As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XBLA & PC] Gyromancer: Square-Enix & PopCap take on Puzzle Quest

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gabe is pissed -
    I was very excited about Gyromancer and I decided to grab it on the PC since I saw it right there in Steam when I went to play Torchlight. I remember now why I quit playing games on the PC.

I installed the game game but when I tried to launch it would fail. I got some ambiguous error report about how the program encountered an error. I tried deleting and re installing the game a few times to see if that did anything. When that didn't work I went and checked all my updates and drivers. My machine was up to date so I tried re-starting a few times. Still no luck, so I hit a couple forums and found a thread full of people with the same problem. One of the suggested solutions involved altering the .exe file and forcing it to run at 640x480 via the compatibility sub menu. When I tried to do this, Windows 7 launched some sort of compatibility wizard. This thing started asking me questions about my problem and none of them really matched. I ran through it a couple times but no matter how I answered the questions I couldn't get the game to launch.

I went back to the forum and dug a little deeper in the thread. Towards the end I found a post that suggested changing your desktop resolution to 800x600, loading the game and switching the in game video mode to 16:9. This got me into the game but after I changed the video mode in game my mouse didn't work. I was able to use the arrow keys to save the settings and back out. I re-launched the game and now it ran in a little window.

I moved a couple of gems around and then quit.

-Gabe out

august on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    august wrote: »
    The only twist game I've played before was that twist minigame in plants vs. zombies, and I was horrible at it. The fact that you can make twists without actually making any matches is blowing my mind. And I'm also too tired to understand what the holy hell is going on. I guess I expected the monster to also make matches? Or something? I guess it... just... makes those specific tiles blow up? And there are gauges and numbers.

Yeah I'll figure it out tomorrow. Maybe.

Although there are other crazy JRPG rules, the basics are pretty straight-forward.

When you make a move that makes a match, your meter fills up. When you make a move that doesn't make a match, your opponent's meter fills up. Make a match with your special color and your meter improves more, make a match with your opponent's special color and his meter goes down.

When your meter fills up, a special gem appears. Match it and good stuff happens (usually gems disappear, damage is dealt to your opponent). When your opponent's meter fills up, a special gem appears with a turn counter on it that decreases every turn. Match it in time and you're safe. If it's still there when its meter is 0, stuff happens (usually gems disappear, damage is dealt to you). Whoever runs out of HP first loses. The specifics of what happens is dependent on what beast you're using and what opponent you're fighting.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I got it for the 360 and love it. It works. So. I think that probably helps. Its just damn fun though. And I got owned by a crazy ass lair boss dragon. I mean. I killed it at the expense of two of my monsters and actually somehow managed to finish the level as well but man. Thing was a bastard.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    The only twist game I've played before was that twist minigame in plants vs. zombies, and I was horrible at it. The fact that you can make twists without actually making any matches is blowing my mind. And I'm also too tired to understand what the holy hell is going on. I guess I expected the monster to also make matches? Or something? I guess it... just... makes those specific tiles blow up? And there are gauges and numbers.

Yeah I'll figure it out tomorrow. Maybe.

Although there are other crazy JRPG rules, the basics are pretty straight-forward.

When you make a move that makes a match, your meter fills up. When you make a move that doesn't make a match, your opponent's meter fills up. Make a match with your special color and your meter improves more, make a match with your opponent's special color and his meter goes down.

When your meter fills up, a special gem appears. Match it and good stuff happens (usually gems disappear, damage is dealt to your opponent). When your opponent's meter fills up, a special gem appears with a turn counter on it that decreases every turn. Match it in time and you're safe. If it's still there when its meter is 0, stuff happens (usually gems disappear, damage is dealt to you). Whoever runs out of HP first loses. The specifics of what happens is dependent on what beast you're using and what opponent you're fighting.

Yeah I don't get why these are "crazy JRPG rules". I mean it really isn't that hard to understand.

urahonky on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I bought it, and love it so far.

I can't see this 'JRPG' thing either.

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Gabe is pissed -
    I was very excited about Gyromancer and I decided to grab it on the PC since I saw it right there in Steam when I went to play Torchlight. I remember now why I quit playing games on the PC.

