As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boardgames - Chuckers, Floppers and Meeples

• DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Talisman is randomsauce; it's an old game with roll for your movement, then encounter the space you land on, a sort of cross between fantasy and monopoly. I'll play it once a year or so if people really want to, but it isn't a good game compared to more recent designs.

I've heard good things about Descent, but I've never played it. It's a dungeon crawler - one person essentially DMs, controlling the layout and the monsters for a team of players working through the complex.

Darian on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darian wrote: »
    it's a cross between fantasy and monopoly.

Talisman is not good. It may be fun, at times, for a little while, but it's definitely not good.

Descent is fun though. Solid dungeon-crawling mechanics with a design that encourages the DM to try to win. Unfortunately, without the expansions it's pretty much impossible for the DM.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    You know, having played a bit of Dokapon Kingdom on the Wii with my nephew and sister this afternoon, I think that's a much better implementation of the Talisman concept. Save game capabilities, different modes to tune game length, class change, and the game handles all the book-keeping for you. Plus, a better come-from-behind mechanic.

Darian on
  • beta.lyraebeta.lyrae Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anyone up for a game of Wallenstein? Plan on a single turn a day. No more.

Game Name: Critical Failure
    Password: darkmagic

I'd be up for a game of Reef Encounter or Hacienda as well.

http://spielbyweb.com

beta.lyrae on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like Doom better than Descent. If I want to play a fantasy themed dungeon crawler I will just play DND. Doom is an awesome theme and is challenging as hell. I have yet to win as the marines, but I have come DAMN close.

Orange Soda on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I just won a game of Chaos in the Old World as Slaanesh, through a lot of VP's from three simultaneous ruinations.

Everyone said it was the first time they said they'd seen a Slaanesh victory, in more than a dozen games.

Plutonium on
  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Plutonium wrote: »
    I just won a game of Chaos in the Old World as Slaanesh, through a lot of VP's from three simultaneous ruinations.

Everyone said it was the first time they said they'd seen a Slaanesh victory, in more than a dozen games.

In our last game, Slaneesh won via dial advancement. Although to be fair, for some reason Nurgle decided that Khorne must lose no matter what and did everything he could to help Slaneesh.

Valkun on
    edited November 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    Plutonium wrote: »

In our last game, Slaneesh won via dial advancement. Although to be fair, for some reason Nurgle decided that Khorne must lose no matter what and did everything he could to help Slaneesh.

Was Khorne just being too annoying with catch phrases? I've won as Khorne and as Tzeentch; I know Nurgle ran away with one game; I'm not sure if Slaanesh has won any of ours.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

Darian on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's been my experience that Slaanesh typically ends up in a kingmaker position, and while not last on VP or dials, never seems to make the leap from 3rd to 1st.

Cynic Jester on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I want to participate in a secret santa this year. Do any of our more board gamey brethren do that stuff? Should I just jump in the CF one, or would we consider a much smaller Boardgames only endeavor? I'm terrified of getting more 40k stuff if I sign up in the CF one, because I have more than I would ever know what to do with already.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had already signed up for the D&D Secret Sodomites, so I didn't do CF. But I put on my list that I prefer board games, so we'll see if my secret santa loves me. That or he just doesn't want to spend that much money, which I also understand. Either way, I'm sure whatever I get, I will love.

Maybe next year we can do our own boardgame Secret Santa. Reserve it only for people that frequent this thread? Or I guess really anyone that wants a boardgame. :)

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If so, somebody better buy poor Echo the Invasion core set.

I think he may soon fly over to Fantasy Flight offices and shoot up the place if we're not careful.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    In the CF secret santa you can say what you want. You should sign up.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • jabrams007jabrams007 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Call me crazy but I just won a copy of Space Hulk on ebay, minus all the figures, for $50 including shipping.

Since I already own a complete version of the game, I can now build SUPER HUGE missions. I'm excited and think that $50 is a pretty good deal for all the counters, tokens, and hallway pieces.

