As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Delzhand's Game Art: Sexy polygons on pg 2

2»

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    New unrelated stuff. I had never modeled anything more complex than an ice cream cone with a sword, and I certainly never skinned or rigged before, so this was fun for me. Started on Friday. There are some animations in the .x file, but I haven't figured out how to use them in XNA yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htARNYAkE_Y

I used box modeling for the body and edge extrusion for the face. I learned a ton from experience, so I can probably do better on the next one, especially with UV unwrapping so all the adjacent polygons are together. My UV map is horrible, that's why the pocket lines don't line up and such.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Man, was I just starting 2.5 months ago? Crazy!

Most of the build up was posted in the doodle thread, but I thought I'd revive this thread because I don't want to post all the steps of a WIP and dominate the thread with incremental stuff.

acecl.png

I scribbled out a really basic UV map just to get colors in the right places. I don't like the skirt the way it is now - it's an edge from the waist extruded downward, which causes some really weird problems with normals where it connects. I was thinking about maybe duplicate the polygons that form the outer thigh/hip area, scaling them up slightly, and then extruding them towards the centerline. That won't work with the bust though. Anyone know how to go about modeling clothing? Should I just start with a cylinder and subdivide down from that?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Man, was I just starting 2.5 months ago? Crazy!

Most of the build up was posted in the doodle thread, but I thought I'd revive this thread because I don't want to post all the steps of a WIP and dominate the thread with incremental stuff.

http://www.delzhand.com/files/acecl.png

I scribbled out a really basic UV map just to get colors in the right places. I don't like the skirt the way it is now - it's an edge from the waist extruded downward, which causes some really weird problems with normals where it connects. I was thinking about maybe duplicate the polygons that form the outer thigh/hip area, scaling them up slightly, and then extruding them towards the centerline. That won't work with the bust though. Anyone know how to go about modeling clothing? Should I just start with a cylinder and subdivide down from that?

Depends how you want to work. I almost always start with subd if I'm modeling anything that has curves. Then I apply the modifier and work the geometry down. As far as clothing you should look into the shrink wrap feature in blender http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Jaguarandi/SummerOfCode2008/ShrinkwrapModifier

Might make your life a bit easier. I've never used it myself as I've never done any clothed character modeling.

Edit. Also, you can fix that normal problem you're having by splitting that edge (v key). Just remember that it will double the verts on that edge.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Using the outer polygons as base for a shell seems to have worked.

acedelia3d.png

I still haven't decided what to do with the head. I really like the hair with the bangs, and once I apply the mirror modifier I'll probably do some less symmetrical ones, and tilt the hat askew.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    ZaengoZaengo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    an awsome looking game, then i turn the page, and see big ol titties? fuck yes.

Zaengo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    your... your not coming back here are you delzhand?

Zaengo on
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Haven't gone anywhere. I just haven't really done much graphically. Mostly work on animations, which if they were easier to capture, I would love to post here for critique.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    im curious... is this 3d thing with the chick in steampunk metroid land what youve been working on? or is it a separate project from the 2d thing?

Zaengo on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited February 2010
    it... is the 2d thing
    he switched over to a kinda 3d-sidescroller thing

RubberAC on