I installed the game game but when I tried to launch it would fail. I got some ambiguous error report about how the program encountered an error. I tried deleting and re installing the game a few times to see if that did anything. When that didn't work I went and checked all my updates and drivers. My machine was up to date so I tried re-starting a few times. Still no luck, so I hit a couple forums and found a thread full of people with the same problem. One of the suggested solutions involved altering the .exe file and forcing it to run at 640x480 via the compatibility sub menu. When I tried to do this, Windows 7 launched some sort of compatibility wizard. This thing started asking me questions about my problem and none of them really matched. I ran through it a couple times but no matter how I answered the questions I couldn't get the game to launch.

I went back to the forum and dug a little deeper in the thread. Towards the end I found a post that suggested changing your desktop resolution to 800x600, loading the game and switching the in game video mode to 16:9. This got me into the game but after I changed the video mode in game my mouse didn't work. I was able to use the arrow keys to save the settings and back out. I re-launched the game and now it ran in a little window.

I moved a couple of gems around and then quit.

-Gabe out

he mad

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Mobile-DMobile-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    For people having trouble with the 5,000 point medals on each map:

I've found the best way to farm points is to use one of the spider monsters and realllllly drag out each fight. If you stall for time you can get your puzzle points up to the 200+ range before you pop one of your ability gems. Then just make sure a few of them fire at once for a 99% overkill bonus and you're good to go.

Mobile-D on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    poshniallo wrote: »

Come on. ATB system. Gil! I had a list! There were like five things on it!

Monger on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I just got the demo.

No resolution settings is kinda... uh? I mean you can choose apect ratio. Or something. And fullscreen looks like 16:9 so it looks right on my screen. Just no way to pick actual resolution. I think.

Other Popcap games are like that too. I think the game being 2D is one of the main reasons for it.

Peewi on
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yea, this game is clearly in the same vein as Borderlands for me. I can just see myself angrily enjoying the game just because it seems like it doesn't want me to like it.

All of these "slightly broken but not really broken we swear!" ports coming to Steam make me think it's time to hold off on buying stuff.

WeX Majors on
    edited November 2009
    Monger wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

Come on. ATB system. Gil! I had a list! There were like five things on it!

Gil I get, though that's more Japanese than JRPG.

It doesn't have ATB or anything similar. Chains? Rush? What's JRPG about those?

poshniallo on
  • RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Of course this game played by JRPG rules, most notably the worst ones.

-You don't create your character. You play as some random dude the developers spend the entire time desperately trying to make relatable.

-You can customize your character to an extent but it's mostly a "replace old stuff with better stuff" model, with pretty clear-cut "best" strategies for any given situation.

-If you just do the main quest you'll be underprepared, and most of the sidequesting is a grindy timesink.

-The game blurs the specifics of its own mechanics. I still don't know how damage is calculated and the game doesn't tell you much beyond "Attacks hurt things."

I'm not saying the game is bad, just that I notice a lot of things I generally don't like about JRPGs and Square-Enix games in general. Now, admittedly I'm not very far into the game, but that's what it looks like from where I'm standing.

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    EdS25 wrote: »
    So, uh, there's a pretty large difficulty spike after the first few stages. You know how it's fun to not let the enemy attack? Yeah . . you can't do that anymore. It's called "Idle Twist" and it's sort of wrecking the game for me. I mean, I knew it was too easy, and this does add some much needed strategery but I liked breezing through it. Guess I should check to see if there's an option to turn it off . . . . at least until I'm generally better at Twist.

Can someone give more detail on this 'idle twist' concept? Cheers.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So, in case people haven't already noticed, the game tells you when you have the cursor over something which will make a match.

Vincent Grayson on
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game is oodles of fun. Though I have to say having it random crash to desktop was less than awesome. At least it auto-saves constantly so I didn't actually lose anything.

Nishu on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Remember in PUzzle Quest, how if you made a move that didn't result in a match you'd lose some life and the move would reset?

In this game, you can, on your turn, rotate any 4 gems regardless of whether they make a match or not. Sometimes it's important to do so, in order to set up a later match.

The problem is this: every move you make, regardless of whether it makes a match or not, adds some power to your opponent's ability gauges. Meaning that if you make a lot of switches without making matches, you are helping your opponent out and not getting any benefit.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited November 2009
    how long is the game? optional sidestuff and collecting included. around plants vs zombies?

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GoodOmens wrote: »

Remember in PUzzle Quest, how if you made a move that didn't result in a match you'd lose some life and the move would reset?

