As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Xbox 360 controller for Windows

HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Games and Technology
So I just got a wireless reciever for a 360 to use on my laptop. I'm having problems with it because when it asked for drivers and I pointed it in the right direction Windows decided that it should be disabled now and forever. So I can't even use the wireless controller anymore. Anybody have this problem?

Also now that this controller has become the official controller of windows does anybody know of any games that support it out right? Rainbow 6 Vegas has a dedicated control scheme for it and Marvel Ultimate Alliance says it can use it but none of the buttons match up.

steam_sig.png
HyperAquaBlast on

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All Games for Windows games should support it right out of that bat. And with the wireless reciever I think you're supposed to install the drivers first, then plug the device in. Hope that helps.

Rook on
  • Options
    legionlegion North YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Yeah, drivers first, then plug in the receiver. That's what the shitty instructions say, at least. And I call them shitty, of course, because they don't fucking work. It's a good place to start though, by installing the drivers on the disc before doing anything else.

I've been wrestling with mine all night, ever since getting off work, and I've yet to get the damn thing to even sync. Windows is recognizing the receiver for me, at least, and claiming it should be working. From what I've been reading online, other usb devices have a tendency to screw with the receiver though (a sign of shitty drivers, methinks), so my next step is to unplug everything but the receiver and go from there.

Now, if only it wasn't my mouse and keyboard that were the other usb devices... :P

legion on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I honestly haven't had any problems with it, just hit the sync button and it worked first time.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It could be a vista compatibility issue, in my case. It'll be my first one as far as hardware drivers go with the retail version of Vista, if so.

I'm going to see if I have any better luck getting it to work with my laptop running XP, in any case.

Edit: It looks like a Vista issue, after all. The install / sync instructions worked like a charm on my laptop, and I got the controller to sync with the receiver and work properly on my first try. Shitty instructions, indeed... :P

legion on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ok so i keep reinstalling the drivers and it says they were good but windows decides to disable the device still. wtf?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    freshmasterfreshfreshmasterfresh Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just went to Fry's with my Grandma to get a laptop for her to connect to her VPN at work. She had all of three choices for laptops without Vista on them. It's a good thing she didn't wait another month or she probably would have had to wait for an order through newegg. They seem to still have a decent selection of non-vista machines.

*spit*

freshmasterfresh on
    happysig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Make sure that if you have any other USB controllers or joysticks hooked up, you disconnect those first. It doesn't play nice with others.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Honestly, aside from Stalker, Vista has been playing nice with everything. X360 controller for me worked fine, but I only have a USB mouse and not keyboard.

Rook on
  • Options
    WordsmithWordsmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So I have the charger attachment for my 360's wireless controller. Can I use that to connect it via usb to my computer? Because I tried it and my computer played dumb and wouldn't ever see it as a game controller.

Wordsmith on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Wordsmith wrote: »
    So I have the charger attachment for my 360's wireless controller. Can I use that to connect it via usb to my computer? Because I tried it and my computer played dumb and wouldn't ever see it as a game controller.
    You mean you only have the charger attachment? By itself, the play and charge kit won't let you use your wireless controller on the PC. It only provides a power feed for the controller, not a true wired connection, so even when pluged in to your PC via the charger's usb cable, the controller will still be working wirelessly.

You'll be able to use the play and charge kit in conjunction with the wireless gaming receiver though. The charge kit will keep the battery topped up, while the receiver will provide the connection.

legion on
  • Options
    WordsmithWordsmith Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So you HAVE to have the wireless receiver. Which I'm sure is another 30 to 130 $.

Wordsmith on
  • Options
    Patches7o9Patches7o9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wordsmith wrote: »
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up. So you HAVE to have the wireless receiver. Which I'm sure is another 30 to 130 $.

Actually, the wireless reciever only costs $20 Canadian.

Patches7o9 on
  • Options
    IShallRiseAgainIShallRiseAgain Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    While XBCD custom drivers currently don't work for wireless(http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EEFZEElZZyOnfjYrfd.php), My freind who owns a wired controller says its really good, because you can set the controllers to be keyboard keys, so you can use it for any game.

IShallRiseAgain on
    Alador239.png
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It took my mac mini G4 aprox one week in order to complete 1 WU. D:

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Ok so I found out my problem with my controller reciever. Apparently the thing has been wiped clean of its drivers and now I can't reinstall them. How they got erased I don't know but i found the inf on the cd but it won't take them half way through the reinstall. wtf......

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    capable heartcapable heart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I am also having problems using the wireless receiver with the wireless Xbox 360 controller.

I follow the instructions to the letter: I install the drivers, then plug in the receiver, sync up the controller. Everything seems to be working fine until I actually try to start a game. Games either auto-minimize to the taskbar, and refuse to maximize at all, or they just straight crash to desktop (Oblivion, Jade Empire:SE, R6Vegas). The problem doesn't go away until I uninstall the receiver drivers. I tried both the drivers on the CD that came with the receiver, as well as the slightly newer drivers from the Microsoft website. I've tried setting the controller as the "preferred gamepad," too. I just can't think of where I'm going wrong.

capable heart on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Am I the only one who finds it ironic that a Microsoft controller has so many issues on Windows? I haven't had a problem with my $10 radio shack PS2->USB dongle since the day I bought it (about 2 years ago).

FreddyD on