As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Step 5: Remove [DOODLES] from microwave, mix in content of flavor packet. [NSFW]

• Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited November 2009
    still a WIP trying to get the water right before i go any further but comments welcome :) its for my self improvement challenge
    boatstorm3.jpg

legg_ship.jpg

Remember water is a complicated thing because there's so much crap going on with it:
    Reflection- Water is not blue, unless it's been dyed or chlorinated to be blue. Water is clear. If water appears to be a color, it is because it is reflecting its surroundings: in most cases, this is the sky.
    Form- Water is a three-dimensional object, with three-dimensional form. It can be flat, but in the middle of a storm in the middle of an ocean, you're probably going to get some big peaks and valleys- think of it as a mountain range. Having form also means it has light and shade, same as any other object, and should be rendered accordingly.
    Transparency- Tying back into the reflection bit, consider the angle you are viewing the surface of the water. If your eye is viewing a calm body of water from a just off-parallel angle, it will appear almost as a perfect mirror of the sky due to reflection. But if you look straight down at that same surface, it will appear transparent. Think, then on how this effects water in rough seas- a wave angles the surface of the water up, so if you are viewing it at a near-parallel angle, where the surface rises, the water will be more transparent, and therefore darker than the tops of the peaks and the bottom of the valleys which remain closer to a level angle, and are shown to be reflecting more light.

Now the problem with what you've got is that you're not taking much of this into consideration: you've decided you know water is blue (regardless of circumstance) and that it's got some spray, where it appears white. In some general sense and under many circumstances this is true, but not under the circumstance you've presented:

-The light source is a cold grey/blue-green. What do white things look like under a blue light? They look blue. Thus, your whitecaps, and even more conspicuously, your sails, don't look like they belong to the same scene as the rest.
    -The water is a bright royal blue. This doesn't make much sense considering the color of the sky, which is that same cold grey/blue-green of the clouds. You could argue that the sky is royal blue in your picture, but only because of that waterspout sucking your blue water up there, and you end up justifying a mistake with another mistake. The color of the water, and the spout, is more realistically reflect more of the color of the sky.
    -There is no real form to your waves- you have some horizontal blue light and dark strokes going back and forth to indicate some roughness, but then you're got white bits that indicate much larger waves that indicate much larger displacement of waves- these things not matching each other doesn't make a lot of sense, and makes the whole thing look flat and unrealistic. If you had the blue strokes flowing up and down the form of the waves, this would make a lot more sense.
    -Another thing killing the form is that light is not effecting the water in any way- waves don't have shadows, the boat and whales(?) don't cast shadows on it, and the color of the water is not being effected by the light being cast on it. Don't get caught up in local color! No color can be seen in any object without light, so considering how the light is effecting that color is critical to choosing the appropriate color to actually put down on the canvas. Don't think so much in terms of "brown ship, white sails, blue water, grey sky", and then leaving it at that. What does a brown ship look like under grey light? What does it look like in the shade?

Also I might suggest looking up some more sailing reference and thinking about it a bit: You've got a ship with full sails up, in the middle of a huge storm, but judging by how straight up and down the sails are, you'd think they were made of concrete. They're made to catch wind! They're going to billow if they're up in a storm. (Would they even be up in a storm? I'm no sailor, but I would think going full-sail in a massive storm would be a good way to capsize your ship and/or ruin your sails. Might want to research that.)

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2009
    Damn, bacon, that sky! awesome.

And yeah, you'd at least reef in a storm - and with a frickin' waterspout around you'd probably try and take the masts down altogether if possible, because if they snap you're pretty much fucked. Artistic license will let you leave them up, but at least some of the sails should be down - or if you want to portray rather more disarray, you could have one or two flapping around. See

ship_storm.jpg

for example, or any of these images - see how much bare rigging is apparent.

tynic on
  • brokecrackerbrokecracker Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mes3 wrote: »
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Mes3: Virginia? I think that makes three of us (that I know you). Me you, and guy bell. If either of you are near northern VA, we should meet up and draw!