In this game, you can, on your turn, rotate any 4 gems regardless of whether they make a match or not. Sometimes it's important to do so, in order to set up a later match.

The problem is this: every move you make, regardless of whether it makes a match or not, adds some power to your opponent's ability gauges. Meaning that if you make a lot of switches without making matches, you are helping your opponent out and not getting any benefit.

Yeah the demo shows that much, but the below quote made it sound like there was a more active punishment for not making matches later on.
    So, uh, there's a pretty large difficulty spike after the first few stages. You know how it's fun to not let the enemy attack? Yeah . . you can't do that anymore. It's called "Idle Twist" and it's sort of wrecking the game for me. I mean, I knew it was too easy, and this does add some much needed strategery but I liked breezing through it. Guess I should check to see if there's an option to turn it off . . . . at least until I'm generally better at Twist.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited November 2009

Yeah the demo shows that much, but the below quote made it sound like there was a more active punishment for not making matches later on.

There is. The penalty gets worse and worse as you level.

poshniallo on
    edited November 2009
    Peewi wrote: »
    So I just got the demo.

No resolution settings is kinda... uh? I mean you can choose apect ratio. Or something. And fullscreen looks like 16:9 so it looks right on my screen. Just no way to pick actual resolution. I think.

Other Popcap games are like that too. I think the game being 2D is one of the main reasons for it.

I think I was expecting the options because it's inspired by Puzzle Quest (which has a plethora of resolutions, which you can combine with windowed mode to make more useful) and has a lot going on graphics-wise.

august on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So...anyone got this on the pc? I'm very curious.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I have this on PC and didn't have the crash problem on startup like some people, but it does tend to crash every hour or so, right to desktop. I suspect memory leak. I can hear some the sound starting to break up a little bit before it happens.

The game auto-saves after every battle so I've never lost any progress because of it.

I played it for over 3 hours so it must be doing something right. After beating the second stage I went back to the first one and completed all the challenges and found some new monsters that look pretty good. I was level 8 when I started that, and was level 11 when I left, even though I was beating up on lvl 1 -3 monsters most of the time (there were a few special guys around lvl 6 or so). They key to getting the high score is pretty much killing everything you see, and then making sure you are getting some good combos and cascades during the fight, hopefully getting some good overkilling to happen as well.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    So...anyone got this on the pc? I'm very curious.

My experiences are almost exactly the same as Menasor. No crashes at startup, but I've had two crashes to desktop in six hours. The game was obviously designed for consoles, and the interface constantly reminds you of this fact every time you have to do anything. Sometimes information is stored in weird places (your inventory screen, for instance, is located in the system menu). Though I will say I'm not sure why people are confused about the battle system. There's a pretty comprehensive battle glossary that explains everything pretty well. I wish I had access to more stats about the monsters I'm summoning so I could decide whether or not to replace them, and I would sacrifice a goat if I could have a map of the area instead of only what little I can see on my screen.

That being said, it's RPG goodness + Bejeweled Twist. I can't stop playing it. The game does a good job (so far, at least) of making each monster play differently. I have an electric werewolf type thing, for instance, and he's an offense monster. Starts with one ability gem on the board, gets a couple more in 2-3 moves. Has no subtlety at all, but he often ends fights in less than ten twists. On the other hand, I have a tree thing that doesn't have much in the way of attack abilities, but it can slowly raise my vitality and lower my opponents (providing healing/damage on every twist, respectively). I'm really enjoying fiddling with all the different monsters.

I'm finding the characterization refreshing as well. I'll spoil this next section, but I'll just be talking about my general impressions of the main character for the first section of the game.
    He's not an incompetent jackass, mainly. The RPG trope of little village boy or no-name soldier who saves the day is nowhere in sight. You play as the Great Mage. You're a badass, and you and everyone you meet knows it. I enjoy RPGs, both Japanese and Western, but it's still nice to play as someone who knows what he is doing from the start for a change.

Overall, despite the nitpicks, I'm very pleased.

Vi Monks on
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like what I need to hear. I'll pick it up and add it to my evergrowing pile of shit to do.

Torchlight, Borderlands, Dragon Age, this...and Armored Princess is coming soon as well plus the Borderlands DLC. Sigh.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited November 2009
    Sounds like what I need to hear. I'll pick it up and add it to my evergrowing pile of shit to do.

