a potential hospital visit. Just be safe.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ever seen the show Oz? The prisoners kill each other by putting tiny bits of glass in the food, which wreak havoc with the digestive system. Clearly that is the exact thing that will happen here. ;-)

But actually, yeah, just find a duplicate. The internet is great for stuff like that.

Saddler on
  • Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Never drink from a broken glass, that's just common sense. Even if glass isn't breaking off the thing, the tiniest of cracks and fractures can slice a person's lip up.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a teenager I used to always eat in at A&W then walk out with my awesome big glass mug.

Built up a nice collection. I doubt an A&W employee is likely to say anything even if they do notice.

Is there even a notice saying that the mugs aren't for the taking?

Funguy McAids on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    As a teenager I used to always eat in at A&W then walk out with my awesome big glass mug.

Built up a nice collection. I doubt an A&W employee is likely to say anything even if they do notice.

there doesn't need to be a notice saying NO STEALING in every restaurant you enter

please do not advocate stealing, thanks

Raneados on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

there doesn't need to be a notice saying NO STEALING in every restaurant you enter

Plus, in my experience, they use plastic mugs now.

Sir Carcass on
    edited November 2009
    Raneados wrote: »

Plus, in my experience, they use plastic mugs now.

Well this was in Canada where they still often have the glass ones.

Root Beer is awesome in a frosty glass mug.

Funguy McAids on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Please to be using the report thread system guys but also yes I don't know how well the defence of "well no one told me not to" would work. Plus it's like totally cool to just steal shit instead of paying right

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In all fairness tons of restaurants offer kitschy glasses or plastic cups that you get to keep afterwards. it is totally not unreasonable to think you could keep the glass. especically when everything else you order comes in a disposable container.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
    edited November 2009
    It's a two dollar rootbeer served in an obviously expensive, heavy glass mug. Guess what, if you eat in for breakfast they give you metal utensils and real plates. Are those free with the four dollar breakfast? That's not reasonable, that's stretching to justify behaviour that you know was reprehensible. And that's also now a dead tangent.

Buy a new mug. Broken glass is bad for you. If you steal shit, you suck.

Pheezer on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In all fairness tons of restaurants offer kitschy glasses or plastic cups that you get to keep afterwards. it is totally not unreasonable to think you could keep the glass. especically when everything else you order comes in a disposable container.

There's a bit of difference between a trashy plastic cup and big honking glass mug.

And yeah, never drink out of a cracked glass, just chuck it out, or use it as a pen holder or something, and hit up your local A&W to see if they sell the mugs.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pheezer wrote: »
    It's a two dollar rootbeer served in an obviously expensive, heavy glass mug. Guess what, if you eat in for breakfast they give you metal utensils and real plates. Are those free with the four dollar breakfast? That's not reasonable, that's stretching to justify behaviour that you know was reprehensible. And that's also now a dead tangent.

Buy a new mug. Broken glass is bad for you. If you steal shit, you suck.

My bad.
    You see I have never been to an A&W.
    I did not realize that these were obviously quality items we were talking about here.

on topic: bad glass is bad. I think the rule of thumb with all glass eatery is, if it cracks, throw it away!

though the pen holder idea is not a bad one if you're a fan of the franchise.

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Corvus wrote: »

There's a bit of difference between a trashy plastic cup and big honking glass mug.

And yeah, never drink out of a cracked glass, just chuck it out, or use it as a pen holder or something, and hit up your local A&W to see if they sell the mugs.

I was in an A&W a week ago and they were. Just find a freestanding one that's not part of a mall and you should be good.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I know my local one sells them, so you should be fine.

Phil G. on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Another question that might be worth asking is if your dad's attached to the idea of a big glass mug or specifically an A&W one. I bought a big glass mug in the same style from a restaurant supply store for about $2.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited November 2009
    I can almost guarantee it's that it's an A&W mug. Don't throw it out, he may still wish to keep it on display, but buy a new one.

Pheezer on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Eating small pieces of glass will not harm you too much, this is how side show performers are able to munch on light bulbs, but why deal with that? It clearly looks broken and now has new stress points.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well, the side show performers actually chew on the glass to make the edges rounded so they don't puncture their internal organs. They know what they're doing... to accidentally swallow a sliver of pointed glass would be a terribly bad thing.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's really more of making it as fine as possible I do believe. This comes from some experience with side show performers. I am open to being wrong on this particular feat though.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
    edited November 2009
    Ok i'd just like to say that I thought saying as a teenager was enough to indicate that it was an immature move because i was a 'teenager' at the time. That was 10 years ago and I wouldn't do it now, nor recommend it.

I thought people would automatically correlate teenager with acts of wrongness and stupidity.

I should've explicitly stated not to steal.

Funguy McAids on
    edited November 2009
    This thread is pretty far off topic and I think the point is clear:
    Don't use a broken mug, replace it by some means that don't involve just taking one from the restaurant.

Pheezer on
This discussion has been closed.