As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

a nubs work

rosienskirosienski Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Artist's Corner
hey all, im a long time lurker (several years probably) finally getting around to posting some of his stuff.

the images are a little on the large side... sorry about that

comandoshootingbadguys.jpg

lazerheadguy.jpg

pilotguy2.jpg

commandoguy1.jpg

so yeah, what do you think? anything in particular I should be focusing on?

rosienski on

• Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2007
    Well, my first question would be what is it you are trying to focus on? Otherwise the standard vanilla responses still apply.

So yeah, what are *your* intentions?

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I actually felt pretty good about these doodles, they seem to carry alot of life in them.

Pointers- The way you are breaking down your people into shapes is leading to flatness in some areas. The hands on the last drawing stick out that way. Its easy to tell that you are taking a layered aproach (which is good) and developing your people out of some sort of frame (which is also good) but you should really try to retain more that inital framework in the later stages, it will give your people more volume.

Greatnation on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    you better pay attention in class you slacker!!!

I like ya doodles, but i can tell you only understand hands from general positions.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    A good start; now complete your doodles on clean sheets of paper.

supabeast on
  • Options
    couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Doodles are wonderfully appealing, I can already see that you enjoyed doing these.

To be honest, it's rather hard to give a proper critique to a few doodles... Could we see a (semi) finished piece?

Also, your ass better be paying attention in class! :P

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Along with what Elliotto said, I'd just work on making your drawings look cleaner and less messy.

And, of course, stop using lined paper.

Doodles are wonderfully appealing, I can already see that you enjoyed doing these.

To be honest, it's rather hard to give a proper critique to a few doodles... Could we see a (semi) finished piece?

Also, your ass better be paying attention in class! :P

.....................................comic sans?

D:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ......comic sans?

D:

This seems appropriate.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    ......comic sans?

D:

This seems appropriate.

You made that toast? Cause it's hilarious and great.

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually, that's Sonic beating the crap out of Penny. He drew it.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    heh heh, yeah. i have a lot of trouble finishing my work. almost all of my stuff is done in the margins. yay ADD! i appreciate the critiques though. you guys are a great resource and i have a lot of respect for your opinions. ill post some more stuff later today after class.

-Mr Elliotto- my intentions are to move away from the cartoony side of things and start making things a little more realistic. things i know i need to work on are of course anatomy, shading, hands (guess that falls under anatomy) and making things a bit more dynamic.

-Greatnation- i see what you mean about flatness. thanks for the advice. ill work on practicing some of my structure, and er... paying attention in class.

-kewap- yup, hands. arg.

rosienski on
  • Options
    SavedSaved Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh man that space marine is totally showing that quadratic function who's boss!

Saved on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    haha well i THOUGHT i had something more finished. looks like almost all of my work is done on lined paper. heres some stuff from a year ago. my skills haven't really developed much since then.

crotchkick.jpg

eveyone likes a good kick to the crotch picture.

railcattank1.jpg

ill try and finish some stuff by the end of the week.

rosienski on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Ack, try to keep your image sizes down (pixels). That last post is breakin' mah H-scroll.

......comic sans?

D:

This seems appropriate.

hahaha, oh man, I forgot about that. That was a hell of a lot of fun. :D

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    ok, heres something a little more finished. its my firstish attempt at coloring in photoshop so its a little sloppy.... aw, who am i kidding, all of my stuff is sloppy. anywho,

snugglekittyscolorsm.jpg

awwwwwww kitties

rosienski on
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    More contrast with the colours helps bring out the form... or so I've heard.

Two (opposable) thumbs up for the cuteness. I did enjoy the style of the doodles too.

Mayday on
  • Options
    sharkbrainguysharkbrainguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Most of these seem to be lacking any kind of real construction. It's especially noticeable in the hands

sharkbrainguy on
    "He made it to dry land, but instead of freedom he found only alienation and a sense of loss"
    - excerpt from Shark Brain in a strange land
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    any real construction? how do you mean?

rosienski on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    you know ... construction.

How when you're drawing something you first draw a simple skeleton and then elaborate on that. To make your drawings look solid and give them structure and form.

sharkbrainguy on
    "He made it to dry land, but instead of freedom he found only alienation and a sense of loss"
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i do generally do use a skeleton, you can see some of the residual lines in several of the drawings... um, can you give any specific examples? like how my construction is off, and maybe ideas on how to fix it?

rosienski on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I can see that you've used skeletal lines, but they often seem flat or just as though you've ignored them and gone on with your drawings. Your construction needs to be 3d and it needs to inform your drawings.

e.g. this is probably how i'd construct a pose similar to the crotchkick you posted.
    crotchkickit6.jpg

obviously this is more detailed than construction I would really use hopefully so that you can see what I was doing ...

edit: while I'm posting every ten damn minutes like a weirdo, instead of apologizing for the size of your pictors why not just resize them? If'n you don't have software that can do it try irfanview it's free and a tiny download and easy to use

sharkbrainguy on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    i see, thanks for the help. my construction is definitely lacking depth. ill have to take this into consideration.

as for the picture sizes... er... good point. ill fix them as soon as i get the chance (at school right now).

rosienski on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    reindeer!

reindeer2sm.jpg

i read in a reliable publication that cotton candy makes you fart rainbows.

rosienski on