As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Firefox being ported to the PS3

GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
edited November 2009 in Games and Technology
This is really surprising, apparently Sony is in talks with Mozilla to have Firefox ported over to the PS3. I assume it's to replace the current browser.

It'll be interesting whether it's just the browser engine (Gecko) or the full thing, add-ons and all.

Adblock etc in Firefox on a PS3.. is interesting.

PSN | Steam
---
I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
GrimReaper on

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd be interested in a real browser with built-in video streaming so I could watch Hulu or Youtube on my TV.

Lucascraft on
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Adblock etc in Firefox on a PS3.. is interesting.

A working browser on the PS3 would be interesting. As it stands, it can't do basically all of the things I use the internet for, since those all tend to involve flash and javascript.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I can dig it. Though, I would much prefer if they established a deal where they can use Mozilla for their future consoles as well (since this console gen I've had ZERO time or incentive to fully explore the used $500 machine I bought).

Henroid on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Anything to replace the terribad built-in browser they've got now. I'm all for it, GO FIREFOX! :^:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a real browser with built-in video streaming so I could watch Hulu or Youtube on my TV.
    I thought you could do that already on the PS3. I do remember watching youtube clips on my friends PS3.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Youtube works about 50% of the time on the PS3. I expect most of the HQ/HD videos lock up.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought they were using a browser right now already that was based on webkit, or something?

It's terrible? Really? Does it just lock up, or have rendering issues, or what?

Recoil42 on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I thought you could do that already on the PS3. I do remember watching youtube clips on my friends PS3.

Hulu is blocking the PS3 now (because the browser wouldn't show the interstitial and popup ads), I'm not sure about YouTube though.

Edit: Actually digging further it appears content providers were not particularly happy with Hulu providing content on a free (ad-supported) basis on a platform they deemed to be prime for selling premium content on. Basically they don't care if you watch stuff on your computer (since few people do that), but damned if they're going to let you watch it on a bigger screen if they can force you to pay for it :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Recoil, your sig is absolutely nauseating right now. I'm not saying that as a joke.

Henroid on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

www.tversity.com

Enjoy!

SniperGuy on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I thought they were using a browser right now already that was based on webkit, or something?

It's terrible? Really? Does it just lock up, or have rendering issues, or what?

Netfront is the browser the PS3 uses, it's okay.. but nothing spectacular. It's no webkit or gecko.

EDIT: To say that it doesn't handle the ACID tests well would be an understatement.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=17&m_articles_articleid=1449

Looks like this one's gonna stay a rumour. Disappointing.

Diarmuid on
  • GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Pity, nice idea though.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Seems like an odd choice considering all Sony PC's are now coming with Chrome as the default browser (linky).

Edit: Missed the rumor link. Reading is a fail!

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]