As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Linking together a four-port switch and wireless router?

freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jonesand his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
Basically what the thread title says. For some reason, no matter how I change my router settings in a wireless router, it will not forward my ports, which is kind of an important feature. The problem is solved when I just use my four-port switch, but obviously I can only plug in four devices at a time and my network keeps growing, plus I'd like to be able to use my laptop without being plugged in all the time. Is there a way I can connect a wireless router to the switch and set it to a subnet so it successfully transmits through the apartment? Just plugging it in didn't seem to work, I'm guessing there's some kind of technological voodoo I have to perform, but I have no idea how.

freakish light on

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This needs more information. Where does the internet gateway sit here?

Chances are you need to do the following -

turn the router functions off on the wireless router, and have it just act as an access point.
    Have your internet gateway act (either a cacble or ADSL modem, no doubt) as the router and forward the ports.
    The switch shouldn't involve itself in pretty much anything, as it's just a switch, just plug the router, gateway and whatever else into the switch ports.

I could be more specific if we knew the exact devices involved.

(I'm making the assumption that your internet access point has router functionality, if not then information me)

Apothe0sis on