As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA & PC] Gyromancer: Square-Enix & PopCap take on Puzzle Quest

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    aBlank wrote: »
    templewulf wrote: »
    Morvidus wrote: »
    As long as the computer isn't always 300 steps ahead of the player, this will be good.

Not to say I still don't fucking love PQ. I have both on DS and never go anywhere without them!

Goddamn cheating-whore AI. Oh, you moved one piece and five skulls fell down magically in a column? Screw you!

It never cheated. This is called selective memory. Undoubtedly you moved a piece and got lucky countless times. Does that mean you were cheating?

If you can read binary, you could read the computer bitching that it's user was a cheating asshole.

They made Galactrix cheat. They looked ahead and if they saw a move that was going to cause a massive cascade. . . they didn't make it. Just to stop them getting death threats.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    For the love of all that is video games, please let's not start yet another thread that debates whether or not the AI cheats in Puzzle Quest. It's been disproven. You're just unlucky sometimes. End of story.

http://forums.infinite-interactive.com/showpost.php?p=1329#2133
    Hi All,

I can definitely state that the AI in NO way cheats, nor does it know what gems are going to fall. I wrote the AI code myself, so I am 100% certain of this.

Look at it another way...
    a) I am a programmer, so I'm basically lazy
    b) Writing a cheating AI with look-ahead & multiple board evaluations is a LOT more work than writing a non-cheating AI that merely evaluates a single board
    c) If I wanted to make the game harder, I actually would have done the LAZY thing and just given the monsters more Life Points

Cheers

-Steve

From page 2 of this thread.

I don't really like Bejeweled Twist, but I can't resist this.

Why would he say the AI cheats anyway?

"Oh yeah I made a game where the AI cheats" that's really gonna sell himself and the game to people.

Because it's the truth? Sid Meier owned up that the AI cheats on the hardest difficulty levels in the Civilization games. Those sold okay. In complex games, sometimes the AI needs a leg up to get ahead of a smart human.

I don't think there's a reason not to believe the PQ developer, esp. since the reason he gives doesn't exactly put him in the most positive light. I mean, if he was lying, why wouldn't he say, "There's no need for it to cheat because the AI is so freaking brilliant."

Also, @Alistair Hutton, lol.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gyro confirmed on Major Nelson's site to be released this week at 1200 MS funbucks

http://majornelson.com/archive/2009/11/16/this-week-on-arcade-gyromancer-and-diner-dash.aspx

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cant play it until my exams are done the following weeks. *Grumble Grumble*

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    When the eff does this come out on Steam.

august on
    edited November 2009
    august wrote: »
    When the eff does this come out on Steam.

Yeah! (Or where else can it be purchased for PC preferably on the release date?)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited November 2009
    The offical site just says the 18th and then there's the various logos undernetah including xbl and Steam. So I'm hoping it comes to Steam the 18th. There's nothing on the Popcap frontpage about the game so maybe Steam wil be the only option on pc?

august on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Tasty.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The offical site just says the 18th and then there's the various logos undernetah including xbl and Steam. So I'm hoping it comes to Steam the 18th. There's nothing on the Popcap frontpage about the game so maybe Steam wil be the only option on pc?

It's definitely hitting XBLA on the 18th, and as far as I know it hits PC at the same time, so I guess it'll be out on Wednesday on Steam and probably nowhere else for now.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited November 2009
    My total guess is that Popcap won't release it themselves. Square probably wants to limit the release to Steam where it's easier for both comapnies to keep track of sales and also provides a modicum of functional DRM.

august on
  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    just got a response from SQUARE ENIX DLG Fanpage

Me: awesome. will this be up on steam by midnight on the 18th? its not even listed for preorder to preload it, and not even listed as coming soon...

SQUARE ENIX DLG: It should be. There is a reason why we cannot start preorder on the Steam ( hint: XBLA). Sorry.

sweet, way way too excited about this game

also, siliconera just did an interview, haha, this game, created over a few drinks, good good times

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/12/gyromancer-development-started-over-casual-drinks/

Lethardicus on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pumped!

Neurotika on
    edited November 2009
    Thank you, Lethardicus.

