As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

This is the [Droid] you're looking for - $199 with 2-year Contract, hits 11/6

• risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Holy shit moto!

My camera works now! So happy.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2009
    The microSD card that comes with the droid is a Class 2. Do you think upgrading to a class 6 card would give any noticeable performance increases?

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What the? Secret updates? My camera seems to be working better too, but I thought I'd at least know when the software was getting updated.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So does android continue to load window a in the browser after I have switched to window b?

As best as I can tell, based on my testing just now, yes. It'll load in the background while you're looking at another page in another window.

LaPuzza on
    edited November 2009
    Awesome new update on the camera
    Engadget wrote:
    Update II: And things have turned surreal. Dan Morrill, from Google's Android team, has confirmed that there's a date-related bug in the Droid's camera software that leads to it having cycles of good and bad focus that depend on the date. Our own testing confirmed this, as backdating to the 11th of November returned those red bars of of failure. Apparently, the cycles last 24.5 days, meaning that you'll have good focus all the way to December 11, when the real fix is expected to drop. So breathe easy, Gotham, there are no phantom updates, just an oddly date-sentient camera.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's super-odd.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So whats the real threat with apps; I see the warnings and don't want anything to have access to my calls. But I'm sure I'm just be overly paranoid.

Like the Weather app sounds cool, but it has access to a lot of stuff. Whats the real risk?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Granted I've only had my Droid for a few days, but seems like my camera is noisier when focusing since the update

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • colawarscolawars Pittsburgh, PARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So whats the real threat with apps; I see the warnings and don't want anything to have access to my calls. But I'm sure I'm just be overly paranoid.

Like the Weather app sounds cool, but it has access to a lot of stuff. Whats the real risk?

Risk? I'm of the exact opposite end of the spectrum. The longer the list of shit the program has access to, the quicker I am to hit the 'install' button. I'm almost 2 weeks into having an Andriod phone and I'm still blown away by the functionality of apps I keep discovering. I think if you google me you can see a map of where I'm at, and wherever i've been for the past few days. It's horribly inaccurate, but my general whereabouts in the Pittsburgh area are represented.

colawars on
    3DS: 1049-1266-2726
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I can get this at Best Buy for $199 with a 2 year contract and not have to pay 300 and wait for a rebate?

Goose! on
    edited November 2009
    Yes, and Verizon taxes you on the *full* price of the droid ($500+), I know Costco sells it for $199 (no rebate), tax on the sale price, and throws in some cheap accessories too.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yes, and Verizon taxes you on the *full* price of the droid ($500+)
    Uh.. that's not Verizon, that's a state law in California and I think one other state?

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    JAEF wrote: »
    Uh.. that's not Verizon, that's a state law in California and I think one other state?

Then why didn't costco?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited November 2009

Then why didn't costco?
    What state are you in? That's a very good question I have no ability to answer without more information about the circumstances.

JAEF on
    edited November 2009
    I'm in CA

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited November 2009
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    haven't spoken to a verizon rep yet but it seems that if you're in contract and not eligible for an upgrade you have to pay full price.

I get why, I just think they ought to toss contracted customers a bone and stick it to the month to monthers instead; it's not like I want the damn thing for free, just want to pay what any jerk walking in off the street can pay.

Kriz on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Kriz wrote: »
    haven't spoken to a verizon rep yet but it seems that if you're in contract and not eligible for an upgrade you have to pay full price.

I get why, I just think they ought to toss contracted customers a bone and stick it to the month to monthers instead; it's not like I want the damn thing for free, just want to pay what any jerk walking in off the street can pay.

You do realize how much money we lose... Also, there are some promotions going on. call into Cust Service and see if your line is elligible. Some people have Ineligible Eligible Upgrades to upgrade from a non-smartphone to a smartphone.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    edited November 2009
    bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited November 2009

Costco may just be eating the difference to keep prices low.

You can also order online and get the discount instant, but then you have to wait. Mine was order on Friday get the following Monday, so wasn't too bad.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, Best Buy's telling me I'd have to pay full retail or use my brother's upgrade.

Goose! on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stupid email sync question:

Is there a way to disable notifications for email, but only some of the time? I still want to be notified of work email when I'm not at work, but if I am at work, I have my PC, so I don't need my phone beeping/blinking every 5 minutes when I spend most of my day staring at Outlook anyway.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
    edited November 2009
    TheScruple wrote: »

Is there a way to disable notifications for email, but only some of the time? I still want to be notified of work email when I'm not at work, but if I am at work, I have my PC, so I don't need my phone beeping/blinking every 5 minutes when I spend most of my day staring at Outlook anyway.

FoxyRing might do what you're looking for.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited November 2009
    My brother allowed me to use his upgrade and the phone should be arriving on Friday :D

Goose! on
  • TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

FoxyRing doesn't do exactly what I was looking for, but having the standard sleep timer is awesome. Thanks!

