As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a Family Affair!

Lost SalientLost Salient blink twiceif you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
edited November 2009 in Social Entropy++
Much as some of you may have been excited to see a Sly & The Family Stone thread, this... is not it.

This is a thread devoted to something near and (sometimes) dear to us; something that drives us crazy, drives us to new depths of anger, and maybe drives us eighteen hours to see grandma every Christmas, too. Partially inspired by the approach of Thanksgiving in the U.S., and partially inspired by such sappy business as recent weddings and the movie Inglourious Basterds, this is the thread to talk about family.

Some people maybe don't get along with one or both parents, and in many cases this is totally justified. It is okay to not talk about them. Or maybe you can talk about them in disparaging terms.

I, personally, get along with my parents relatively well - well enough to have gracefully accepted this awful yellow sofa when they "donated" it to me years later:

30527808926311250130311.jpg

How about you? Hate your parents? Love your parents? Not know who they are? Or maybe it turns out that one of them is a Sith Lord, and your mom died at birth, but only your twin sister has any memories of her at all? Better not think about your sister when you're fighting your dad, then.

Speaking of siblings... got any? Or are you one of those strange alien creatures raised as only children, knowing only your own personal toys, never acquainted with the despair of "But I asked for that for Christmas!" I've got a brother I'm very fond of, who is currently the more well-adjusted of the two of us, and is at college in Arizona. I also have grandparents whom I admire more than anyone else in the world, and a variety of awesome aunts, uncles, and cousins.

The brother:
scan0040.jpg

The grandparents:
momdadchristmasformalm.jpg

How about you, SE++?

"Hey, Salient, you're a big penis in all the wrong ways. My family sucks and I have no good stories to share about my great-grandpa in the war. Also my sister punched my favourite pet cow in the face when she was 15 and the cow died and then she ran away to the Falkland Islands, thanks a lot for reminding me."

So maaybe you for one reason or another don't get along great with your kinfolks. Sorry to hear that! What've you got instead? Wife? Husband? Significant other? Downstairs neighbor whose every conversation is audible through your paper-thin walls? We all have people we're close to. I've made another sort of a family out of my friends from college; we initially bonded through mutual alcoholism, but thanks to youthful, innocent livers, we survived to become a group of semi-normal, mostly law-abiding taxpayers. Now we're spread all over the world, but we're still extremely close. I actually officiated the wedding of my freshman year roommate in September, and am proud enough of that to mention it here.

Tell us about the people who made you the way you are! Tell us your funny stories and your interesting histories and your shitty experiences with families. Tell them here... so that we may judge you accordingly.

(Also if people want to talk about Thanksgiving plans I am down for this.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
"Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
Lost Salient on

• Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my mother doesn't give a damn

and I broke her give a damn

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    whoaaaa that's some unibrow

i live with my parents so every day is thanksgiving

Faricazy on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My mother lives in a ramshackle house that she was tricked into living in by her sisters. She can't take care of herself and packs shit upon shit upon shit, and doesn't do anything proactive about it. My aunts and cousins despise her as might be expected. When they argued over my grandfathers will, they ended up suing my mom and now she lives in said ramshackle to get back at them.

I recently ran into one of my aunts at a book festival. She tried to hit me with a car once (not this time). When she asked me how it felt to cut off my family (yeah because I sued her) I told her it felt like it was five funerals I wouldn't have to bother going to. Six if her husband doesn't leave her.

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Salient, your grandfather on the right has a terrifying unibrow.

Grandmother on the left was a pretty lady though.

I just told my mother that she needs to get over her crazy grudge against my father and his family, or at least stop dwelling on it. They've been divorced for almost 3 decades, I barely have anything to do with them and she has nothing to do with them, and yet more often then not when I visit her, or when she meets someone new, she complains about them. She needs to let shit go, or at least not waste her time thinking about it.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There is a mighty unibrow that is passed around to varying degrees on my mother's side, it is true

But I am not sure every day can be Thanksgiving if you don't watch football and eat stuffing, too

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    you don't have to watch football as long as you're grabbing your crotch

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lost I had no idea you were 1/4th caveman

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have a family they are the best family fuck your family

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my folks are awesome and my brothers are rad and my nephews are adorable

#pipe on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love my family

my girlfriend's family are all irrational crazybags of stupid

her 18 year old sister chucked a fucking spaz at her family because Big W (kinda like aussie Walmart) asked her to work 4 4 hour shifts a week

this is apparently an unacceptable amount of time, and directly cuts into her doing nothing

also her mother's only solution to a conflict is yelling and acting like a 14 year old, and whenever my girlfriend or I express a relatively complex opinion we're dismissed as, quote, "uni students"

yeah

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    imo if you can't fill a team for family feud you should just consider yourself an orphan

Zoel on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    would it be wrong to insult your grandfather and express a desire to bone you grandmother

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But that fourth is the best fourth!

It's pretty great now that my grandfather is older because it's all salt-and-pepper bristly

Maybe somewhere down the line I'm related to Colin Farrell?