Also, re: that siliconera.com interview...
    Although the Bejeweled system, part of games like Puzzle Quest, is extremely easy to grasp from the player’s perspective, because our goal was to eliminate “turns” between enemies and allies the main challenge for us was figuring out how to customize this existing system to suit our vision. It was then that Jason showed us Bejeweled Twist, a new type of system based on Bejeweled. With this new system, we realized that we could create a system that eliminates turns, making our vision of the “Reaction Battle” possible! This is why we decided to go with Bejeweled Twist as the base system for Gyromancer.

What? Is this thing not turn-based? I like turns! Is this "Reaction Battle" thing a real-time mechanic?

Ugh ugh ugh. Suddenly this title goes from D-Day H-Hour purchase to wait-for-gameplay-videos.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    edited November 2009
    Iolo wrote: »
    Thank you, Lethardicus.

Although the Bejeweled system, part of games like Puzzle Quest, is extremely easy to grasp from the player’s perspective, because our goal was to eliminate “turns” between enemies and allies the main challenge for us was figuring out how to customize this existing system to suit our vision. It was then that Jason showed us Bejeweled Twist, a new type of system based on Bejeweled. With this new system, we realized that we could create a system that eliminates turns, making our vision of the “Reaction Battle” possible! This is why we decided to go with Bejeweled Twist as the base system for Gyromancer.

What? Is this thing not turn-based? I like turns! Is this "Reaction Battle" thing a real-time mechanic?

Ugh ugh ugh. Suddenly this title goes from D-Day H-Hour purchase to wait-for-gameplay-videos.

I'm curious as to how it works. But really, Square have a history of doing weird shit to battle systems and it almost always turns into something funky and interesting.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited November 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    Thank you, Lethardicus.

I'm curious as to how it works. But really, Square have a history of doing weird shit to battle systems and it almost always turns into something funky and interesting.

Its bejeweled twist, its already weird shit enough hah. it still seems like its turn based enough, unless by "Reaction Battle" they mean, you and the opponent simultaneously are able to make turns at the same time, which would be all kinds of ridiculous

Lethardicus on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    O_o

TyrantCow on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is there no footage of this yet?

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thank you, Lethardicus.

Its bejeweled twist, its already weird shit enough hah. it still seems like its turn based enough, unless by "Reaction Battle" they mean, you and the opponent simultaneously are able to make turns at the same time, which would be all kinds of ridiculous

This confuses the hell out of me. If you have to make moves in real-time instead of taking turns, I definitely won't be getting this. I enjoy the pace of puzzle games, because if I wanted something frantic that got my blood pressure up, I'd just get back on the freeway. I want a game to relax me and exercise my brain, not cause me to fumble for matches faster than a computer (which is impossible).

El Guaco on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hrmmmm...real time makes me unhappy. On the other hand, if there are options to change the speed at which you play (Haste spells or Time magic or whatever) it might be worth it. I always love abusing time abilities in games to get like 8 turns before my opponent gets to go.

I'll still pick it up because, hey, 15 bucks and I desperately want a new Puzzle Quest fix.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Thank you, Lethardicus.

This confuses the hell out of me. If you have to make moves in real-time instead of taking turns, I definitely won't be getting this. I enjoy the pace of puzzle games, because if I wanted something frantic that got my blood pressure up, I'd just get back on the freeway. I want a game to relax me and exercise my brain, not cause me to fumble for matches faster than a computer (which is impossible).

Agreed on most of this, if it's a real-time fight against the computer with ever-increasing speeds as you get closer to the end, f that noise. However, if like the previous posted mentioned, if it's a slow/moderate time limit on turns with the ability to "hase/slow" now and then as a game mechanic, then i'd still be interested in giving it a go.
    I was "bought on day one", but now i'm honestly waiting to see some game footage and read a review or six.

zhen_rogue on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    sounds like most of you are PC folk here, but if you have a 360 at the very least you should be able to try the demo..... not a PC guy so don't know if Steam offers demos and such.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited November 2009
    sounds like most of you are PC folk here, but if you have a 360 at the very least you should be able to try the demo..... not a PC guy so don't know if Steam offers demos and such.

