As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I suck balls at hands in 2D but in 3d they are a breeeezzeee. Also, post that with some mesh showin Delz.

Kochikens on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    badonkwf.png

Delzhand on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How are you planning to detail the girl? Given her body type and hair, she's getting dangerously close to "generic anime girl x".

Tam on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Try to avoid so many tris if you can, Delz. Plan to avoid them. Especially in the area where you're gonna be putting her eye. Make your base mesh as clean as humanly possible, itll make your life SO much easier if youre gonna texture her or up res her. Are you building her with a reference plane to her front and side?

BTW, I'd build the hand seperately then import it in if you're scared of it.

Kochikens on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Doodle my tutor drew of me on the white board in studio last week. Got a snap of it before it was rubbed off

114zri.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
    edited November 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    How are you planning to detail the girl? Given her body type and hair, she's getting dangerously close to "generic anime girl x".

I'm right about at the level of detail I want, so the mesh probably won't change too much. I might tweak the face a bit so the UV mapping is a bit cleaner. This is for a game character that probably won't be viewed too close. Once I finish up the hair and hands, I'm going to start building the outfit, cobbled together from some business-mobster-edwardian fashions.

Most of the character detail will come from the texture mapping and outfit mesh.

Delzhand on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Tam wrote: »
    cakemikz wrote: »
    A collaborative sketch my buddy Mike and I did using my tablet on the plane yesterday. We also did one in my sketchbook but I haven't gotten around to taking photos of it yet.

collab1.jpg

It's like Dinotopia

but not as awesome

i fucking love dinotopia illustrated books, such an interesting world.

And cake, thats fucking awsome!!

edit- wck- dude wheres the optimism D:?

deadlydorito on
  • D-RobeD-Robe Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    James Gurney is cool.
    That is all.

D-Robe on
    Cheese.
    edited November 2009
    Need some helps. My work has me do caricature for the people who retire. It's usually pretty fun, but this time it is my former boss and also artist and I'd like to make him proud:

Doncopy.jpg

he likes to paint and grill...

here is his real life picture:
    Donpic.jpg

His glasses have changed which is why they are square, any crits to help me out here?

It seems like in the caricature he has stubble, but an actual beard in the photograph. Maybe concentrate more on the outline of the beard than the individual hairs?

Delzhand on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    badonkwf.png

Capital Knockers!

Godfather on
    edited November 2009
    Painting for one of my mates. Its his 21st in a 1.5 weeks and hes a huge MJ fan too!

WIP shot

117zv.jpg

I also did one for him last year, if anyone remembers...
    i3ykh1.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    gren i wanna bone your printing apparatus

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    WCK, for the future - if you want that clean white matted look, put some painter's tape down before you start painting. At the end, take it off, and you'll have beautiful clean edges.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The dinosaur I posted yesterday has no personality so I tried taking him in another direction, but stopped with a bust because I began to think he looked too much like Wally Gator. Any ideas/Thoughts/Input?

astrowally.jpg

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited November 2009
    I think it just needs more emphasis on the lower jaw. Also, the big dinos had pretty large skulls, and I think the eye-ridge extends downward makes it seem like his head is small. The way the neck is bent on the carnivores probably meant there weren't a lot of skin folds like you seen on crocs and gators.

Delzhand on
  • BuckwolfeBuckwolfe Starts With Them, Ends With Us Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Cake, I wish I had some kind of prize to give you for those sketches, because they're gorgeous.

Buckwolfe on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Crowleston, even with something so cartoony it would be a good idea to look up some references.

You can't really stylize something if you don't have a full understanding of what it looks like to begin with.

Dino Croc

DeeLock on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't know where I was going with this, I suppose that's why it's a doodle.
    pigeoneagle.jpg

Prospicience on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The shit coming out and splashing was a nice, subtle touch. I almost didn't notice it.

Metalbourne on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Could I get some feedback on these sketches, please?

5b.jpg

7b.jpg

F87 on
    edited November 2009
    The poses communicate what's going on well, but they're a bit unnatural. In the first one, the page isn't quite facing the character and isn't on a steady plane - the spine of the book is, but not the page on which he's writing.