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

Then why didn't costco?
    What state are you in? That's a very good question I have no ability to answer without more information about the circumstances.

Pretty sure the other state is NY, because when I got my Hero from Sprint they charged me tax on the full price before incentives and rebates.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited November 2009
    Well my Droid froze up overnight. That will be the last time I use it for an alarm clock for work.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Well my Droid froze up overnight. That will be the last time I use it for an alarm clock for work.
    Yeah, that sort of instability comes with owning a smartphone, really. I haven't had any hard crashes yet, so I still use it as an alarm clock. That may catch up with me.

For what it's worth, your lock was almost certainly caused by one of your third-party apps. Everyone is scrambling to patch up their little app for the Droid. And my experience so far has been that most Android apps are anything but professionally developed and tested. ;P

gilrain on
    edited November 2009
    It would be nice to know which app was doing it, I have a decent number installed. Or if they collected statistics and correlated crash rate with applications installed.

RandomEngy on
    edited November 2009
    I've read that one of the task killer apps in causing some issues.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone had their email shit the bed? I went from 4 perfectly working accounts at 2:30 today to Please Setup An Account at 3:00.

All 4 accounts gone. The only thing that I can think of is that I may have set up my work email as exchage and I am not paying the extra 15/month for that. Would they have killed off all of my Advanced Taks Killer Free, so I suppose an untimely termination might have done it.

LaPuzza on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    LaPuzza wrote: »
    Has anyone had their email shit the bed? I went from 4 perfectly working accounts at 2:30 today to Please Setup An Account at 3:00.

All 4 accounts gone. The only thing that I can think of is that I may have set up my work email as exchage and I am not paying the extra 15/month for that. Would they have killed off all of my Advanced Taks Killer Free, so I suppose an untimely termination might have done it.
    The extra $15 is misinformation. You do not have to pay extra for Exchange. The misinformation came about because a "business" account data plan is $15 more than a "personal" account data plan. However, all data plans support Exchange. Whatever you have is fine.

gilrain on
    edited November 2009
    gilrain wrote: »

The extra $15 is misinformation. You do not have to pay extra for Exchange. The misinformation came about because a "business" account data plan is $15 more than a "personal" account data plan. However, all data plans support Exchange. Whatever you have is fine.

They tried to tell me on purchase that there was "some stuff" that it would not do if I did not pay the 15 bucks. I was afraid I tried to do that stuff and verizon/Jesus decided to punish me.

LaPuzza on
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

FoxyRing doesn't do exactly what I was looking for, but having the standard sleep timer is awesome. Thanks!

Locale works along the same lines as FoxyRing, maybe that will have the option.

YodaTuna on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Funny you should mention it... My e-mail account mysteriously disappeared today and I have no idea why. I had to set it up again. Not exchange or anything, just a regular ol' Hotmail, so... Maybe they had some kind of server-side problem? Hm.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm planning on picking up a Droid Eris tomorrow since my contract is up. However, I'm new to the smartphone game and I'm wondering about the things I've heard regarding an Android 2.0 update in the works for this phone. Is that something that generally becomes available for phones that ship with the current 1.5 version?

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Iroh wrote: »
    I'm planning on picking up a Droid Eris tomorrow since my contract is up. However, I'm new to the smartphone game and I'm wondering about the things I've heard regarding an Android 2.0 update in the works for this phone. Is that something that generally becomes available for phones that ship with the current 1.5 version?

HTC has stated that they are working on an Android 2.0 version of the HTC Sense UI for the Hero. Since the Droid Eris is basically running the same software it bears to reason once its released for the Hero the Eris will get it too.

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
    edited November 2009
    GMaster7 wrote: »

Funny you should mention it... My e-mail account mysteriously disappeared today and I have no idea why. I had to set it up again. Not exchange or anything, just a regular ol' Hotmail, so... Maybe they had some kind of server-side problem? Hm.

I called them yesterday and they said it was the first they'd heard of it. Offered me a new phone if a hard reset didn't fix it.

LaPuzza on
    edited November 2009
    Are you possibly using any email apps that might have messed with it? I have yet to have any problems with mine. Although I mostly use gmail, but have a hotmail account on there, don't really check it too often though.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Quick question for Droid owners out there: My boyfriend has a Droid, it's his second one since his first crashed/froze repeatedly and there was nothing that could be done to fix it. However, when he uses the camera on this one, it makes a clicking/grinding sound when starting up, focusing, and taking the picture. In my opinion, it doesn't sound too unlike a normal camera, maybe a little rougher but I chalked that up to the Droid being a cellphone, not a dedicated camera. He's pretty worried about it though, and isn't sure if he got another lemon and he should replace it since he thinks the grinding will wear out the camera quickly.

Thoughts? Has anyone else had this problem? He's going to take it in to a Verizon store sometime next week, but I was curious if anyone else had this experience.

Spacemilk on