What I do is open the youtube promo and watch it over and over for a few minutes. Then I shut off my pc and cry a bit.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited November 2009

What I do is open the youtube promo and watch it over and over for a few minutes. Then I shut off my pc and cry a bit.

Just... buy it on Steam tomorrow? Or something? Yeah.

august on
    edited November 2009

Just... buy it on Steam tomorrow? Or something? Yeah.

Fine. I will then. So there.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Is this going to be on steam tommorow then? I can find no reference to it so far.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If it does come out tomorrow I will buy it without playing the demo. Because Im hardcore.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
    edited November 2009
    SanderJK wrote: »
    Is this going to be on steam tommorow then? I can find no reference to it so far.
    just got a response from SQUARE ENIX DLG Fanpage

Me: awesome. will this be up on steam by midnight on the 18th? its not even listed for preorder to preload it, and not even listed as coming soon...

SQUARE ENIX DLG: It should be. There is a reason why we cannot start preorder on the Steam ( hint: XBLA). Sorry.

sweet, way way too excited about this game

also, siliconera just did an interview, haha, this game, created over a few drinks, good good times

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/12/gyromancer-development-started-over-casual-drinks/

So... probably?

august on
  • RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    IGN review:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/104/1046583p1.html

They clarify a little how the puzzling works, it's not turn based because you are the only one manipulating the puzzle. The enemy gains power to attack you from slow puzzling, unproductive twists, and the amount (or location? or both?) of enemy-aligned gems present on the board when it attacks.

They say it's a polished dungeon crawl / puzzle mash-up with a lot of depth. Also, it has a survival dungeon where you take a monster as far as you can for rewards that carry on to the regular game.

I'm getting it, I need to cleanse my mind of the wretchedness of Galatrix. As a bonus, I won't itch for Puzzle Pirates for a while either.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
    edited November 2009
    Lethardicus on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Updated with what exactly?

I wish we knew what time this was launching.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Updated with what exactly?

I wish we knew what time this was launching.

Story, characters, the promo video, some screenshots, and the release date (today).

Mobile-D on
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I need this game to become available now

hyperpower on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Arrgh, want to be at home, loading this game! Damn work hours!!!

Neurotika on
  • ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    "XBLA, I dunno. Steam, I heard that [Gyromancer] will be (out) around 10am PST, but not sure. There is no official announcement."

- SE's Twitter account

Zoelef on
    edited November 2009
    Redcat wrote: »
    IGN review:

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/104/1046583p1.html

They clarify a little how the puzzling works, it's not turn based because you are the only one manipulating the puzzle. The enemy gains power to attack you from slow puzzling, unproductive twists, and the amount (or location? or both?) of enemy-aligned gems present on the board when it attacks.

They say it's a polished dungeon crawl / puzzle mash-up with a lot of depth. Also, it has a survival dungeon where you take a monster as far as you can for rewards that carry on to the regular game.

I'm getting it, I need to cleanse my mind of the wretchedness of Galatrix. As a bonus, I won't itch for Puzzle Pirates for a while either.

Looking at that review:
    Take Puzzle Quest, add a little bit of Pokemon, set it in the Final Fantasy universe, and voila! You get Gyromancer.

Uh. What? It doesn't look much like generic jrpg or typical Final Fantasy. Puzzle Quest looks more like generic anime, ironically.

august on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone seen any specs for the PC version? I'm wondering if my puny laptop will be able to handle it.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    really looking forward to first impressions of this.

TyrantCow on
    edited November 2009
    There isn't even a steam page for gyromancer yet.

august on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does Live Arcade stuff hit on a Weds or Thurs? Not that it matters, I'm sure I'll play the demo, enjoy it, and then stick it on my 'games I might get if I get any MS Points' list and then continue to not get any points. I wish I had more points (or the necessary spare moolah to buy them).

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does Live Arcade stuff hit on a Weds or Thurs? Not that it matters, I'm sure I'll play the demo, enjoy it, and then stick it on my 'games I might get if I get any MS Points' list and then continue to not get any points. I wish I had more points (or the necessary spare moolah to buy them).

it's out on xbla now.

aBlank on