Now all I need is for the first Warhammer: Invasion Battle pack to come out and I'll be happy.

jabrams007 on
    edited November 2009
    Age of Empires III is such a fun game. I would probably describe it as a heavier version of Stone Age without all the luck of dice rolls. Going into final scoring each player was tied at 25. I ended up winning with 66 points, my brother has 64, and my friend had 61. So it was a close game when no one knew anything about strategy. I think this is a game that gets better with more players because more things to consider and more things going on.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zombie NirvanaZombie Nirvana Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I knew you'd love the game! Though I'm curious why you compare it to Stone Age. What about it is similar for you? I'm trying to think and the only thing I can come up with is worker placement. Stone Age doesn't really have functional buildings, exploration, or conflict.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    Managing working placement. The game, at it's heart, is all about placing your workers. Just like Stone Age. It just takes the game and turns it up to 11 and goes even further than that.

Each area you place your worker does something completely different, where in Stone Age they pretty much do the same thing in each area, just at a different roll of the dice. I saw the similarities and it just kind of helped the game click in my mind when playing. Other than that, nothing else is really the same.

Also, I didn't look at the game ahead of time, so the capital buildings were exciting when they would come out. You never know what you're going to get and it's pretty awesome.

Question, when it comes to capital buildings, are you allowed to buy multiple buildings per turn?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Yes, if you place multiple colonists in the capital building area. We're playing a 5-player game this weekend, I can't wait. The other game I played was with 4 and it was already pretty tight.

I see what you mean about Stone Age. It is a little more abstracted, but similar. I like Pillars too, more so even than Stone Age. I think AOE3 smokes em both though.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    See, I don't care much for Pillars. It's just such a linear game where your decisions are pretty scripted. You get some choice, but not much. That's just how I saw it in my two games. I do want to try it with the expansion.

Stone Age does have that script as well, but you do get a lot more choices so it doesn't feel that scripted.

AOE is by far the best of them that I've played so far. Actions don't seem so scripted because you have to adjust based on the way everyone else is playing. I hope to play another game tonight.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Yes, I meant with the expansion. I think the base game can be played pretty much perfectly because information is all known.

Zombie Nirvana on
    edited November 2009
    Got an offer to trade my copy of Small World for a copy of Last Night on Earth on BGG. In town, even, so I can save on shipping. Small World bores me to tears, and my girlfriend prefers cooperative or Euro-style non-confrontational games to direct conflict games, so I'm leaning toward actually doing this. Opinions?

Edit: This review suddenly steers me in the other direction, though.
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/229075

This is from the guy who will cut someone if they ever propose we play Zombies!

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Got an offer to trade my copy of Small World for a copy of Last Night on Earth on BGG. In town, even, so I can save on shipping. Small World bores me to tears, and my girlfriend prefers cooperative or Euro-style non-confrontational games to direct conflict games, so I'm leaning toward actually doing this. Opinions?

Edit: This review suddenly steers me in the other direction, though.
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/229075

This is from the guy who will cut someone if they ever propose we play Zombies!

"It's a light Ameritrash game with nice theme and a good laugh" seems to sum it up. If you're looking for something with Euro-level gameplay and a zombie theme, I don't think this is it.

Then again, you don't like Small World so you clearly have no taste.

(I kid! I kid!)

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    I swear to God, I don't know what people like about Small World. You make like one meaningful decision all game, and the rest of the time you just hope everyone else rolls poorly when destroying your race in decline.

Darkewolfe on
    edited November 2009
    Last Night on Earth is a very good game; it's adversarial co-op, with most of the players handling one or two B-movie stereotype characters while one person (2 in 6p) handles the zombies. It's a good game, but it's not serious business. There is a lot more decision-making and meat to the game than Small World, however. For you, I say make the trade. I wouldn't trade my own copy of Small World for it, though; my family and I have too much fun with it.

I also would say there's a bit more to Small World than that, but that ship has already sailed. :)

Darian on
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm sure there's more to it. Everyone else loves the heck out of Small World, and I won't advise against anyone getting it. I just don't enjoy it for whatever reason.

Darkewolfe on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I swear to God, I don't know what people like about Small World. You make like one meaningful decision all game, and the rest of the time you just hope everyone else rolls poorly when destroying your race in decline.

Man what? I've played a few games (always with 4-5 people, granted) and usually get through at least 3 races in a game.

It is definetly a thinking kind of game if you play it right.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    It's a very different game with 2 people than it is with more players.

From the game I played last night, I have to say that Underworld Tritions are quite possibly the sleeper monster combo of a 2-player game. Trolls on a Mountain? Oh look it's next to the water and on an Underworld symbol. I will conquer that with 3 guys. I laugh at your Fortifications!

