As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Zeppel-On] The Saboteur: French star nipples and Nazi racing on Dec. 8

• JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But this game is still on track, right?

JohnDoe on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    i saw a video of this game on youtube, a train ride or something. It looked like a very, very very very very sub-par version of uncharted2. Although im sure it has its saving graces.

right?

deadlydorito on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think this looks kind of fun, but Mercenaries 2 and that LotR game were pretty dire. And there are racing missions, which is rarely a good thing.

But it's a pretty damn good take on a WW2 game. I guess I have to hope for a demo?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No demo, according to the PS3 blog comments. Someone comments how they are reluctant to buy Saboteur seeing as there is no demo and it's a new IP, and the dev doing the diary doesn't correct him when he replies directly to his comment.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got to play a few missions of this at PAX, and if you've played Mercenaries and can reasonably imagine how they would develop this idea, you don't really need a demo. Here's some impressions:

Tighter shooting that Mercs 1/2, cover system/restoring health (Yay for industry norms) and good, busy city layout you'd expect from Paris. Enemy variety is closer to "interesting gameplay" than "realism" by a good stretch. The enemies are fierce enough that you'll want to partake in the covert aspects, or be quite good at the combat.

Can't comment on the graphics quality, as I'm pretty sure the build was far from finalized in terms of rendering/Anti-Aliasing. The black/white/splash color style is well executed, but after games like Uncharted 2, I wonder if I won't get really tired of slogging around in B/W whenever I'm in enemy territory. The driving took a bit to get used to, but that's the case with essentially every non-racing game with cars I can think of when starting out.

Final verdict for me? It's a game I want to play the hell out of, but it's taking a backseat to Mafia II and Red Dead Revolver for sure. Which reminds me, I should make a Mafia II thread...

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Giga GopherGiga Gopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That sounds promising, but this game comes out in december; well before mafia 2 and red dead revolver. Why would it have to take a back seat?

Giga Gopher on
    My friend's band - Go on, have a listen
    Cannon+Goose.png
    Oh it's such a nice day, I think I'll go out the window! Whoa!
  • wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That sounds promising, but this game comes out in december; well before mafia 2 and red dead revolver. Why would it have to take a back seat?

I was going to cite reasonable budget, but my mistake, I thought those were all Q1 2010 games.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Assassin's Creed in WW2 Paris. Sounds interesting.

I'll likely wait on a few reviews for more info on whether this will suit me or not, but my interest has definitely been piqued.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sure, this thread is like 5-6 months old but who cares.

It would seem this game has little to no buzz on this forum despite the fact that it looks pretty fun. It's coming out pretty soon (December 4) and from the look of recent videos I'll probably buy it.

Here's a quick look from Giant Bomb http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-the-saboteur/17-1597

My problem with it is that the more things I see about it, the more it seems like just every other sandbox shooter. I was hoping the whole Nazi controlled/non-controlled thing was organic. Not just finish mission X-Y-Z and now it is in color!

So it goes on my back list for sandbox shooters. Which means I'll end up buying it used in a year for 20 dollars.

AZChristopher on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I was looking forward to it, but the Giantbomb quick look makes it look really janky and half-finished. The animation alone is cringeworthy.

Still digging the concept, though I really think the occult angle that they mention is only going to make the game less interesting. Shit is so played out at this point that I'm actually craving something that at least remains plausible. It's Silent Storm all over again.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WMain00 wrote: »
    WMain00 wrote: »
    Ooh that looks good.

Except...is that lasers? Coming off that helicopter?

THE NAZIS DIDN'T HAVE LASERS!!

Or helicopters!

Or imaginary screenshots!

Or naughty french women?

Hornycaust denier.

Technically, the Nazis did have helicopters.

They flew one inside a stadium in Berlin! At least, I think it was Berlin.

Game looks cool. I suppose.

Synthesis on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I was looking forward to it, but the Giantbomb quick look makes it look really janky and half-finished. The animation alone is cringeworthy.

