As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Started a thing for a pal:

hally_vara_garden.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    squidbunny:
    oh... oh god, is that... is that one of the first quests in elwynn forest?
    because if it is, hoo boy ... you get all my love.

beavotron on
    edited November 2009
    Good eye, Beavo.

My pal (right, white linen robe) is a human Holy priest; I played (until eventually quitting over summer) a Forsaken shadowpriest. I'm making her a pair of geeked-out, vaguely narrative pictars -- this one suggesting we completed our early priesthoods together at Northshire, the second showing off her ridiculous 2800 spellpower epics smacking down my then-undead self. I am a sport like that.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    there's a pretty big part of me that really hates the fact that i know what quest you are doing in that scene.

beavotron on
    edited November 2009
    There's a pretty big part of me that loves this fact.

Also, suddenly Christmas.

Oh God hijacking doodle thread for yammering sorry.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Squid post more again

RubberAC on
  • WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    PC3v4.jpg

WastingPenguins on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There needs a bit more scrunch in the ab muscles for the pose to work. Wouldn't hurt to lengthen the torso a tad to boot, but let's not get picky here.

Godfather on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think your humanoids are getting 'overposed' WastingPenguins. Its getting to the point where its not dynamic, its just overly contorted.

Wassermelone on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    also: the spear thing is making the already awkward poses stand out even more. i think it was said before that its standing straight up while the figures are completely loose, and that you should move it around to accommodate the pose. or if you're so heavily set on having the spear stand straight you should balance out the pose more-for instance, if you moved the devil character's left leg out and straightened it then his kind of useless arm would turn into an inviting gesture rather than a random addition to a crazy pose

mensch-o-matic on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If that's a dude demon, then he's got slamman' hips and ass. This makes me ashamed of myself.

Also the angle of the weapon seems way too rigidly straight compared to the curvaceous pose of the body.

earthwormadam on
    edited November 2009
    To be honest it the pose eerily reminds me of some Bridgeman studies in the box form/rhythm section.

Not calling his bluff or nothin', just pointin' out a resemblance.

Godfather on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    You ever seen a non-contorted demon wasser? What do proper demons look like? The spawn of satan dont follow the rules man.

:D

deadlydorito on
    edited November 2009
    Godfather wrote: »
    To be honest it the pose eerily reminds me of some Bridgeman studies in the box form/rhythm section.

Not calling his bluff or nothin', just pointin' out a resemblance.

hehe yeah this came from a page of bridgeman copies. Sorry I shoulda said that. I picked up the habit of turning studies into little characters like Ikage's been doing in her thread, I just took this one a little further than usual. I just wanted to throw some colors down on something cuz I've barely touched a color in like two months.

The characters a page or two back were from imagination, and it prolly shows.

WastingPenguins on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, bridgeman's book is excellent for studies, but he tends to cycle over the same six poses with slight tweaks and alterations, and tends to stack his figures past realistic portions in order to hammer the point across that he's trying to make.

Godfather on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rawr...another skull.

Here_Be_A_Skull__WIP__by_Buckwolfe.png

Reference top left
    Human_Skull_2_by_rgstock777.jpg

Buckwolfe on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should probably at least roughly sketch in the proportions before going to deep into values.

another thing not finished.
    pic162.jpg

wakkawa on
    edited November 2009
    The way you rendered the torso is so well done it's frightening, but what happened to the rest of her jaw line?

It's a little off-putting.

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    That's one of the areas I was having a harder time on. The arm with the knife and also the other hand are the others.

wakkawa on
    edited November 2009
    That is a bit of a tricky angle for the skull, especially with that light source hitting right where the jaw would be defined.

Godfather on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the face looks too big... and I think it's making it look like the rest of her skull is missing.