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    also I'm assuming that first picture is your parental units and your dad is totally rockin the shredded knees on his khakis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am, in fact, disappointed that this isn't a Sly & The Family Stone thread.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    YaYa wrote: »
    I love my family

her 18 year old sister chucked a fucking spaz at her family because Big W (kinda like aussie Walmart) asked her to work 4 4 hour shifts a week

this is apparently an unacceptable amount of time, and directly cuts into her doing nothing

also her mother's only solution to a conflict is yelling and acting like a 14 year old, and whenever my girlfriend or I express a relatively complex opinion we're dismissed as, quote, "uni students"

yeah

go read an encyclopedia smartboy

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Air wrote: »
    YaYa wrote: »
    I love my family

yeah

go read an encyclopedia smartboy

actually it's spelled encyclopaedia

wait

touche

YaYa on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I love my family. I am very close to my grandparents who raised me and even though I hardly see either of them I love my mom and I love my dad and stepmom. I had an older brother who passed away 7 years ago and we were close as well. I also love my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. I even love my wife's family, her sisters and mother and aunts and grandmothers, though I've never met her dad.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I get along with my mom infinitely better now that I only see her like every other month, as opposed to every day.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MoobertMoobert __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    YOU SHOULD TRY SLEEPING WITH YOUR SISTER

-big mike

Moobert on
    andarphone.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    excellent job Big Mike

you're really showing us

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Moobert wrote: »

-big mike

you are awful at this

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    you ruined the incest thread

so much wasted potential

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

-big mike

lol noob

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »

-big mike

you are awful at this

That made no impact upon me

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    See, I always felt like I was doing something wrong because everyone I knew growing up always fought with their parents or whatever and I always got along really well with my grandparents. Like, I'd sometimes just stay at home and chill with them and have a good time and shit. I still do that sometimes, I'll go over to their house and hang out and eat food or clean for them or mow their lawn or watch tv with them or whtaever.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Moobert stop suiciding

do it quietly at least

YaYa on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My mom still thinks that I am 8 years old, despite significant evidence to the contrary.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm at a very high risk of losing my second marriage. I'm beginning to suspect that while I may be a good man, and a good father, that I am a horrible husband.

Weaver on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    moobert, i don't have a sister

please advise

Faricazy on
  • Options
    MoobertMoobert __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    I'm at a very high risk of losing my second marriage. I'm beginning to suspect that while I may be a good man, and a good father, that I am a horrible husband.

SEEK MARRIAGE COUNSELING. IF THAT DOESNT WORK: SUICIDE

-big mike

Moobert on
    andarphone.gif
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Weaver wrote: »

What happened, duder?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my immediate family is the black sheep of the family tree. My mom is kind of the rebel, all of my aunts are homemakers and are good at cooking and none of them have been divorced...how come I didn't get the mom that could not only cook but liked to?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My mom cheated on my dad 3 times while they were married including with her best friends brother so we moved to the other end of the state because it was a small town and people talked. She also drove drunk with me and my 3 sisters in the car when we were real little, I barely remember telling the cop that of course my mom wasn't drinking from that bottle and of course I'm sure. She then divorced my dad not long after he beat cancer and moved in her new bf right away who wasn't a bad guy and my sisters and I got to like him. So then this March my dad gets diagnosed for lung cancer and my mom decides to divorce my stepdad overnight and moves in with her new bf (one of the guys she cheated on my dad with) the same day I found out about my dad's cancer.

After my dad passes away I have to deal with my older half sister who is a fucking dumb, cheap, greedy, manipulative whore and she keeps fucking calling about what she gets from my dad's estate while I'm trying to make arrangements for his cremation, the service, make sure my sisters still have health insurance and apply to be the estate executor. Meanwhile this bitch couldn't be arsed to call my dad after finding out about his cancer being back, or calling after he had surgery to remove since she couldn't be bothered to visit and then doesn't get in touch with him in the two weeks after the surgery before he died. So fuck her.

Yea, aside from my two kid sisters I don't care much for what's left of my living family. I love my mother but god does she piss me off.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    Wrench N RocketsWrench N Rockets Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

please advise

I'm an only child. I am at a TOTAL loss as to whom I should sleep with. Don't even have a family dog.

Wrench N Rockets on
    sig_lambo.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Faricazy wrote: »

please advise

I'm an only child. I am at a TOTAL loss as to whom I should sleep with. Don't even have a family dog.

Fuck your dad/grandad/stray cat

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    dang that is some rough stuff VoC :(

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    VOC I remember that story. That is a terrible story.

I hope your older sister is getting a whole lotta nothing from that estate.

#pipe on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Words

That sucks VoC, I hope things get better somehow :(

Liiya on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have good things though like my younger sister got engaged last Feb and her fiance was able to talk to my dad about it since he wasn't sick yet. And then I was he,ping her plan a wedding for this fall but she decided to push it back when my dad got sick. And then she got pregnant so I have a nephew coming this February and a wedding June. I'm pretty excited about that.

VisionOfClarity on
This discussion has been closed.