DarkPrimus on
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I enjoy both games, and if you don't like one game there are probably people willing to trade for LNoE.

That said, I don't like that review. To search you have to stay inside a building, yes. If you are in an item-find scenario, there isn't much excuse to leave until you have to. But I would rather make up my own scenarios than play item-find scenarios, TBH. It comes with a ton of chits that make it easy to create clever game mechanics. The heroes usually want to avoid zombies, the zombies want to follow the heroes. But if the heroes get different speed-rolls, they can get split up if they dont choose to take a shorter trip. If the zombies all shuffle in one direction, they are easy to out flank.

It's a fun game for 2-6 players and the only time I can recall having a bad time is when I was a hero playing the escape in the jeep scenario and found the keys and the gas in a couple turns. Boooring.

Oh after looked at some comments on the review edit- There aren't a lot of major choices to be made in the game. I mean you can make little choices like "oh should I search or run" "should I heal or run" "Should I try to get across the map to meet up with them?" "Should I play my shuffle now or wait to get closer to the person with lower health?" but its not on the magnitude of say Agricola occupation and minor improvement selection.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So apparently Agricola is pronounced a-grick-o-la - not ag-ra-cola

krylon666 on
    edited November 2009
    Wouldn't you mostly be able to guess that from the similarity to 'agriculture'?

I could see pronouncing it a-gri-cola rather than a-grick-o-la, but ag-ra-cola is pretty out there.

admanb on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    admanb wrote: »
    Wouldn't you mostly be able to guess that from the similarity to 'agriculture'?

I could see pronouncing it a-gri-cola rather than a-grick-o-la, but ag-ra-cola is pretty out there.

I think a-gri-cola is what he means by ag-ra-cola. But I can't see a-grick-o-la. That's an extra syllable for no reason. And the three syllable version sounds like the word for farming, as you've pointed out.

Delmain on
    edited November 2009
    Delmain wrote: »
    I think a-gri-cola is what he means by ag-ra-cola. But I can't see a-grick-o-la. That's an extra syllable for no reason. And the three syllable version sounds like the word for farming, as you've pointed out.

It's really not. It's just a difference of emphasis, a-GRI-ko-la vs. a-gri-KO-la. The former is the latin pronunciation.

admanb on
    edited November 2009
    Being as that a-grick-o-la was how it was written, I'm going to standy by the fact that it's four syllables long. Stress is another thing entirely. I pronouce it like agriculture but instead of saying -ulture, I say -ola

Delmain on
    edited November 2009
    Being as that a-grick-o-la was how it was written, I'm going to standy by the fact that it's four syllables long. Stress is another thing entirely. I pronouce it like agriculture but instead of saying -ulture, I say -ola

But that's still four syllables? -cola doesn't become one syllable when you put the emphasis on "co" instead of "gri."

a-gri-CUL-ture becomes a-gri-CO-la.

admanb on
    edited November 2009

But that's still four syllables? -cola doesn't become one syllable when you put the emphasis on "co" instead of "gri."

a-gri-CUL-ture becomes a-gri-CO-la.

You and your logics. Keep them out of my eyes.

Delmain on
    edited November 2009
    Look, the name of the game is a-gri'-ko-la. You can call it the Grick, if you want to. But whatever you call it, you should play it sometime when you get the chance. It's a good game (for those of you who don't need direct confrontation in their games).

Darian on
  • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Agricola is a great game, one of my favorite Euros. But the cards really mess up the game balance, to the point that I'd rather play the family version without cards, rather than playing with a random deal.

Gaebril on
    edited November 2009
    Gaebril wrote: »
    Agricola is a great game, one of my favorite Euros. But the cards really mess up the game balance, to the point that I'd rather play the family version without cards, rather than playing with a random deal.

Have you tried drafting? I've only played one game of Agricola, but I hear that's common.

admanb on
  • GaebrilGaebril Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Have you tried drafting? I've only played one game of Agricola, but I hear that's common.

Yeah I've tried it once. It was okay - not sure if it was worth the added set-up time.

Gaebril on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Got charged for my preorder copy of Twilight Struggle, can't wait for it to get here!

tofu on
This discussion has been closed.