<- Indiana. :P

Word, Solidarity Hoosier. I'm down in Evansville, Where you at?

Also, I like the bird...

brokecracker on
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Indiana wut wut

Fugitive on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Delzhand, NightDragon;

Thank you : )

F87 on
  • Mes3Mes3 Lurking behind your toilet Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Mes3 wrote: »
    Sublimus wrote: »
    Mes3: Virginia? I think that makes three of us (that I know you). Me you, and guy bell. If either of you are near northern VA, we should meet up and draw!

<- Indiana. :P

Word, Solidarity Hoosier. I'm down in Evansville, Where you at?

Also, I like the bird...

I live up in Ft. Wayne.

Mes3 on
    http://rjnewman.blogspot.com/ | Follow me on instagram @ messiah3x
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    god bacon I enjoy your paintovers so much I'm going to become a groupie

Kochikens on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Doodle environment
    124ot.jpg

I think my understanding of composition and perspective is starting to click.

winter_combat_knight on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    WCK that is one of the better pieces I have ever seen from you. Ever. Keep at the learnings~

NightDragon on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    bacon thanks very much mate. You have sort of blasted my mind into thinking about more stuff. FuKin awesome dude. Im really keen to get started on making it better but my Intuos 3 broke yesturday *sigh...

Thanks again bacon I have allot to think about and your paint over is awesome i like the glowing light

Leggraphics on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Trying to write at that distance from the paper [parchment? olol] would be silly!

I write like that sometimes D:

deadlydorito on
  • LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Trying to write at that distance from the paper [parchment? olol] would be silly!

Then you are a very silly person

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
    edited November 2009
    WCK that is one of the better pieces I have ever seen from you. Ever. Keep at the learnings~

I agree. Its probably the best, not in terms of rendering, but in that its an interesting composition and it sets a mood/story.

Heres a pencil drawing i did of it tonight. I know the angle/perspective is looking all sorts of screwed up, but lets just say i had a cool idea for a wikid looking angle, but it failed:) damn!

127ha.jpg

winter_combat_knight on
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think it's because of the left side of the castle. You have everything slanted to the left so it looks like it's leaning in that direction. I think if you follow the line of the mountain your perspective will be more successful.

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

I agree. Its probably the best, not in terms of rendering, but in that its an interesting composition and it sets a mood/story.

Heres a pencil drawing i did of it tonight. I know the angle/perspective is looking all sorts of screwed up, but lets just say i had a cool idea for a wikid looking angle, but it failed:) damn!

I think you need to do some research into and study ellipses in perspective. The biggest problem with that picture is not the castle (although it IS a problem) but the ground plane. Knowing how ellipses work in perspective will wildly help you in drawing practical environment perspective out of your head.

For example. Many problems still abound (and I couldn't help just using the skew tool for a quick fix on that castle), but the environment is grounded with a working ground plane. You don't necessarily need to draw the horizon line and perspective lines, but you for certain have to keep them in mind.
    groundplane.jpg

Wassermelone on
  • deadlydoritodeadlydorito __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009

Then you are a very silly person

I am a swell kid.

deadlydorito on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Capture-1.png

another odosketch

was feeling a bit blue today

get it? BLUE?? AHAHAHAHAHno but seriously screw this day

mensch-o-matic on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh Menschy.

Here is a sketch for the art challenge.

Original:
    psh.jpg

New version so far:
    redo.jpg

Feedback would be wonderful. I plan on making the main guy spikey and matching up the original more.

F87 on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Had time to finish this off:

hally_vara_garden.jpg

Now to do its companion image.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Capture-1.png

another odosketch

was feeling a bit blue today

get it? BLUE?? AHAHAHAHAHno but seriously screw this day

I really like this.

Kochikens on
  • LeggraphicsLeggraphics Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks to bacon I tink im moving this into more of a good way now:) im liking how its coming now. Bacon your awesome :)
    boatstorm4-1.jpg

Leggraphics on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Much much better.