JohnTWM on
    edited November 2009
    versus.png

just curious: are my images too large for comfort? i tend to go for around 100kbs a pic (more when posting to DA) and i'm not sure if that's the norm, or if i should go smaller

mensch-o-matic on
    edited November 2009
    arrh:

xrt9d.jpg

WastingPenguins on
  • CharisCharis Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sorry WastingPenguins, but your poses are starting to get a little ridiculous. As least in the way they're matching up with your images. Is that man dancing with the key, or just pelvis-thrusting it with a contemptuous look on his face?

Charis on
    edited November 2009
    lol haha. Man I dunno. Is it that bad? The idea was that he's leaning, gesturing back toward the locked chest...

okay okay you got me it's a pelvic thrust

WastingPenguins on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    tonight's 3-hour "doodle": keanu reeves, john constantine

Snapshot_20091115.jpg

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    although it's really 'keanu reeves in 99% of his roles'

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited November 2009
    lol haha. Man I dunno. Is it that bad? The idea was that he's leaning, gesturing back toward the locked chest...

okay okay you got me it's a pelvic thrust

Yeah, it's getting a little out of hand now.

There isn't a single good reason why your characters are doing any of these poses in these last two. Nobody stands like that man, what the goof. The feet aren't even planted properly on the ground so he looks like he's about to topple over backwards, like a stiff wind could bowl him over.

Bridgeman studies are cool, but you shouldn't actually use any of his poses unless you really know what you're doing, because most of the time it's just going to look awkward. It's very rare to see an artist who makes Bridgeman poses work, and most of the time they take pieces of the pose rather than outright copying it.

They're more helpful for understanding a concept rather than actual use.

Godfather on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Need to learn to resolve the image from macro to detail

34t5wrn.jpg

Tam on
  • AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    just curious: are my images too large for comfort? i tend to go for around 100kbs a pic (more when posting to DA) and i'm not sure if that's the norm, or if i should go smaller

Don't worry about it, people know this will be an image heavy thread. You could go twice that big and nobody would care.

Agentflit on
    edited November 2009
    Bridgeman studies are cool, but you shouldn't actually use any of his poses unless you really know what you're doing, because most of the time it's just going to look awkward. It's very rare to see an artist who makes Bridgeman poses work, and most of the time they take pieces of the pose rather than outright copying it.

Well, only the devil guy was even based on a bridgeman pose. The rest were all 100% invented (though perhaps a bit influenced, considering how much bridgeman I've been drawing). Point taken, thanks guys! 8-)

WastingPenguins on
    edited November 2009
    The rendering on that lizard man has that kinda computer generated look. Coming out nicely, though the wrinkles in the sleeves are a bit weird.

pic162_2.jpg
    the jawline looking better in this? I woke up this morning and looked at the old one and was terrified.
    http://wakkawa.iseenothing.com/pictures/pic162.jpg

wakkawa on
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Well, only the devil guy was even based on a bridgeman pose. The rest were all 100% invented (though perhaps a bit influenced, considering how much bridgeman I've been drawing). Point taken, thanks guys! 8-)

You should temper your Bridgman (no e!) with Loomis and actual figure drawing.

*edit
    I did a little paintover. Its a hard area to do and I certainly can't draw the ladies like you, but I hope this helps.

wakkawalady.jpg

Wassermelone on
    edited November 2009
    gotta agree with Wasser. Gives me a sense of the underplane of the jaw.

WastingPenguins on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    waka, didn't you say you're putting out a second book? or that you're changing how you publish your current one?

because i kinda want it, but i know you said you don't get that much turnover from Lulu

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    face

face1.jpg

Obilex on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Them's some dry lips.

DeeLock on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Them's some tired eyes.

Tam on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    She just got back from a really long days hike in the desert :P ,when i get some time i'm gonna go back and use some reference for those areas.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Obilex on
    edited November 2009
    Agentflit wrote: »

Don't worry about it, people know this will be an image heavy thread. You could go twice that big and nobody would care.

ah, thanks!

mensch-o-matic on
This discussion has been closed.