As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    BlueBlue wrote: »
    What???? You mean there are winners and losers? Brutal. What's terrible is that in the replays you can see exactly what they did to win so it just continues the cycle of grief.

Yeah it's like someone griefs you, then you watch the video to see how you did it. Now you have his better build order and are using it and, oh no! You were turned into a griefer and you didn't even know it was happening!

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheStig wrote: »
    Hahaha, what are you guys even talking about. How do you grief someone in starcraft? I can't even imagine how it is possible. But then again I played ultima online. Can you force people to play you over and over now or what?

You play them online once and be totally better than they are. It's a total grief, the last time someone was better than me at a game it totally ruined my day. That 5 minutes it took them to defeat me so badly that I had to move on and face someone else was like an eternity.
    Good job wasting everyone's time with your inability to understand other people's problems.

SithDrummer on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'd say that when high level players deliberately start matches against new guys purely so they can stomp them utterly and rub their faces in it, it's either griefing or pretty close to it.

subedii on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Hahaha, what are you guys even talking about. How do you grief someone in starcraft? I can't even imagine how it is possible. But then again I played ultima online. Can you force people to play you over and over now or what?

You play them online once and be totally better than they are. It's a total grief, the last time someone was better than me at a game it totally ruined my day. That 5 minutes it took them to defeat me so badly that I had to move on and face someone else was like an eternity.
    Good job wasting everyone's time with your inability to understand other people's problems.

If you thought those four posts were a waste of everyone's time then I can see where you might get the idea that winning was a grief tactic. The closest thing to SC having griefers is people starting team matches and then having your teammate turn on you after 30 minutes. Short of banning people who appear way too good for their rank, Blizzard is doing their best to address the problems.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HELLO THREAD

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU PLAY AN RTS ONLINE YOU ARE GOING TO GET OWNED BY PEOPLE INFINITELY BETTER THAN YOU

THIS IS A THING THAT WILL HAPPEN

POSSIBLY A LOT

DEAL WITH IT

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    HELLO THREAD

SOMETIMES WHEN YOU PLAY AN RTS ONLINE YOU ARE GOING TO GET OWNED BY PEOPLE INFINITELY BETTER THAN YOU

POSSIBLY A LOT

DEAL WITH IT

I agree, it's a shame that Blizzard are trying to cut down on that. Really, what the heck are they thinking?
    :P

subedii on
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    HELLO THREAD

POSSIBLY A LOT

DEAL WITH IT

You might want to google "CAPSLOCK" so you won't look like a retard.
    subedii wrote: »
    I'd say that when high level players deliberately start matches against new guys purely so they can stomp them utterly and rub their faces in it, it's either griefing or pretty close to it.

It's clearly griefing, because it is both a form of lying and being a dick, both of which are understood by people who aren't on the internet to be socially unacceptable.

programjunkie on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

If you thought those four posts were a waste of everyone's time then I can see where you might get the idea that winning was a grief tactic. The closest thing to SC having griefers is people starting team matches and then having your teammate turn on you after 30 minutes. Short of banning people who appear way too good for their rank, Blizzard is doing their best to address the problems.

Those last two sentences directly contradict each other. First, you say "only teamkilling is griefig", and then you say "Blizzard banning people who tank their ratings is addressing the problem", where "the problem" is griefing. Therefore, you are admitting that there IS griefing besides what you claim is the closest thing to griefing.

Garthor on
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Garthor wrote: »

Those last two sentences directly contradict each other. First, you say "only teamkilling is griefig", and then you say "Blizzard banning people who tank their ratings is addressing the problem", where "the problem" is griefing. Therefore, you are admitting that there IS griefing besides what you claim is the closest thing to griefing.

I do not approve of high-ranked players reseting to beat on people who don't know what they are doing, and I think it is a problem with battlenet that it goes on.
    But, I don't really think of it as griefing, which to me implies a level of sustained harassment against a person.

EX:
    I spawn-kill you for an hour.
    I teleport you to a one-tile island you don't have the means to leave.
    You are holding an in-game funeral for a dead friend and I kill everyone there.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't limit griefing to "sustained" harassment. I think griefing can be seen as the promise of a balanced, reasonable competition (for competitive matches) or an enjoyable time (for less competitive games), and instead, intentionally steamrolling the other person, or abusing a fun-removing tactic, respectively.

