As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Shopping, Seeking Advice

PinfeldorfPinfeldorf YeahZestRegistered User regular
So, it has recently dawned on me like an alcoholic has an epiphany that my PC has reached its milestone fifth birthday. This means it is time to send her off to turn her into dog food and glue, but the question remains in what PC I will ride for the next five years. Here is where the lovely PA community comes in!

I just got a brand new graphics card last week, a GeForce GTS 250 1G, and I had to buy a new power supply this summer when my old one caught on fire (literally, it started smoking and smelled like someone put a lego in the toaster), which is an Antec SG650. My Hard Drives have a lot of stuff I'd rather not have to reinstall, along with some things I cannot reinstall at all due to various companies having faggoty 30 day install policies on digital downloads, so I need to keep them (but am not averse to getting a third if necessary). So, long story short, I would really appreciate some recommendations for good cost effective:

Motherboard
Processor (or Mobo/CPU bundles)
RAM
Case

Rig will be used mostly for gaming, but I'm not a huge performance geek. I'm fine with long-ish load times, I just want to be able to play the next five years' worth of games without suffering with FPS in the teens. My price range is about $800, and I am totally fine with running 4G of RAM over 8G.

Thanks in advance for any friendly people who recommend me things, and a big fuck you to all Amish people.

Pinfeldorf on

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I recently built a PC with the following in what you are asking for:

Processor - Intel i5 750
    Motherboard - Gigabyte P55-UD3
    RAM - I have no idea, but I did grab 4gb of it. I should open the case and see what's in there :?
    Case - Gigabyte GZ-X7

My graphics card is a GTX275, and the system runs really well. I'm running Crysis and Dragon Age at high, 2xAA at 1440x900 with no issues. Wasn't cheap, but it wasn't stupidly expensive either. Came to about $1500au without Windows 7 Pro, though that put it to about $1700au. Not sure how that prices are in the US (Australians generally pay twice as much as what things go for in the US, and I got this through a store, I didn't shop around and make it myself which would have been cheaper, plus you already have the expensive bit - the graphics card).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Make sure to pop in on the Computer Build thread sticked up at the top of this forum. There's bound to be some useful suggestions there!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    TechnicalityTechnicality Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should probably know that the last time I upgraded my CPU/Motherboard, my windows install (it was xp at the time I think) wouldn't boot any more.

No idea how common this is or if it only occurs in specific combinations, but I thought I should warn you its possible.

Technicality on
    handt.jpg tor.jpg

• Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You should probably know that the last time I upgraded my CPU/Motherboard, my windows install (it was xp at the time I think) wouldn't boot any more.

No idea how common this is or if it only occurs in specific combinations, but I thought I should warn you its possible.

I have no idea if this still holds with Win 7 or even Vista, but with XP as far as I know if you put in a new CPU or motherboard you're going to be re-installing Windows.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If your hard drive is as old as the rest of your computer you should be getting a new one anyway.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It is possible, but you have to remove the chipset and ide info for the drives before you do. You also need to set ide mode for sata drives until you get it installed and then change them back afterwards.

stigweard on