As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

High pitched whine coming from PSU

RookRook Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So having recently put together a new PC, my PSU emits this annoying high pitched whine, when the PC is off it sounds even worse (until you pull out the power plug). Basically I'm wondering if there's any way to stop this outside of getting a replacement.

Rook on

• Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a built a PC for my dad that did something similar. it eventually began to restart on its own and blew up some time later.

the replacement we got did virtually the same thing.

it's not an Antec Truepower is it?

kingmetal on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No, it's a 500W Silverstone Element. But given the potential downside (and it does occasionally have problems booting), I'll try and RMA it.

Thanks for the help

Rook on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It could be coil noise. Some psus hsve it and there isn't much you can do about it. If you are having trouble starting though, it is most likely defective.

stigweard on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'm having a somewhat similar problem. Recently when I run anything graphics intensive (videos, flash games, actual games) I get a sustained whine from the CPU. If I continue playing for long enough the computer will just shut down with no warning. Switching out the video card that had a whining fan has helped, videos no longer cause a problem, but the hard drive (I guess) is still making the whine when I play any games.
    Any clues what's going on, or should I just take it in to a tech?

PsychoLarry1 on