Torchlight, Borderlands, Dragon Age, this...and Armored Princess is coming soon as well plus the Borderlands DLC. Sigh.

Armored Princess is coming out soon?? God damnit. I just bought the God of War collection, having never played them on PS2. And we all know the giant list of new releases that everyone is playing. This season hurts so good...

Vi Monks on
    edited November 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Armored Princess is coming out soon?? God damnit. I just bought the God of War collection, having never played them on PS2. And we all know the giant list of new releases that everyone is playing. This season hurts so good...

Oh, and if AC2 is out on the pc (or soon) please don't tell me. And someone better delay the entire jan/feb lineup.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    edited November 2009
    Vi Monks wrote: »

Oh, and if AC2 is out on the pc (or soon) please don't tell me. And someone better delay the entire jan/feb lineup.

Luckily for you, AC2 isn't out on PC until March. That's why I bought it for PS3. I have no willpower.

Vi Monks on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Since people were curious I'll clarify the "Idle Twist" thing a little bit.

Before the penalty, it was normally quite easy to cancel your opponents attacks. There would only be one, maybe two on the board and you would have 6 or 7 moves to get it matched. I could pretty much cancel anything given that amount of time. And normally you would "need" to Idle Twist to do so, simply maneuvering your opponents block around the board in a few moves. In other words, you weren't expected to ALSO make 6 matches along the way.

After the penalty, the difficulty ramps up something fierce. Idle Twisting adds a LOT more to your opponents action bars. But the real kicker is that any Idle Twist that you use to try to cancel an attack decreases the clock by TWO. So typically it goes something like this:
    1) Opponent gets an attack ready.
    2) You try to make a move to cancel it.
    3) The countdown clock goes down by two, you add a ton of juice to your opponent, he gets 2 more attacks ready.
    4) Now the entire board is filled with attacks that you really can't cancel.

So you either have to spend the entire game trying to cancel their attacks, OR you can try to focus on your offense. I mean sure, obviously cancel an attack if it's convenient. I don't know about you guys, but so far I'm just not smart enough to say "okay an opponents attack is ready. In 3 moves I'm going to cancel it while simultaneously making matches in my favor and against his."

I'm not against the concept in general. I like the idea that maybe you just need to focus on the most powerful attack out there (you can highlight the attack block and see which one it is). Or maybe you just need to make sure they don't Rush you. I think what I would like to have seen is a gradual difficulty jump. Maybe start by adding the Idle Twist penalty but NOT the countdown clock penalty. That would have been a good middle ground for a couple stages. Also, I shudder to think what it would have been like had I not been 10 levels over everything I fought thus far.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
    edited November 2009
    Since people were curious I'll clarify the "Idle Twist" thing a little bit.

Before the penalty, it was normally quite easy to cancel your opponents attacks. There would only be one, maybe two on the board and you would have 6 or 7 moves to get it matched. I could pretty much cancel anything given that amount of time. And normally you would "need" to Idle Twist to do so, simply maneuvering your opponents block around the board in a few moves. In other words, you weren't expected to ALSO make 6 matches along the way.

After the penalty, the difficulty ramps up something fierce. Idle Twisting adds a LOT more to your opponents action bars. But the real kicker is that any Idle Twist that you use to try to cancel an attack decreases the clock by TWO. So typically it goes something like this:
    1) Opponent gets an attack ready.
    2) You try to make a move to cancel it.
    3) The countdown clock goes down by two, you add a ton of juice to your opponent, he gets 2 more attacks ready.
    4) Now the entire board is filled with attacks that you really can't cancel.

So you either have to spend the entire game trying to cancel their attacks, OR you can try to focus on your offense. I mean sure, obviously cancel an attack if it's convenient. I don't know about you guys, but so far I'm just not smart enough to say "okay an opponents attack is ready. In 3 moves I'm going to cancel it while simultaneously making matches in my favor and against his."

I'm not against the concept in general. I like the idea that maybe you just need to focus on the most powerful attack out there (you can highlight the attack block and see which one it is). Or maybe you just need to make sure they don't Rush you. I think what I would like to have seen is a gradual difficulty jump. Maybe start by adding the Idle Twist penalty but NOT the countdown clock penalty. That would have been a good middle ground for a couple stages. Also, I shudder to think what it would have been like had I not been 10 levels over everything I fought thus far.