Still digging the concept, though I really think the occult angle that they mention is only going to make the game less interesting. Shit is so played out at this point that I'm actually craving something that at least remains plausible. It's Silent Storm all over again.
    I liked the Quick Look.

Fencingsax on
  • KivutarKivutar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This looks... incredibly similar to Velvet Assassin.

Kivutar on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    why can't people just do a historical fucking piece of work without feeling the urge to "up the ante" or whatever ridiculous rationalization they have for forcing in aliens or witches or demons or time travel or sci fi technology or whatever the fuck

it really makes it look trashy

Evil Multifarious on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    why can't people just do a historical fucking piece of work without feeling the urge to "up the ante" or whatever ridiculous rationalization they have for forcing in aliens or witches or demons or time travel or sci fi technology or whatever the fuck

It looks like they are more going to go with V2-type WW2 hypothetical tech. Steelpunk?

Fencingsax on
  • AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rumor is that Pandemic is no more.

http://kotaku.com/5406449/rumor-rip-pandemic-studios-1998+2009
    Though still unconfirmed, according to our sources almost all of the studio's staff (around 200 people) in Los Angeles are to be laid off today, with those few remaining to be incorporated into other Electronic Arts development teams. The move is expected to be announced to Pandemic staff at 11 a.m. PT.

I remember seeing quite a few commercials for Mercenaries 2 and LoTR: Conquest. I think this about confirms that EA is sending Saboteur to die.

AZChristopher on
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So...

Pandemic merges with Bioware in order to form an alliance to protect themselves from being taken over and dissected by the big boys.

Pandemic-Bioware is then consumed by EA, nevertheless.

EA reassures us that "Hey, we're not like that anymore" when it comes to buying studios and then promptly gutting them.

Pandemic is then gutted.

THAT BEING SAID, these are extraordinary times. EA is bleeding money. Pandemic hasn't been cranking out many winners. EA's move may be one more of survival than indifference.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Aw, I hope this doesn't die. It looks good.

And I am fucking fascinated by Hitler's obsession with the occult, so the more we explore that the better in my opinion.

SniperGuy on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

It looks like they are more going to go with V2-type WW2 hypothetical tech. Steelpunk?

Wait, what? When did this happen?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    This game looks amazing.

I did see a preview of this in a PC Gamer about 2 years ago though lawl.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »

And I am fucking fascinated by Hitler's obsession with the occult, so the more we explore that the better in my opinion.

Occult Nazis can be handled by Hellboy games. Everyone else can fuck right off. Actual historical games are a rare breed in video games. I would love to see something more realistic.

PolloDiablo on
  • MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So is Saboteur coming out still?

God I hope Pandemic doesn't die.... shit! I hope Bioware absorbs them. With Bioware's design and writing staff, you could get some great games.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    The Kotaku bit said they were handing it off to the Army of Two devs.

PolloDiablo on
  • chevluhchevluh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Occult Nazis can be handled by Hellboy games. Everyone else can fuck right off. Actual historical games are a rare breed in video games. I would love to see something more realistic.
    Except the way resistance is handled here is anything but realistic, as amused french gaming sites point out. French resistants, even the ones imported from ireland, didn't run around in Paris punching nazis and blowing up tanks, they mostly organized strikes and printed newspapers, and removed bolts from train track because it was more efficient than blowing them up. The actual assassinations in 41 met with such reprisals they stopped them fairly soon.

Their real contribution was as an intelligence network, not as saboteurs.

chevluh on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No, Pandemic is indeed shutting down it's doors. Someone who used to work there told me last night.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I guess that's why you run around as a smokin, drinkin, womanizin, race car drivin' Irishman and not a french guy.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Wait, what? When did this happen?

In the giantbomb quick look, they asked about the occult, and they said they were kinda gonna go in that direction, but the weapons would be more "grounded", like the
    siege cannon
    that was the objective at the time.

Fencingsax on
    edited November 2009
    chevluh wrote: »

Except the way resistance is handled here is anything but realistic, as amused french gaming sites point out. French resistants, even the ones imported from ireland, didn't run around in Paris punching nazis and blowing up tanks, they mostly organized strikes and printed newspapers, and removed bolts from train track because it was more efficient than blowing them up. The actual assassinations in 41 met with such reprisals they stopped them fairly soon.

