As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Community Meetup: Boston Nov 7th is probably bust, Fancy dinner + Concert?

13»

• DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it was great to meet everybody. Can't wait for the next one!

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So bummed I missed this, but it sounds like a good time was had. See you next time!

Usagi on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You dirty sons of bitches.

I was just in Boston for an interview at Boston College's nurse anesthesia program. I flew in from Minnesota on the 8th and left on the 10th - could have been there with a little more heads up.

Assholes.

Anyway, I may be living in Boston in March for when PaxEast goes down and I'll be out there. I may have an extra bedroom / couch / floor for any Pax Attendees that need a place to crash. Will post more info once I get accepted etc. etc.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It was great seeing everyone yesterday. I am looking forward to the next trip, especially if it is the pub-crawl research meetup.

PeasantDave on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Thanks for coming out everyone. We set a good foundation yesterday for what's to come despite the freely flowing alcohol. Looking at the calendar I'll tentatively put down the next meetup as November 7th @ 4pm in a soon to be determined bar in Boston. This will be a 21+ only event as we plan on doing as much barhopping as possible.

Atlus Parker on
    edited October 2009
    I just realized how busy I am in November. I'm out for the 7th, but certainly don't plan around me, as I'm always tentative at best.

PeasantDave on
    edited October 2009
    I am also out for the 7th, will be out of town

bummer again!

Usagi on
  • LethardicusLethardicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I totally woulda been there, but me and a buncha people from college went to VGXPO. GREAT FUN THAT WAS *sarcastic*. We should have taken revenge for PAX 2007 and kicked Ed Flemings ass, but we didn't know about the story until afterwards.

I'm a long run Boston native and been going to conventions at the Hynes for about 5 years now, if theres anything you guys wanna know locally I can be your guy

Lethardicus on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Usagi wrote: »

bummer again!

Damn it! I'm going to have to spontaneously drive to CT to give you your b-day gift.

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009

bummer again!

Damn it! I'm going to have to spontaneously drive to CT to give you your b-day gift.

hmm, want to go shopping in Providence next Sunday?

Usagi on
    edited October 2009

bummer again!

hmm, want to go shopping in Providence next Sunday?

Do you have to ask?

VisionOfClarity on
  • Fat_IdiotFat_Idiot __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2009
    Cu@ Providence place.. I'll be in Nordstrom.

Fat_Idiot on
    wat
    edited October 2009
    I totally woulda been there, but me and a buncha people from college went to VGXPO. GREAT FUN THAT WAS *sarcastic*. We should have taken revenge for PAX 2007 and kicked Ed Flemings ass, but we didn't know about the story until afterwards.

I'm a long run Boston native and been going to conventions at the Hynes for about 5 years now, if theres anything you guys wanna know locally I can be your guy

Was VGXPO lame? I keep wanting to swing by but I can never find enough information about what's going on there.

PeasantDave on
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

Was VGXPO lame? I keep wanting to swing by but I can never find enough information about what's going on there.

In case you don't know what Lethardicus was referencing, the guy who runs VGXPO is a total jerk who came to PAX in 2007 and went around to all the vendors saying how lame PAX was and how they should totally dump it and come to his show instead. Then he got himself drunk and started hitting on Amber Fechko AKA kelp (and the guy is married to boot). Of course she not only rebuffed him but kicked his sorry ass out of PAX for being drunk and a nuisance.

Yeah, so VGXPO is not favorably looked on around here.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited October 2009

In case you don't know what Lethardicus was referencing, the guy who runs VGXPO is a total jerk who came to PAX in 2007 and went around to all the vendors saying how lame PAX was and how they should totally dump it and come to his show instead. Then he got himself drunk and started hitting on Amber Fechko AKA kelp (and the guy is married to boot). Of course she not only rebuffed him but kicked his sorry ass out of PAX for being drunk and a nuisance.

Yeah, so VGXPO is not favorably looked on around here.

I was actually familiar with the situation and just hoping for an honest answer.

PeasantDave on
    edited November 2009
    So shame on me but it looks like there's zero interest in next weekend so we can go ahead and call it a bust.

So that leaves us with planning another event.

The rest of November is kind of a tricky month so let's look to December. On the 5th there's the VGO concert which several people have expressed interest in in another thread. There's also been interest in having a fancy dinner. What if we rolled these two events into one classy night on the town? Go to a fancy dinner before the concert then split a limo to roll into the concert. Tuxedos, evening gowns, all that good stuff.

What say you all?

Also if you have any ideas for any other events feel free to post them as well.

Atlus Parker on
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wait what?! i thought the whole Nov 7th thing was planned? :( It's on my calendar!!! Now I am sad. I guess I won't be seeing you guys until February because after November, that's the next time I'll have any free time :(

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited November 2009
    tehnakki wrote: »
    wait what?! i thought the whole Nov 7th thing was planned? :( It's on my calendar!!! Now I am sad. I guess I won't be seeing you guys until February because after November, that's the next time I'll have any free time :(

It can still happen if we have people interested but all I see is people that can't make it.

Atlus Parker on
  • WaterbornWaterborn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I am definitely down for the December meet-up. Dinner and the VGO concert sound good to me. However, I don't do suits of any kind, so if you folks plan to make it a formal event, guess I will just have to see you at the show.

Waterborn on
    http://www.2old2play.com/Blog/Waterborn
    East Coast Correspondent for 2Old2Play.com
    edited November 2009
    I'm doing the Nutcracker and Holiday Pops so I really can't do another show in December but I'm always down for fancy meals so I could easily meet you guys before the show.

VisionOfClarity on
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Next Saturday I could've done. December is actually iffy for me.
    I'm sticking to the conventions for the time being. I'll be at NEFE on the weekend of the 13th (look for GCIACST in the dealer's room or in the game room on Friday and Saturday nights after 8 (Collateral Damage demo on Friday and Munchkin on Saturday)).
    I'm also planning on attending Anonycon, if only for a day.
    AAC and SBM are toss-ups.
    If you're attending NEFE or Anonycon, look for GCIACST.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • lucazzolucazzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I already have a ticket for the VGO concert, so sign me up for dinner if it happens!

lucazzo on
    PAX East '11 Team Squirtle Group B - Professor.
    PAX East '12 Team Totodile Gold - Professor
    edited November 2009
    Just got an email from Shota Nakama at the VGO. They have a ton of new material planned for the Dec. 5th show. Looking forward to it. Lots of info on the show below. So who is in?
    "Video Game Orchestra’s presents ~Awakening~

Full group's comeback to Berklee Performance Center on December 5th, 2009

Boston, Massachusetts – October 12th, 2009 – Video Game Orchestra
    (VGO) will hit the Berklee Performance Center (BPC) stage again on
    December 5th, 2009 at 7:30 pm, nine months after its previous premium
    sold out success at the venue.

Nearly a hundred musicians will be presenting new arrangements of the
    classic such as Super Mario and Final Fantasy, as well as music from
    newer games such as God of War, Silent Hill, and Metal Gear Solid.
    Featured guests include Wataru Hokoyama, an accomplished film/video
    game composer. His score for the SONY Playstation3 game “Afrika” has
    won him both critical acclaims and industry awards.
    (http://hokoyama.com) He will be guest conducting a orchestral suite
    of Afrika.

“This concert ~Awakening~ is going to feature the full VGO, as it is
    waking up from a long 9 months of sleep,” said Shota Nakama, the
    founder and director of VGO. “We will be representing diverse styles
    of music and our renowned symphonic rock style with even better,
    impressive performance quality. We WILL surprise you.”

The concert is $10 for students or 18 under, and $15 for the general
    public ($5+ on the day of). Purchase can be made at either
    ticketmaster.com or Berklee Performance Center, located at 136
    Massachusetts Avenue, Boston. (visit berkleebpc.com or call
    617-747-2261 for more information.)

A pioneer in raising awareness of video game music repertoire, VGO
    makes its tribute by performing non-stop at different venues and video
    game related events. The show this early May in front of about 5000
    people earned VGO praise for its outstanding performance and
    contribution to the video game industry. As what Boston Local media
    described, VGO “is the new sound for the new generation.”

About the VGO

VGO is a contemporary orchestra that performs orchestral arrangements
    of video game music. Founded in May 2008, VGO is the first and only
    student-run orchestra that showcase these interactive media
    compositions. It comprises of a 45-piece symphony, a 40-piece choir,
    and a 5-piece rock band. The regional and international award-winning
    musicians come from over 20 countries. This multi-cultural diversity
    contributes to the source of VGO’s unique signature.

Contact info:

Shota Nakama
    Creator/Artistic Director/Arranger
    253-468-8196
    [email protected]

Po-Ya Chang
    Production Manager
    [email protected]"

Waterborn on
    edited November 2009
    Got another update from Shota on the VGO show. Since the title of this topic is centered on November, I am going to use the December Meet-up thread for any additional updates to avoid confusion. Check it out and let's get some folks on this. I know Khoo will be there. Will you?

Waterborn on