The second one is similar. The single outstretched arm remind me of Chinese calligraphy, not handwriting. People tend to lean forward when writing on a desk, and use the non-writing hand to keep the writing surface from moving.

Delzhand on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Buckwolfe wrote: »
    Cake, I wish I had some kind of prize to give you for those sketches, because they're gorgeous.

Thanks buddy, I was a little disappointed that nobody had commented so this makes me feel better.

rts on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah they were nice, i think no one said anything because there werent any horruble mistakes to comment on, and otherwise tbey were a lot like the zoo stuff you have posted before.

(horrible mispelled for emphasis)

JohnTWM on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cardinals.jpg

State bird.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    new painting, mugshot of a celebrity I hope you recognize without clicking through to the fullsized version.

4116312480_b9d1b2bce0.jpg

mattharvest on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I read that and thought "Well, unless it's David Bowie I got nothing."

So it all worked out pretty ok I guess.

tynic on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mes3: Virginia? I think that makes three of us (that I know you). Me you, and guy bell. If either of you are near northern VA, we should meet up and draw!

Matt, I guessed it no prob.

Sublimus on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks for any advice and critique! I played with a bit, I think I'll go back to the drawing board for a bit. I spent some time looking at fossils and such more and less at my original drawing. As of now I'm more satisfied, but need to finalize things a bit more.

THANKSSS.

astroside.jpg

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    still a WIP trying to get the water right before i go any further but comments welcome :) its for my self improvement challenge
    boatstorm3.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Mes3: Virginia? I think that makes three of us (that I know you). Me you, and guy bell. If either of you are near northern VA, we should meet up and draw!

<- Indiana. :P

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • Guy BellGuy Bell Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Sublimus wrote: »

Matt, I guessed it no prob.

The Woodbridge, Alexandria etc. traffic jam. We should do some projects together after the holidays (This is the busiest time of year for wine salesmen)

Guy Bell on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Buckwolfe wrote: »

Thanks buddy, I was a little disappointed that nobody had commented so this makes me feel better.

i think your sketches were sexy 8-)

RubberAC on
  • SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it turns out that the cardinal is the state bird for SEVEN FUCKING STATES.

But since VA is the oldest, I'm calling dibs, and the rest of you cardinal states can suck it.

Sublimus on
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    my design project!

basel.jpg

Obilex on
  • verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have been practicing drawing with a skull today, all the drawings suck of course but I kinda liked this one. There is so much detail in a human skull that I had never really though about before I don't even know where to start. But it sure it educational.

skullmanw.th.jpg

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15
  • ObilexObilex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    clouds!

sxaop.jpg

Obilex on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    Another monster piece for an online game. The request was pretty open ended other than "spiked beast". It doesn't look much like them but I was thinking about the dog demons from Ghostbusters.

beast.jpg

DMAC on
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    @DMAC: :^:, as always. I'm not sure about it's rear, right leg though. It looks a bit lit it's just growing out his/her stomach.

@Mes: Neat! The stylisation works really well.

@Obelix: That texture feels more 'grunge' than 'cloudy' to me. Also, I'm not sure the white highlights are working. I'm digging the colour pallet though.

@verpakeyes: The most important thing is to not draw what you think you see, but what you are actually looking at. Even small changes in perspective make a massive difference, and no two skulls are quite the same. If you're looking for somewhere to start, the questions/tutorial thread has some great advice. :)

Flay on
    edited November 2009
    SHIT!!!! Have to call my mates birthday painting present quits. It was looking good too! I decided to experiment with a new type of board (which obviously isnt meant for painting on) and my picture is starting to peel off around the edges!

118ab.jpg

oh well
    starting again but on a bigger, badass piece of masonite board. Still got a little over a week to finish this before his 21st :)

119ul.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Could I get some feedback on these sketches, please?

5b.jpg

7b.jpg

They're both holding those quills really awkwardly. Look up "write" in GIS for some hand refs.

Also, mostly for the girl: you don't lean back in your chair and extend your hand that far out to write on something in front of you. You end up leaning over a bit so you can see what you're writing from a more vertical angle. Trying to write at that distance from the paper [parchment? olol] would be silly!

NightDragon on
This discussion has been closed.