Give it time. In PQ I went from 'WhatisthatskullohI'mdeadagainwhy?!?!?' to the 3-moves-ahead-thing like you imagined above. It just took lots of practise.

poshniallo on
  • MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you played Bejeweled Twist itself, you learned to never break the chain unless absolutley necessary. Never Idle Twist in order to maximize your score. Its worth letting a couple bad things happen to keep yourself rolling.

I've been playing that way so far, and I've never lost a fight yet. The only difference is that sometimes there really is no twist that makes a match. In the original, there was always a twist, the game would make sure that replacement gems would make at least one match available. It might not have been the one that blew up the bomb, but there was something.

You also learn to try to not leave orphan colors around if you can help it. Because of the twisting action, you want to twist in a way that puts colors together while you're making matches, because you have to have 2 colors adjacent to each other to have a chance at one. Staggered patters are fine for swap, but not here, so you have to be constantly be putting stuff next to each other in order to keep the board healthy and your options open while never breaking the chain. Like posh said, it takes practice.

Also, try to match from the bottom up. It helps keep the board healthy because gems only appear from the top, if you get staggered crap at the bottom it will never improve without idle twisting, so try to always make matches on the bottom of the board before taking some on the top, as a general rule. However, if you see that a bottom match would upset a higher up one, make the high one, then the low one. Just keep a closer eye on the bottom of the board more than the top. It makes for better cascades as well, can't get much action when only the top 2-3 lines are affected.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone figured out what the "Speed" bonus is when you finish a fight? Is it just the number of turns, or is it actual time elapsed?

In other words, if I sit there for a minute between turns, does that penalize me? I'm guessing not, but want to make sure.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • RocketlexRocketlex Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you're constantly breaking the chain to do stuff you're playing it wrong, anyway. I'm actually kinda pleased to hear that this "Idle Twist" comes into play later in the game. I'm finding it a little too tempting to just brute-force easy wins.

Also, keeping the chain nets you more breakthrough points anyway, and who doesn't love breakthrough points?

Rocketlex on
    While you were asleep, your windows told me all your secrets.
  • NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Has anyone figured out what the "Speed" bonus is when you finish a fight? Is it just the number of turns, or is it actual time elapsed?

In other words, if I sit there for a minute between turns, does that penalize me? I'm guessing not, but want to make sure.

I'm wondering this also. Highest speed bonus I've gotten was 80%, and that was after finishing the game in like 5 moves total, seems pretty restrictive if it's only moves and not time.

Nishu on
  • aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    all I know is the Speed Bonus sucks in comparison to the Overpower (or whatever it's called) bonus. Even though it only goes up to 99%, you seem to get a lot more bonus than that if you deal more than 100% of a units health to it.

Seems like you're better off dragging out combat as long as possible to set up one HUGE multi-hit attack rather than trying to finish it ASAP (point-wise anyway).

aBlank on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    How do you break through the wooden barricades?

I'm guessing it's an item you recieve later as it always is, but the completionist in me can't bear to go to the next stage without finding out.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited November 2009
    a better question would be why a wooden barricade is enough to stop a man who commands giant, fire-breathing beasts

if they had just called them MAGICAL wooden barricades, that would have been enough for me

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • RoxtarRoxtar Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Bought game and slightly disappointed... Its not a bad game really, but compared to puzzle quest its pretty shallow. Not to mention its crashed at least 3-4 times since i've played it. It's something I will still be playing but I cant see it happening for that long.

Roxtar on
  • EdS25EdS25 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Good advice guys. I know I just need some practice. I had never played Twist before so this was kind of a crash course for me. The point was more that the difficulty jump is pretty severe (and nothing you would get a taste for in the demo). And even with that, being overleveled I wasn't really losing any fights. Just getting frustrated that I kind of had to let the opponents attack me. I need to look closer at what I can prevent and what I can't, in which case it will be a 100x better to just start setting up my next ability.

EdS25 on
    Currently Playing : FE:Awakening, AC:NL
    edited November 2009
    I'm only a couple hours in and I already hate the battle music.

I'm starting to get less horrible at the game, though.

august on
    edited November 2009
    My Frost Avis is a killing machine.

The lack of pre-release advertising on Steam (thanks Microsoft?) plus word of mouth on game-stopping bugs probably means that the pc version of this was essentially sent off to die.

I think I'm enjoying it more than Galactrix, but doesn't solve that game's basic problem of making me want to boot up Puzzle Quest.

august on