Their real contribution was as an intelligence network, not as saboteurs.

Maybe I'm just a masochist, but that's what I want. I've done the one-man army thing a million times. I want a game where if a soldier finds me, I have to hope he didn't see my face, or win a bloody, drawn-out, brutal, fist fight. I want to fear.

PolloDiablo on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iriah wrote: »
    Iriah wrote: »
    a ww2 game that is not an fps? With a cool premise and a use of the period beyond Americans shooting Axis forces worldwide? a main character with actual... distinction?

moderate critical success, commercial flop

Why are you so bitter, Iriah.

because Troika dissolved before they could make their source engine sequel to Arcanum

:cry:

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That preview said no occult, btw. The guy asks about the occult, and the dev audibly cringes. What he replies is saying that they'll have more stuff like the crazy experimental stuff the nazis were rumoured to have.

Like, say, the anti-aircraft railguns that never quite got built, for example.

However, if they're dead...

SilkyNumNuts on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Fuck Hellboy, the whole occult Nazi thing has been done to death entirely. The field needs to be allowed to sit fallow for ten years or so, and then they can resume.

Yes, I am still eagerly awaiting Silent Hunter V. And terrified to death that it will die in development.

Synthesis on
  • Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game has been on my radar for a while.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the turnaround generally on a game when it switches developers midway (3/4s way?) through production?

Expect delays?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What's the turnaround generally on a game when it switches developers midway (3/4s way?) through production?

Expect delays?

It's coming out Dec. 8 so it's already done.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Drunken BastardDrunken Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crap, that game will never come out in Germany.

Too much Swastikas and other Nazi symbolysm - never mind you actually KILL the fuckers.

Drunken Bastard on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The objective of this game appears to be confounding Jerry at every turn.

I am in.

John Matrix on
  • War BastardWar Bastard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crap, that game will never come out in Germany.

Too much Swastikas and other Nazi symbolysm - never mind you actually KILL the fuckers.

As I understand it, don't most Germans order their games from the UK or other neighboring countries?

War Bastard on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was a stick.
  • corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I wasn't paying much attention to this until they closed Pandemic. Holy shit it looks great, like really great. It went from completely off my radar to more than likely day 1 purchase. Damn shame the studio had to get closed for it to get some press.

corin7 on
  • JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    So I just watched a bunch of gameplay of the full version of this game and boy is it crazy. Not in the good way though, if you were expecting a serious expose on the French resistance.

This game contains hilariously broken stealth and physics where you can drive cars off of cliffs, run at 40 MPH (seriously, you run faster than most cars), or make cows explode by punching them.

I am not kidding, you can make cows explode into gibs by punching them three times. Main character must have SUPER STRENGTH or something.

It's hard to tell how good the actual gameplay mechanics are, because the guy I'm watching kind of sucks, but there were several points where he murdered people in plain sight of everyone (civilians and Nazis) and no one raised a fuss. Nazis also seem to be psychic, whenever anyone raises any sort of fuss every guard within half a kilometer suddenly knows exactly where you are and shoots in your direction. Running is a capital offense in Nazi occupied cities, but driving a car through an alleyway and over about 20 people will only get you a "cannot use safe points for one minute" gameplay warning.

And you can make cows explode by punching them. Seriously the main character is broken in the most hilarious ways. He's an Irish man that can climb up the sides of buildings, race cars (seriously, there are Nazi car races in this game, I can't make this shit up), kill people in plain sight and everyone gives an a-ok if they're a Nazi or just a "hey you killed that guy" and then they go about their daily business.

Oh, and the plot has something to do with nuclear weapons being developed by the Germans and is filled to the brim with historical inaccuracies. For something that was marketed as a serious take on the French resistance, this game is very hard to take seriously.

JONJONAUG on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited December 2009
    This game went from sounds great to looks awful.

tofu on