As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Adding more Smilies to the list (is this possible?)

KING LITERATEKING LITERATE Registered User regular
I have a crapload of smilies in my photobucket account and was wondering if there was a way I could add them to the list so everyone could use them.

Diamond FC: 3867 1354 8291
TWITTER TWATS
KING LITERATE on

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    No.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    God, I hope not.

Thanatos on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    No.

You are not a member of the administrative staff. Don't answer questions aimed at them.
    I have a crapload of smilies in my photobucket account and was wondering if there was a way I could add them to the list so everyone could use them.

I have a profound distaste for images as a means of communication so there are no plans to add more smilies at this time.

Tube on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Were some smilies removed in the recent past? I seem to remember :| being an emoticon but that seems to have been lost.

Brolo on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009

I have a profound distaste for images as a means of communication so there are no plans to add more smilies at this time.

I'd point out the irony of the admin of a forum built around a comic strip harbouring this opinion but I don't want to give ammunition to the pro-smilie argument.

Just don't let the artist's corner hear you saying this, I advise, with my tongue metaphorically in cheek.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'm a mod on another forum and too loathe images as a means of communication. We recently had an influx of "newbies", one in particular had a propensity for 4chan image macros.

All it took was two lolcats, and a demotivational poster. One swipe of a ban-hammer later and the example was set. At least in my forum I am trying to create an environment inductive to communication and community. Not posting silly pictures or icons when you have nothing intelligent to say. One can see what happened when :awesome: was introduced in the SA forums.

I'm pretty sure it's the same way here.

halkun on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    halkun wrote: »
    I'm a mod on another forum and too loathe images as a means of communication. We recently had an influx of "newbies", one in particular had a propensity for 4chan image macros.

All it took was two lolcats, and a demotivational poster. One swipe of a ban-hammer later and the example was set. At least in my forum I am trying to create an environment inductive to communication and community. Not posting silly pictures or icons when you have nothing intelligent to say. One can see what happened when :awesome: was introduced in the SA forums.

I'm pretty sure it's the same way here.

What, pray tell, happened when :awesome: was introduced to SA? Because unless I'm quite mistaken, and I know I'm not because I've been reading the SA fora for going on years now, they're pretty fucking stringent about making sure you don't just post like awesomeface and call it a day in posts. That's something GAF will tolerate, not SA. Sure, it might've lead to an influx of posts early on with Awesomeface and nothing else, but SA is pretty fucking on top of it when it comes to not tolerating the bullshit, and always has been. In addition, the helpfulness of their smilies offsets the annoyance of overuse....I've never seen a central thought conveyed as well as :awesome:, "It is a mystery", or "LET'S RUN THIS SHIT INTO THE FUCKING GROUND!"

Anyways my view on it is is smilies help express an emotion that's difficult/impossible to convey in words and/or help clarify a point. That's why I hope we can get the :rollseyes: smiley back because it's so goddamn difficult to convey sarcasm accurately without it (Poe's Law and all that) and it'd just clarify so many accidental arguments that result of misinterpreted sarcasm on these boards.

Rent on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Images by themselves as a means of communication are dumb. In conjunction with words they serve a needed purpose.

Context.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    I disagree that any emoticon can serve a purpose that mere words cannot. You may have to type a bit more, but... eh, effort.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Emoticons bring tonal context to written words.

Because sometimes you gotta say something and there just isn't a right way to say it by text. Emoticons at times can fix this.

Unless you're the kind of dude who doesn't give a damn who they offend/hurt.

That said, I can see how a flurry of them could get tiresome fast.

e: Also it's worth mentioning that in order to provide the context I'm talking about you basically only need about 3-4 different faces.

Which essentially...invalidates...everything I've said up to this point.

God.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I disagree that any emoticon can serve a purpose that mere words cannot. You may have to type a bit more, but... eh, effort.

Sarcasm and most types of irony can lose its effectiveness, that's impossible to convey in words without it being Poe's Law breaking without ruining the effect

This shit happens all the time in D and D. One little emoticon would solve the entire problem easily

Rent on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Rent wrote: »

Sarcasm and most types of irony can lose its effectiveness, that's impossible to convey in words without it being Poe's Law breaking without ruining the effect

This shit happens all the time in D and D. One little emoticon would solve the entire problem easily

God, there you go again Rent! <_<

Henroid on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You can always use the image tag to use an emoticon, though you risk incurring Tube's wrath if you reaffirm his dislike of images as a method of communication. panic.gif

MKR on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I like the current set of emoticons. It's a small, but functional, list. Lord forbid we end up with the monstrous system that, say, deviantART has.

Cyvros on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Somehow, a handpicked set of words grouped into sentences and paragraphs are not enough to convey intent, yet a small image that the forums parse out of a message using single word keywords is? It boggles the mind.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited November 2009
    Somehow, a handpicked set of words grouped into sentences and paragraphs are not enough to convey intent, yet a small image that the forums parse out of a message using single word keywords is? It boggles the mind.