It does all come down to wasting people's time and energy (even a short steamroll takes its toll after you get a few of them in a row), and intentionally causing someone to be frustrated.

SithDrummer on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Something like that would be very difficult to prove and could lead to a lot of side effects. I would think... Don't like somebody who's a decent player? Accuse them of luring in noobs and beating on them.

Or even if this event actually happened, it'd be hard to prove the "good" player was doing it maliciously. He could've just wanted a good game and the other guy ended up being godawful. No fault of the good player.

It's a very gray area.

TheBog on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    Something like that would be very difficult to prove and could lead to a lot of side effects.

No it's not. If a player alternates between losing a long streak of games and beating the crap out of people, then the system can easily catch that and kick them in the nuts for it.

Garthor on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

Starcraft specifically, it wasn't a matter of griefing.

This conversation is some bastardized spawn of discussion of the ladder system of Warcraft 3. The official ladder would do the autosearch function to pair you up with people to play.

Fact: Warcraft 3 allowed you to make as many Battle.net accounts as you wished.
    Fact: The match-making was based on a rank / level system, and good people climb fast with many victories.
    Fact: That system can be botched by faking defeats to keep your rank low.
    Inference: People actually did that to stay at low ranks where people who weren't great were.
    Inference: Not everyone with a low ranking B.net profile was a poorly skilled player.

So, a similar system will be in place with Starcraft 2 in terms of a ladder, only there's a new Battle.net where you get one account per CD key; which means making a new account means paying money. One of the benefits of this system is that it cuts back on the aforementioned things people do just to fuck with others.

Some people think that it isn't necessary because they don't believe that people abused the Warcraft 3 system.

To those people I ask what is the drawback of NOT being able to make accounts willy nilly, being locked to one account on Battle.net? I can tell you the benefits.

Henroid on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Garthor wrote: »

I do not approve of high-ranked players reseting to beat on people who don't know what they are doing, and I think it is a problem with battlenet that it goes on.
    But, I don't really think of it as griefing, which to me implies a level of sustained harassment against a person.

EX:
    I spawn-kill you for an hour.
    I teleport you to a one-tile island you don't have the means to leave.
    You are holding an in-game funeral for a dead friend and I kill everyone there.

To be fair, the guy was a complete dick irl. And, seriously, a contested zone on a PvP server is where you hold it? They may not have asked for it, but they did lay out some tempting bait.

Otherwise, I agree with this assessment. It may not be griefing, but it is unnecessary.
    Unless you have a tiny dick. Then you need all the help you can get.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited November 2009
    HELLO THREAD

POSSIBLY A LOT

DEAL WITH IT

Here are the Blizzard forums.

Go be loud and obnoxious there, where it's their second language.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I am late to the party but what's this about no LAN support? Because LAN is pretty much all I did with Starcraft. It colored my high school years (also my friend who figured out the exact order of hotkeys to quit the game in about half a second at said LANs).

electricitylikesme on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You'll have to have an internet connection to authenticate with battle.net while playing LAN games, basically. All/most of the game traffic will stay in the LAN, with a few packets sent out to Blizzard to ensure you're not pirating the game.

When the thread title was set, Blizzard hadn't revealed this much and a lot of people thought we would be forced to play all games through battle.net servers. But still. No random LAN matches without internet or out in the middle of nowhere anymore.

Frem on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The thread title has needed updating for a long time. Like a month after the news hit, it turned out it wasn't really that bad; you can play on a LAN but at least one person on it needs to run a Battle.net authentication (I'm guessing the host of the LAN game).

This argument about good players and bad players is kinda really not a Starcraft specific thing.

Henroid on
  • MaceraMacera UGH GODDAMMIT STOP ENJOYING THINGSRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I don't like thread resurrecting or anything, but the Starcraft 2 website has been updated a fair amount.

Much of it is background stuff, but there's also a clip of how the zerg changeling unit works, and a page on the making of SC2's 1v1 maps.

