As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You can make the reservation now just note the hotel's cancellation policy. Most will let you cancel your reservation up to a few days in advance without penalty. Or you can transfer the reservation to someone else. You'll find a lot of people looking for rooms closer to the actual date of the con.

Atlus Parker on
  • FerohFeroh Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    I think bands are contacted by PA or Reed directly.

Thanks, Moe! I also have this question, though I'd like to know who to contact to submit my band for consideration. We were looking for the contact info for PAX Prime, but it was probably a little late at that point (and it's much easier for us to get ourselves to Boston!)

I haven't found any information on the PAX East or the Reed site. I did try contacting Bill Butler (the vendor exhibition contact) about a week ago to see if he could point me in the right direction, but I haven't heard anything back. If you have any leads, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Feroh on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    When I said I think they are contacted by PA or Reed directly, I meant that I believe they find and contact the bands on their own. I don't think there is a band submission process.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• djbesseldjbessel Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Hey, all. If I can only make it to a couple days of PAX, can I let a family member use my pass for the 3rd day?

djbessel on
    edited November 2009
    Yes, you can.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2pm to 2am Friday
    10am to 2am Saturday
    10am to 7pm Sunday
    (I think I have those right)
    OK so if Friday start's at 2PM, and my group would not be able to make it until 5-6PM that day (we will be staying the weekend), is there anything we'd be missing out on?

I've never been to a PAX before but I had seen some chatter about concerts being limited attendance w/ wristbands handed out. Would we still be able to get into the concerts showing up mid-way through on Friday?

Gundabad on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Atlus has one in the works.

But it won't be Hogwarts themed. That will be exclusive to Seattle.

But ... we have the Harry Potter exhibit at the MOS ... haha

I live in Boston and I've run quite a few bar crawls. I normally shoot for 14-hour affairs that span the city, but that seems excessive given that PAX will be going on ...

Want some help planning? I love planning a good crawl ...

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
    edited November 2009
    Gundabad wrote: »
    2pm to 2am Friday
    10am to 2am Saturday
    10am to 7pm Sunday
    OK so if Friday start's at 2PM, and my group would not be able to make it until 5-6PM that day (we will be staying the weekend), is there anything we'd be missing out on?

I've never been to a PAX before but I had seen some chatter about concerts being limited attendance w/ wristbands handed out. Would we still be able to get into the concerts showing up mid-way through on Friday?

Even if you attended every hour of PAX, you'd still be missing out on stuff. The main theater has a limited capacity compared to the whole of the convention center, so wristbands are handed out to the first x number of people. Typically, concerts aren't impossible to get into without a wristband, although you might miss the first set.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• hobozachhobozach Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Looking through FAQ's and saw the thing about M rated games, so if im 15 i wont be able to play game demos for M rated games? Can i watch panels or presentations about M rated games?

hobozach on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You may get asked to show some proof of age (i.e. state issued ID or Passport). If the exhibitors are strictly following ESRB ratings, you probably won't get to demo the M games.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • DeanOffswitchedDeanOffswitched Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    A few friends and I were planning on attending our first PAX in Boston, but we're all either 15 or 16. As far as I've read there's no way minors can stay unaccompanied in hotels or youth hostels. Is there any word on how other teens are managing to stay in Boston?

DeanOffswitched on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    With friends or with adults willing to risk assuming the responsibility of a bunch of under 18s as they will be the ones officially on the hotel register and liable for any issues.

VisionOfClarity on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hey, I just noticed an inconsistency. (I don't know if this is the right place to bring it up). On the front page of registration it says that early bird rates are available until December 31, but on the form itself it says November 29. Which is correct and can the other be fixed?

Thanks!

PeasantDave on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The form will be fixed! The early bird cutoff date for PAX East is December 31st!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh thats good. I'm trying to get someone to buy me my pass for christmas, but if it doesn't work out, I'll still have a few days to get mine.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • TehobitTehobit Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I have looked on the forums and done a search, but have come up empty handed. I am looking for a way to apply to be a Enforcer at pax east. Is the applications still running around and being excepted?

Tehobit on
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The Penny Arcade authorities usually call for sign-ups for enforcers once or twice, much closer to the event. Check the PA website.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gabe's post, 3rd one down, is exactly what you're looking for

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2009/11/4/

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    so is there not going to be a pax in washington next year?

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There most certainly will be, Sept 3-5

http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MechalemmiwinksMechalemmiwinks Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I'd volunteer as an Enforcer, but my wife would kill me if I dropped $800 on a hotel for a weekend of working for no munnies.

Mechalemmiwinks on
  • JediknightkarlJediknightkarl Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    awesome. i was gettin kinda nervous there lol

Jediknightkarl on
    damn...bit my tongue....i hate that.
  • OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    2pm to 2am Friday
    10am to 2am Saturday
    10am to 7pm Sunday

The registration page shows it opening at 10 on Friday. Was that just accidentally carried over from Prime or is it correct?

Oroso on
    edited November 2009
    The hours on the registration page are wrong and will be changed. The Exhibit floor opens at 2:00pm on Friday!

Edit: Everything is fixed now!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone on here who uses those points you can collect from drinking Coke should know you can use them toward discounts on hotel reservations too.