There are instances where a single emoticon is adequate. Lots of <3s get tossed around in SE++ and it seems to work perfectly.

MKR on
    edited November 2009
    My point wasn't that emotes were inadequate, it was that it does not compute that emotes may be adequate yet words are not.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the advantage of emoticons is that people don't have to write "I'm kidding" or "Oh, that sounds a bit sexually suggestive" when, in real life, facial expressions would do that job. When you're talking, tone and body language expresses things that monotone speech doesn't. And emoticons being representations of... facial expressions or body language, they serve a purpose.

Cyvros on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    having emoticons means you have more tools with which to make an owny post

images can strike a person in a way that words cannot and humor is all about the delivery

anyone who is Very Concerned about images being used in posts should perhaps consider relaxing

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    some bastard removed the rolling eyes emoticon, it was perfect for letting people know your post was sarcasm, which is sometimes difficult to tell since that concept is best conveyed with speech tones and patterns.

...and yet mrgreen survives...

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    anyone who is Very Concerned about images being used in posts should perhaps consider relaxing

You seem to be taking it considerably more seriously than anyone else in the thread.

Tube on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    More emoticons are cool but don't let them be "automatic", like :D is, or even 8) (hmm I guess this one got removed, yay)

Intensely annoying to have an otherwise normal post be raided by unintentional emotes. This comes up a lot when posting code snippets, etc.

Jasconius on
    edited November 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »
    More emoticons are cool but don't let them be "automatic", like :D is, or even 8) (hmm I guess this one got removed, yay)

Intensely annoying to have an otherwise normal post be raided by unintentional emotes. This comes up a lot when posting code snippets, etc.

try the disable smilies checkbox. it is moist and delicious.

keep your fork, there's pie! :winky:

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

You seem to be taking it considerably more seriously than anyone else in the thread.

i don't think so

i would like the winky to be dragged out back and shot, however

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited November 2009

i don't think so

Blasphemer

MKR on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If any are in fact added now or in the future I would like to nominate

:3

It is a walrus.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    edited November 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    If any are in fact added now or in the future I would like to nominate

:3

It is a walrus.

And then you get people saying it's a cow, or some anime thing.

And then Tube goes on a rage-induced spree of changing the names of the people talking about it for 100 pages to ":3 is balls."

MKR on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    the cheat wrote: »
    some bastard removed the rolling eyes emoticon, it was perfect for letting people know your post was sarcasm, which is sometimes difficult to tell since that concept is best conveyed with speech tones and patterns.

I do miss :rolleyes:, but really, you can indicate sarcasm perfectly well with many of the other smilies which are still there

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2009
    Also they don't really need to add any more smilies because you can just use whatever emoticon you want from your own hosting.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Spoit wrote: »

I do miss :rolleyes:, but really, you can indicate sarcasm perfectly well with many of the other smilies which are still there

in the G&T TF2 thread (and a wee bit outside there), smug.gif (google it if you care) is used to replace it unofficially for denoting sarcasm

not really makin' a point here, just sayin'.

L|ama on
  • JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009

I'd also like to shoot a winky out the back. :winky:

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    L|ama wrote: »
    Spoit wrote: »

in the G&T TF2 thread (and a wee bit outside there), smug.gif (Hotlinking is a terrible idea) is used to replace it unofficially for denoting sarcasm

not really makin' a point here, just sayin'.
    FYI, if the person you're leeching that from ever decides to replace it with something like goatse, we're going to ban the shit out of all of you.

Hotlinking is a really fucking awful idea.

Thanatos on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    People usually rehost it on tinypic or something, I was just lazy then.

L|ama on
    edited November 2009
    I just keep my own arsenal on hand in my own photobucket account, with a link to my 'bucket in my bookmarks toolbar for easy access.

~Tips from a Pro Poster~

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Jasconius wrote: »

If you want to post code snippets, there's a
    tag.

[code]
    o_O:arrow::?::winky:D::...::...:

It won't automatically parse emoticons, even though I didn't check disable.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • HerroHerro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    I always thought :3 was a ball sack

Herro on
    edited November 2009
    Herro wrote: »
    I always thought :3 was a ball sack

thanks, now i will never see it any other way.

i guess the wink is good enough for sarcasm.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • JDubJDub Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I've always seen :3 as a cute person making those god aweful duck lips.

Or as the 4chan meme "its a lion! get in the car!" etc.

JDub on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    JDub wrote: »
    I've always seen :3 as a cute person making those god aweful duck lips.

Or as the 4chan meme "its a lion! get in the car!" etc.

Or a cat.
    dsc03212.jpg

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited November 2009
    a cat is fine too.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1