Nothing earth-shaking, but interesting.

Macera on
    xet8c.gif
    edited November 2009
    Macera wrote: »
    I don't like thread resurrecting or anything, but the Starcraft 2 website has been updated a fair amount.

Much of it is background stuff, but there's also a clip of how the zerg changeling unit works, and a page on the making of SC2's 1v1 maps.

Nothing earth-shaking, but interesting.

Bold because I got over excited when I read that. Not to say that morphing into another unit as a disguise isn't awesome, but I cannot see how in multiplayer that would work. You would know how many units are in a specific group, and you would definitely know if you had 3 more in a group of 5.

Also, imo, the making of the 1v1 maps section is pretty cool, considering it is going to become a staple aspect of many online games.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The single-player video had several interesting moments. The bit on
    Agria felt new yet somehow suitable, because grassy human worlds were something we hadn't seen yet, but the text made it clear this was an agricultural colony.

On the flip side, the
    bit in the Protoss world felt very familiar, even if it didn't feel like StarCraft, precisely. Night elves in WarCraft III, anyone? :p

And it was interesting to see how the adjutant had changed.

Shadowen on
  • YannYann Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wings of Liberty? Really?

Yann on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Yann wrote: »

As opposed to? Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne, Burning Crusade, Dark Portal, Brood War, etc etc. Seems to fit to me. As in, there's nothing wrong with it, it probably references the story, it's not "Wii".

Xeddicus on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Wangs of Liberty? Really?

...they could still change it, you know.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: One Over Three

Yeah, I went there.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited November 2009
    Xeddicus wrote: »

As opposed to? Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne, Burning Crusade, Dark Portal, Brood War, etc etc. Seems to fit to me. As in, there's nothing wrong with it, it probably references the story, it's not "Wii".

Not "Wii"? How do you mean?

To me it sounds like it could be the title of a new Tom Clancy book. Or a US Dept. of Defense memo. D::lol:

Yann on
    edited November 2009

To me it sounds like it could be the title of a new Tom Clancy book. Or a US Dept. of Defense memo. D::lol:

As in Wii sounds silly. Still. And for all time. Wings of Liberty is just a semi-bland title like 99% of every other title in existence. So yeah, it could be a new Tom Clancy book :P

Xeddicus on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

As in Wii sounds silly. Still. And for all time. Wings of Liberty is just a semi-bland title like 99% of every other title in existence. So yeah, it could be a new Tom Clancy book :P

To be fair, it's hard to follow STARCRAFT TWO!!! with anything that seems remotely good enough.

Frem on
    edited November 2009
    Frem wrote: »

To be fair, it's hard to follow STARCRAFT TWO!!! with anything that seems remotely good enough.

True. But I bet "STARCRAFT 2: ALL THREE GAMES, ONE LOW PRICE" would come close!

Xeddicus on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    You mean the Starcraft 2 Battlechest?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited November 2009
    I'm not complaining about the 3 games thing, just to be clear. I'm storing that up for if it actually turns out to be a ripoff. I'll assume otherwise until then. However:

The Battlechest? Yeah, in 2015. I don't think many people are going to wait that out. Maybe I'm wrong.

Xeddicus on
    edited November 2009

Starcraft 2: That is Many Tank? Yes?

Yann on
    edited November 2009

True. But I bet "STARCRAFT 2: ALL THREE GAMES, ONE LOW PRICE" would come close!

"Starcraft 2: Now you can't be mad about Starcraft: Ghost anymore..."

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: Warcraft 3 in sppppaacceee

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: Warcraft 3 in sppppaacceee

Subtitled: Now in 3D!

see317 on
    edited November 2009
    What, no "Starcraft 2: The Search for More Money" joke?

Henroid on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Henroid wrote: »
    What, no "Starcraft 2: The Search for More Money" joke?

:^:

Houn on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Somebody make the OP awesome! Brutal Legend put me in the mood to expand my RTS horizons.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Starcraft 2: So expensive you could field a real army.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    SF_Dhalsim wrote: »
    Starcraft 2: So expensive you could field a real army.

Starcraft 2: Might as well be WH40k

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif