As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Poppin' In!

HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Artist's Corner
I used to check the 'ol AC forums everyday and barely post, but I loved the community and found AC helpful during my highschool years. I haven't posted in a long while, so I thought I would try and give back.

I'm currently 3rd year at Sheridan College for illustration and since I was in highschool noticed that a few AC went to Sheridan. So if there is anyone that has questions regarding Sheridan or just life in general, i'll try my best and answer your questions!

Also, here is some of my current work. As always C & C encouraged!

bikedu.jpg
cars vs bikes in china

immigration.jpg
immigration policies

conversation3.jpg

guitarpicks.jpg

medsv.jpg
hockey vs hospitals

newyorker.jpg
swine flu

obesea.jpg
hunger

scene6rgb.jpg
some characters for an after affect project im working on for portfolio

Haxagor on

• Options
    humblehumble Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    stuff looks rad

humble on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nice stuff. I think you might be going just a tad overboard with the textures in some of them (#5 and #7, for example). The texture stroke under the guy's arm in the swine flu piece is distracting too.

Tam on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    These are really visually appealing, but I'm not sure that all of their meaning gets through. And I know you're already done them and handed them in or whatever so it doesn't really matter, but like. I thought the first one was an ad for chinese food and was staring at it for like five minutes trying to figure out why it had a car and a bike before I gave up and scrolled down and went OHH. Sort of the same thing for all of them. Swine flu especially, I thought that was a pig in the sun that he was gazing up at? So like, they look really nice artistically, and I guess you don't want them to be obvious and I could be a retard but I don't think I would have gotten some of them if it weren't for you telling us.

I really like the last one though. Because it has a story. Probably a very fucked up story from what I'm looking at.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kochi: while I agree that the images on their own are hard to interpret, I feel that they are editorial cartoons which are typically used to supplement a story in text. They don't necessarily have to stand alone. Doesn't mean that they can't or that the images couldn't use clearer messages, but I tend to think context is important in cases like this and I feel all of the images give me a very editorial vibe. I could picture them in newsweek or something.

Great work!
    Maybe ease up in the textures a bit as tam said

beavotron on
  • Options
    AgentflitAgentflit Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I kinda want to see larger versions of the chitchat and guitar pick posters, small print + low contrast makes it very hard to read.

Agentflit on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kochikens wrote: »
    These are really visually appealing, but I'm not sure that all of their meaning gets through. And I know you're already done them and handed them in or whatever so it doesn't really matter, but like. I thought the first one was an ad for chinese food and was staring at it for like five minutes trying to figure out why it had a car and a bike before I gave up and scrolled down and went OHH. Sort of the same thing for all of them. Swine flu especially, I thought that was a pig in the sun that he was gazing up at? So like, they look really nice artistically, and I guess you don't want them to be obvious and I could be a retard but I don't think I would have gotten some of them if it weren't for you telling us.

I really like the last one though. Because it has a story. Probably a very fucked up story from what I'm looking at.

Well if they're for magazine articles, it doesn't matter if they themselves are 100% clear (although I think, besides the second one, they are).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, this is true. They'd never really ever be apart from their text and a big headline and it's more about getting the person to read the article than eing clear. Very newsweeky. I still don't think the hockey vs hospital one works as well as the others though. It reads more like hockey and drugs or steroids to me atleast.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cool illustrations yo

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm on the Tam band wagon here as well- like in the 2nd one, the Canadian flag (?) is really hard to read.

I really dig a lot of these though.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • Options
    HaxagorHaxagor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    yeah i agree with the texture part....at least have it minimal so it isn't seen over the actual piece. I am still trying to develop a marketable style and trying to have a cohesive body of work. What i'm going for with the swine flu one was a more rough screen print look. I've never actually done screen printing, but would like to one day.

Haxagor on