As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Card issues

BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
My EVGA brand PCI-E geforce 9800 had a little problem while playing Dragon Age last night, graphics got all fucked up and the system locked up. Upon restart the graphical screw-up hadn't gone away. After messing around with drivers and removing/cleaning/reinserting the card itself it's become clear that the card is probably busted. The symptoms are: the entire screen is covered with various lines and pixels in a vaguely grip-like pattern, that move around when elements on the screen move, and make it difficult, though not impossible to read text. The system works normally otherwise. The card's fan is still spinning, and it's still outputting the graphics well enough for me to use the computer and make this post.

So my question is, is there any arcane solution to this problem that I haven't thought of? And if not, should I get a new card? Any recommendations on cards preferably under $120?

BahamutZERO.gif
BahamutZERO on

• MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Did you check the monitor cables and make sure they are snug? My old monitor had problems like that if the cable was a bit loose.

Myiagros on
    iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wiggled them around, didn't change it.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This sounds very similar to what happened with my 8800 a few weeks ago. Playing COD4 it just crashed. Then after rebooting I got a lot of artifacts and stuff on screen that would sometimes not be there after a reboot.

Have you tried a different video card? For me, my card had started to die as everything worked fine when I put in my older video card.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • RynaRyna Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    If you've done all the things you said (multiple reboots, altered drivers, remove/clean/reinsert card) and things are the same, then I'd be inclined to say its fucked.. It'd still be useful to try another video card, 'cause who knows, it might be something else.

For around us$120, you're looking at a geforce GTS250 or maybe a cheap Radeon HD5750, but if I were you, I'd snatch a nice 2nd hand Radeon 4870 from Ebay.

Ryna on
  • fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    i'm having issues with my EVGA GeForce 9800, and i really suspect that the cooling is inadequate on the EVGA cards.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha, welp. I started my computer this morning and was shocked to see the graphics working properly after it got to loading windows. I opened a browser to come post this good news, and in the middle of writing it the screen suddenly completely fucked up and the computer locked up. (posting this from a different system)

Well played, video card. Well played indeed.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I had this problem a year or two ago and it was because of corrupted RAM.

I'm going to hijack this thread and ask a question - today, all my avi and Media Player files show up in black and white. If I open a .mov file in Media Player, it's fine and colorful and Flash movies work fine, too. Is this a problem with a codec?

I have Windows XP sp3.

emnmnme on