As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trouble installing Windows XP

fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
So I'm trying to install Windows XP on my computer so I can upgrade it to Windows 7 (the school I go to only sells upgrade disc), but I've run into some trouble.

First of all, my Windows XP Pro CD broke and instead I'm using a torrent of a Windows XP Pro CD to install (it's not being pirated, I have a legitimate Windows XP Pro CD). After mounting the ISO onto a disc and performing a read first CD/DVD option, it goes to Windows XP installation. However, upon completion of the installation it says it is going to restart to proceed to the next part to finish the installation. Here is where my trouble starts.

After restart, it goes past the normal mobo screen and it sends me back to "Press any key to read CD/DVD" and sends me to the beginning of the installation process all over again. I don't know if its the ISO I'm using (so far I've used 2 different ones) or if I'm doing something wrong? I'd really appreciate your help and I'm sorry if this violates some kind of rule by posting this here. I just want to be able to install XP to my system so I can upgrade it to Windows 7 and not have to worry about Windows 7 shutting down 30 days after installation. I appreciate all the help I can get.

(I can post system specs upon request and as of now my HD is completely reformatted and I have some partition space for the OS to go, the only thing on it right now has been the unsuccessful attempt at installing Windows XP)

daleyk.png
fmz65 on

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    just remove the CD after the install at reboot, before your computer prompts you to read the CD. your computer should boot right into WinXP at that point.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I've tried that but it usually just goes to "Boot from CD/DVD" and freezes there (the step before press any key to read from CD)

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can install Windows 7 without upgrading.

DOING A CLEAN INSTALL WITH AN UPGRADE VERSION OF WINDOWS 7

3) Okay. So you've got your backups in order, and your software ready. Now you can do the install. Reboot your machine and boot off the Windows 7 ISO disc that you made earlier. Go through and complete the installation steps. You'll format your hard drive, prep your OS account, etc., etc.

4) When you get to the screen asking for your product key. STOP! Don't enter anything. Leave the product key boxes blank, and UNCHECK the "Automatically activate Windows when I'm online" box. Click the next button and continue the installation as normal.

5) After installation, you'll have a fully functioning Windows 7 OS. Download all of the critial updates from Microsoft's windows update website, and load your programs if you wish.

6) Now, after all that, you can activate Windows 7 (you have 30 days to do this, btw). Right-click on "My Computer" and choose "Properties". From there you should see a "Activate Windows Now" link. Click on it and enter your product key.

Hopefully that will work for you so you won't have to install xp and avoid this mess entirely.

Skye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Hmmm... I'll try that and see how it goes.

I think I did that during the initial install, but when I input my product key it tells me that the CD is only for upgrade and not for a clean install.

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    SkyeSkye Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Well it looks like you're supposed to leave the product key space blank during install so that it installs the trial version. You input your key after you install W7.

Skye on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Sweet sweet success, Skye I would offer to have your chillun if I were a woman-folk! I guess what happened was I didn't de-select the "Automatically activate Windows..." button

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png