DeeLock on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yeah thats workin out much better.

pic164.jpg
    pic166.jpg
    pic165.jpg

wakkawa on
  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    god damn, dude. seriously.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    thanks kochi :)

tf87: there's a kind of...primal/tribal aesthetic you took out of the second picture

it makes the staff the foreground dude's holding look out of place. i'd definitely recommend losing the shirt and maybe beefing him up some more. also: tattoos

everything is improved by tattoos

mensch-o-matic on
  • FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    homeboy knows his way around a lady

if i were a lady, i'd probably do him for that knowledge.

do him like whoa.

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited November 2009
    F87 wrote: »
    Oh Menschy.

Here is a sketch for the art challenge.

Original:
    psh.jpg

New version so far:
    redo.jpg

Feedback would be wonderful. I plan on making the main guy spikey and matching up the original more.

okay, so your composition is much better, your environments are not crooked, there is a bit more action to this second go around.

however, the way they are having a stand-off takes away from something i took from the first drawing which I assume was an unintended effect. in the original, the way that the foreground dude's legs are lined up makes it seem like he could almost be leaning forward. i'm pretty sure that's a mistake, but the idea of that could really add something to the entire piece. version 2, you have two dudes who we assume are in a battle for obvious reasons: they got weapons n' shit and i think that's a fire. but then when we look at the postures of said dudes, we may think otherwise. this ain't no battle, they are both wide legged in defensive postures. this is a refractory period. this is a dude who just did it and is trying to shield his flaccid wingwang.

no one is about to attack according to their stances, so you have to make it that way. chose the man in the foreground, he's the one you want to be the attacker in order to really draw the viewer into the dynamics of the battle. have him leaning off the edge of his building, pushing off towards the other dude and about to coolly and calmly wreck some shit

edit: i realize now that this may not make all that much sense at some parts as i am wicked sleep deprived. maybe i'll attempt a paintover to show what i mean if i can get my tablet or my scanner running

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    F87
    I feel like the first pose has more drama....

NakedZergling on
    edited November 2009
    oh god i am going to take that as validation because i am seriously nervous about my idea being shot down. that is like my first critiques i have ever offered here

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
    edited November 2009
    F87
    I feel like the first pose has more drama....

I agree
    F87 wrote: »

Original:
    psh.jpg
    [

This one looks more interesting. The angle/compostion works better. plus the design of the foreground character in the first sketch looks more badass. The second one looks like a generic long haired final fantasy character. Not saying the second one sucks, just the first ones concept is much cooler. :)

Wassermelone - Cheers for the paintover mate!

winter_combat_knight on
    edited November 2009
    yup. printer is broken and i haven't drawn with my tablet in months so i'm not going to even try that

it seems like other people agree to some extent though

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    futore did you see- I updated my blog just for you

Tam on
    edited November 2009
    yes yes! i saw it like the day after you did it and was so happy. i showed my girlfriend and she loved it too!

seriously, i know you say you cannot recreate/repeat characters, but i always love the simple creature concepts you do

[huff puff blow up tams ego huff pufffffff]

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Fuckin' sweet man.

Godfather on
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I agree with the above.

Also forgot one.
    pic167.jpg

wakkawa on
  • ChillyChilly Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I think the only way I could enjoy that pic any more is if I took it, ground it up into a fine powder and snorted it. Kudos Wakkawa.

Chilly on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    That's like the fifth piece of the same woman.

I don't think i've ever seen you give any one of your other women that kind of treatment Wakk.

Godfather on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    wakk likes his ladies mowhawk'd and a little rough around the edges

(but still gorgeous)

beavotron on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Thanks to bacon I tink im moving this into more of a good way now:) im liking how its coming now. Bacon your awesome :)
    boatstorm4-1.jpg
    legg, maybe you should make it clearer how big those critters are? took me a while to realize they were pulling the boat, and the foreshortening on the rope in the first draft was way off if they're not enormous. Are they closer to the size of the boat, or seal-sized? Their seal-like heads make them feel seal-sized.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
This discussion has been closed.