They have a system now called MCRPointsPlus where you cash in Coke points toward stuff and pay the difference, including hotel reservations. 3 hotels near the convention participate, 2 of them don't offer discounts that beat the PAX-Site hotels offers, BUT oddly the Hilton Boston Back Bay is showing rates for Fri & Sat starting at $149 per night (the PAX discount is showing $189). And by cashing in 500 points I was able to get my Friday down to $104. And we're talking basically on the same city block as PAX!

They still base your tax on the full room rate (before deducting via Coke Points) which kinda sucks; also you can cancel up to 5 days before without penalty.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • HoofrogHoofrog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Can any locals comment on Hotel 140? All I need is a place to sleep, nothing fancy or expensive.

EDIT: Nevermind. Pricelined the Sheraton. See you all there.

Hoofrog on
  • TragTrag boston, maRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm pretty excited to attend this. I've been dreaming of going to a convention for a long time now. Now that PAX is in the East, I'm pumped. I'm disappointed that I don't have friends that like video games as much as I do, so I'll only be going with my brother :/
    How convenient that it's in Boston and I live only a city away! I hope that being 16 won't make this any less fun.

Trag on
    edited November 2009
    I think you will have a ton of fun Trag! Besides games rated MA there is no age restricted content at PAX East. I know of several people under the age of 18 who enjoy PAX yearly in Seattle (I'm looking at you Snifit and Ty.)

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just want to be sure, I purchased early bird stuff way back and got emailed my Pax East 2010 Badges

To get in I just need to print these badges off and show them at the front correct?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited November 2009
    The paper you printed out is your order confirmation. The wording is a little odd on the site, I'll see if I can get it changed. You will have physical PAX East badges mailed to you by mid March!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • alanchathamalanchatham Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    I had a quick question - I'm starting a company making guitar controllers, and I would love to exhibit at PAX East. I've tried e-mailing the paxsales@paxsite address twice now, like it says to on the website, but I haven't gotten any response.. Is there some sort of minimum size a company has to be in order to rent space? Or has anyone else registered space at PAX before?

alanchatham on
    OpenChord.org
    No more buttons! Play guitar games with a real guitar controller.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    My birthday's the 27th. Should I show up in a hilarious birthday-themed hat?

Oh yeah, I'm local, so my dorm could work if the hotels start running out of room, although my room is hilariously small and I'm not sure when vacations are.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • TragTrag boston, maRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My birthday is the 23rd, so this is going to be like my birthday present.
    I just bought my tickets for my brother and I, and I was wondering if a school ID would suffice as my identification?

Trag on
    edited November 2009
    Since you live in the US, your passes should be mailed to you, so ID isn't much of a concern. Although if you do end up needing to pick up your passes at will call (should they get lost in the mail), I'm not sure if a school ID will suffice. I think you will need your state issued ID (like a driver's license or permit).

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wasn't there an iPhone app created for PAX last year and will the same be done for PAX East + an Android compatible version?

Goose! on
  • JoeyridgeJoeyridge Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    What typically takes place on a Sunday during PAX?

I'm trying to plan what time I should leave on Sunday or if I should stay an extra night and leave Monday. Can anyone share their Sunday experiences?

Joeyridge on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    There are still panels on Sunday, as well as BYOC, tabletop, console freeplay, etc. being open. A lot of booths in the expo hall hand out all of their left over swag on Sunday afternoon - lots of oversized tee shirts and extra prize giveaways.

In Seattle, PAX traditionally ends with the final round of the Omegathon. I don't know if PA will be doing an East Coast Omegathon or something else, but I can bet that Sunday in Boston will end in a similar fashion. It makes for an amazing closing ceremony.

After PAX officially closes, lots of companies and hotel rooms have after parties to get your drink/game on, compare swag and stories from the weekend, and generally unwind before returning to the normal, less nerdy world the following workday. It's also a great time to collect contact info and gamertags for all the great new people you just met.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • JimmyDeemoJimmyDeemo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Ok i'm from the UK and i'm looking into attending PAX east. I've been totally convinved that i need this in my life but i don't know if its even finacially viable for me right now.

So to help my budgeting, anyone care to guess at the general schedual? What i really want to know is do i need to arrive 25th March, to stay over and attend PAX the following day. Or is it possible to land in the morning check in and come to PAX all on the morning of the 26th?

It sounds like there would be something going down on the Sunday also, so maybe a return on the monday might be in order.

Any help on this much appreciated.

JimmyDeemo on
    edited November 2009
    It's entirely possible to arrive in Boston and check into your hotel room the same day prior to PAX starting, the show itself doesn't start until 2pm, but once doors open it stays open until 2am. Liger's pretty much covered how Sunday goes, and the show itself ends at 6pm.

I hope this is helpful!

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    heels wrote: »
    It's entirely possible to arrive in Boston and check into your hotel room the same day prior to PAX starting, the show itself doesn't start until 2pm, but once doors open it stays open until 2am. Liger's pretty much covered how Sunday goes, and the show itself ends at 6pm.

I hope this is helpful!

I believe it starts earlier than that! There's been conflicting start times iirc.

Goose! on
This discussion has been closed.